Menu

Library now limits check-out to 5 books!!!

I've started doing a tiny bit of homeschooling (afterschooling) with ds this year and am planning to start full time for the next school year. This week our library has limited check outs to only 5 items!!:confused: We use A LOT of living books, plus read alouds and early readers. This will seriously cramp our style!

The next option is an AWESOME library system that is an hour's drive round trip, but I'm afraid of getting overdue charges because I would limit my trips to being fairly infrequent. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? I plan to talk with someone in authority at our library system, but I'm not terribly hopeful about it. Any other ideas? How can I make this workable?

That is terrible!!!

When your child can sign their name, maybe they can get a card too - then you could have 10 books out at a time. We usally have 30-50 books (100 book limit) out but they are mostly picture and easy reader history books. And I turn them in 1x per month approximately. Maybe if you went the same day 1x a week you could use your 10 book limit wisely.

In our local library, when you tell them you are a teacher, you get an extended checkout time on books. (We do not have a book limit that I know of-or at least I've never hit it.) Perhaps something could be arranged since you are now a teacher?

Or, school at the library!:D

Yes, I'm definitely going to have ds get his own library card! My understanding is that the book limit is per check-out, not the total # allowed on the card, but I need to clarify that. The thought of dragging kids in and out of car seats every day to go to the library for a few more books is not appealling but might be better than driving an hour.

I wish my younger ds was a little older, but I think schooling at the library would be difficult unless I get a sitter. I may do it on occasion though--esp when I'm look at a ton of books to decide which ones we'll use. Ironically, the huge library that's farther from me has all kinds of things that would keep the little one occupied. If the local library isn't working, then we might just switch and try to keep very organized about when books are due.

If it helps you to have any data points, we're limited to 100 books per card. We're a family of 4, and have 4 cards. :) Heck, the librarians have been on my back to get my younger his own card, and I finally did.

It seems like our library system does everything it can to encourage heavy usage. And, it makes a whole lot of sense in these days of budget cutbacks. With heavy usage, they can prove how essential they are to the community.

Since it's 5 per check out, could you go in get 5, put them in your car and go back in to get 5 more?

This is sort of like going to a grocery store that has a sale but limits it to 2 items with a $10 purchase. You can buy more, but you have to split it up into different purchases.

Unless your library is the size of a small closet, I think this policy is awful and discourages readership. I would definitely make my opinion known. I would also see if your library would give you a teacher's card, and find a way to play this system -- checking books out in chunks in one trip (arrive at library; check out books; read a book in the children's area; check out more books; go look at some toys; check out more books, etc) and see if you can get more than one card involved (for example, your husband or a card for the kids).

If you wanted to use the library that's an hour away, I would investigate to what degree you'd be able to renew items there. And plan to have trips there, say, every three weeks if the check out period is four weeks. That way you have some extra wiggle room to either miss returning them due to sickness OR to renew them without accumulating a fine. I think it could be a reasonable option, especially if there's something else educational nearby so you could do two things at once -- but again, it could be tricky with a one-year old. I sympathize.

My library has unlimited check-outs. I've never gone past about 80.

I'm glad to hear your support! I feel like I'm over-reacting to a library policy because I'm not an emotional person, but I keep vacillating between outrage and wanting to cry. I never planned to hs, and it's required a huge mental adjustment for me. Now I'm feeling enthusiastic and getting my plans together and BOOM! This policy is a major roadblock! :(

I plan to talk with the library and see if they can make some exceptions for our family. (Funny, last week the librarian said she was shocked that we've never had a lost book with all we check out. I usually have 50-80 out on my card at any given time. We definitely don't abuse the system, but we do heavily use it!)

If it can't be resolved with the local library, I'll probably make plans to use the one farther out. But you are right about making my views known. I will certainly do that!

FIVE BOOKS?!?!? That's so crazy:( I'm assuming the library must be pretty small to establish a policy like this, but it's crazy for YOU to have to work with that! I have come home from the library with a stack larger than that almost every single trip to the library since I was a CHILD.

I would definitely at least consider the library that's far away. If you can check out a large number, keep them a decent length of time (some libraries make you return after 2 weeks, which is really difficult, imo), request holds online, and keep track of your account online, then I would consider a monthly trip there.

I think you should also contact your local library about their new policy. Tell them that you are a teacher and this will make it difficult to provide your students the education they need!

