Menu

What are you good at?

I blogged about this last night and thought I'd share here. Plus, I'm curious to know what you are all good at!

Here's mine:

1. Reading aloud. Particularly anything in the Hank the Cowdog series. It gives me the opportunity to use my many and varied hick accents. Plus, I can just use my own natural, sophisticated and subtle hick accent for the narrating. I'm very good at this.

2. Guitar Hero III. I've mentioned this before, but I am very good at it. Not as good as Luke, but good all the same.

3. Chicken Noodle Soup. I make a mean CNS. Call me if you're sick and I'll run some by. You'll be running a marathon the next day.

4. Finding a parking place. I don't know why this is, but it's true. Ask Bud. He marvels at this ability.

5. Remembering people. I'm very good at this. If I meet you once, I remember you. I used to think that I was just very unimpressive and nobody remembered me. Then I realized I am average-impressive, but I'm good at remembering people, so it seemed like nobody remembered me. It's relative. I hope that makes as much sense when you read it as it does when I think it. If not, don't worry. I'm the only one who will remember anyway.

So, what are you good at?

This will sound very, er... um... conceited- or something like that, LOL.

I am pretty much "good at" everything I try. I rarely find things that I want to do more than once though, LOL.

I am "good at" crocheting, knitting, spinning wool with a drop spindle (haven't tried a wheel), cake decorating, other crafy things, cooking, cleaning- I can get a stain off of almost anything (for some reason in this house my trying to remove black Sharpie from our off-white walls results in removal of paint, LOL), I am good at finding faults in things, I am good at finding the silver lining too. :-)

Baking, especially cinnamon rolls, I use this recipe, I have to make several hundred for our Easter Service (I will make them mini)

cooking- I love to cook and am good at just throwing things together and making a good meal out of very little.

Organizing-at least my friends things I'm well organized

Keeping things clean, I don't like messes and most of the time someone could stop by and know what to expect, our house is mostly clean, a spot for everything and everything in it's spot.

Kristine

Good idea! I could use a boost to self-esteem today.

1. Make lasagne TDF (to die for). I've come a long way from adding salsa to pasta :)

2. Ability to add humor to the most dire situations. There really is a silver lining to almost any cloud.

3. Read history stories and make them come alive! My children love reading time almost as much as I do.

4. Plan wicked awesome dinner parties and formal events!

5. Quote every line from FRIENDS (and much of MASH). I know, that's "so last year"!!

I'm good at knitting and sewing. I believe it's in my genes. My grandmother came to this country from Norway and I never saw her without some knitting or sewing in her hands. She was a professional seamstress for years, as was her mother and her mother...etc.

I'm good at writing. I'm getting better at organizing. I'm good at spending money. :) Getting better at saving it.

I'm good at eating, but could leave the cooking to someone else. :lol:

5. Quote every line from FRIENDS (and much of MASH). I know, that's "so last year"!!

FRIENDS!!!! I'll bet we could give each other a run for the money here. One year one of my kids gave me the Friends Trivia game. Yes, I always win. :)

What a positive, encouraging thread...

1. I'm good at keeping critters alive. Our pets live long and healthy lives.

2. I'm good at stealing creative ideas, putting my own spin on them, and creating something wonderful.

3. Photography.

4. Sales. With a bit of thought I can talk you into or out of almost anything you want to buy. LOL

5. I'm good at organizing big events for church or other non-profit (or for profit) groups. I'm good at lists, details, organizing, and implementing.

6. I'm good at gardening. I don't mind the effort I put into it and can easily hide my mistakes in the compost pile.

7. I'm good at spending the day with a good book. Yep, I'm really good at this.

I am good at helping others achieve their goals. What does that make me? Supporter? Cheerleader. Those who can do and those who can't tell others that they should? Shrug.

supporting others comes easily. I also like to organize - it's probably a must since I can remember so little - LOL and I like to bake and EAT.

When it comes to work - I like to do research and can dig up stuff pretty well.

