Menu

Not a "would you eat this", but a "how much of this would you eat" question...

I'm just curious. If you wouldn't mind humoring me, would you answer this?

I made teriyaki chicken thighs (no skin) and brown rice for lunch.

If you'd skipped breakfast (not purposefully), how much of that lunch would you eat? I'm trying to decide if I was way out of line...:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Julie in CA

As much as you can without actually getting sick at the table.

:lol:

I'd say, if you have to ask, it was out of line :D

Kidding of course. If I was starving and probably having a low blood sugar, I'd have probably eaten 3-ish, and a fair amount of rice. After my blood sugar returned to normal, I'd feel nauseous. Maybe. It's hard to say because when you've waited too long to eat, you don't even see what you're eating for a little while there!

Lol! I'm not sure that's helpful... :001_smile:

I'm working on eating appropriate amounts of food, and learning to stop when other people would.

Really...how much of it would you have eaten?

Well, you should not have made up for not eating breakfast. You should have eaten a lunch portion. IMHO This is what you should have done, but not what I would have done.:blushing: I like food too much.;):blush:

Lol! I'm not sure that's helpful... :001_smile:

I'm working on eating appropriate amounts of food, and learning to stop when other people would.

Really...how much of it would you have eaten?

Oh, are you asking how much of it SHOULD you have eaten? In that case, I'd probably say 1/2 C of rice and one thigh--or maybe two, because I'm trying to get more protein these days, and if I'd skipped breakfast, I'd want to make up for the loss there. And again, thighs are small.

Oh, are you asking how much of it SHOULD you have eaten?

No, I'm not asking how much I *should* have eaten, exactly, because I already know the "correct" answers to that. I should have made the time for breakfast, because I'm overweight I should have eaten only one thigh and 1/2 cup of rice, blah, blah, blah.......

I just really want to know what *real* people would have done, so I can get a picture of how normal people eat. That probably doesn't make much sense to anyone who doesn't over-eat on a regular basis, huh?

Oh good grief. After reading a couple of these posts, I'm not EVEN going to answer. (Chandlerism.) I am serving size challenged. BIG time. This is highly annoying to most people because I'm still slender....though the metabolism is not what it used to be!

Oh, come on....p-p-p-lease? :blushing: Tell me I'm not the only one who'd eat more than one?

Probably if I'd skipped breakfast and was really hungry I wouldn't have taken the time to make a fairly nutritious lunch of chicken and brown rice.

Maybe that's your problem on getting good answers...now if you'd asked how much of the bag of potato chips or how much of the kids macaroni and cheese or how much of the leftover pizza...that I could relate to as far as overeating. :)

With chicken and rice I'd likely have eaten 1-2 thighs and about a cup of rice.

No, I'm not asking how much I *should* have eaten, exactly, because I already know the "correct" answers to that. I should have made the time for breakfast, because I'm overweight I should have eaten only one thigh and 1/2 cup of rice, blah, blah, blah.......

I just really want to know what *real* people would have done, so I can get a picture of how normal people eat. That probably doesn't make much sense to anyone who doesn't over-eat on a regular basis, huh?

LOL! Makes sense to me, but I'm a regular-basis overeater too :blush: I lost 10 pounds in June and July and was so proud of myself. Guess what happened in August? *sigh*

But yes, the skipping breakfast thing would have me blinded by a low blood sugar, and I wouldn't have seen what I was eating until at 15 minutes or so into eating, at which point I'd have eaten too much too.

When I am eating things I am allergic to, I'm a lot hungrier and eat much larger portions than when I'm not eating things I'm allergic to. Unfortunately, I no longer have a week's worth of food I'm not allergic to, I'm now a bit allergic to everything but buffalo, quail, millet, teff, lettuce, figs, and a few exotic fruits.

When I was eating non-allergic food, I would eat about 1/2 of a large plate full of food. When I'm eating things I'm allergic to, it is around 2/3 to a full plate of food.