What was the limit before?

We can check out 100 books and up to 10 videos. I'm usually around 30, cause I get overwhelmed with more:)

If I had to stick with 5, though, I would probably get a second and/or third card if I could, let each of the children pick 1-2 books, get a few others of my choice (for school), and go to the library 1-2 times/week. If you could get 15 in one trip, it might not be too awful.

The libraries around us have a 3 week check out period. You can also renew IF no one else has put a hold on the book.

I use several libraries that are 30-50 minutes away....but I only go there once every 3 weeks. I combine that with some other things in those areas so that the longer drive isn't just for library books. Perhaps if you planned to do the same thing for the awesome library an hour away then you could make that library work more effectively, and just use the closer library weekly in between.

And if you decide to try the hour drive, remember to check out some audio books to help the kids with that long drive! We listened to sooo many great books that way. Still do! I typically chose the longer stories so that the kids would really get into the story and by the time we arrived home they'd be asking when we were going somewhere again so they could listen to the rest of the story. I really believe this helped make them the champions of long distance travel that they are....I know most children get antsy on long drives, but mine can do 6 to 8 hours with only a couple of potty/food breaks so long as the story is compelling (and I don't mess up on the CD count and run out of story before we run out of freeway!).

The bigger library may be part of the same system. We order books on line, renew online or by phone, can pick up books at any library we request and return to any library. We live in a small town. See what options you might have. I would drive an hour once a month to use a good library. Than again I drive an hour for most things. :)

What was the limit before?

I'm not sure that there was a limit before--at least I never hit it. Funny thing is that the library we use isn't that small. There are branches within the county that are super duper tiny, but ours is probably 4 times the size of a basketball court.

Hearing your suggestions does make the library that's farther seem more doable. The nice thing is that it is HUGE and has a very large children's area with plenty to keep even my 1 year old busy for extended periods of time. If I can't resolve the problem with our local library, we can make an outing out of the other one. I'm considering a co-op situation nearer to that library, too. Maybe it woouldn't be so bad.

Is there a policy exception in place for educators?

I've started doing a tiny bit of homeschooling (afterschooling) with ds this year and am planning to start full time for the next school year. This week our library has limited check outs to only 5 items!!:confused: We use A LOT of living books, plus read alouds and early readers. This will seriously cramp our style!

The next option is an AWESOME library system that is an hour's drive round trip, but I'm afraid of getting overdue charges because I would limit my trips to being fairly infrequent. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? I plan to talk with someone in authority at our library system, but I'm not terribly hopeful about it. Any other ideas? How can I make this workable?

The bigger library may be part of the same system. We order books on line, renew online or by phone, can pick up books at any library we request and return to any library. We live in a small town. See what options you might have. I would drive an hour once a month to use a good library. Than again I drive an hour for most things. :)

The larger library is a different system--different county. But it's true that lots of people have to drive farther for things. I've gotten so used to carrying armloads of books from our local library and buzzing by there to drop off returns whenever I'm out. It's sooo convenient. Maybe a change would help me be more organized though. (I'm really trying to focus on the positive!;))

Our library limits checked out books to 3 weeks. You cannot renew if there is a waiting list or a hold placed. They charge rental fees for many new books. They charge a fee for all dvds which can only be checked out for 7 days and they cannot be renewed. It usually takes up to 10 days for a returned book or dvd to get from the return drop to the shelf. They charge for interlibrary loans and seriously try to stop you from requesting one. They claim the paperwork is a problem and it "makes the library look bad" to have to get a book that way (?). The public school bus drops an entire load of dc off every afternoon to roam the library. Many of these children stay until after 6pm. They run all over the place, smoke at the entryway doors, and cause general mayhem. There is only 1 computer catalogue in the children's section. There are only 2 for adults.

I do not use our library much.

Can you return books from the library that's further away to the one that's closer at home? I check out books from a town that's 30 miles away and am able to return them to the one 10 miles from home. It's really nice, especially when we get movies or cd's. They have to be returned within 48 hours and I wouldn't be able to drive to town that often.

That is totally insane. What could be the purpose of such a policy?

Is there another library in your system you could go to, and just use ILL, or do all the libraries in your system enforce this ridiculous policy?

Or is there another library from the other system that's closer to you than an hour away, and you could just ILL books from there?

My library is wonderful and doesn't limit number of books or even really how long you have them out, as there are no fines. However, sometimes I want a book our system doesn't have at all, and I can usually get it from the consortium adjacent to ours - I can ILL it from some remote location and have it delivered to the library in the other system that's closest to me. I have a card from a library in each consortium, but I can use it in any library in that system.

Our town has no library, so I buy a subscription from a town in the next county that's an hour away, round-trip. I just make it part of the weekly routine to go there. I usually have holds waiting, so that's motivating, too. At this point, it's a ritual I would miss if I didn't go.

A 5-book limit is really stinky. I wonder what Einstein decided on that.

Sympathies,

Karen

Oh, wow. I can't imagine. ASAP, get every member of your family a card, at least dh, if the kids can't have one yet.

What about the possibility of a teacher card? Teachers have increased borrowing privileges...sometimes more books, sometimes keeping them out longer (up to 6 weeks). A lot of hsers here have them. Some towns allow it, others don't.

5 books? That's insane!

I don't like our local library's 25 book limit (which they frequently let me go over, well every week actually) as the other library we go to has a 100 book limit.

Our little local library is only open Tues/Thurs/Sat afternoons so it's pretty inconvenient most days to go. We try to go once a week and I get out a lot of books for DS there. We also go to a library 30 mins away 1 time a week when we are in that town for swimming lessons. That library is awesome and is open 7 days a week. I do a lot of requesting books online at both library's and that works out really well.

• 1 month later...

I would check into the internet for checking out books at the library that is further away. Our library is always excited to have us check out books. I'm surprised the limit is so low! Goodness...I easily have 50+ at a time because we have day care going on here too. Perhaps if you speak with someone in charge you can get some reason about why they changed it and figure out how to get them to go back or perhaps they will have another solution for you.

It's funny that some of you are all outraged. I guess I've never had a library with unlimited or really high check out numbers. I remember back as a teen having a 10 book limit at a fairly large library. Now our smaller country library has a 3 DVD (adult cards only), and 7 book limit per card. Only DD and I have cards right now and I have a hard enough time keeping up with those books. The boys turn 6 in May and are really excited about getting their own books out. I don't know what I will do when I have to start keeping track of 28 books at a time.

It's funny that some of you are all outraged.

Hmm, yes, well, I regularly email my library to thank them for their patron-friendly policies. I don't think I'd bother much with my local library if I were only allowed 5 checkouts. My library supports reading.

I only have trouble keeping track when I have more than 70 items out.

5 books? That is outrageous.

Our libraries encourage checking out books. The number of books circulated in a year determines how much money they get for new books.

Crazy. We get 30 per card and have four cards. I usually have at least 60 out at a time and we go to the library EVERY week.

Oh, but I do remember only being allowed 6 books at a time when I was a child. It was a tiny library and they wanted to make sure there was enough books for everyone. I hated that librarian though. She knew I could only come to the library once every two weeks and six books lasted me one day. Grrr. Might would have been okay if the marble ice queen had ever cracked a smile. :lol:

What a stinky policy! Our library allows 25 out at a time, but the problem is our library stinks on ice so I can never find 5, let alone 25 that I need at the same time! There is a further library, but I haven't broken down and gone there yet. For now I buy books at Half Price Books, library sales and used book fairs.

Our library sets a limit to three books per TOPIC. The only thing I can think of is that there might be complaints similar to "all the good books are always checked out." I know we are limited to 2 requests per card at a time, as there is cost in schlepping books from one branch to another, and they are short on staff for that task (budgets, you know?).

However, yes, funding is often based on circulation numbers. So do inquire as to the reason for the change in policy. And feel free to attend a board meeting to voice your concern! (I know, often easier said than done, but having someone make the effort to do that is often times heard better than through the grapevine of the staff.)

I am a bit outraged. I think five items is harsh.

I do think there should be some limits. Some people check out so many books I think if a lot of library patrons did that it would be really hard to find things. I do think it is sometime better to just go to the library more often than everyone having 80 books.

*hides*

It would be difficult for us to use the library at all with a limit of 5 books.

Our library has a limit of 50 per card. I used to hit that limit often enough that I had my two older kids get their own cards so they could check out their own books. There is no cost to ship between branches, and they will get 10 books per year from libraries outside our system without a fee. After 10, there is a small fee. They are always encouraging us to use their online hold system where they pull the books from whatever branch they are at and ship them to your local branch. They encourage interlibrary loan usage too. Our checkout period is 21 days but we can renew twice online.

