Menu

What's on the menu for your Christmas dinner?

We always had turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, apple pies around noonish on Christmas day with the whole family (and I mean THE WHOLE family).

Dh's family has a Chrismas Eve dinner with just the immediate family (Mom, Dad, the three boys and thier wives, grandchildren). They serve crab legs and prime rib, some kind of creamy potato dish and something green (:D) and a ton of desserts.

What do you all eat?

Turkey

Mashed Potatoes ( w/ sour cream)

Gravy

Cranberry Sauce

Sweet Potatoes w/ Marshmallows

Green Beans

Carrots

Zuccini/ Yellow Squash Stuffing Caserole

(My absolute favorite food!)

Corn Bread Stuffing

Rolls w/ butter

Several types of pies

Apple, Pumpkin, Chocolate Cream, Banana Cream, Millionaire Pie

Ok, we go totally un-traditional for Christmas dinner....well, and for Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve.....not sure which order we'll be doing them, but those three holiday meals will be these three menus.....

Homemade Sushi/Sashimi

Tempura

Shish kebob

We like beef for Christmas, so this year I think I'll also make a standing rib roast, or maybe even a tenderloin - depends on if the in-laws contribute to the meal budget! To go with it I will most likely make English potatoes, and a zuccini/tomato bake I got from Taste of Home a millenia ago. It's pretty and "Christmasy". I also want to plan on Chinese take-out for Christmas Eve - a la "Christmas Story", which the kids would LOVE.

I like to make a French Toast strata for breakfast so it's in the oven by the time the kids wake up, but I thought this year about trying Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls....:drool5:

Does anyone have the tr.aditional goose?

We did one year. :ack2: . I don't think my grandmother did it right at all. Its been turkey from then on out, no deviating.

I did a goose two years ago (or was it 3?). Three, I think. Blast!

Anyway, it was delicious!

If memory serves (a rocky proposition at best :tongue_smilie:) I steamed the goose first to reduce the fat, then baked it till crisp and golden.

The whole family warned me not to do it. Risky, they said. That bird was devoured in no time :D

Bill

Take out Chinese food. This mom doesn't work on Christmas day; she stays in her PJ's, reads her new books, drinks eggnog, plays games with the girls and has fun.

That's what we call Jewish Christmas around here. All the Chinese restaurants are packed with Jewish families, then off to a movie.

Bill

Probably a standing rib roast. I have made one the last couple of years (using Paula Deen's Foolproof recipe, btw), and it has been well-received. As far as the rest of the dinner goes, I have no idea. Heck, I don't even have Thanksgiving planned out yet.

This sounds yummy. I've never made a standing rib roast before. Where can I get this foolproof recipe?

Turkey

Mashed Potatoes ( w/ sour cream)

Gravy

Cranberry Sauce

Sweet Potatoes w/ Marshmallows

Green Beans

Carrots

Zuccini/ Yellow Squash Stuffing Caserole

(My absolute favorite food!)

Corn Bread Stuffing

Rolls w/ butter

Several types of pies

Apple, Pumpkin, Chocolate Cream, Banana Cream, Millionaire Pie

This is currently similar to ours - minus the gravy (cheese sauce instead), the zucchini/squash casserole, and all the pies. I generally make pumpkin and either apple or lemon meringue pies. I usually make apple muffins for munchies till the main meal (the only meal that day!) is ready. Each year we seem to do less so we can enjoy the day more. In recent years, I have begun making the turkey the day before as well as preparing any dishes that can be done ahead. Some years I've even made the mashed potatoes and reheated them on Christmas (!) and other years I've peeled the potatoes and stored in water in the fridge, then made them Christmas day. This has been so much nicer. More time as a family, and more time to have a relaxing day - reading for instance!

Christmas is 2 months away. I usually plan Christmas dinner the week before. You people are way too organized.

In my case typically it has nothing to do with organization. Christmas dinner is at my in laws and everyone always brings the same menu items. This year I'm having a hysterectomy the week before Christmas and I am NOT going to make my usual homemade dinner rolls. Depending on how things go I might even just stay home with my mom.

Christmas Eve my mom comes and the last few years I've just been doing appetizers. Usually I ask everyone to pick out a favorite and then make that. I've already done up and frozen meat for little roast beef sandwiches we all love and I think I'll take a swing through the freezer section at Sam's Club for the rest.

On the menu will be ham, hot spiced fruit, green beans, cheesy potatoes, cranberry relish, sweet potato something and cookies for dessert.

Probably a standing rib roast. I have made one the last couple of years (using Paula Deen's Foolproof recipe, btw), and it has been well-received. As far as the rest of the dinner goes, I have no idea. Heck, I don't even have Thanksgiving planned out yet.

I could have written this post - lol! Besides the standing rib roast, I have no idea what else will be served for Christmas dinner. I haven't planned Thanksgiving dinner yet and I'm still working on my menu for Halloween, which is tomorrow!

Homemade Cheese Danish

Artichoke tartlets

Eggs

Sausage and/or Bacon

Homemade whole wheat muffins

Mushrooms in wine sauce

Christmas punch

Chocolate mousse

We vary it every year, but the chocolate mousse, cheese danish, Christmas punch, and artichoke tartlets are standard.

My dd and brother say it is their favorite meal of the year. The great thing is that everyone helps and I can make at least half of it the day before.

Leanna

I gave up on the whole pretty, sit down meal on my son's first Christmas when I had to spend an hour cleaning up and everyone else got to play with him. We now have a huge all day buffet that I prepare before. It usually features ham biscuits (we do have our big meal - ham and fixings on the 23rd and on the 24th we have a huge brunch and then sandwiches after church), white chili, saugage balls, sandwiches, chips, baked potato bar, veggies, fruit, chicken fingers, and a ton of homemade cookies. The kids get to help themselves continually throughout the day and the adults love that there is no real time frame for the formal meal. So if we sit around opening presents for three hours and laughing and talking, it is ok. We go up to our mountain house for Christmas anyways and the casual feel for this is perfect!

I gave up on the whole pretty, sit down meal on my son's first Christmas when I had to spend an hour cleaning up and everyone else got to play with him. for !

For years I was making a pretty sit down dinner because my mom would come for Christmas Eve and I felt like we needed to spend a nice Christmas with her like we did with inlaws the next day. It was just so stressful doing one meal on my own in addition to food prep for the next day and the last minute holiday stuff. The last year I did it I felt downright mean by Christmas Eve. I saw down at the table and announced I was going to a movie right after dinner and anyone could come with me.

The next year I did the appetizer spread and we're all so much happier and relaxed.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I would love to have roast lamb, we have in the past. It may end up being roast pork or a ham. I only do turkey at Thanksgiving.

Depending on what kind of meat, I may also have scalloped or mashed potatoes, spinach cheese bake, butternut squash, homemade rolls, broccoli salad and the ubiquitous cranberry sauce.

Turkey

(possibly) ham

cornbread dressing

scalloped sweet potatoes

Mashed potatoes

green beans

corn

broccoli

(maybe) macaroni and cheese

charoset (instead of the traditional cranberry sauce)

pecan pie

fudge

divinity

assortment of cookies

We have pretty much the same supper every Christmas. I think I am going to have some Amish Friendship bread read to cook that morning fro breakfast. Lunch on Christmas is pretty much what ever you want, whenever you are hungry. We generally eat a big supper. My parents come over.

My in-laws have been coming over the past few years for Thanksgiving. My husband's brother mentioned something about Thanksgiving and so now my in-laws are trying to figure out how to still come to our house, but not offend their other son. I think we might end up inviting them and having 5 extra people!:eek: My brother in law is the pickiest eater ever! I will have to revamp my menu. ARGH!!!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
This mom doesn't work on Christmas day; she stays in her PJ's, reads her new books, drinks eggnog, plays games with the girls and has fun.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. A couple of years ago, DH and I decided that our typical repeat of Thanksgiving dinner wasn't thrilling anyone, so now I do a pot roast with carrots and potatoes in the crock pot. PJs all the way! I want to play with my kids and toys and read all day too! It helps that the pot roast is a family favorite. I don't cook on Christmas Eve either, as that is when we lay out the ridiculously unhealthy spread of stuff my mom sends from Swiss Colony every year (along with a veggie tray so I don't get too disgusted). We watch Christmas movies and nibble. The kids love it more than any fancy meal I could ever produce, I'm sure.

On Thanksgiving, I go all out and love, love, love it but I'm definitely not interested in that kind of workload on Christmas day.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I'm not sure what our Christmas dinner will be...probably leftover ham. We leave to go out of town the day after Christmas, so we won't fix a bunch of food on that day. However, "back home" my grandmother and mother will be making the menu below for both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. With the exception of the broccoli casserole, this menu has been the same for my entire 35 years of existence, if not longer. You gotta love the South!!:

Turkey, Ham, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, corn, lima beans, black-eyed peas or purple-hull peas, English/sweet peas, candied yams, cole slaw, potato salad (with and w/o relish), deviled eggs (with and w/o relish), watergate salad, brown-n-serve rolls, cranberry sauce, and the recent broccoli casserole. Dessert consists of assorted homemade cookies, homemade candies, blueberry pie, lemon icebox pie, apple pie, sweet potato pie and banana pudding. The ice tea is provided in gallon-sized dill pickle jars.

We will have whatever Dh cooks.

Probably ham, mashed potatoes, salad, broccoli, homemade rolls, apple pie and pecan pie.

He picked out the china pattern, makes all of the holiday meals, and cleans the kitchen afterward.

I just sit around looking pretty, and playing with my Christmas presents.

We have sugar cereals for breakfast - I will often make a display of tasty treats on the kitchen table. And we have the Traditional Christmas Pizza. I often make a pumpkin pie the day or two before. Sometimes I make candycane bread- sweet bread, filled, and shaped like a candycane. But all the fancy food is made ahead food. That's not a day that I care to spend all day cooking. After all, isn't spending a whole day (or two!) cooking what Thanksgiving is all about?! Once is plenty. We love the simplicity this tradition gives our Christmas celebration.

Christmas Eve we have a standing invitation to come do crazy waffles: homemade waffles with whatever toppings you want, up to and including ice cream. I'm taking homemade strawberry maple sauce this year, among other things.

Edited by Ritsumei

Dunno. I'm starting to think about this, because we've gone vegan and fridge free since last Christmas, so the rules have changed!

I used to make a pasta, tinned peach, ham and greens salad with a mustard vinegarette dressing. I can easily leave the ham out of that. I will certainly make my *very* unvegan cake :D After having to forgo due to gestational diabetes last year, I'm going to eat a LOT of it!! A friend of mine told me how to make sticky rice, and gave me a sort of loaf of it. I'm trying to figure out how to make a sort of vegan loaf instead of having roast chicken. I'm thinking I could partially cook the rice, make a filing for it, roll it like a sushi roll, then boil it in an oven bag. I think I ought to find the time to try it out :) I'm also thinking I should take a leaf out of your American book and do a bikkie bake up. Australians don't do that, but there are plenty of vegan biscuit (cookie) recipes and they won't need refrigerating.

We will have this on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. I'll have to think of something to take to Christmas dinner too. Something that can be made in advance and stuck in my grandmother's fridge, perhaps. I'll have to see what they want me to bring.

Hmm,

Rosie

Dunno. I'm starting to think about this, because we've gone vegan and fridge free since last Christmas, so the rules have changed!

I used to make a pasta, tinned peach, ham and greens salad with a mustard vinegarette dressing. I can easily leave the ham out of that. I will certainly make my *very* unvegan cake :D After having to forgo due to gestational diabetes last year, I'm going to eat a LOT of it!! A friend of mine told me how to make sticky rice, and gave me a sort of loaf of it. I'm trying to figure out how to make a sort of vegan loaf instead of having roast chicken. I'm thinking I could partially cook the rice, make a filing for it, roll it like a sushi roll, then boil it in an oven bag. I think I ought to find the time to try it out :) I'm also thinking I should take a leaf out of your American book and do a bikkie bake up. Australians don't do that, but there are plenty of vegan biscuit (cookie) recipes and they won't need refrigerating.

We will have this on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. I'll have to think of something to take to Christmas dinner too. Something that can be made in advance and stuck in my grandmother's fridge, perhaps. I'll have to see what they want me to bring.

Hmm,

Rosie

Hey Rosie, so you don't have a fridge, cooler, ice box... anything?? Wow...so what do your meals usually consist of?? I'm totally curious. I could be meat free... as long as I get chocolate:-)

Carrie

Hey Rosie, so you don't have a fridge, cooler, ice box... anything?? Wow...so what do your meals usually consist of?? I'm totally curious. I could be meat free... as long as I get chocolate:-)

Carrie

If it is hot enough that chocolate will require refrigeration, you can buy M&Ms. They melt in the mouth, not in the hand, as the adverts say :D

We're mostly vegan, so we don't have meat at home, except occasionally when dh feels like kranskies. Then he buys them, birngs them home and eats them straight away. Refrigeration not required!! The only dairy we have around is kefir, and that doesn't need refrigeration either. During the winter, we've eaten pretty much whatever we've wanted, but we shop more frequently and cook smaller portions. We're coming into summer now, so now we'll see if we're up to the challenge. I want to get some unglazed ceramic jugs to keep water in. It's not hot enough to heat the pipes yet, but it's getting that way. I assume we'll eat mostly salads during the summer, but that's all anyone really feels like eating anyway, so no big deal. We'll probably have to shop for salad greens every day instead of every two or three, but we're walking distance to the shops, so it's a good excuse to make sure we actually do leave the house, instead of hibernating the summer away. We still have the fridge here, in case we find we need it over summer, but if I can sort out another method of cooling water, I don't think we will. We're out of the habit of it, really.

It's not for everyone, of course, but we don't really miss it. Except when we're on the hunt for munchies, and we go and look in the fridge out of habit, even though we know there's nothing there, hehehe. Old habits die hard :)

Rosie

We'll be having the usual Venezuelan feast late on the 24th: hallacas (huge tamales with several kinds of meat, olives, raisins and spices), pan de jamon (sweet bread rolled like a jelly roll with ham, olives and raisins), pernil (pork roast), ensalada de gallina (chicken salad with potatoes, carrots, peas, mustard and mayo) and Spanish cider. Yum!

We have the feast at bil's place, but we do most of the shopping. It's fun to go to the Venezuelan bakery and shop to buy the ingredients because it feels a bit like being in Caracas at Christmas. And bil's gf moonlights at a caterer so she always has amazing appetizers and desserts.

We have lasagne, which I make the day before and put uncooked in the fridge. Simply take it out and cook it on Christmas! I also make homemade garlic bread-I make up the garlic butter the day before, then simply spread it on the bread and heat it through on the day. Mom brings the desserts and some appetizers-which she also makes the day before. (Apps are usually TONS of shrimp cocktail and chips/homemade guacamole, also some kind of a hot dip for crackers or whatever.) We go easy-no salads, etc. Voila! Yummy and we don't really have to "cook" on Christmas Day.

Christmas Eve, we go to church and then go to teh local Chinese Restaurant.

Christmas Day....I'm not sure what we'll do this year. I'm not even sure if we'll have any visitors. Our only living parent is in assisted living with Alzheimer's and we both have no siblings. I may just make a turkey tetrazzini and a cake. Everybody loves the tettrazini, and I can make it ahead of time, and just throw it in teh oven. Christmas just isn't as fun with no family. We open the gifts and then it's just another day.

Christmas Eve it's oyster stew

:lol::lol::lol: Sorry... I had to laugh... Dh grew up having oyster stew as the family Christmas Eve meal too. What is funny about it is that the "tradition" started by accident, and though no one really liked it, they kept it up for YEARS until finally someone asked "Why?" and they discovered that it all started when the GGparents had surprise visitors and that is all they had "bulk" of in the pantry. Finally my dh spoke up (around 7yo or so at the time), "So-and-so has grilled cheese and tomato soup, can we have that instead?" and that is when our Christmas Eve meal tradition started. :lol::lol::lol:

Dh works all day Christmas Eve (we have church services all day long) and doesn't get back until after our midnight candlelight service, so the kids, grandparents and I do the "traditional meal" and then GP babysit while I go to enjoy the midnight service with dh.

Christmas I typically do a ham b/c it is easy and I don't want to miss out on all of the fun!

Edited by babysparkler

We'll be having the usual Venezuelan feast late on the 24th: hallacas (huge tamales with several kinds of meat, olives, raisins and spices), pan de jamon (sweet bread rolled like a jelly roll with ham, olives and raisins), pernil (pork roast), ensalada de gallina (chicken salad with potatoes, carrots, peas, mustard and mayo) and Spanish cider. Yum!

We have the feast at bil's place, but we do most of the shopping. It's fun to go to the Venezuelan bakery and shop to buy the ingredients because it feels a bit like being in Caracas at Christmas. And bil's gf moonlights at a caterer so she always has amazing appetizers and desserts.

Now that sounds delicious. If someone else was cooking it.

We don't have a traditional meal. We not overly fond of turkey so we definitely don't want that again so soon after Thanksgiving. Usually, I end up making whatever like any other day of the year.

I'm thinking of making a roast this year. After going up with a mom that only made pot roast, I'm finally learning how to make it in the oven and I like it that way. I'll probably add dairy-free mashed potatoes to that. Not sure what else...maybe some dairy free stuffing and steamed veggies.

The hard part is that I do have some heavy-on-the-dairy appetizers and desserts that I traditionally make around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve that I can't have. I have to find something else to make this year.

We have Posole and green and red chili on Christmas eve if MIL comes to visit. Dh is from New Mexico and this is a tradition for them and MIL cooks it so I don't have to cook and that's okay with me. But if she's not here, I don't like it enough to go through all the trouble, so we have a fun appetizer night instead and snack while we watch Christmas movies.

Christmas we usually end up making a spiral ham because it's easy and no one wants to repeat turkey. But this thread has inspired me to get out of my rut and try something new this Christmas. We have extended family that comes or I wouldn't even go through the trouble of a traditional meal for Christmas day either.

But this thread has inspired me to get out of my rut and try something new this Christmas.

Me too! I'd give anything to get out of the Thanksgiving Repeat and try something new. There are so many fun things in this thread that I might just make something new in addition to Dad's Manditory Turkey.