I have a gift for hospitality. I can organize and throw a great pary in no time.

I'm good at knitting, and getting better at sewing.

I'm a great brainstormer. Get me and dh together and we come up with some fantastic ideas.

I'm the 2nd best snuggler in the whole. wide. world. (I'll let you guess who the 1st best is. :blushing:)

I'm good at taking care of my family. Making sure they eat well, get enough sleep, have everything they need, are getting a good education, etc.

Worrying and art are on my list too! :iagree:lol

Also:

cooking

cuddling felines

daydreaming

feeling others' pain, physical and mental

encouraging

reducing difficult concepts into simple terms

decorating

conflict resolution between opposing sides

Egads, no wonder I'm stressed and worried most of the time!:willy_nilly:

Hum, I could use a self esteem boost as well :grouphug:

• seeing the drama in any given situation (dh isn't sure that's a good thing)
  • giving depth to the characters in the stories I am writing
  • winning word count contests. It encourages me
  • reading people
  • singing out loud
  • breaking into spontaneous song during school to break the tension
  • planning (not always the doing :cursing:)
  • forgiving
  • defending my family
  • working to find the beauty in every moment
  • reading aloud (I love the accents as well)
  • collecting books :hurray:

I'll play:

• Picking up accents and unintentionally using them
  • Quoting lines from several seasons of SNL and Family Guy :o
  • Making chocolate cake
  • Spelling and anagramming
  • Handwriting
  • Finding humor
  • Consuming nachos
  • Pronouncing pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Oh. yeah. :001_tt2: And I can wiggle my ears... :thumbup1:

Teaching horses to carry riders. Got four to do this summer.

Accents. I'm so good at accents I recently scammed my own dad into believing I was one of his old patients. I talked to him all about my symptoms and got him to recommend a new doctor. Then I asked him about his lovely daughter and he told me that she (me of course) had five kids, three of which were triplets, and homeschooled.

You all have talents that to me make sense. What am I good at? I can only think of two things.

1) Remembering when people's birthdays are. I have no idea why. I can't remember their name half the time, but if they tell me when their birthday is, I will most likely remember it.

2) Scanning quickly. I am a cashier at Wal-Mart and have been the fastest cashier at my store for a couple of years now. I don't really even have to try, it just comes naturally. They keep track of how fast we scan. They want us to scan at least 475 items per hour. I run over 700 most of the time and if I am on a busy register, I can run over 900. Oh yippee and such. :hurray:

Not much! LOL

But I can usually -

* make dinner with no plan and "nothing in the house" and have it come out at least somewhat tasty.

*remember numbers, although I often reverse digits unintentionally when seeing them.

*understand "where people are coming from" - I'm very forgiving for that reason, I seem to understand why someone would do something even if I don't agree.

I can get people to do things for others pretty well.

I can ask others about something in a way that makes them think I have no clue but I am really just opening their eyes to the situation.

I am a pretty good mom to my boys.

I can find lost items by visualizing where they are (in this house only!).

I can wiggle my ears too.

1. I am good at knowing what is where in the fridge. Someone can yell from the fridge, "Where's the salsa?", and I can say, "On the second shelf down on the left, behind the pickled grapes."

2. I am good in an emergency. I can stay calm, cope with blood, and do what needs to be done without barfing or fainting.

3. I can taste something in a restaurant or that someone else cooked, tell what went into it, and recreate it later. I can cook and bake very well, though to be honest, I don't really enjoy cooking and baking much anymore.

4. I can sculpt well. I used to make elaborate cakes that were shaped and/or molded, with fabulous rolled fondant creations all over them. When I did pottery, I made the bust of a bull elephant's head- it was huge, and very realistic.

5. I can come up with poetry off the top of my head, and can make up songs on the spur of the moment. My kids used to love this when they were little, now I just do it to bug them, lol.

6. And this is the coolest one: I can get any baby to go to sleep in about 10 minutes maximum. (Amy, I bet I could have even got Romy to sleep!) I can also move sleeping babies from their carseats to the crib without waking them up. I am known as the "Baby Magnet" in my circle of friends, and whenever someone has a fussy baby, I am in high demand. Bonus for me is smelling their sweet baby heads!:001_smile: I guess once a nanny, always a nanny.

1. I am good at knowing what is where in the fridge. Someone can yell from the fridge, "Where's the salsa?", and I can say, "On the second shelf down on the left, behind the pickled grapes."

I can do this too!!!

I can also:

Cook great meals (not dessers) and get my kids to eat all kinds of things.

Shopping and finding the best deal on something. It's an art and great therapy.

Planning vacations and activites

Giving a massage

Tracey! You broke a board rule! Where's the recipe for the lasagne?

I broke a rule? ROFL (Did you not read the 'what do you do badly?" post :) I don't follow rules!!)

I don't have a RECIPE--it's a dash, a pinch, and leftovers from another mystery meal. Seriously, it's all about quality ingredients. Choose 3-4 recipes you like, combine them and make it your own. If that doesn't work, let DCs add a few surprise items to truly call it your own :001_smile:

Okay my turn,

I can cook a mean German Dinner.

I can have dinner from start to finish on the table in 20min flat, even if I didn't plan something give me 30seconds to look through my cabinet and I will make a meal.

I am good at making cobbler and cookies.

I am good at barking orders to rally everyone to get out the door in time.

I am good at keeping in touch with my closest friends from highschool.

I am good at remembering details most people forget.

This thread has been so fun to read. We're all so different. Plus I had one of those days where I felt like I could do nothing right - the timing was good for me.

1. I think my biggest gift is the way I can make almost anyone laugh if they need it.

2. I can also overthink just about anything. Fortunately, I'm a glass-half-full kind of thinker most of the time.

3. Since having kids, I've learned I'm very resourceful and that I actually kind of like it. I can make most situations work and we come out OK in the end.

4. Writing - I love to write and, in certain situations, I do it well.

Thanks whoever started this thread. I'll be going to be in a much better frame of mind.

I blogged about this last night and thought I'd share here. Plus, I'm curious to know what you are all good at!

Here's mine:

1. Reading aloud. Particularly anything in the Hank the Cowdog series. It gives me the opportunity to use my many and varied hick accents. Plus, I can just use my own natural, sophisticated and subtle hick accent for the narrating. I'm very good at this.

2. Guitar Hero III. I've mentioned this before, but I am very good at it. Not as good as Luke, but good all the same.

3. Chicken Noodle Soup. I make a mean CNS. Call me if you're sick and I'll run some by. You'll be running a marathon the next day.

4. Finding a parking place. I don't know why this is, but it's true. Ask Bud. He marvels at this ability.

5. Remembering people. I'm very good at this. If I meet you once, I remember you. I used to think that I was just very unimpressive and nobody remembered me. Then I realized I am average-impressive, but I'm good at remembering people, so it seemed like nobody remembered me. It's relative. I hope that makes as much sense when you read it as it does when I think it. If not, don't worry. I'm the only one who will remember anyway.

So, what are you good at?

1. Cake decorating.

2. Cooking (except when my FIL comes, when I seem to burn things!)

3. I am "the PackMaster." IOW, I can pack a lot of stuff in a small space if needed!

4. I'm a good listener (people tell me the most amazingly personal things -- not that I ask!).

5. I'm good at wiggling my nose like a rabbit.

6. I'm good at making up goofy lyrics to songs. ;-)

7. I'm good in a crisis while it's happening. Later, I fall apart. <g>

Fun question!

