Menu

Quote that changed your life?

Is there a quote that has changed your life?

In one of the recent threads a poster paraphrased a quote that made a difference in the direction that her life took. I'm kicking myself for not writing it down. I may not come across it, but now I'm curious which quotes others have found motivational, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to share. :)

I'd have to go search for the exact wording, and author, but yes. It had to do with the Bible existing as a result of the Holy Spirit's working in the Church, not the Church existing as a result of the Bible's words. Not sure if I'm getting that down exactly right, but it pressed us into studying church history -- something we'd never done before and the nine of us converted from Protestantism to Orthodoxy last month because of what we believe now about the church. Our faith has become so rooted and rich as a result, and I'm so thankful for that.

Edited by milovaný

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" Gal 5:28, I think.

Babies want milk. Mature people want solid food. Children want presents (the gifts of the Spirit). Mature people want fruit.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Death is swallowed up in victory. (ICor.15)

God is not dead, nor doth He sleep. (From "I Heard the Bells...)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Build thee more stately mansions, oh my soul... (from The Chambered Nautilus)

OK, take me and let her go. (the noblest thought, from The Diamond in the Window)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The God who gave us life gave us liberty at the same time. The hand of force can destroy them, but cannot disjoin them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would rather be ashes than dust.

I would rather my spark burn out in a brilliant blaze

Than that it should be stifled in dry rot.

Man's chief purpose is not to exist, but to life.

I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.

I shall use my time.

(Jack London. NLA, but it meant a lot to me in my 20's)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's not a quote that changed my life, but it's one that I just read today that I think is right on:

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

-Abraham Lincoln

And another from years ago, that I read in a popular women's magazine:

At your wedding, say good-bye to your best friend--unless your best friend is the opposite sex: in which case you're marrying the wrong person.

I've always thought that was very wise: marry someone who is your best friend. Best friends last. Crushes don't.

This is one that sure helped me during a difficult time:

" 40 Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth.

41 Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me;

42 And none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost." (D&C 50:40-42)

Also,

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the Lord." (From Psalm 113)

And this Persian proverb:

"He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool; shun him.

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child; teach him.

He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep; wake him.

He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise; follow him."

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by,And that has made all the difference.Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

I have a few good ones.

"Creativity is a celebration of one's grandeur, one's sense of making anything possible. Creativity is a celebration of life- my celebration of life. It is a bold statement: I am here! I love life! I love me! I can be anything! I can do anything!"

Joseph Zinker

"We have art in order not to die of the truth."

Friedrich Nietzsche

And although this one could be thought of as just for fun, it helps me every day.....

"Just keep swimming,just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."

Ellen DeGeneres as Dory in Finding Nemo

I like this one

"Grief, with his pick, mines the heart. But he is a cunning worker, hollowing out new caverns where hope can dwell, and deepening the channels whereby joy rushes in."

But not sure it has been life changing...not yet anyway.

One that I cannot for the life of me locate says something about 'the things that await us on the other side of the door...but we have to pass through the door first..' I think it was Rumi or some such poet, I don't know. Sure wish I could find it.

Mine is from The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.

I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference.

I love Robert Frost. I don't know if it's changed my life, but this quote of his comes to mind very often.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

-Abraham Lincoln

That's one of my faves. :001_smile:

I also like "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human traditon and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." Col 2:8

And for those dieting: "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" :lol:

BUT... my ALL TIME favourite quote is from my daughter, when she was 3 years old. She came running into the room with her index finger extended, and excitedly announced, "mommy! Look! It's a burger! I found it in my nose!" :lol:

ETA: okay the booger one was not life changing LOL... but man, I love it!

A little long, but spoke to me immediately:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.â€

This is one I really like, and try to live by:

"One mustn't lose sight of the hard core, which is, do this, do that, love your friends and like your neighbors, be just, be extravagantly generous, be honest, be tolerant, have courage, have compassion, use your wits and your imagination, understand the world you live in and be on terms with it, don't dramatize and dream and escape."

