Menu

Name a curriculum you use & love that you think is underappreciated

Paintedlady

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victory Drill Book - excellent value (can be used from K-8th grade) teaches reading fluency - I credit it with taking my kids from reading the sounds of the words (c...a...t) to being able to look at a word and say "cat".

Looks interesting. Is it religious? (I know old books had some casual references, but is it throughout?) Thanks.

McRuffy LA and Math are great! I am sooo glad I found this curriculum. If not for this forum, I would not have ever known that this curriculum existed. I am using 1st grade LA and I am about to transition into 1st grade Math from the Kindergarten math for my 5 year old, and he looks foward to doing it everyday.

MFW Kindergarten. Getting ready to start it for my 4th kindergarten. PEople say its not "rigorous" enough, but I lean towards a gentle fun kindergarten with memories of children being "wooed" to learning at home....MFWK did this EVERY time. WE LOVE IT!!!

Its precious!

Is this your main grammar program? Do you add anything to it? Does it cover, say, as much as a traditional (Abeka, CLE, etc.) 5th grade grammar book? It looks really cool and I think my ds would like it. However, if it's not complete then I'm not so sure it would ever get done, in addition to something else (like Abeka or R.S. grammar.) Does it include writing exercises?

Is this your main grammar program? Do you add anything to it? Does it cover, say, as much as a traditional (Abeka, CLE, etc.) 5th grade grammar book? It looks really cool and I think my ds would like it. However, if it's not complete then I'm not so sure it would ever get done, in addition to something else (like Abeka or R.S. grammar.) Does it include writing exercises?

I love Private Eye, we've stuck with it for a few years now and I can really see how they apply it out in the world. We've slacked off a bit on it this year, but today they brought home a beetle and a bee to glue in their specimen boxes.

http://www.the-private-eye.com/html/materials/MATmenu.html

Cozy Grammar. I can't believe my daughter does this willingly and consistently. She has never complain about doing it. I love that. Also Cozy Punctuation.

http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/grammar_course.htm

These are all repeats, but I just wanted to add my .02.

The Setence Composing series by Killigon, The Great Source books (any of them, especially the Write Source ones), The Jamestown Best Short Stories (I dont care for the Poetry one-I personally don't think that they do a good job representing the diverse amounts of poetry available), Vocabu-Lit, and Geography Matters' Trail Guide series. Also ,I really like the Prufrock books- I've used one about the newspaper, Money Matters, and Logic Liftoff.

are you asking about grammar?? I think you quoted my post by mistake ;)

my post was about MFW kindergarten.

Yes, you're right. I'm so sorry. I was asking about the sentece book. I have looked at MFW kindergarten though. I might use it next yr. Thanks for responding.

We have struggled with Science since we started homeschooling 5 years ago! Singapore Science MPH 3/4 (my 3rd grader) and 5/6 (my 5th grader) is a wonderful fit for us and we LOVE it! I am pleased with the quality of the projects and the thoroughness of the additional workbooks (hmwk & HOTS).

:iagree:We are using MPH5/6, and it is wonderful. I highly recommend it!

Ann Ward's - First Grade Learning at Home

Our best homeschool purchase ever.

It's like HOD and MFW combined - It includes everything (Bible, math, science, history, copywork, geography, art, music - and living books.)

I'm so glad I get to use it with 2 more kids!

It's like HOD and MFW combined - It includes everything (Bible, math, science, history, copywork, geography, art, music - and living books.)

Sounds intriguing! I am always wishing for a curriculum with elements of HOD, MFW, and Sonlight. With some WTM thrown in! ;)

Can you tell us more about this?

We love Professor B cd-rom. Soooo easy to use, interactive, similar concepts to Singapore and RightStart, but MUCH easier to teach...

ACE Language Arts. Fabulous.

I also love supplementing with Webster's speller and Victory Drill, both WONDERFUL resources.

Beautiful Feet. I love it! It's inexpensive (IG is $14!!!), flexible, GREAT literature, and IMO easily adapted to classical education. Because it's so inexpensive, I don't have an issue with tweeking it. When we were Sonlighters, I grew frustrated because you spend all this money on the books and then if you tweek it and don't use them, you've wasted your money. Didn't make me feel like a good steward at all!

Blessings!

Dorinda

NOEO Science!!! I love that program! It is the perfect balence work-wise and is interesting and fits nicely into classical framework.

Me too! I can't believe I heard about it briefly 2 years ago and finally got around to check it out (thanks to this forum) for this year. It's great! Easy to implement, understand, teach, and the dc like it! It works nicely with CM style too.

I have enjoyed this thread so much!

Thank you. This looks great..and it will go along nicely with The Phonics Road...I am excited to check this out. I just ILL it so I can view it, then it's very inexpensive used ($12). Thanks again!

Rex Barks, Diagramming Sentences Made Easy by Phyllis Davenport

Faithr - I looked at this on Amazon but there isn't a description or preview. Is this primarily a how-to book, or is it a drill book? I'm looking for a resource for daily diagramming drill and wondered if you felt like this would help.

As for the question - my answer is Horizons math. It's spiral, colorful, rigorous, and easier for me to teach than Saxon. Love it.

Sounds intriguing! I am always wishing for a curriculum with elements of HOD, MFW, and Sonlight. With some WTM thrown in! ;)

Can you tell us more about this?

It was the very first piece of curriculum I ever bought, and by far the best!

This book is AMAZING!!!

I simply cannot say enough positive things about it!

It follows the Charlotte Mason philosophy (although I didn't even know that when I bought it!)

I thought ...."there is no way that a 'comprehensive curriculum' would:

use real books, copywork, nature notebooks, incorporate unit studies, and cover all the 'basics' so thoroughly"....but it DOES! (And everything is covered from a Christian perspective!)

These are the areas that the book covers:

Bible; Bible Memory Verses; Arithmetic; Reading/Phonics;

Writing ( copywork and journaling plus writing letters to friends and family); English/Grammar; Spelling;

History (a semester-long unit study on the Pilgrims. We used this for BOTH my 1st and 3rd grader...

(See here to view some samples of my children's work!) homeschoolblogger.com/foxvalleyfamily/240411/The+Pilgrims%21.html);

Geography (second semester is spent studying world geography);

Science (unit studies on space, trees, oceans, weather, plants, animals...the kids are also encouraged to keep a nature journal);

Health, Safety and Manners; Christian Character Building;

Physical Education; Art and Music

(* I will say, however, the one thing I do NOT care for, is that she uses "The Writing Road to Reading" OR "Phonics for Reading and Spelling" for her Language Arts base. I didn't like either of those, so we substituted the "Abeka Handbook for Reading" or the CLE Learning to Read program.)

But...the main reason more people probably have never even heard of it - is because the author stopped after writing the second grade volume.

So the publisher stopped printing them....they are a discontinued item. :(

I know that the preschool/Kindergarten book has recently been revised, and is now carried on Amazon - but to fine the 1st and 2nd grade volumes, you have to look at Ebay or places that sell used curriculum.

Hewitt offers an Write Source elementary syllabus. I picked up a teacher's manual 2 years ago for $2 plus postage on Amazon.

The WRITE ONE handbook was a supplemental resource our district used in all 1st grade classrooms. Every student had a copy. It could be used as a stand-alone so long as you use it as a springboard for more writing lessons.

Hi Keri,

Rex Barks is both a how-to and a drill book. The one book deals with all the grammar you'll need to know. The first lesson teaches the 8 parts of speech then each chapter, broken into different lessons, covers more and more complex diagramming. There are plenty of exercises to reinforce each lesson and often the sentences are rather amusing. I teach from this book by sitting around the table reading the little lesson out loud and then dictating a sentence to a child who writes it on our whiteboard easel. Then we take turns trying to diagram it correctly. I don't teach grammar every year but doing it this way seems to stick even if we aren't consistent with it (we also study Latin so that helps too!).

Here's the table of contents:

Ch 1 Parts of Speech

Ch 2 Diagramming begins

2-A Helping Verbs

2-B Questions

2-C Modifiers: Adjectives and Adverbs

2-D Prepositions and Prepositional Phrases

2-E Coordinating Conjunctions

2-F Compound Elements

2-G Understood 'You'

2-H Direct Address

2-J Introductory words

Ch 3 - Kinds of Verbs

3-A Intransitive Complete Verbs

3-B Transitive Active Verbs

3-C Transitive Passive Verbs

3-D Intransitive Linking Verbs

Ch. Four - Dependent Clauses

4-A Adverb Clauses

4-B Adjective Clauses

4-C Noun Clauses

Ch Five - Verbals

5-A Gerunds

5-B Participles

5-C Infinitives

Ch Six - Additional Constructions

6-A Appositives

6-B Objective Complement

6-C Adverbial Noun

Ch Seven - Compound and Complex Sentences

Ch Eight - Miscellany

8-A About Adjective Clauses

8-B About Adverb Clauses

8-C About Pronouns

8-D About Prepositional Phrases

8-E About Nouns

Challenge (this is diagramming the beginning sentence of the Decl of Independence)

Appendix -a summary of grammar rules

Mystery Challenge (I've never figured this one out!)

Answers -everything's abbreviated so sometimes it takes a second or two to decipher the answer!

Index

HTH!

