Menu

What's the cutest thing your dc says that you won't correct?

Let's have some fun. It's Friday after all, and I think on this particular day (9/11) we could all use a bit of levity.

When DD3 was very little, she called her favorite stuffed ladybug, "bee-bug". I never corrected her until she figured it out herself. She still says it.

DD5 called Barbie, "Bobbie" for 3 years. We're not a Barbie family, but I did find this endearing, and only in the last two months has she learned that Barbie is indeed, Barbie.

Some more:

DD3:

toenails are "footernails"

The hymnal is the "music Bible"

Once she said she was "sugarfied" after eating a snickerdoodle

Newman's Own balsamic vinaigrette is "Man Sauce" :lol::lol::lol: (this is my favorite -- we've all picked up on this one)

DD5:

A big bottom is a "hippobottomus" - boy does she have a sense of humor already

Original Star Trek is "The Wiggles in Space" - because of the uniforms! This made me laugh SOOOOO hard when she said it originally.

What about your kiddoes? What cute-isms have they come up with?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd when she was 2 discovered french fries for the first time and she LOVED them. I would make her homemade ones and she would want to eat them right away and I would tell her, "Wait. They're hot." and she would say "hots" can keep reaching for them. To this day we still call french fries "hots" and she's now 12 years old! hehehe :p

My 8 yo ds is severly Autistic so just about everything he says comes out wrong and is just adorably cute. His latest one this week is calling Balmex "Bonnex" He calls pizza "pisack" He's just too cute. :)

When ds was VERY little (maybe 2-3) he would sometimes in church request that we sing "The Ol' Ruggy Ol' Cross."

His granddad, whom he had for just a short while, was always "Grand Man." - Very touching.

I like the idea for this thread - looking forward to reading what others recall - am in a hurry right now so this was all I could think of (though I have oodles of notes documented in my computer files)!

When ds was VERY little (maybe 2-3) he would sometimes in church request that we sing "The Ol' Ruggy Ol' Cross."

His granddad, whom he had for just a short while, was always "Grand Man." - Very touching.

I like the idea for this thread - looking forward to reading what others recall - am in a hurry right now so this was all I could think of (though I have oodles of notes documented in my computer files)!

Oh that is precious!!

Sneezes are "bless you's" - as in "Oh, I just bless you-ed"

Traffic Cones are doh-dles - no idea why but I love it

Grilled Cheeses are "Boy-Cheeses" b/c heaven knows my 5 year old can't have a "girl cheese"

A pacifier (paci) was always a "kaci"

There's lots more that I can't think of right now.

My oldest ds when he was very little, about 2, used to say pannycakes for pancakes. He still says it like that. And now my youngest says it too.

My youngest son says mistroyed for destroyed.

There are more, but they are going away and I never correct them anymore. I will miss my boys' baby words.

I just remembered another one. When my oldest was about 4, we were listening to a song by Jaime Sole about the Grace of God. We were all singing along in the car, whn I noticed that my little guy was singing, "The Grapes of God..." I couldn't stop laughing and now I always say it that way in my head whenever I hear that song.

We have several that have crept into the family vocabulary:

There is ellie-ip for elephant, lemmie-o for envelope and leg-pits for the back of your knees. Grandpa Earl somehow became Beepa Eyeore.

My two favorites are a beeeeg for a big hug, and moochie for a kiss.

My all boy, super independent, 4yo ds will give a kiss to anyone who asks for a moochie. It is like if you know the secret code he must give you a kiss.

Amber in SJ

My all boy, super independent, 4yo ds will give a kiss to anyone who asks for a moochie. It is like if you know the secret code he must give you a kiss.

Amber in SJ

Dontcha just love it?! Ds3 will always give me a hug and kiss when I say 'give me a smooch, pooch; give me a hug, bug'. :D

It is very much like a secret code. ;)

"Fimished." She's been saying it since age 2, and even though she knows what the real word is, we all prefer her version. The same goes for "brepbest," the meal you eat in the morning.

She picked up "idiant" and "stoopit" from listening to my husband while he was driving. :glare:

When she was 2, she loved to watch "Roovy and Nax" (known to most as Ruby & Max). She still refers to them as Roovy and Max.

Onymous. I correct her on this one (learned from FLL, actually. As in Work, by Onymous.) but it's so cute!

"Pianano" and "batar" have gone away, now she plays piano and plays around with her guitar.

Last night, she asked me where her "mitten shoes" were. I finally figured out she was talking about her house shoes.

From an old file I had when she was 3:

clubs - What you wear on your hands when it's cold outside. An alternative to mittens

smustache - hair on a man's upper lip. Recently heard as "Oh no, Daddy! You lost your smustache! We have to find it!" after he shaved it off.

basketti and buchini - italian pasta, known to most as spaghetti and fettucini

birthday cake - anything relating to birthdays, like the song "Happy Birthday Cake to You" or "Happy birthday cake, PawPaw!"

bitation - what you get when you are "bited" to do something, like going to a birthday cake party

owgies - Allergies. These go with her "stuck up nose". As in, "My nose is stuck up. I have owgies. I need mecind. I don't like it."

feber - Fever. Diagnosed by putting her hand to your forehead or waving her play thermometer at your mouth.

dopter pointment - What you need if you have a "feber". Followed up by a visit from Dr. Ariel and her pink plastic doctor kit. You are guaranteed to need a shot.

mecind - Medicine. Contents of the shot.

funder-lightming - Thunder and lightning, always said together. Generally "I don't like funder-lightming."

pocksicle - Popsicle. Oddly enough, the antidote to fear of funder-lightming.

bistusting - Disgusting. You will never hear her call a pocksicle bistusting, but it's practically guaranteed if you offer her mecind.

dickoculties - Difficulties. She usually mentions "I'm having dickoculties" when she is trying to do something like button a shirt with small buttons.

sprinkles - Wrinkles. She usually mentions this during or after a long bath. "My hands have sprinkles!" Meanwhile, I'm thinking "You're giving ME sprinkles and gray hair. Get out of the tub!".

My oldest used to say "connnote control" = remote control

Middle one said "puter" = computer

yongest says "yesternight" = last night; "yesteryear"= last year

she also says "stupid hero"= super hero

and of course she says "dumb *uck" for dump truck. My sister has the last one on her cell phone and plays it for people.

Melissa

Oh, I thought of some more! (Didn't I say we needed some fun?!)

Horses were see-shers (seahorse???)

Elephants were ee-shers

Bananas were bla-blas

Tinkerbell was Tinklebell for a long time - :lol:

When DD3 wants to be affectionate, she gets very serious, and says,

"Mommy, I neeeed to give you a hawg..."

DD5 calls queen-sized beds "Queen Victoria" beds. I think that's the queen that sticks in her mind right now!

We've given up trying to correct "mowing lawn" (instead of "lawn mower"). Started with dd12 and she corrupted the rest. :D Now dh and I find ourselves saying it.

The little boy I watch (age 3) says "Statue of Liverty." I already told him mom I think it's too cute to correct and she said she agreed, so now I am contaminating other families. (He now says "mowing lawn" too!)

My ds6 just started saying, "Now for the big provence!!!" when he gets ready to show me something he's made, drawn, created, etc. I have no idea what he's trying to say, but it just cracks me up every time. I don't want him to stop saying it, so I haven't asked him what he means.;) He used to say "timbering" for pretending...not sure why.:lol: Also, he used to say, "Here comes the 'phonics' guy" when the Fed Ex deliveryman came to the door. As you can see, he's my most comical child.

Two of mine say lemonlade instead of lemonade. i know I need to correct it, but it's so sweet.

My oldest son used to call water minnow. It took us a while to figure out what that meant. Best we can figure is that we showed him a minnow in a stream and he assigned that word to the stuff the minnow was swimming in.

My youngest called tunnels dancing bears. I think it's because we have to go through a tunnel to get to Dancing Bear Toys. :001_smile:

family favorites:

shif = fish

the green globbin = The Green Goblin. "globbin" sounds so scarey, dontcha think? LOL!

similar to the Glof Glames --definitely a developmental g/l thing....

dd5: instead of croissant, she asks for cruhSNOTs. I already instructed everyone to NOT correct her!

during the t/c phase we had tutumbers and tokes.

instead of Taco Cabana we visit Taco Banana.

Until recently, my 6yo said "cavinets" for cabinets and the classic "teefs" for "teeth". When I realized those things had gone away, I was so sad! She still throws in the occasional "goed" though. "We goed to the store." She does know the proper grammar, but sometimes it slips through.

My 2yo passed (diaperless) gas this afternoon. He announced that he "popped", lol.

I don't correct most cute things my boys have said over the years. They always correct themselves over time and while it's happening, it is just too cute. :)

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich = butterjelly

Cartoon Network = Cartoon Nekwort (this one still comes up from time to time)

about = abouk

Sausage biscuit = sersage bikit

Coca cola = coca coca

In a minute = ina mingut

violin = vonjin

There are so many! My favorite and still used in place of is a butterjelly. We also say "I love you BIG" from when the big boys were little. It's so normal I forgot others don't necessarily say it that way. Right now Easton (3yr) is telling everyone he went to Coca-coca because we went to the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta about 10 days ago. I love that one.

When Miss Bossy was an infant, and she wanted to nurse, the big kids would say that she needed, "a little smackeral".

When she started talking, she called nursing "smack smack".

We are not a spanking family, but people sure think we are when we ask if the baby needs a smack smack.

She also says, "This is yoos." instead of yours.