Menu

Are you a gifted parent?

If you are identified as gifted please tell us how.  

1. 1. If you are identified as gifted please tell us how.

• I was identified by testing.
    • I was just told I am gifted or attended a gifted program.

As requested. :) This poll is taking into consideration that scores are different now and this will give us a wider range result than breaking down said scores, but to gives us a rough idea... If you are considered academically gifted please vote, again this poll is NOT public.

Edited by melmichigan

There wasn't IQ testing as a matter of course when I was at school. I took an exam at eleven which allowed me entrance (but not a scholarship) to a selective school, but I don't know what the cutoff was. I did an IQ test online for fun a year of two back and it put me in the 140s - I don't know how valid that is.

Laura

There wasn't IQ testing as a matter of course when I was at school. I took an exam at eleven which allowed me entrance (but not a scholarship) to a selective school, but I don't know what the cutoff was. I did an IQ test online for fun a year of two back and it put me in the 140s - I don't know how valid that is.

Laura

I did an IQ test online a few years ago--one of the really long ones, not the bizarre one-page "tests"--and it matched exactly what I found out later my childhood IQ score was. I don't know if many of the online tests are valid but it was interesting to me that they matched exactly.

I didn't know I was IQ tested as a child until after I took that test and mentioned something about it in passing to my dad. I just knew I was in the gifted program and essentially skipped two grades. I found out as an adult that my brother was tested, too (one point off from mine). So they definitely weren't paraded around, our scores :lol:, but apparently we were tested.

LOL.

No, I don't consider myself gifted, though I've been told that after basic (minimal) testing.

I'm smart enough, but dumb as a rock compared to some of the folks on this forum.

I could knock on Mensa's door but they probably wouldn't let me past the secretary's desk. LOL. :lol:

Editied to add that I didn't vote either b/c I don't consider myself gifted.

Edited by Daisy

I didn't vote. I would say by some standards, and according to many descriptions on this board I would be considered gifted. By my own standards and according to some descriptions on this board I would not. However, I have never tried to find any official standards for what is and is not considered gifted.

I was in a program 5-8th grade and tested above with my IQ test.....152 seems to stick in my mind. Does that help me parent? I wish:D

I seem to have a knack for trivia and remembering ridiculous details at times but don't ask me what I had for dinner last night1

If someone took the SAT before 1994, a score over 1250 qualifies for MENSA. You can estimate your IQ from your SAT score here.

Interesting chart, thanks. I found it fascinating that my SAT scores and GRE scores both put me in the same estimated percentile -- varying only by .001! Considering that I took the SAT at 16 and the GRE at 22, I'm impressed at the consistency of the results.

I was tested twice as a child, at 5 for early entry into first grade and again at 7 for my second school's gifted program, but I don't have a clear idea what my score was. I know that it was at least in the 98th percentile, but my parents never told me the exact score.

To Bill: :lol: I vaguely recall a poll listing how members voted and thought I had never seen that before. I thought perhaps" not public" meant that people who didn't vote couldn't see the results but those that did could ie a private poll. Now, if it had said "this is an anonymous poll" that I would have understood. :D

And I was tested in school but we weren't allowed to know the scores. I was always tops of my class however even through graduate school. Granted, I think with each kid, I have lost 10 IQ points due to chronic sleep deprivation and I'm sure now I would score quite low on the WISCIV's processing speed and working memory indices. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think gifted programs existed in the little town I did most of my schooling in. I was consistently the first in most of my classes, and started getting sent up a grade just for reading class somewhere in first grade. I don't remember school ever being a challenge, and I spent most of my ps time being bored. I read a library book after I finished my busywork. Some teachers encouraged this. Some were grandly annoyed by it. *shrug*

When my grandparents adopted me around 11-12yo they started putting me in private schools. Those were a little better at meeting my level.

I did not vote although I was in the gifted pull-out program throughout school. I come from a family with a gifted/highly gifted father, mother, 2 brothers and sister. I was pushed through even though I didn't test quite high enough - how embarassing is that!?? :lol: The only family member that did not test well enough. The school thought with my family background I was close enough! I'm not sure what that says about the program, but there it is. My husband tested gifted though.

Identified by testing...young. Was in a fairly progressive school beginning in 1st grade (progressive meaning they spent 3 years pushing my parents to skip me at least one grade, and when they wouldn't putting me in a "mixed" 3rd/4th grade class... where I was the only 3rd grader :D. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. Things like that are pretty unheard of today).

My husband was also identified by testing.

My oldest son was identified by testing. We know where we fall on the "map" -- but worry more about work ethic and heart issues, more than how "smart" any one of the children are, or appear to be. In the long run, being diligent, trustworthy, honest, etc. will get them further in life.

(Only kidding).

I was tested, along with a group of classmates, towards the end of 6th or 7th grade, as part of a talent search conducted by Johns Hopkins University.

http://www.cty.jhu.edu/ts/

My score came back as 140-something, which surprised a few of my teachers. ;) A few of us were invited to participate in a summer program, but I didn't attend. I'm not sure why, but it might have been the cost. $$$$.

No one who knows me, except perhaps my husband and my mother, would ever believe my score was in the 140s! :lol:

I was never identified as I've never taken an IQ test nor if I had was there any gifted program for me to apply to.

I did enter 1st grade a year early at 5, and graduated 3 months after my 17th birthday. I was still bored all through school. My mother always told me I wasn't gifted, "just smart" - I think she wished I would apply myself - admittedly I didn't apply myself much, as I could get As and Bs without doing much of anything.

According to the SAT converter, I'm 135ish, whatever that means. I think the labels have changed, as has been mentioned before - when I think "gifted" - I think I'm thinking of what's now called "profoundly gifted", which I'm not - like the girl my mom had in her Kindergarten class who immigrated from Russia and taught herself to read Latin script (she could already read Cyrillic) when they spent a year in Italy, then moved to the US and taught herself to read English phonetically before she learned to speak it - all by 5yo. My mom would say, "that's gifted".

Similar to someone else, I can remember tons of bits of facts and things no one else seems to remember, but I can't remember the things that everyone else can - I am enormously time-challenged. Thank heavens for my Palm Pilot - my "external brain" - or I'd never remember to be anywhere at the right time.

Oh, and I'm most definitely not gifted at parenting - especially not parenting snarky pre-adolescents. :tongue_smilie:

Haha, no, I'm a terrible parent. I don't think it's helpful or scientific to do a survey like that (of IQ's) on the board, so I'm not jumping in there. But as far as being gifted at being a parent, no I'm not. I'm lousy and wish I had Nanny lessons or some book on nannying I could read to improve. Hmmm, that's what I need: The Art of Nannying. Maybe there is such a thing? :)

:lol:

If someone took the SAT before 1994, a score over 1250 qualifies for MENSA. You can estimate your IQ from your SAT score here.

According to that chart, I'm a lot smarter than I feel, lol. It shows me about 5 points below both dc (who tested to within 3 points of each other and fall into the HG category).

I was never tested as a kid but never had to do any effort in school till I entered engineering school. According to the GRE/IQ chart I would qualify as gifted. Not sure what would be the IQ though since at the time my English wasn't that good so the verbal part wasn't my best part.

I've been reading a lot of the gifted posts lately and have to say that even though I tested gifted, I still had to work hard to keep up good grades, and I was rarely bored in school. I knew the only way to get to college was an academic scholarship so I had to work hard, even with some natural ability. I was also surrounded by friends and siblings a lot smarter than I was, and a school with a great gifted program, so I never felt like an outsider.

When we received my ACT score, which was a 33, my Mom asked if they were sure it was for the right person. She was surprised that I had scored higher than my other siblings and has since apologized for that remark. But that score didn't mean much to me (besides helping with scholarships) as some of my close friends scored 35s and others got into very prestigious programs. And after reading these boards I realize that drive is more important than giftedness, although natural ability can help.

I had a few more thoughts about this while I was washing dishes. I wonder how much giftedness is about being able to take tests well. Because looking back through my academia I have always been able to take tests well, but perhaps in other "gifted" areas I struggle. For example, I don't retain much of anything I read, unlike my husband who reads more slowly but can give back more details even a year after reading something.

Both dh and I tested gifted. He only tested once, but due to different requirements in different states I lived in I tested 3 times, all with scores in within a few points. And the SAT conversion chart puts me at about the same IQ too. Sadly, I don't even remember what I scored on the GRE, but it was good enough to get me into the program I wanted. :tongue_smilie:

I wonder how much giftedness is about being able to take tests well.

I think true giftedness is independent of this skill, but the measurement of giftedness is heavily dependent on it. For example, I've always been a good test-taker, I took the PSAT, SAT, GRE, and LSAT cold, with no prep whatsoever, and scored in the 99th percentile on all of them, yet DH, who is waaay smarter than I am, would have bombed on those kind of tests. Luckily he was tested when he was quite young, when the IQ tests are more visual/spatial instead of verbal, and he was off the charts on some of the subtests. Yet he nearly failed his A-level exams (in the UK) and only got into college because he talked/charmed his way in. He only got into grad school because someone from Cambridge saw him give a paper and asked him to come do a PhD. If he had gone to school in the US, I'm sure he would have had abysmal SAT/GRE scores as well as a low GPA (he's very ADD & dyslexic), and may have been SOL in terms of college & grad school despite being profoundly gifted.

Jackie

:lol:

I've never seen that before. What a neat link, thank you. For what it's worth, I took the SAT in 1993 and I was IQ tested as a child, and the chart was accurate for me. I didn't know such a thing existed. :001_smile: I wonder how accurate the chart is overall.

Pfft. I was tested at age six and a score in the highly gifted range (Mom went out and bought me MENSA quiz books - no lie) but there is no way that I am practically that smart. Either I tested artificially high, I got a whole lot dumber as I aged, or I have enough ADD tendencies that mask my true brilliance (lol!).

My IQ would put me into the "gifted" category. I was never placed into special classes in school- I don't think our school even had a gifted program- but when I took the Iowa test in first or second grade (don't remember when it was, exactly) my scores ranged from high school level to post-secondary level.

....due to different requirements in different states I lived in I tested 3 times...

I took it twice. Not because I moved or anything. The school administrators must have figured their scoring machine had broken, or something :lol:

Being disinclined to accept the reality of the situation they had me take it again. Just to annoy them I did a little better the second time :D

Bill

Nope, I was not in a gifted program. My IQ is high enough so that I can feel superior; (jk)(actually certain places say my IQ is in the gifted category, it depends on where I look) but obviously some of you parents have all of the gifts. ;) In school, I was able to maintain straight A’s when things were going well (for many years and then again in college). As a child, I devoured tons of books, classics included. Moby Dick was one of my favorite books when I was pretty young, no kidding- weird kid. I always tested well. But don’t ask me what happened. Duh, LOL. (um, kids would be one thing)

Perhaps I am a gifted parent though, maybe I should write that book: The Art of Nannying. Only parenting is a much harder job. :001_huh:

Edited by lovemykids
added more

I was tested, although I don't know my IQ. I did the pull-out crap, although school was still always so easy. I almost always got 99% on those standardized tests (1-2 98%s). I obviously wasn't THAT smart though, because I didn't realize until I was an adult that this was a ranking, not a percentage correct. I always thought, gosh, why do I always get at least one question wrong?? DUH. :lol:

I would actually like to attempt the MENSA test (I know I'm not highly gifted, but I think I might be able to pass as one of the dumber members :tongue_smilie:), but my memory is just SHOT now. :( I can't remember words, can't figure problems out. It's very frustrating, all since having dd.

See, I loved to learn and read and enjoyed adult books from an early age, but some gifted kids really aren't academically inclined like that.

;)

Very true, and I would think that reading at an extremely high level for ones age would be a better indicator of intelligence (at that time) than getting good grades, or being identified as gifted in a program.

Also some very unmotivated, and nonintellectual kids, are gifted. These kids can have a very high IQ and or be extremely gifted in a certain area. But sometimes they may leave you wondering if they are retarded, (jk) or at the very least you might strongly feel that they have some sort of disability. :lol: