Menu

Name a curriculum you use & love that you think is underappreciated

Paintedlady

I'm not sure if there is a place to see samples of the Ann Ward book or not?:confused: Maybe see if someone is selling a copy on Ebay and if they took photos?

I do know that Mary Pride also reviewed it in an older edition of her "Big Book of Homeschooling" and she had given it a very positive review as well. I don't remember if she had any examples of it...but if you can find a copy of her book - it may have more info about it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living Math -My kids and I have been enjoying this program. We use it as a supplement.

Classic Science -I have used this for the past 2 years. The only complaint I have is that it is not visual enough for me. I love the content, and the fact he doesn't dumb down the subjects for this students.

TOPS science

The Math Lesson -I like the amount of verbal story problems it has. It is also good review, and depending on how many you do it only takes minutes.

The Reading Lesson -I do not recommend reading her suggestions. I know some people were offended by some comments she made in the front of her book. The program itself it great for my natural reader. It would not have worked for my ds.

Salsa Spanish -free videos were gone, but are back! My kids love the videos, and it is an easy way to learn Spanish.

I have seen some of these mentioned a few times. I loved the Jolly Phonics books that were at the library. I would have used it, but the price was too much for me.

I wanted to add that I bookmarked some great suggestions from this thread.

Edited by Osaubi

Math Mammoth

The prices are fantastic, the presentation is clear and straight-forward, Maria is ever only an email away and she offers tons of links, articles, blog posts, worksheet generators, etc. to support her curriculum on homeschoolmath.net.

All this and I forgot I had it! Just started using it again with my son after some Singapore and Miquon and although I love those two I adore MM.

Sequential Spelling

The book doesn't look like much, but its simple approach is very effective!

BJU DVDs

The DVDs are SO well done. Excellent presentations to go with the textbook lessons.

RightStart Math

Out of the box thinking and emphasis on mental math has allowed my math-phobic child to blossom.

Guest Cindie2dds

Miquon Math (I wish there were something like this after 3rd grade)

Oak Meadow (wonderful fun with nature/crafts and stories from fairy tales to great literature for young kids)

Simply Charlotte Mason (their free book lists for literature, history, science, etc.; a gem of a website not to be missed)

Queen's Language Lessons (for young kids, it's a gentle introduction with poetry, narration, drawing, creative writing, copy work and fine art all in one)

I think the reason Write Source is not talked about much on these boards is that it takes a much different approach to writing than WTM.

Write Source may be a great resource if you want to follow more closely with what the local schools are doing in K-4, but philosophically it differs from the WTM/classical model. (I researched it a lot when I was hashing out how to teach writing, so I hope this helps someone with all the confusion I sorted through :).)

Around the World in 180 Days

I would recommend the 2005-2007 editions. They are all titled Write Source and then have a grade level after the title. I do have some of the older versions, but feel that the new edition is much better put together. The older versions I have seem to be more of a handbook and the new ones are much more lessons. Hope that makes sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Ancient-Romans-Dorothy-Mills/dp/1597313548/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

Oh thank you. I read a few pages of this aloud, and it sounds lovely.

I love Private Eye, we've stuck with it for a few years now and I can really see how they apply it out in the world. We've slacked off a bit on it this year, but today they brought home a beetle and a bee to glue in their specimen boxes.

http://www.the-private-eye.com/html/materials/MATmenu.html

Cozy Grammar. I can't believe my daughter does this willingly and consistently. She has never complain about doing it. I love that. Also Cozy Punctuation.

http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/grammar_course.htm

This thread is great! A lot of new things. I will look into all of these... and Beautiful Feet later.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

The Reading Lesson -I do not recommend reading her suggestions. I know some people were offended by some comments she made in the front of her book. The program itself it great for my natural reader. It would not have worked for my ds.

Really? What was it that offended people? Maybe I have an older edition but I didn't see anything in the book that was offensive.

Really? What was it that offended people? Maybe I have an older edition but I didn't see anything in the book that was offensive.

She says something (not quoting) about pinching your child when they get something wrong. When I looked at the reviews on Amazon there were a couple of people that were offended by that remark. I would have probably missed it if it had not been mentioned.