Five books is nothing. You can do that in half an hour with a preschooler or early elementary student reading picture books. Once my kids started reading early chapter books, they'd do 2-3 of those in a day. That's without counting school related books.

I'd definitely discuss with them how you use the library and how that policy makes the library rather worthless.

Ohhh. A rolling suitcase! What a great idea! I thought about using our wagon, but was just too embarressed.

The funding thing now makes perfect sense to me. I always wondered why our librarians loved us so much and get so giddy when we check out mass quantities of books. They mentioned us helping their numbers personally. We usually check out as many as we can lug.

This is only a sugesstion. What about making one trip to the far library once a month, or renewal period? If you are lucky it is long. We have a three week checkout, and can renew online twice. I never knew how lucky we were. If you are lucky enough to be able to renew, this could prolong your trips. Good luck next year HSing full time :001_smile:

Ask if they have a teacher card that they will extend to homeschoolers. The library system in Cincinnati has this and that alone makes me long to live there full time.

You might also ask if you can get more books if you are a volunteer. (Volunteering an hour a week would be less of a burden than driving an hour round trip, at least for me.)

Library budgets are being tightened. Many systems don't have a specific library tax levy, but draw from the general fund. In fact in many places, even fines go into the locality's general fund rather than back to the library. Libraries are being more heavily used in the economic downturn for all sorts of things from books to videos to computers to printing.

You might also see about mobilizing homeschoolers to support (or start) a friends of the library group. That can funnel money into the library at least so they can keep getting more books.

Interlibrary loan does cost a library a fair amount. My understanding is that there is a charge for each of the World Cat searches used to locate a library with the desired book. Then they have to pay for the postage (at least one way). I think that at the end of the year there is also a tabulating and libraries that requested a lot but didn't loan a lot have to pay some to compensate for this. (I'm sure there are a couple librarians here who can amplify). But in any event true ILL is a huge blessing. Getting books from other branches in the same system is something different. Sometimes library systems in one are will form a consortium to share books without using the formal national ILL system.

Our favorite library in Hawaii was a lovely place with a great collection. But it was across the parking lot from an elementary and a middle school. After school it was incredibly noisy, with kids using it as a social hangout. My least favorite was the kids who would play tag in the stacks. The security guard was a real bear who probably did more to escalate the noise than calm it. (What they really needed were a couple older Aunties who would keep the kids in line, while also loving on them. But where do you get funding for that?) I realized on day that the security staff only arrived about about 20 min before school let out; they weren't there earlier in the day at all because there wasn't a need.

sigh.

Interlibrary loan does cost a library a fair amount. My understanding is that there is a charge for each of the World Cat searches used to locate a library with the desired book.

I think that was the case at some time, but at present it's free on the web, as far as I can tell (I can search for free without signing in via some system or paying anything), so at least you could ameliorate this supposed expense by searching it for free from home and presenting them with a print out, so having Worldcat be under lock and key seems out-of-date.

http://www.worldcat.org/

Our libraries encourage checking out books.

And this is exactly how I think of it, and how my library behaves. I am now officially AFRAID to move, given the horror stories I've read here!

Considering that I normally have two or three read-alouds in progress for my kids, books and magazines for my new reader, various activity books for the kids, info about homeschooling and other things, PLUS everything for myself (personal interests, cookbooks, magazines, movies, whatever), I wouldn't get much reading out of a 5 item limit.

Get library cards for everyone including your husband and the family pets! Okay, maybe not for Fluffy. That should give you a more realistic limit. You can also schedule a trip every three weeks - if that's their time frame for lending books - to the other library. Just don't take out DVD's and other things with a shorter lending time and you should be fine. Unless something's on hold, you should be able to renew over the phone.

I think a limit of 5 is ridiculous! They should be encouraging reading!!! :confused:

In your protest, you might also point out that in the interest of supporting their customer base(YOU) that the limit is inconvenient ....you would have to go to the library ever day...add up the mileage and the time spent traveling....then present that data to the librarian. Point out that there policies are increasing your carbon footprint and that you would hate to turn the city into the EPA!!ok maybe not the last point , but you could certainly show that the limit is an inconvenience to you as a homeschooler.

wendy