Menu

s/o of the wedding dress thread....if you got married in 1980/1990ish

lynn

Do you ever wish to have another wedding in one of the beautiful updated dresses of today? I had an all lace dress with puffy sleeves which I loved a the time but now I see the beautfiul dress out there makes me want to renew our wedding vows, just so I can buy a new dress:D

Sometimes. I got married in 1986 and wore a "Stevie Nicks" type dress. All lace (including lace tights and shoes!) with the handkerchief-type skirt. DH wore some weird gray & purple suit and I look at the pics and wonder what in the world we were thinking!

I did love my big hair though!:tongue_smilie:

I'm okay with my dress now though. Mine was traditional, vintage victorian style. I absolutely loved it then and have come to love it now. It wasn't what I expected to buy when we went looking but it was 60 years old then and in lovely condition and fit me like it was made for me. I thought it was a sign! Plus, I've been in homes of aquaintences who've been married as long as I have and their dresses were much more poofy and lacy.:lol:

I was married in 1994.

Yes, I do get wedding dress envy. I often think of how I would do things if I could do it over. In my case, I had two friends who made my dress. The first friend INSISTED that she make my dress--I did NOT ask her, and had not planned to ask her. She offered, strenuously, so it seemed like such a wonderful gift to me.

NOT.

Said friend was extremely insecure about the project and spent the months that she made it criticizing me and refusing to make alterations/adjustments so that the dress would actually fit me. (It ended up being too big.) She was truly, truly AWFUL to deal with.

I asked a second friend who was artistic to arrange the lace on the dress. She procrastinated for months and months. We finally had a knock-down drag-out argument a month before my wedding in which I insisted she either design the #@!*#!! dress or give it back so I could make other arrangements. She got to work on it.

It was only after the lace was sewn on that a massive, major problem with the construction of the dress came to light. My first friend, who had sewn the dress, had attached the skirt to the bodice incorrectly, and the attached lace highlighted the problem badly (huge weird wrinkles everywhere). It was a massive undertaking fixing this in a hurry.

My dress ended up being finished in the wee hours of the night just before my wedding. I am still bitter, not about the work or mistakes, but about the sheer emotional drama my two high-maintenance friends put me through.

I have since made two wedding dresses myself, once for a dear former roommate, and once for my little sister. In both cases I made certain that I started the project well in advance and did NOT put either bride through the drama I had had to live with. I also cheerfully made any and all requested adjustments--both dresses fit like a glove, and both dresses were just exactly what these two women had dreamed of. It was my pleasure to make it so for them.

I was married in 1982.

No, I do not have any envy for these modern wedding dresses. At.All. I don't like 99% that I see. To me, they all look like something that should go under the actual wedding dress; not be the dress itself. I am embarrassed for the brides I see today as they look.....half-dressed.

My dress had a high neck, fitted waist, long,sheer-lace puffy sleeves, a hoop skirt underneath, and tiers of lace on the skirt. Lots of pearls and beads. I loved it then and I love it now.

Yes, I wish I could have a 2nd wedding to renew our vows....but only if my original bridal gown would still, somehow, miraculously fit!

My wedding dress was a very simple satin dress with no frills or lace. I wore a flower crown with a simple veil attached to the back. I never thought about this before...a different wedding dress.

My flower girls date the era. They were made by a seamstress, based on the flower girl dresses in Princess Diana's wedding. :confused:

Nope-no regrets. I can't even imagine shopping today. Everyone wants a strapless dress. I would've looked terrible!! Also, just about every church we considered (mine, theirs, ours) had a prohibition against the wearing of wedding dresses like those I see in photos today. Just makes me wonder if those churches have changed their rules...

Do you ever wish to have another wedding in one of the beautiful updated dresses of today? I had an all lace dress with puffy sleeves which I loved a the time but now I see the beautfiul dress out there makes me want to renew our wedding vows, just so I can buy a new dress:D

The dresses that are stylish today are beautiful, but you know what...the dress I wore with it's giant sleeves and massive amounts of lace, pearls, and train that stretched to another zip code was beautiful and stylish then.

Would I marry him again? In a New York second!

Would I do it over to wear another dress? No way, especially with all that hoopla!

Will I use Photoshop to cut down the sleeves? Maybe if I have time one of these days!! :D

Edited by Stacie

Well there was the super fancy dress I was going to rent. And there was the beautiful dress my friend and clothing designer wanted to make me. And then there was the off the rack regular dess bought at Sears that I ended up with when we ditched the plans for the big wedding for the quickie wedding in the back yard so we were married for business reasons.

Even with all those I wouldn't do any of them over again in any way shape or form. No dress envy. No big wedding envy. If we were to do something over again, I'd rather go to Vegas or some place fun with a theme or something. Our backyard wedding was nice, and there was no drama or anything. I just think it would have been fun to just run off to Vegas and mail postcards from there saying something like "Guess what? We got married!"

Edited by Renthead Mommy

I was married in 1992, and I loved my dress. I still do. I might make the shoulders a little less "poofy", but other than that, it's still my dream dress.

I was so happy to find my wedding dress at a price that I could afford; on top of that, it didn't need any alterations!

I didn't have a picture to share the first time around, so I took a picture of a picture to post this time around. I hope it works!

I got married in 2000 so I'm not really in your target audience, but I completely understand what you're saying!! SIL is getting married and we've all gone dress shopping together, I just want to try on some of those beautiful dresses myself. *sigh*

But I do think we need to start a custom here that every 10 years you get to throw a new Wedding Reception because boy are my towels getting worn out!! I could use some new dishes too.:D

Hmmm... I was married in 1992 in my mother's wedding dress. I do think of maybe renewing my vows and getting a new set of rings. The dress never crossed my mind. (Right now I weigh about ten lbs. more than my wedding day. I wonder if I could still fit in Mom's. :tongue_smilie:)

My rings were cut off from my finger when I was pg with dd (My hands swelled up.). I have yet to get them repaired. They were a cheap set and are thin. I'm kind of fearful fixing them will cost more than buying them did. Guess I should find out.

Oh well, at least I still like the groom (most of the time. ;)).

ETA: I would also hire a photographer if I ever had a do-over.

Guest janainaz

I was married in 1997 and I loved my dress then and I still love it. I paid $150.00 at a bridal outlet. The only thing I would do is embelish it with some beading on the bodess. I think I would pick it all over again (especially for the price!).

I watch Say Yes to the Dress, I'm addicted to it, actually. It boggles my mind how a girl can go in and pay $5K up to $15k for a DRESS! What is that all about? $1K or $1500K, that's ok, but beyond that is beyond me.

Got married in the mid '90s, but the dress style has stood the test of time. It was a winter wedding, and it was a very simple white velvet dress with a train, a line of pearls around the waist, and slightly off-the-shoulder with white marabou around the top. I'd definitely look for something more classic than what the bridesmaids had though. Off-the-rack dresses from Maurice's, with the style current for that time.

Erica in OR

I watch Say Yes to the Dress, I'm addicted to it, actually. It boggles my mind how a girl can go in and pay $5K up to $15k for a DRESS! What is that all about? $1K or $1500K, that's ok, but beyond that is beyond me.

I saw that show a couple of times before we killed our cable, and I just couldn't get over the DRAMA these women put themselves through!!!! AAACK!

I loved my dress, FWIW (was married in 1996) and there were plenty of dresses I am glad I didn't choose. Remember the "mermaid" dress? I have a friend who chose that style. She looked like she was about to fall over all night because there wasn't a slit and it was SO tight to the ankle with that huge ruffly-puffy "fin" at the bottom.

No. I would love to have had girly-girl clothes instead of plaid pants suits in the 70s, when I was a child, but I have no desire to wear a white wedding dress now, not even if I could have a the cute bod I had at 24. I love pretty things as much as the next gal, but I never had the princess/wedding dress fantasy.

I will enjoy wearing a nice dress to my sons' weddings, should they marry. (The jury is still out about whether any female in her right mind would consent to live with the younger one, who still has to be cajoled into bathing.)

When I found it I was so happy. It was a Victorian style, but backless, covered with lace, but not to puffy. My mom needed convincing. She wanted a more elaborate dress, but when one of my aunts saw it she said it looked like it was made for me. I still love the dress, and would not like any of the modern ones on me. But that's just me. :)

I married in 1987.

It was hard to find a dress that was slim but that you could still dance in, and that had a train that, when bustled up, looked like the dress was made that way. But I hunted until I found one. And at the time, I LIKED big shoulders. They made my very slim waist look even slimmer! I thought that was a GOOD thing! (Remember the show, Dallas? I LIKED those clothes.)

Now, I will tell you that I loved my dress, had a good time at the wedding, danced a lot, and looked very slim.

Nope, the part I would change is not the dress. It is the body. It sure would be nice to be slim like that (or in that general ballpark) again.

When I went dress shopping, I deliberately looked for something understated with classic lines. I didn't want a dress that screamed the year in which I got married like my MIL's 1968 gown did. My mom got married in 1977 but chose a simple Empire waist gown that I could've worn two decades later except it was unflattering on my hourglass figure (I weighed the same as my mom but it was distributed WAY differently, LOL!)

I don't like strapless dresses. Mine had cap sleeves and it actually isn't as modest as I would want now but at the time I was a lukewarm Christian.

I got married in 1981 and was only 17. My mother picked my dress (and everything else to do with my wedding). I don't think I even knew what I liked yet. My dh's sister got married two months after me and we were looking at our wedding pictures about a year later. We had the SAME dress on. We didn't even realize we had worn the same dress.

I do see some dresses now that I think are beautiful and am having fun helping my sons' girls find the perfect one.

I did love my dress back then (1993) and looking at it today, there are parts of it I still love. I think if I had a redo, I would do something about the poofy sleeves, but I do love the cinderella/princess look of the dress. I had forgotten the gorgeous detail of the train...