Menu

What are you reading?

So, what have you been reading this summer?

What I've read this summer:

"The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs (funny & insightful)

"The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell (fascinating & thought-provoking)

"Kabul Beauty School" by Deborah Rodriguez (so-so)

"The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield (quick & interesting)

"The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova (lots of great history in this Dracula tale)

"Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides (unique & touching; great characterization)

"Armadillos and Old Lace" by Kinky Friedman (fun murder mystery)

"Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett (lyrically told)

Tried reading "Twilight" (but couldn't take it), so I quit reading about 2/3 of the way through.

I'm currently reading:

"Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34" by Bryan Burrough

Getting ready to start reading:

"The Eyre Affair" (I read it a few years go but am re-reading it for my book club) by Jasper Fforde

"Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

"Marco Polo" by Laurence Bergreen, alongside "The Travels of Marco Polo" by Marco Polo

I'm working on blink and The Prince for two book groups and have read The Actor and the Housewife and Why Darwin Matters and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich for other months' groups.

For my own reading, I've read most of the Ender series, a couple of books about the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and several books on language and historical linguistics. I also read an excellent new book on ethnic minorities in China called Invisible China.

They are not new, but two of the books I really enjoyed this summer were Piano Lessons by Noah Adams and The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by Thad Carhart. They have me seriously considering starting piano lessons in my old age.

I also enjoyed another Noah Adams book, Far Appalachia: Following the New River North.

All are easy reading, but still interesting, and are easy to read chapter by chapter (or in my case, from soccer game to soccer game).

I am wanting some new reading material. So, what have you been reading this summer?

Have you tried:

1. Elizabeth Peters (Peabody series, funny and suspenseful)

2. Anne Perry (she has several series available, they all deal with life in Victorian times and point out the social evils of the day while the main story is some mystery. Well written)

3. Karen Kingsbury (Definitely Christian. Several series available as well as stand-alone books. Some are tough to read but they make me think - a lot.)

My main read is When Christ and His Saints Slept, the first in a trilogy centered on Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. This volume deals primarily with Maude's and Stephen's battle for the English throne (a time familiar to anyone who has read the Brother Cadfael series). It's a page turner despite its tremendous amount of historical detail.

I'm into historical fiction so I have read:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (quick read, lovely book)

The Other Boleyn Girl (like it a lot)

right now: People of the Book (just started, seems great)

next: The Blood of Flowers (abt 17th century Iran)

and next: Christ the Lord:Out of Egypt (by Anne Rice about the boyhood of Jesus)

or: Outlander - by Gabaldon (heard phenomenal things about this one)

or: The Killing Way (a Merlin murder mystery)

What kind of books do you like?

The last three books I've finished:

Kristin Lavransdatter (Nunnally translation) - This is now my most favorite book ever!

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - Fun. A great first novel by a talented writer. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+help+

No Graven Image by Elisabeth Elliot - thought-provoking

My main read is When Christ and His Saints Slept, the first in a trilogy centered on Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. This volume deals primarily with Maude's and Stephen's battle for the English throne (a time familiar to anyone who has read the Brother Cadfael series). It's a page turner despite its tremendous amount of historical detail.

Ohhhhh Moira, I have this on my list as well, but every time I look at it it's so dang huge that I think I just don't have the time to delve into it. Page turner, eh? Good to know, may have to bump it up on the list!

The last three books I've finished:

Kristin Lavransdatter (Nunnally translation) - This is now my most favorite book ever!

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - Fun. A great first novel by a talented writer. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+help+

No Graven Image by Elisabeth Elliot - thought-provoking

I have The Help on my list too, but my library can't keep it in for me and I'm not quite ready to hold it yet. It sounds great!!

Can you tell me more about Kristin Lavransdatter? Is it hist fiction or what? Time period? If it's now your mostest favoritest then I have to know more!!! :D

I have The Help on my list too, but my library can't keep it in for me and I'm not quite ready to hold it yet. It sounds great!!