--Rose Macauley

Oh! This is something I think about almost daily. My most life-changing, profound, and sustaining words are from Emily in the play Our Town. Every single word out of Emily's mouth is held deep within my heart. I first saw Our Town when I was 14, and I cried with understanding and gratitude throughout the entire performance. My oldest was recently in a production of OT, and it was amazing. I felt blessed to have had Wilder's words with me all of these years. My son played the dead boy...and that was nearly too much to bear.

"Mama! For just one moment, let's really look at each other!" but there are many.

Edited by LibraryLover

"And I was much further out than you thought, and not waving but drowning. "

It was a powerful reminder to me not to assume that everyone is really "fine" just because they say they are. And it was strangely comforting to know that I was not the only person much too far out.

from this poem:

Not Waving but Drowning

Nobody heard him, the dead man,

But still he lay moaning:

I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking

And now he's dead

It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,

They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always

(Still the dead one lay moaning)

I was much too far out all my life

And not waving but drowning.

Stevie Smith

Oh! This is something I think about almost daily. My most life-changing, profound, and sustaining words are from Emily in the play Our Town. Every single word out of Emily's mouth is held deep within my heart. I first saw Our Town when I was 14, and I cried with understanding and gratitude throughout the entire performance. My oldest was recently in a production of OT, and it was amazing. I felt blessed to have had Wilder's words with me all of these years. My son played the dead boy...and that was nearly too much to bear.

Wow. I've never met another OT lover! This book had the biggest impact on me as a teen! I even dreamed of calling my son Thornton! LOL! Many good quotes in OT!

A little long, but spoke to me immediately:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.â€

This is dh's favorite of all time.

Guest janainaz

I love this quote.

I think a man and a woman should choose each other for life, for the simple reason that a long life with all its accidents is barely enough time for a man and a woman to understand each other and. . . to understand - is to love."

William Butler Yeats

My daily quote to read:

We live full lives only when dreams and being awake are one. ~ Casey Kochmer

Not really a quote but still very inspiring!

My friends and relatives think I'm poor or stingy because I drive a clunker and own old appliances. Ha! I've given 400g to charities, helping restore sight to thousands. And I can keep doing it! ~ Annon Postcard

Mine is from a movie (cheesy- I know) but I always go back to it:001_smile:

"Beginnings are scary, ending are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. You need to remember that when you find yourself at the beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up... and it will too!"

- Hope floats

also I love the simple "Let go and let God"

:D

This is a neat thread! Here are a few that come to mind:

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.â€

Albert Einstein

“You must do the thing you think you cannot doâ€

Eleanor Roosevelt

"What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it."

(I don't know who said this one!)

BTW - I believe that Creekland's quote regarding learning from other's mistakes is also attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt

AmeliaBinMO

Psalm 40 1-3

1 I waited patiently for the LORD;

he turned to me and heard my cry.

2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,

out of the mud and mire;

he set my feet on a rock

and gave me a firm place to stand. 3 He put a new song in my mouth,

a hymn of praise to our God.

Many will see and fear

and put their trust in the LORD.

I think about this daily. I am not in a pit. I am standing on a rock! And I will sing my new song as loudly as I can for as long as I can! I have gained a lot of courage and strength from this verse.

This scripture helped me through several difficult years of my dh being unemployed:

"I was young and now I am old. I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging for bread." Psalm 37:25

I've never thought my children were an inconvenience..;)..but as a young mother it really made me stop and realize the importance of how I parent.

You are not managing an inconvenience, you are raising a human being. - Kittie Frantz

"....Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Wow. I've never met another OT lover! This book had the biggest impact on me as a teen! I even dreamed of calling my son Thornton! LOL! Many good quotes in OT!

:001_smile:Seriously. Our Town was the most pivotal literature of my youth. Nothing touches it. Even today those words have a profound impact on my daily life.

Sounds corny, but there you go.