Menu

Besides fondue, what did you eat in 70's?

A salad I haven't had in years...but why? They were good.

Iceberg lettuce (either cut in wedges [really retro] or broken into leaves.

Sliced cucumbers.

Cherry Tomatoes, or sliced Tomatoes.

Bob's Big Boy Roquefort [best] or Blue Cheese Dressing.

Served on [and this is the IMPORTANT PART] frozen dinner plates. These must be in the freezer for hours prior to serving. Tossing the salad in a frozen stain-less steel bowl is a nice touch too.

Add fresh ground pepper at serving.

And a martini [gin, like I should have to say it :tongue_smilie:] couldn't hurt. Two olives please :D

That actually sounds REALLY good...I can't remember the last time I had iceberg. I LOVE blue cheese dressing. I've been making it homemade lately. SO SO SO good.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good. For an extra-nice touch, freeze the salad forks too. I kid you not!

I REMEMBER THAT! I was an only child, and really, really compliant, so my parents took me out to nice, nice restaurants growing up. I remember this one place downtown Seattle that always had cold forks. They must have been real sterling, too.

And the bathroom had buttons on the floor that you pushed with your toe to turn on the sink water, which came out of swan's mouths! :lol: It was the best bathroom in. the. world.

Ya'll are crackin me up!

How's this for weird? I LOVED Spaghettios! My mother would make wonderful real Mexican food (enchiladas and the thingy where the whole chile is stuffed with cheese and then deep fried-the name is escaping me right now). Spoiled brat that I was, I didn't like it. So....I got to have Spaghettios. yum. What was I thinking?

I actually went out and bought a can of spaghettios a few years back, took it home, heated it up, and bleeeccchh! Couldn't stand it. At least I have finally come to my senses.

We also ate the TV dinners - loved the dessert, vienna sausages, Hamburger Helper, pizza in a box (it was Chef Boyardee -they still make it) and yes, I remember having Spy Car's salad. That actually sounds good to me now. :)

My mother would make wonderful real Mexican food (enchiladas and the thingy where the whole chile is stuffed with cheese and then deep fried-the name is escaping me right now).

Chiles Rellenos.

I remember having Spy Car's salad. That actually sounds good to me now. :)

I know, I want one right now. Who ever makes a salad with iceberg anymore? Not me. But. I want one now.

I used to fly frequently between LA and Monterey, CA and at the little airport in Monterey (which is like a bus terminal compared to LAX) there is a bar restaurant that served this salad still, although they did include some mixed baby greens, beet greens, and beet-root, and when the place was late due to fog (common) I'd enjoy a salad in the sky-bar.

Bill

Wow ,no mention of the Kraft peanut butter product called Koogle ?? Yes banana flavored peanut butter , chocolate and someother flavor that escapes my memory now. Truly disgusting. I also remember eating kids frozen dinners with the pudding that was to be removed prior to heating in the oven. My father saw no point to doing any of that nonsense so we ate pudding that was hot I mean really baked at 400 degrees hot . Gag. My parents forays into ethnic and gourmet food were actually far,far worse than anything that could be bought in the grocery. Seriously there was some bad gastronomy afoot back in the day. I recall some horrid raisin sauce over pheasant that truly was frightening to behold. I do recall a particular thing that I wanted desperately and my mother refused to buy, it was a foul thing called Mug -o -Lunch. She thought it looked like garbage in a cup and would smell even worse. I loved my friend's mom becasue she knew what good food was...pizza rolls by Jeno's , boxed Mac and cheese, and the holy of holies for all children ,TWINKIES. I still eat them and must say they are perfect frozen and chopped over pecan ice cream. Raspberry zingers run a close second. FWIW the scariest food of the 70's had to be all the scary crap that passed for "diet food." Ak mak crackers my foot!! They still sell those evil cardboardy things. I would sooner use it as a shim for a table leg than put it in my mouth. The cereal , oh my, Kaboom or Quisp were pretty good but the Boo Berry was the best. Blue milk at 7 am with like 30 tsps of sugar to boot those were the days, what could possibly be better??

Chef Boyardee pizza-kit-in-a-box

Frozen Salsbury steaks in gravy (heat and serve)

Any entree made with Bisquick (like those "impossible pie" creations)

Man, I was scrolling and scrolling wondering when someone was going to say Chef Boyardee pizza in a box. Thank you! What were those people thinking??? Gag-ola!!!:D More to the point, why did my mother ever buy it???

My mom used to serve that nasty spaghetti-in-a-box (I think it was Chef Boyardee or Franko-American?) with fried fish.

Fried fish with a side of spaghetti. That had come from powdered spaghetti sauce. :001_huh:

I think I woulda' preferred the marijuana buffet that a previous poster mentioned. :lol:

My mom used to serve that nasty spaghetti-in-a-box (I think it was Chef Boyardee or Franko-American?) with fried fish.

Fried fish with a side of spaghetti. That had come from powdered spaghetti sauce. :001_huh:

I think I woulda' preferred the marijuana buffet that a previous poster mentioned. :lol:

Maybe if you had the marijuana buffet, you wouldn't care if it was powdered spaghetti sauce. :lol:

I remember my sister making something called Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese and Spam. I bet someone in the family still has that recipe somewhere.

70s to me is casseroles with stuff from cans mixed together. Potatoes were as fresh as it got. Thankfully we've moved beyond that.

Ya'll are crackin me up!

I actually went out and bought a can of spaghettios a few years back, took it home, heated it up, and bleeeccchh! Couldn't stand it. At least I have finally come to my senses.

My brother is the spaghettios expert and we both agree that the recipe has been changed. It really was tasty back in the 70's, but very nasty now:D

grape poptarts

Coco Wheat with mounds of sugar

Apple Jacks

Ho-ho's

Carnation INSTANT breakfast

Pancake syrup with butter over a burner/candle to keep it heated

Bub's Daddy gum (grape)

Pizza burgers

no bake cookies

My brother is the spaghettios expert and we both agree that the recipe has been changed. It really was tasty back in the 70's, but very nasty now:D

grape poptarts

Coco Wheat with mounds of sugar

Apple Jacks

Ho-ho's

Carnation INSTANT breakfast

Pancake syrup with butter over a burner/candle to keep it heated

Bub's Daddy gum (grape)

Pizza burgers

no bake cookies

I make Pizza Burgers for my kids. YUM!

I LOVE Watergate salad! I'm not sure if I ever had it in the 70s, but I have been known to get some at the deli more recently. :D

A salad I haven't had in years...but why? They were good.

Iceberg lettuce (either cut in wedges [really retro] or broken into leaves.

Sliced cucumbers.

Cherry Tomatoes, or sliced Tomatoes.

Bob's Big Boy Roquefort [best] or Blue Cheese Dressing.

Served on [and this is the IMPORTANT PART] frozen dinner plates. These must be in the freezer for hours prior to serving. Tossing the salad in a frozen stain-less steel bowl is a nice touch too.

Add fresh ground pepper at serving.

And a martini [gin, like I should have to say it :tongue_smilie:] couldn't hurt. Two olives please :D

You can still get that. At Ruth's Chris, Mortons, your standard, jacket-required steakhouses. I'm sure they've "upscaled" it but it's still a hunk of iceburg.

We had Swiss steak, stuffed cabbage / peppers, chicken a la king (no pouch)... actually, aside from the Swiss steak, which I just don't care for, I still make the stuff my mother made when I was a kid. Well, except canned vegetables. And the wonderful Green Giant brussels sprouts in butter sauce that I would eat at every.single.meal if they'd let me. My kids don't care for brussels sprouts. :confused:

Pop Rocks and those Lick-a-Sticks...you know the ones with the candy stick that you would lick and then dip into a koolaid like powder. Pop Rocks are still around.....my kids hate them, lol.....but I haven't seen those lick sticks in many years.

Bubble Yum gum especially in watermelon flavor.

Candy necklaces.

Space Food Sticks "just like the astronauts eat" (blech)

The ultimate party food that I remember mom serving was the cheese from the squirt bottle....it came with different decorating tips (like frosting does now). Always on Triscuits. I think it was called Squeeze Cheese but is now called Easy Cheese and you can still buy it...but other than a 1970's party, why would you?

Salad bars were BIG.....not just in restaurants, but in grocery stores too, you could make up a salad with everything they had and you paid by the weight. I lived on those in college (late 70s).

Definitely remember Swansons frozen chicken pot pies....ate those darn near daily too...and now everytime I see them in the frozen aisle at the grocery I want to run far and fast, lol.

Actually lots of frozen TV dinners....I know they're still around now too, but I don't eat them now, but had a freezer full of them back in the 70s and 80s. Seriously, I can remember when the only things in the freezer were stacks of TV dinners and a bag of ice...and life was good.

Hamburger Helper.

Kraft Mac and Cheese.

Jello with Cool Whip layers, and/or canned fruit in it.

Gee, looking at this list I am starting to understand why my body looks like it does, lol. Eating habits established in high school/college and never quite got over for 35 years afterwards. Thank heavens I finally started making changes, lost weight and now feel confident that my children aren't doomed to follow in my footsteps.

And I know you didn't ask about clothing, but I vividly remember the satin phase....I have photos of me in satin pants and a satin jacket looking oh so stylish. And my kids literally roll on the floor laughing when looking at them.

Edited by ConnieB

Must weigh in with a completely different view of the late '70's when I was an undergraduate. My college friends and I swore by books like Diet for a Small Planet. We baked whole grain breads and ate beans and rice. Yeah, we were poor--but we were also reacting to our Tang filled childhoods, I suppose.

The Moosewood Cooperative published the first Moosewood cookbook in the late '70's, so I know that we were not alone in pursuing a dramatically different diet than the meat/potato/veg thing that many of us had grown up on.

Having said that, I will add that family dinners of the time always concluded with some sort of dessert containing Cool Whip. What was that all about? I remember that my sister (who married in the '70's) had to make regularly some sort of green pistachio pudding/lady finger/Cool Whip thing.

Jane (who never understood fake whipped cream)

Tang

Jiffy Pop

PB & J in a jar-yuck

Funyuns-onion rings in a bag-I looked up the name

Pop rocks-they killed Mikey from the Life commercial-remember

Scrapple-it's a nasty Philly thing

Creamed corn-shudder

tootsie roll pops

lollipop that was shaped like a whistle(don't remember name)

Hawaiian Punch

Creamed chip beef-we still make this. My kids love it-It's another Philly thing.

Here's a link to a website that plays old commercials from the 70s:

http://www.retrojunk.com/content/commercial.php?view=list&era=1970&step=3&type=food&sort=new&page=5

Right now, Target at least has Count Chocula and Frankenberry cereals, don't remember whether I saw Booberry, for Halloween.

Swanson tv dinners

watergate salad

frozen fish sticks with baked frozen french fries and canned green beans (every Tuesday because my mom had a meeting and it was something my dad could take out of the oven/off the stove after she left)

ambrosia at Christmas (a sort of fruit salad with coconut)

vienna sausage (pronounced "vy-eena");)

fried livermush (sliced thin, dredged in flour and fried to crispy) sandwiches with mayo on white bread toast

tomato sandwiches from the garden with Duke's mayo, salt and pepper on white bread

Underwood deviled ham spread

ham and cheese loaf on white bread with mayo sandwiches (this was a big treat, usually only for bag lunches for field trips)

campbells soup and american cheese sandwiches (almost every day for lunch in the summer)

molded jello salads ("congealed salad"---appetizing, right?) with cottage cheese in them

smores

Jiffypop popcorn served in the foil thing

popcorn balls at Halloween from my great aunt

going to the city 20 miles away for something and getting to eat real ethnic exotic food----at Taco Bell.;)

GrapeNuts cereal once in a while

poke cake (white boxed mix cake done in a 9x13 pan, poke holes in it after it's been baked and pour over different colors of warm jello, then chill)

porcupine meatballs (meatballs rolled in rice)

swedish meatballs

country-style steak with mashed potatoes and canned green beans

flower pot bread was late in the 70s IIRC (bread baked in a clean clay flower pot)

peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate that had been mixed with melted paraffin wax for Christmas

Martha Washington candy (mashed potato mixed with confectioner's sugar to make a dough, rolled out, spread with peanut butter and rolled up like a jelly roll, then sliced)

Something my mom always took to potlucks----potato salad mounded up like a volcano, then take hotdogs, split them lengthwise and fry them, lay them vertically equally spaced around the sides of the volcano fried side out, and in between the hotdogs place a few slices of olives stuffed with pimentoes.

The other things that stick out in my mind from church potlucks were the watergate salad and chicken tetrazzini. She also used to make a special "salad"--place half a canned pear flat side up on a piece of lettuce, fill the depression with Duke's mayonnaise, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. A big treat for us, don't know if she made it up, was to take saltine crackers, top them with either a piece of cheddar or some peanut butter, stick a large marshmallow on each cracker and broil it in the toaster oven.

My husband talks about having something he remembers as being called Pat Nixon's Surprise Casserole (basically tuna casserole topped with crushed potato chips). To this day he is very suspicious of any casserole topped with any kind of crumbs:). Here's a site with celebrity recipes that might give some ideas of things that might have been in women's magazines of the time

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/celebN/celebN.html Also check out the Retro Housewife http://www.retro-housewife.com/1970s-recipes.php

Edited by KarenNC

Pop Rocks

Hawaiian Punch

Jiffy Popcorn

Crepes Suzette

Crepes of any kind, ham, seafood...

Quiche Lorraine

Swedish Meatballs or Meatballs in a tomato sauce

Escargot

Garlic Bread

Croquettes

Fries & Gravy

Deviled eggs

baked grapefruit

Kraft Dinner

Caesar Salad

Steak Tartar or Steak Dianne

Chicken Wings

I can't remember much, but here's what I remember:

fried bologna on white bread (gasp!)

Tang

t.v. dinners

cheese in a spray can

jello mold

Kraft macaroni and cheese

hot dogs

I think other than that we had a lot of homemade stuff that is still served which is probably why it doesn't stand out in my memory.

Stuffed cabbage

Pot roast

corned beef and cabbage

Lasagna

My brother loved Spaghettios so much that one year for Christmas, my parents gave him a whole CASE of them!

I never really liked them. However, I do remember a spaghetti "dinner" in a box from Kraft. Do they still make it? It had the pasta, and a little packet of seasonings and I think a can of tomato paste or something.

Wendi

I can not believe no one has mentioned The Fluffenutter! Best made on Wonder Bread.

Cheese in a can on Ritz crackers.

My mom made Ratatouie all the time in the 70's.

Franks and Beans (another childhood staple)

Salmon Mousse.

Devils Underwood canned chicken

Edited by kewb

ConnieB, Lik-A-Stiks are still available! You must not have spent much time around Midwestern Little League ballparks lately! ;)

Chelle

That's the name! I kept typing it and saying, hmmm, that's not quite right, but knew that SOMEONE would know what I meant.

Hmmmm, not there aren't many Midwestern ballparks in Arizona, lol. Clearly I need to go on vacation soon.

I remember:

-cream cheese logs rolled in nuts to be used as a spread on crackers

-Underwood deviled ham balls covered with cream cheese and then rolled in nuts, to be used as a spread on crackers

-Underwood liver spread as a sandwich filling, wish I could find it again, I loved it

-velveeta cheese toasted on bread, velveeta cheese tastes different now

-cream cheese 'candies' which must have been cream cheese mixed with sugar and food coloring and then molded into different shapes like leaves and such

-popcorn balls

-we had fondue all the time

-my mom did her cooking out of the Betty Crocker cookbook, which i still have. although we did sometimes eat chicken ala king, chow mein from cans, and sloppy joes.

I'm loving this blast to the past! :)

That's the name! I kept typing it and saying, hmmm, that's not quite right, but knew that SOMEONE would know what I meant.

Hmmmm, not there aren't many Midwestern ballparks in Arizona, lol. Clearly I need to go on vacation soon.

I was guessing, too! Here's a link to it:

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/lik-m-aid.htm

Come on over next spring and you can have all you want from the concession stand!

Chelle