Menu

Homemade Christmas gift ideas?

I can't believe that Christmas is almost upon us. Who has some homemade ideas for this moderately crafty mom? Please, no ideas for "something in a jar" gifts - I did that last year! I can kind of sew...but I can't knit or crochet : (

Thanks crafty mamas!!!

Scubamama

7yods 5yo dd 2 yodd many toads, a tadpole that is now a frog and 2 tortoises in the yard!

I took all my dh's family photos and divided them into scrapbooks for each sibling (2 boys, 1 girl). The books turned out really nice, IMO. I dont' know if they were appreciated but at least I know the pictures aren't distintigrating in a box in the garage (their previous home at MILs).

I've also made books for my parents of all their baby pictures, etc. They were very touched by the gifts.

I didn't go fancy just plain colored sheets with very few bells and/or whistles.

A few years ago, my MIL collected up the family favorites from her mom's recipe collection and put them together in a set of scrapbooks for the family. Most of them had some little recollection, like who she'd gotten it from, when MIL remembered GMIL cooking it, that GFIL had always commented that a certain stew needed more tomatoes or the "Oops, Gum" in the chocolate pie story.

She either typed them and printed them onto scrapbook paper or copied the original card onto the paper. One is even in the handwriting of my dh's great grandmother because she had written the recipe down for her daughter (dh's GM).

Another year, MIL collected up a bunch of recipes that she makes, along with recipes from me and all of my sisters-in-law. When she visits, she take pictures of us in our kitchens and has done various photo montages for the covers. Some of the covers are really funny, like the one that has my middle son rolling his eyes at something she'd said.

One more notebook like this that she made was a scrapbook with copies of the letters back and forth between her parents during WWII. An incredible glimpse of the sense of humor that they had in the years before and just after getting enganged.

When she puts these together she uses 81/2 x 11 paper and standard sized sheet protectors. She uses some scrapbooking photo albums, but the recipe book that we're still adding to is just a nice three ring binder.

It might not seem that impressive of a gift, but it is one of those things that I always had talked about doing but had never gotten around to. And to have the funny little stories with the recipes is very nice.

We're making yummy popcorn. I found a few recipes and we're going to fill up some tins and let the kids decorate them. For some close friends and neighbors, I'm canning bruschetta topping and then I'll make up some Artisan breads.

Last year, one of the things I made for my Aunt was a scrap page of her dogs on artist's canvas. Actually, it was 3 smaller canvases that I then connected with ribbon. It turned out absolutely beautiful and I still kick myself that I didn't take any pictures!

Check to see if your library has any of the following books:

Amy Butler's In Stitches

Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol

Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects

They all have simple but charming sewing projects.

Another sewing suggestion is to search the archives over at Sew Mama Sew. Over on the left side, you'll see Handmade Holidays. Click on it to find loads of ideas and tutorials.

This week I made an apron from the Amy Butler book for a gift. I found the instructions to have more detail than I required--perfect for someone without a lot of sewing experience if that is the case. The Amy Karol and Lotta Jansdotter books are even more elementary if you want a lot of hand holding.

Perhaps in October or November we should have weekly roundups of our projects. It will be fun to see what everyone is doing!

Best,

Jane

I made my MIL a 'garbage bowl' (like Rachel Ray uses on her counter to throw the trash in while she's cooking, then she empties it when she's done) with a bowl from the $1 store. I decoupaged it with tissue paper, I had planned to add a print out of a rooster but I ran out of time.

I'm planning on helping the DC make clay beads for necklaces and bracelets as gifts this year. I'm thinking a single bead pendant on cord for the younger guys, and bracelets or necklaces with the beads and gypsy bells for the women and girls.

One year I made homemade caramel, then covered it with melted chocolate (on wax paper). Those were delicious.

I've made soap petals before too, but that was way too time consuming and frustrating for me.

Homemade bubble bath

Homemade bath salts

Homemade soaps (kits at Hobby Lobby or make your own)

We made aprons with reindeer on them using craft paint, a big button, feet & hand prints

Tie Dye Tshirts or hats or socks... fun but messy

Cookie mix in a big jar with flannel lid cover & recipe card for label.... layer the goodies just like what you see in store bought sets.

Really great scrapbooks using paper layers & ribbon (not albums, etc)

Frames, vases, plates & bowls with Decoupage pictures or words, etc

Painted dominoes or use stamps/ink... apply magnet on dotted side... refridge magnet

My dd took some pretty flower pictures, which I cropped for her (they are on my blog). We are going to let her take some more, and make flower calendars thru CVS or maybe Snapfish (whoever has a good deal) for her grandmothers.

I am bound and determined to make a set of cement stepping stones for my hubby.

Two years ago, I made pillows out of tied fleece for the kids in my son's treatment house, and made my kids both a pillow and an afghan the same way. I used kits from Oriental Trading, but you could do it much cheaper with just fleece by the yard from Walmart or some cheap place.

Edited by Chris in VA

I've made place mats, some formal with beautiful Christmas fabrics, some casual with homespun fabrics (leave the edges frayed), cloth napkins in a pretty Christmas fabric, either surged or turned and stitched are great also. Roll them up and tie together with a pretty ribbon. Table runners can be quick and easy too. I've also done homemade felt Christmas ornaments with free patterns found online. We made angel bears and snowmen, Santa faces, etc... This year I'm making homemade vanilla & possiblly Christmas aprons. The vanilla is already soaking. We'll see if I find time for the aprons. hth!

ETA, I've also made travel size tissue holders. Super simple, literally a 5 min. project and people loved them, especially when you put the tissue it in for them.

Edited by Paintedlady

A few years ago, my MIL collected up the family favorites from her mom's recipe collection and put them together in a set of scrapbooks for the family. Most of them had some little recollection, like who she'd gotten it from, when MIL remembered GMIL cooking it, that GFIL had always commented that a certain stew needed more tomatoes or the "Oops, Gum" in the chocolate pie story.

She either typed them and printed them onto scrapbook paper or copied the original card onto the paper. One is even in the handwriting of my dh's great grandmother because she had written the recipe down for her daughter (dh's GM).

Another year, MIL collected up a bunch of recipes that she makes, along with recipes from me and all of my sisters-in-law. When she visits, she take pictures of us in our kitchens and has done various photo montages for the covers. Some of the covers are really funny, like the one that has my middle son rolling his eyes at something she'd said.

One more notebook like this that she made was a scrapbook with copies of the letters back and forth between her parents during WWII. An incredible glimpse of the sense of humor that they had in the years before and just after getting enganged.

When she puts these together she uses 81/2 x 11 paper and standard sized sheet protectors. She uses some scrapbooking photo albums, but the recipe book that we're still adding to is just a nice three ring binder.

It might not seem that impressive of a gift, but it is one of those things that I always had talked about doing but had never gotten around to. And to have the funny little stories with the recipes is very nice.

Wonderful!

We made these coasters one year. Everyone got a set of 4 - they were a big hit!!!

http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html

Hey! I like those. Dd and I are learning a bit of sewing this fall, and this looks like the kind of project we could handle!

I don't have official instructions, but you could make simple Christmas tree ornaments - cut 2 pieces of fabric into the shape of stars, birds, etc. Sew wrong sides together, embellish with small buttons or beads, turn inside out and stuff with a bit of fluffy stuff. Attach a small cord or ribbon for hanging.

For girls who like to play "house" or cook in the kitchen you can make a cute apron from a pillow case.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=123434.0

We made candle holders one year... bought plain glass votives & this special glass paint... we used several colors & several textures to make votive candle holders.

On on thread in the links, they mention cards & stationary... if you can copy well and can buy a few pretty papers, ink and a stamp or 2... you can do some neat things. You mgiht visit splitcoaststampers.com for great ideas.

The make cute buckets, lunch boxes, wall art... magnets, cards, frames... everything using paper, stamps & inks... also many directions.

Check out You Tube also. We learned some gREAT tips for tie dye techniques on the Expert Village.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this idea, but for the past several years I've made all the grandparents scrapbooked calendars. I get the calendars at Michael's dollar bin section, and look for deals on prints from drugstores, shutterfly, etc.

The calendars hold 4x6 prints and I just do some simple embellishments (rounding corners, adding stickers, etc.) Then I make sure to write all the family birthdays on the calendar.

I try to match each month with photos of the kids from the same month this year (Halloween pics on October, etc.) The grandparents love getting these. I also made one for a friend one year, with pics of her kids (ordered from online albums she'd shared with me). She was really touched by it!

A couple of years ago, a friend and I got together and over a bottle of wine made some fantastic homemade truffles. We did several different flavors (all with the same basic base recipe, just different variations.) We also made a couple of varieties of biscotti. It was so much fun, it was inexpensive and it was a huge hit. The same friend and I also pulled resources to make a recipe collection...just made copies of our favorites and put them in inexpensive binders. They too were a success. People love food!:D

I took up stained glass this year (along with my hubby.) I'm going to do a Christmas ornaments for my sisters in law and a few friends. I can make small ornaments (hearts, crosses, stars) fairly quickly and they look pretty hanging on a tree with a light behind them.

For neighbors and co-workers, we do homemade cookies or chocolates.

For church staff...hmmm, they got food stuff last year. Maybe they will get something handmade.

I also like simple patchwork quilted potholders.

Could you tell me more about how to do this? I need all the basics -- like what kind of glue to use, how to attach the pictures so they don't wrinkle, or whatever. This sounds so cool!!

Sandy

Last year, one of the things I made for my Aunt was a scrap page of her dogs on artist's canvas. Actually, it was 3 smaller canvases that I then connected with ribbon. It turned out absolutely beautiful and I still kick myself that I didn't take any pictures!

We give grandparents and doting aunts & uncles framed art from the children. We have also given knitted scarves, potholders, frozen chicken (which we've raised), beeswax candles, cookies, and eggs. Small children have been given homemade organic play-dough with scents, such as vanilla or peppermint , (happily received) packed up with cookie cutters. We also recycle/gift excellent condition books.

Edited by LibraryLover

We're making yummy popcorn. I found a few recipes and we're going to fill up some tins and let the kids decorate them. For some close friends and neighbors, I'm canning bruschetta topping and then I'll make up some Artisan breads.

Can you ask her to take a picture of it for you?

One-Hour Fleece Blanket

SUPPLIES

~ 1 2/3 yard of 2 coordinating fleece prints and/or solids

~ Scissors/pinking shears or rotary cutter and mat

~ Quilting or safety pins

~ Masking tape

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Lay one piece of fabric on your work surface with the WRONG side up with selvages on the left and right. Lay the second piece of fabric RIGHT side up on to of the first, with the selvages on the top and bottom. This will stabilize your blanket.

2. Remove selvages and trim fabric to a 58" square. Use a few pins to hold the pieces together.

3. Place masking tape on all sides of the top piece of fleece, four inches from the edge. Cut fringe at one-inch intervals, using the masking tape as a guide.

4. Tie the top and bottom layers in a knot at each fringe. At the corners, cross over the fringe so the bottom right connects to the top left, etc. Remove 4" square from the corners.

**The same technique can be used to make a matching pillow. Or, use the same measuring and cutting technique to make an easy single-layer blanket.

A couple of years ago, a friend and I got together and over a bottle of wine made some fantastic homemade truffles. We did several different flavors (all with the same basic base recipe, just different variations.) We also made a couple of varieties of biscotti. It was so much fun, it was inexpensive and it was a huge hit. The same friend and I also pulled resources to make a recipe collection...just made copies of our favorites and put them in inexpensive binders. They too were a success. People love food!:D

MMMM! Can you use rum? We got a huge bottle from a friend in Haiti but we dont' drink it. Eureka... great idea maybe to try this!

These are actually very easy to make (and pretty inexpensive):

http://ournestof3.blogspot.com/2008/11/stamped-candles-great-gift-idea.html

AWESOME! Love it adn the cards on the side. Thanks to OP for this thread. Gets the ideas going in my noodle also! Yeah!

FOR OP... I saw a small end table that had been covered (on top) with old rulers/yardsticks. They were all same thickness & were staggered across the surface (no lining up even)... like you do wood in a hardwood floor layout. Anyway, after the yardsticks are attached, the put something like polyurethane coating on the surface.

Same magazine had white pillow cases made & they took fabric paint & stencils to make decorative bed pillows. Simple & not extremely expensive if you make several to get most of paint purchase.

Another idea they had... old flannel or checked mens shirts that were perhaps torn on a sleeve or damaged colar etc.... the took the belly/back areas and made pillow covers for throw pillows to have on boys bed, couch or in a playroom,etc. Simple cutting & sewing. Buttons right down pillow center just like teh belly of the guy wearing the shirt.

Last one.... COSTUME jewelry like brooches or old big necklace charms that were popular in 40, 50 & on... like women had on hats, scarves or for church. Take the pin of the back.... use gorilla glue and add a magnet in place of the pin... great sparkles and retro refrigerator magnets!

Edited by Dirtroad

I'm HUGE fan of Craft Magazine.

We'll be making these.

(the bags, not the dresses!)

FYI, we don't have colorful bags here so I bought some plastic table cloths from the $1 store to use to add fun stuff to the fused shopping bags.

They need a bit more heat to fuse than the shopping bags do, and I realize it defeats the purpose of recycling (a bit). But 1 table cloth will give you TONS of colored plastic to use for several different projects.

:tongue_smilie:That is a great idea!

I took some artist's canvas My first step was to use craft adhesive spray. I sprayed the canvas and then covered it with some paper. I then used a stamp pad on the edges. Just kind of dabbing it on the edge and onto the paper to kind of give it a softer look. I mounted the pictures on paper that gave a border of about 1/4" and used foam tape to give it a little more depth. I also used various embelishments to add the names of the dogs. For my aunt, there were three panels. (my auntie just loves her dogs!)

I made one for hubby two years ago. I'll try and get that and scan it or take a picture.

I'm making library bags for my niece and nephews. It's a basic lined bag with a handle and a small pocket with a velcro closure inside for their library cards. I'll be knitting some hats for the newest members of my sister's family and making pajama pants for the rest (I have bins and bins of fabric I bought years ago and I'm trying to put it to good use).

Last year, I made coasters for my husband's side of the family. I made a few plain ones and then I made some with everyone's name. I used twill tape, letter stamps from the craft store and fabric markers. I stamped the names onto the twill tape, heat set it and added it to the front panel of the coaster before sewing it up.

If your library has a copy of Bend the Rules Sewing, there's a nice tutorial in there, along with some other easy sewing ideas.

I received a set of coasters that were made out of tile. They were stamped, then set in the oven. They have little stick-on pads on the bottom at the corners.

Here's a site that I found that shows how-to, except this site also recommends using a few light layers of Krylon over the ink after the ink is set. I don't think mine have that--the person who gave mine to me described how she did it, and she didn't mention coating them with anything. The two coasters that we use most frequently have almost all of the ink worn off.

The photo calendars that some have mentioned is what I would recommend, esp. if you have funny or vintage photos. I did this years ago for my sil w/ old b&w photos of her parents from back when they were dating/first married. She loved it. I did one for my sister w/ lots of goofy & horrible photos of her friends :lol:. It was a huge hit.

Big pretzel sticks w/ about 2/3 of it dipped in chocolate. You can always add some sprinkles for holiday color if you want. Then, just wrap a bunch in plastic wrap & tie w/ a ribbon. You can also dip plastic spoons in melted chocolate, then wrap each w/ plastic wrap & a little ribbon once they're cool. Give a bunch to the coffee lover on your list for stirring their coffee. It's also good it you add different flavorings to your chocolate.

Put together a small first aid kit to keep in the car or at home. You could stitch up a small bag to keep the items in.

Make bird-feeders (pine cones coated w/ pb or lard, rolled in birdseed, etc...). Or, if you're able to deliver things quickly (before they would melt), my dc made some neat ice bird feeders for our yard. Get an aluminum pan, sprinkle seeds, dried fruits, etc... in it. Loop a string in the pan (so that it goes to about the middle & both ends of the string are hanging out of the pan). Fill the pan w/ water & freeze. When frozen, pop out & hang in a tree. It's pretty w/ the sun through it & critters can get to the food as the ice melts.

Last year, we collected seeds and handed out seed packets. My kids collected Marigold flower heads when our plants went to seed. We ended up with so many that we decided to give them as gifts. My husband made cute seed packets on the computer. After he printed them, we cut them out and glued them together to make little envelopes, filled them with seeds and sealed them shut. It was a great gift for those acquaintances that you wouldn't buy a big gift for. The ladies at church loved getting them from the kids and one woman just brought us a picture Sunday of her marigolds from our seeds. I'm sure you could do it with any other flowers you have going to seed. It was a fun project for the kids and was close to free.

Jennifer

• 7 months later...