If you have regular allergies, hidden food allergies may be making you eat more, it sets up a craving cycle for some strange reason.

I also found I need to eat less when I eat more olive oil and less sugar, low fat just made me hungrier overall. I've never been a fan of white bread, but white bread and pasta is just like eating sugar and sets up the same problem.

I would have had 3 or 4 thighs, possibly more, but not much rice because I don't really care for rice. Hmmm, maybe 1/2 cup or so? If it had a nice sweet and sour sauce on it, I'd have had more rice.

I love to eat and that sounds really good!

I think your mistake is assuming that we are a sample of "normal" people when I suspect that many of us have the same issues you have so my answer would not qualify as "normal".

FWIW... I am trying to do the same thing. Eat like a normal person. Not low carb/ weight watchers/ atkins/ meal replacement shakes/ protein bars, etc. It is amazing how long I have gone from one to another of these things. I am trying now to eat like a "normal" person. Normal breakfast, normal lunch, normal dinner, etc.

So not helpful, I know.

I think your mistake is assuming that we are a sample of "normal" people when I suspect that many of us have the same issues you have so my answer would not qualify as "normal".

Well, lol, normal is in the eyes of the beholder, eh? I was thinking that I might be able to figure out what's typical by looking at a "cross-section" of responses.

Fwiw, I ate 3 chicken thighs (they were pretty small :D), about 4 oz. (cooked weight) of rice, and had to do without veggies because I'd planned broccoli, but when I took it out of the fridge it didn't look so good. :thumbdown:

A proper serving size for protein is the size of your doubled fist. There isn't very much chicken on a small cooked chicken thigh since it's mostly bone...you didn't scarf down the bones, did you??? :D I would take the meat from the bone from maybe 3 (or 4) of them and I bet it would be about right. If the rice was amazing, I would eat at least a cup or two. A side salad and that would be a filling meal. Now you have me really hungry!

I would have eaten it all. Probably. I didn't read every reply so I don't know if you specified somewhere how much rice you made. I like teriyaki chicken and brown rice is healthy. I wouldn't have felt badly about it either. The disclaimer is that I'm really thin and need the calories. I'm sure that doesn't help.

Oh, come on....p-p-p-lease? :blushing: Tell me I'm not the only one who'd eat more than one?

I don't actually like teriyaki chicken, but if it were regular chicken, I probably would have eaten three or four thighs and probably two cups of rice. There's no way this side that 1/2 cup of rice and a thigh would be enough food for me! (And it wouldn't matter if I'd had breakfast or not!).

ETA: And like someone else said, I wouldn't have felt bad about it at all!

I'm just curious. If you wouldn't mind humoring me, would you answer this?

I made teriyaki chicken thighs (no skin) and brown rice for lunch.

If you'd skipped breakfast (not purposefully), how much of that lunch would you eat? I'm trying to decide if I was way out of line...:tongue_smilie:

I tend to overeat myself, so I will answer the question what would a normal person do?

I think a normal person would eat about 1-1/2 times a normal healthy lunch serving, due to missing breakfast. A normal lunch portion would be 3 oz of chicken thigh and 1/2 cup of rice, plus a cup of veggies.

I tend to overeat myself, so I will answer the question what would a normal person do?

I think a normal person would eat about 1-1/2 times a normal healthy lunch serving, due to missing breakfast. A normal lunch portion would be 3 oz of chicken thigh and 1/2 cup of rice, plus a cup of veggies.

Really? I don't know anyone who eats that little!

Probably 2-3 thighs and one cup of rice, maybe a little more, and I just lost 15 pounds. (But my diet is for cancer, not weight, so I am a little more motivated.) Chicken and rice isn't a concern. I wouldn't be allowed the Teriaki sauce. Sugar, white flour, yeast, chocolate, alcohol and beef are the bad things for me, along with various allergies. (I cheated and ate speghetti with meat sauce when DH and DD were eating it.)

Edited by Lovedtodeath