Writing

Being concise and to the point and getting to the heart of the matter

Runescape (I got to level 95 before I quit)

Handbells (in high school I was in a premier choir that travelled internationally, made albums and even played with Dave Brubek)

Teaching Sunday School to adults

Texas Hold Em (tournament play) - of the last 6 tournaments I've played, I've made the final table on 5 of them and am in 1st place

Teaching parenting

Organizing for school

*something unmentionable here*

Being resilient, stoic, diligent and landing on my feet

I am good at:

organizing

cleaning

telling my children I love them all day and snuggling them

making cards and scrapbooking

remembering things

taking care of the "books" for my husband's business

being thankfulf for even the little things

selecting gifts for people

making soups

reading aloud

Lets see....

Reading aloud: we've been doing it since kids were tiny, I love it.

teaching: I've taught SS, coop Latin, etc..... I like kids, and I'm good at it.

Baking: I can make really yummy desserts & such.

research: I can track down anything online, and am great at reading quickly and assimilating large amts of info. Friends use me as a curriculum resource because I love researching, and I remember details well.

*something unmentionable here*

Being resilient, stoic, diligent and landing on my feet

yeah! what SHE said! ;)

ok...

1. Optimistic. the whole "making up possible stories to excuse almost any stranger for any situation" -- i do this a LOT when dh is driving, lol. Gratitude falls in here too. I am grateful almost to a fault --content w/ what i have, no need or motivation to try to "improve" the house around me, much to dh's chagrin....

2. Energetic. I'm always moving, planning, going, or doing. Sometimes TOO fast and get tripped up!

3. Creative. I am definitely an idea gal. I can come up w/ some awesome ideas, but i need a secretary to implement and remind me!

4. eating. Yes, i can pack away a decent amount of food, treats, and cokes and still look pretty darn good w/ little effort. Humble too. cooking? um, no. But I can pull canned and frozen foods out of thin air to the amazement of dh :)

5. Packing. The Packmaster- lol! Yup. i blame it on years of Tetris. Add PackRAT here too.

6. Public Speaking. I can do TV interviews, impromptu announcements, and crowd control in a Very Effective manner. I tend to be a "take the bull by the horns" kinda gal.

7. Kid Control. similar to 6. I *love* working w/ kids! I can wrangle a crowd of kids pretty easily. Moving groups of kids from one area to another, or helping them to chill while waiting. Kinda like the Drill Sargeant barking orders,

8. I can create a cool flier to post anywhere....

9. I can remember details of movie and TV plots. I dare dh to say I'm remembering wrong! we also have TONS of quotes here too, you miserable vomitous mass.

10. Starting arguments-- like #9, lol. DH and I are constantly debating politics. All i gotta do is comment on something his right wing talk radio guys said and the next two hours are shot. Gimme a hot thread and I'm there like a moth to the flame.

11. Collecting books. Definitely my specialty!!!!

12. Read alouds: apparently I'm not the only one who likes the sound of my own voice....:rolleyes:

13. Confident. almost arrogant, lol. Is this where I'd include "overly sarcastic"??

14. Loyal. I'm not a very sensitive or caring kinda gal and don't get too hung up on mushy chit chat, but if a friend needs my help, I'm there, reporting for duty.

15. and apparently I need very little sleep, lol. Toni, gardenschooler, or MtnMom-- gimme a wake up call --8am Texas Time!! [see #2]. hee hee.

Hmmm.....

1. Research- I can research every nook and cranny out of any subject

2. Leadership- I'm a born leader........even when I don't try to be, people just look at me to do it and I jump in and do it naturally......

3. Baking- I don't like to cook, but I love to bake

4. Telling jokes

5. Dressing fashionably- For some reason I have friends that beg me to help them shop and I've done some pruning of some friends wardrobes over the years (by their request, I would never do that uninvited)

I'll play:

1. Cooking. I love to cook and try new recipes.

2. Reading People. I can connect with people through their body language. I like to help people feel good about themselves, so I'm always looking at ways I can help them see the good.

3. Multitasking. I'm doing all types of things at once.

4. Organizing. Keeping all my projects up and running is a challenge I like to take on every day.

5. Family Living. I love everything about raising and being a part of the family. Playing, reading and living as a family!