Menu

What are your favorite chain restaurants?

We're going to be doing a lot of traveling over the next couple months, for dance and skating competitions. We usually have to spend most of the weekend hanging around a hotel, convention center, or skating rink, and the kids don't have time to leave for meals. I usually run out and pick up food between performances. It's easiest if I have a list before we go out of town so I have ideas and maps all ready. We will be in Chicago, Minneapolis, and Omaha so there should be plenty of options.

So what are your favorites if you have to eat at chains? We like

Brueggers

Jimmy Johns

Chipotle

PF Chang

Outback

We don't like McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's KFC, etc.

Any suggestions?

In Chicago, a local "Chicago chain" is called Leona's. Their Italian food is amazing from the stinky rose (roasted garlic) to the pastas, 5 cheese-lasagnas to the pizzas. AMAZING. Take out is FAST and prices are no more than chains! http://www.leonas.com/

I love Bucca Di Beppo and Maggiano's for Italian chains, too. Sign up online at Bucca and get great coupons! Obviously, for Mexican there is On the Border, and fast food Mexican, Chipotle is never a miss for us.

The Midwestern better than McDonald's and BK is called Culver's. Their burgers are called "butter burgers" because they cook them in butter. So tender and yummy. Their frozen custard is fabulous.

If you tell us what arenas in each city, we can get you LOCAL joints which will make you much happier than chains ;-). ;)

In Chicago, a local "Chicago chain" is called Leona's. Their Italian food is amazing from the stinky rose (roasted garlic) to the pastas, 5 cheese-lasagnas to the pizzas. AMAZING. Take out is FAST and prices are no more than chains! http://www.leonas.com/

I love Bucca Di Beppo and Maggiano's for Italian chains, too. Sign up online at Bucca and get great coupons! Obviously, for Mexican there is On the Border, and fast food Mexican, Chipotle is never a miss for us.

The Midwestern better than McDonald's and BK is called Culver's. Their burgers are called "butter burgers" because they cook them in butter. So tender and yummy. Their frozen custard is fabulous.

If you tell us what arenas in each city, we can get you LOCAL joints which will make you much happier than chains ;-). ;)

I should have put Culver's and Olive Garden on my list. We like those too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Know of anything near the Renaissance Hotel in Schaumburg, or the Hilton Garden in St. Charles? It needs to be within about 10 minutes and they have to have takeout. TIA.

I should have put Culver's and Olive Garden on my list. We like those too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Know of anything near the Renaissance Hotel in Schaumburg, or the Hilton Garden in St. Charles? It needs to be within about 10 minutes and they have to have takeout. TIA.

In both places, you'll be close to Portillo's. GREAT hotdogs, burgers, and ribs. Spaghetti and other items fairly decent. St. Charles is a bit more limited, but we always liked The Filling Station if it is still there. You'll find chains galore at the Charlestowne Mall

In Shaumburg, you are close to Woodfield (supposedly America's second largest mall). We love Champps -- American food chain. Good everything. And, of course The Cheesecake Factory :lol:

Lou Malnati's Pizza likely deliver right to you and their deep dish is too die for! Moretti's is fabulous, and Stir Crazy is great if you can find time to eat in! We loved Yu's Mandarin for Chinese. Barnelli's Pasta Bowl has fabulous salads. And, DH reminded my about Egg'cletic Cafe for Breakfast foods that are really cool and fresh!

In Shaumburg, your biggest problem will be getting anywhere in less than 15 mins...and all the above are within 2 miles of you, I think ;-).

Most of the restaurants being mentioned I haven't seen in Canada (I've only lived in Ontario and Alberta though).

That being said, Olive Garden, Red Lobster and Jack Astor's would be ranked high on my list...I haven't seen a Jack Astor's since leaving Ontario though :crying:

My first thought was "Chipotle", but I see you have that covered! :)

Jason's Deli is a fantastic option too. There are a range of healthy and not-so-healthy options, including an ever-increasing number of organic ingredients. My family usually goes straight for the salad bar (which is usually high turnover so kept very fresh), though we like their sandwiches, fruit plates, and baked potatoes as well. (The soups I've had weren't great -- maybe we've just had bad luck?) And afterwards there is "free" soft-serve ice cream.

I also like Schlotszky's. Not quite as fresh and healthy as Jason's, but pretty good by comparison with other chains and quick-serve restaurants. I luuuuurve the "turkey original". :)

And if only there were Wahoo's Fish Tacos more places! :) I miss those desperately from our time in California! :)

While in Omaha be sure to try Runza and Valentino's. Runza has hamburgers, etc., but their most delicious item is the Runza (a hamburger and cabbage calzone-- Mmmm!) Valentino's has pizza and the one on 108th has a fabulous buffet.

http://www.valentinos.com/locations.php

http://www.runza.com/locations

The Garden Cafe is another of Omaha's locally-famous places, but it's a sit-down place.

White Castle. I have to go all the way to Louisville to get my fix.

Waffle House. There's one on the way to Louisville, and plenty once I get there.

Outback. Although the food is not very healthy, IMO. If I'm going to eat unhealthy food, I want it to be cheap.

Friday's -- I like their honey mustard salad dressing and their steaks which have been marinated in bourbon (or cooked in a bourbon sauce, or something -- Jack Daniels, I think it is).

Edited by RoughCollie

Oh my gosh. While visiting DD in Minneapolis we came across Culver's. Delicious! Scroll to the bottom of this post on our blog and you can see how good the frozen custard oreo sandwich was to a four year old.:001_smile:

http://sheridans-shenanigans.info/?p=1238

It's really not hard to find good places to eat, besides chain places, even if you have little time. Chicago is packed full of amazing eateries. Maybe while you are hanging at the hotel, ask the locals about their favs. Dh & I have crossed the US four times, and we almost never ate at a chain restaurant. Food should be an adventure, like life!

It's really not hard to find good places to eat, besides chain places, even if you have little time. Chicago is packed full of amazing eateries. Maybe while you are hanging at the hotel, ask the locals about their favs. Dh & I have crossed the US four times, and we almost never ate at a chain restaurant. Food should be an adventure, like life!

I agree, in theory, and if it was just me and my kids that's what we would do. We're usually getting meals for several other families too, many of whom are picky and want to order something they're already familiar with. When we started this a few years ago most of them were eating McDonalds for every meal. I feel like I've made great progress when I can get them to eat Jimmy Johns!:lol:

The kids are backstage most of the day, so we plan the meals and take orders in the morning, then someone (me) sneaks out when there is enough time between dances to rush out and pick up food. If I had a menu beforehand, and knew that everyone could find something to make them happy, I'd try it. Unfortunately, we'd probably end up with a bunch of kids who wouldn't like their food and a bunch of moms mad at me for trying to be adventurous. :glare:

Chicago area - Panera Bakery. Corner Bakery also good. And can't go wrong with pizza - I vote GIORDANOS!!!!

Leonas is GREAT!!! I wish we had one out here in Elgin!!!

Culvers is kinda fast food - but tastes way better (and they have custard!!!)

Cheesecake Factory is fine if you don't have to watch what you eat ;)

try their fried macaroni balls, followed by cheesecake!!!!!

I would consider checking out Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights. They have a grocery store and a food court, Japanese-themed. The food is prepared very quickly (some already prepared items and made-to-order) and is inexpensive. It looks like it's ~10 min away by car. I think you'll find it fun. You can preview the restaurants online (see website above).

A second vote for Jason's Deli. The one here has a fabulous salad bar. Their sandwiches, potatoes, etc. are huge, so satisfy teen appetites.

One I haven't seen mentioned is Cracker Barrell. We enjoy the inexpensive (less than $10) homecooked meals. They have a large variety of veges, too, which is a plus for me.

We enjoy several already mentioned many times as well, though some are only special treats because of the prices.

While in Omaha be sure to try Runza and Valentino's. Runza has hamburgers, etc., but their most delicious item is the Runza (a hamburger and cabbage calzone-- Mmmm!) Valentino's has pizza and the one on 108th has a fabulous buffet.

http://www.valentinos.com/locations.php

http://www.runza.com/locations

The Garden Cafe is another of Omaha's locally-famous places, but it's a sit-down place.

I love Garden Cafe!

That is always on my list of places to go when I visit Omaha.