Can you tell me more about Kristin Lavransdatter? Is it hist fiction or what? Time period? If it's now your mostest favoritest then I have to know more!!! :D

Real quick cause I'm on my way out the door--

Kristin Lavransdatter is set in the 1300's in Norway. It was originally written in Norwegian and won the Nobel Literature prize in 1928. The newer Nunnally translation is definitely better than the previous (Anders, I think). I first saw it on Elisabeth Elliot's list of recommended books, probably 15 years ago. It took me this long to get to it. Now I'll be rereading and rereading it.

I'm not a great reviewer, but I know that Semicolon and Mindy Withrow and countless others have reviewed this book.

Gotta go!

Edited by Luann in ID

Good to know... this is the one I've been avoiding because of its size.

Kristin Lavransdatter is set in the 1300's in Norway. It was originally written in Norwegian and won the Nobel Literature prize in 1928. The newer Nunnally translation is definitely better than the previous (Anders, I think).
Anyone want to weigh in on the one volume Nunnally edition vs three volumes? If the all-in-one is terribly floppy or unwieldy, I'd prefer three volumes.

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater-werewolf YA fiction,the lady can write

Heavy Sand by Rybakov-unbelievably good covering the history of a Jewish family -oop but worth seeking.

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon-also wrote Shadow of the Wind if you want a literate adult love story he is your new writer on the block.

The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro-vampire /bioweapon great stuff for the beach-I am in Iowa so great for reading in fields of green beans.

Bitten and Dimestore Magic by Kelley Armstrong-paranormal but not insipid

The Things They Carried by Tim O Brien-Vietnam veteran , vignettes from several characters really depressing but well written.

Children of the Arbat by Rybakov-left me breathless, artists, writers, gulags...

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy -I miss him still.

Langston Hughes Collected Poems

Black Like Me by John Griffin-for dd school year prereading for discussion purposes. I am not sure how I feel about this book yet.

The Things They Carried by Tim O Brien-Vietnam veteran , vignettes from several characters really depressing but well written.

I had to read this book in high school and it remains one of the few books that made a true, memorable impression on me. I highly recommend it.

What I've been reading:

The Unlikely Disciple, which was funny, fairly well-written, and respectful.

Acceptance, interesting but not as good I thought it might be.

Whipping Girl; this is written by a trans woman and has some truly wonderful insights about femininity and how it is looked down upon by society as a whole. I really enjoyed this book but it is probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Currently:

My Life in France by Julia Child

Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein

Finished last month:

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

And I plan on rereading The Confederacy of the Dunces (one of my all time favorites) on an upcoming trip.

My mom recently recommended "People of the Book" and I really enjoyed it. :) It reminded me of A.S. Byatt's "Possession" with its two narrative threads.

I'm into historical fiction so I have read:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (quick read, lovely book)

The Other Boleyn Girl (like it a lot)

right now: People of the Book (just started, seems great)

next: The Blood of Flowers (abt 17th century Iran)

and next: Christ the Lord:Out of Egypt (by Anne Rice about the boyhood of Jesus)

or: Outlander - by Gabaldon (heard phenomenal things about this one)

or: The Killing Way (a Merlin murder mystery)

What kind of books do you like?

Have Read:

Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius

Home Education, vol. 1 by Charlotte Mason

Homeschooling by the Millmans

Charlotte's Web with my daughter

Started Reading:

A Philosophy of Education, vol. 6 by Charlotte Mason

Listening to Anne of Green Gables with my kids while we run errands

On my list:

A biography about Cicero

The Brothers Karamazov--my husband is reading it and says it is excellent

The History of the Ancient World by SWB--my husband read it and really enjoyed it

I am reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. It's a historical fiction book about a remote tribe of Chinese women and their secret writings and friendships. It's been interesting so far, to read about the foot binding they used to do to have small (like the length of your thumb), and what they considered perfect, feet.