I love Making Math Meaningful (K thru Level 3, David Quine/Cornerstone Curriculum Project) for early elementary math. It is conceptual, hands-on, and economical to boot. My oldest was ready for Saxon 54 by about halfway thru second grade after using MMM.

:iagree: I use K-1st starting in PK or K and then go into MUS Alpha. After Alpha I went back to MMM and did 2nd with my oldest daughter. All of my kids say Math is their favorite subject, even my one daughter that was not so great at it, and I think it is due to MMM. I really like the way it explains the vocabulary of math, like what the word equal really means.

I second Horizons math for K & 1st, with alot of manipulatives for place value, supplemental time & money practice (a clock model & play money are all you need), and a little base-ten teaching thrown in.

I don't know that Abeka LA is really underappreciated, but I don't see it as often as other things. I'm always drawn back to Abeka language arts, at least for K-3 (possibly further, but I've not tried 4th+ yet). I've used other things as well, some of which I like better for parts of LA, but it's a tried & true program that's been around & teaches reading & spelling solidly. I'll admit I'm not keen on their readers vs. real books. There's just something about how they teach the rules and then have the child practice changing the words using them (ex. crazy - crazier - craziest; bring - bringing - brought, etc.). ETA: I'm not keen on their writing composition instruction at all - much prefer WWE followed by CW.

Grammar Ace (both student workbook & TM) was quick & effective for my older son when he was in 1st grade. We went on noun scavenger hunts, made proper vs. common noun posters, etc. I used the Schoolhouse Rock DVD that is recommended in it for fun reinforcement.

E(again)TA: LEAP FROG PHONICS & READING DVDS! Letter Factory, Talking Word Factory, etc. These are great for preschool years & got my son reading when he was 3.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Is there anywhere online to see samples? I can't seem to find a website.

thanks

This book is AMAZING!!!

It follows the Charlotte Mason philosophy (although I didn't even know that when I bought it!)

use real books, copywork, nature notebooks, incorporate unit studies, and cover all the 'basics' so thoroughly"....but it DOES! (And everything is covered from a Christian perspective!)

Writing ( copywork and journaling plus writing letters to friends and family); English/Grammar; Spelling;

History (a semester-long unit study on the Pilgrims. We used this for BOTH my 1st and 3rd grader...

(See here to view some samples of my children's work!) homeschoolblogger.com/foxvalleyfamily/240411/The+Pilgrims%21.html);

Science (unit studies on space, trees, oceans, weather, plants, animals...the kids are also encouraged to keep a nature journal);

(* I will say, however, the one thing I do NOT care for, is that she uses "The Writing Road to Reading" OR "Phonics for Reading and Spelling" for her Language Arts base. I didn't like either of those, so we substituted the "Abeka Handbook for Reading" or the CLE Learning to Read program.)

But...the main reason more people probably have never even heard of it - is because the author stopped after writing the second grade volume.

I know that the preschool/Kindergarten book has recently been revised, and is now carried on Amazon - but to fine the 1st and 2nd grade volumes, you have to look at Ebay or places that sell used curriculum.

We used this as my DD's grammar curriculum this past semester. It is non-traditional so the best way to use it would be to complement a traditional program. Either as we did as a semester-long course in between years of a traditional program (AG might be a really good option for doing this) or on alternate days.

It includes lots of sentence-writing exercises but only a handful of longer assignments.

This book is AMAZING!!!

Thanks so much for explaining all this! :)

What a bummer that the author stopped writing! :(

Darla,

I would recommend the 2005-2007 editions. They are all titled Write Source and then have a grade level after the title. I do have some of the older versions, but feel that the new edition is much better put together. The older versions I have seem to be more of a handbook and the new ones are much more lessons. Hope that makes sense.

I have used the student book and the teacher's edition in the past. The teacher's edition is the student book with teaching ideas around those pages. It also has a section with helps for planning and meeting state standards. It also helps you to tie all of the other pieces into your writing lessons. I don't use the Language Workout or skillbook because I am happy with R&S and Shurley English for grammar skills. I am not using the Teacher's Edition for my younger girls this year and am doing fine without it. I do have it for my son because I was able to get it for free from the school library. I am glad I got the TE the first year I used it. It has suggestions for teaching below grade level and for challenging excelling students. In that way, I was able to use it for three students all on different levels. And I don't really think that the grade levels are that important. If you are able to get an used book that is a grade level above or below your student;s level it will be fine. Also, in that way the books can be used for more than one year. I have not been able to fit a whole book in a school year so we use the books for about 1 1/2 years or so each.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks so much for this reply! It sounds like if I don't mind doing a little planning, and am using something else for grammar, I can do without the teacher's editions. I am looking at getting this for gr. 2, 5, and 8 (or maybe 9). I will probably get the teacher's edition for at least the highest level.