I'm also reading Enchanted Hunters: The Power of Stories in Childhood by Maria Tatar. Just started this one, so no opinion as of yet.

For fiction, I'm reading the second in a series by Lisa T. Bergren - it is called The Betrayed. It is excellent - I highly recommend it. I'm also reading Wild Things - subtitled Nurturing Boys (I think) - by Stephen James; Homeschooling High School by Jeanne Dennis; and Homeschooling Through the Teen Years by Cafi Cohen, and How To Read a Book (Adler). The kids and I are reading The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis. For pure fun, I have the current edition of Yankee Magazine. :) Hoping to have much reading time on vacation soon!

I have read quite a few good ones so far this summer.

Lovely Bones--Alice Sebold

Beautfiul Boy--David Sheff

The Boy in Striped Pajamas--John Boyne

Jane Austin Ruined My Life--Beth Patillo

Welcome to the Departure Lounge--Meg Federico

The Elegance of a Hedgehog--Muriel Barbery (in the middle of it but like it so far)

Waiting in the wings: Austenland--Shannon Hale

Julie & Julia by Julie Powell. Loved the project, did not like the personality or writing style of the author. Disappointing. I hope the movie is much better.

On my list is "My Life In France' by Julia Child.

Today I finished 'Beyond Belief' by Josh Hamilton. Powerful story of a life almost lost to drugs and the healing, restorative power of Christ. Amazing story.

The one I'm not going to get to this summer is "In Praise of Slowness". A book about how our lives are too, too fast and ways to slow it down in order to savor more. LOL My oldest in getting married in our backyard in less than 20 days...our lives are full speed ahead!

The children don't let me read as much as I'd like. I usually work on a couple of books at a time, picking up what suits my mood:

History of the Ancient World by SWB - I'll be working on this one all year. I'm trying to read it in sync with the kids going through Ancient History in TOG.

No Man Knows My History by Fawn Brodie - Just finished last night

Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg

Above All Earthly Pow'rs - David Wells

The Flying Inn by G.K. Chesterton - when I need a laugh

Unfortunately I can really only read when the kids are asleep. If I try to enter the living room with a book they will all jump me. They'll let me sit at my computer, but will not let me read a book. Hmm, maybe I should hide a book behind my keyboard....

Currently:

And I plan on rereading The Confederacy of the Dunces (one of my all time favorites) on an upcoming trip.

You're ruining my platform...I've always insisted to my husband that only a man could like that book. I've never seen a book make him laugh so hard, and for me, it was like watching the Stooges.

This summer, I've finished (I tend to read fantasy literature, or historical fiction - anything Oprah wouldn't recommend, probably, lol):

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss love. love. love. Bought it after reading the library's copy.

The Mistborn trilogy by Brandson Sanderson. I can't explain how much I loved this series - borrowed them from the library and bought my own copies midway through the series. I teared up when the last book ended - mostly because I was sad to have no more of this series to read (and I am not a crier!).

The Princess Bride by William Goldman - simply because I haven't read it in a long time. I needed a good chuckle and this book will do that for me. :D

I have finished one more of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I actually wouldn't keep muddling through these, except that Brandon Sanderson is finishing Jordan's series. And, since I've decided to buy anything Sanderson writes as soon as I can get my hands on it... I need to get through this series (which actually has a fantastic storyline, I just find Jordan to be needlessly repetitive) so I can read Sanderson's (hopefully improved) WoT novel when it comes out later this year.

And, right now, I have just started re-reading the Arthurian Saga by Mary Stuart. I haven't read this series since high school, iirc.

I have American Gods by Neil Gaiman here to read - but made it to Chapter Two (I think?) with the goddess and the man - and I'm just not sure I want to read further. It is reminding me a ton of Wicked - and I enjoyed Wicked - but I'm not sure I'm up for another book so similar, if they are similar.... :001_huh: I need to read spoilers for the book to determine if I want to bother reading it, apparently. :lol: