Menu

How are you sure that your children are meeting school standards?

I went to a piano competition with my oldest (8yo 2nd grade) today. I had several parents ask me where my child went to school. I replied that we homeschooled. I then was questioned as to what kind of tests my children take to be sure they are on track. I had to say that in our state we are not required to take tests such as the ISTEP. I just got a lot of blank looks, and even some noses in the air about it. :confused: I honestly didn't know how to reply to the question!

It also made me start to wonder myself, "How am I sure my children are on grade level?" We do the appropriate curriculum for their grades, my children take spelling and reading comprehension tests, but how accurate are they? One of the mom's at the contest talked about the school her children attend and how it is an "advanced" school. Her children summarize stories in 1st grade, she said. Ugh. I always feel like I'm giving my children an exceptional education, but am I? Are you? How do we know? I felt like the cast off in high school today, although everyone was very friendly! :o

I would love to reply "I don't know and I don't care as I am not teaching to state standards" but that would cause a fight ;)

I simply just say "we test every year and I am satisfied with the results".

And as for everything else you said--repeat "I don't know and I don't care as I am not teaching to state standards" over and over. Although you may actually care, the point is you are not teaching to state standards. You are teaching to YOUR standards and as long as everything you use to test them shows them sufficiently improving, a generous "sod off" to all the others who question it. ;)

I would love to reply "I don't know and I don't care as I am not teaching to state standards" but that would cause a fight ;)

Actually, I usually do say something along those lines.

Or: "Oh, actually, we are not required to do any kind of standardized testing. The law doesn't require it. So it's just all up to me." And then I smile real big ;-)

Maybe this sounds like a snotty retort for the other moms, but you could say something like..."well, given that our student:teacher ratio is 1:1, academic excellence is readily achievable, however we are also able to build quality character and instill our family's values into our child as well". If you are still concerned as to where your child is at your could have him take one of the national norm-referenced tests like CAT, Iowa, or Peabody. Our state requires yearly testing and I find it helpful to make sure we are on track or above.

Actually, I usually do say something along those lines.

Or: "Oh, actually, we are not required to do any kind of standardized testing. The law doesn't require it. So it's just all up to me." And then I smile real big ;-)

hee hee-- this is basically me too. My idea of an "excellent education" has NOTHING to do w/ state standards or being able to pass a test.

but i'm pretty much a "Bring it ON" kinda gal :D

One time I'd really love to say, "our standards surpass the state's standards" and have that be the end of it. Unfortunately, understanding lies in common terms and all the other parent understands is "standardized testing" is the measure of their children's academic pursuits. We'll be testing next year and I'm going to view the test as a requirement to fill, not an indication of anything else. Remind me of that next year, huh? Lol

As long as my children graduate with at least the body of knowledge required for college I am happy. I say at least as a minimum, not as my ultimate goal. But for one of my children the bare minimum may prove to be his maximum.

I do not concern myself with grade by grade standards. I am in the "It's a marathon, not a sprint" camp. I have 12 years to meet the standard, I look at the long range goals, I don't worry about whether my children can test well in second grade.

I would have gone for shock value and said, "I'm actually not sure they're "on track", but we certainly hope for the best". :)

We've homeschooled in 3 different states, and two of them have required regular standardized testing for homeschoolers. Our sons always performed well above "grade level" on those tests. But you know, I already knew that without test results because I could just observe my sons beside their ps peers (in things like Sunday school and Boy Scouts) where their reading, writing and math skills and general knowledge came into play. It was easy to see that my sons were at least as well educated as those peers.

is usually something like, "We set our own standards and then work to meet or exceed them. In some areas the goals are similar to what the schools do and many times they are not. But I've found that testing is only one way, and not always the best way, to gauge what my kids have learned."

Most parents nod at that last part because they're tired of all the standardized testing required. If I add anything about not having to teach to the test but being able to broaden our learning horizons with all sorts of subjects or, on the other hand, focus more intently on a topic as we wish, the nods are usually more vigorous. LOL

If they shake their heads in disgust, I just walk away with a shuffle and limp like Igor to let them get the full effect of our weirdness.

Kidding!! I've never had anyone question me in a confused or rude manner. Yet. :)

This can become an explosive issue. I just had a parent (and public school teacher) who was appauled that I wouldn't be teaching my DD state history next year. They literally cannot wrap their brains around the idea of deviating from what the district and curriculum demands. Really, that is what 4-5 years of pursuing a state credential does to you. LOL, it indoctriates you to the NORM.

I just respond to our friends (mostly public school teachers) with..."That's the joy of homeschooling. I get to teach what we want, when my kiddos are ready."

That said, I do find some benefit in having a public school teacher for a husband. There is a small amount of satisfaction in hearing him say that our son can read better than most first graders. And I have asked my Dh to evaluate my DD's writing based on his teaching other 4th graders. Maybe that is a pride issue or maybe it is my little apron string. I don't know.

We don't do state testing at all.

If your children narrate to you in first grade, then they're summarizing stories, too......

How do we know that "the tests" accurately measure grade level?

In fact, who gets to say what "grade level" is from one school to the next and one city or state to the next?

If you want some sort of measure in addition to the tests you're already doing, you could certainly participate in some sort of yearly standardized testing. There are a number available from which to choose. But I don't really think it's absolutely necessary.....

Regena

"How am I sure my children are on grade level?" We do the appropriate curriculum for their grades, my children take spelling and reading comprehension tests, but how accurate are they?

Honestly, DS has to take a standardized test every year and it is almost never a surprise how he does. I do like the comparison of all those statistics (I'm a statistics geek... LOL) but really I know a lot more about what he can do based on what I see him do every day. And what's a lot more useful to me in terms of "is he on track" is to measure him by his curricula. If he is doing well in a curriculum that works at a particular level (or range of levels) then I consider him "working at that level". If we're using a 7th grade science book and he's doing great, keeping up with the workload and producing all that's expected of him, then he's "working at a 7th grade level." If he's struggling, then I wouldn't say that... but wherever he is comfortably producing is where I count his level.

So I guess if people ask how we know, we know because we are right there. And we know the level because (unless you were completely curriculumless... LOL) most materials are labeled with some kind of grade level(s). That said, I generally don't think it's any business of a random stranger what level DS is working at in anything, so I tend to be vague -- "doing fine", "working hard", etc. and spend more time talking about whatever interesting project we're doing, or book he's reading, or whatever, rather than levels.

I think this is a common question from parents with kids in school because it's how they get feedback on how their kids are doing - test results, report cards, and grades. Without those, they wouldn't really have anything measurable to know how their kids are doing.

We take the Stanford with our group, but really just for test taking practice, and I don't start until 3rd or 4th grade. I have never once been the least bit surprised by any of my kid's scores in any subject. It's just easier to assess when you're the one teaching every day. The same way a classroom teacher could probably predict fairly accurately which of her students will do well on standardized tests or a given homework assignment, and which won't do as well.

If you feel there are some areas to work on, then you're probably right. In areas you feel like you're making good progress in, you're probably right about that, too. Taking tests can come in handy for being able to show Dad or Grandma that yes, we are on track. I wouldn't worry about what those piano school moms think.

And when I've been asked this question, I launch into a soapbox rant about how I would never lower my standards to be comparable to that of our public schools, and that most parents who go that route are supplementing their child's education with reading, music, etc., because everyone who cares about their child's education knows that the public schools *in our city* are beyond pathetic. Then they feel the need to tell me all the ways they're ensuring their kids get a decent education, despite the fact that they're in failing schools every day. Kinda changes the tone of the conversation, lol.

I'm ready and waiting for my negative rep. Bring it on, baby!

Also, KIN, summarizing stories sounds like narration to me. :)

I had one dd who didn't miss one single question on the Stanford 3rd grade reading comprehension. We had never done anything besides read aloud (a lot), and narration. Not one book report or written summary, no comprehension questions, nothing. We just read and talked about the books as we were reading them. ;)

I can look at their friends & cousins to see that mine are doing fine. ;) I agree with the other posters who said that we see what levels our kids are at just by being with them all the time. I hate the whole grade-level system, because my kids are on different "grades" in different subjects.

When asked by someone with a real interest (like retired teacher MIL), I might get into the discussion and point out that the tests don't actually help the outschooled kids learn, or tell us how to get the outschooled kids to learn, etc.. With someone who is just being nosy or mean, I usually don't spend that time. My exact response depends on my mood, but usually they don't follow up past the first answer. :rolleyes:

I think this is a common question from parents with kids in school because it's how they get feedback on how their kids are doing - test results, report cards, and grades. Without those, they wouldn't really have anything measurable to know how their kids are doing.

I agree, and I think it's a common question in another way because sometimes people just want to continue the conversation with you and can't think of anything else to ask you. So they ask you really oddball questions that make sense to *them* because they can't imagine being in your shoes, but are actually interested in how you evaluate home school work.

Sometimes it's just curiosity. Like it would be if I'd never met someone whose kids were in a Montessori school, for example. I might ask about grades, standardized testing, benchmarks and how they differ from traditional schools, how well in general the children are prepared for high school, etc. And, having a good but ignorant attitude toward Montessori families, I would assume that of course they were evaluated, but could they tell me what was unique about it. And that of course they were well prepared for high school (otherwise why would an obviously intelligent mom pick this route?), but I'd love to know how specifically they were adapted in their different way.

For example, my dd's adviser is also her English teacher, and her English class is intertwined with her history class -- in fact, they are one class that along with some art and music study comprise one whole class called Foundations. Anyway, she knows we schooled at home last year, and she asked me how I evaluated A's work in literature if we didn't regularly test her. Lots of discussion, I said, the oral and written crafting of theses and supports, learning about logic, formal and informal study of literary elements, evaluating according to genre and historical setting/mores, and writing. She nodded, satisfied with the answer. She wasn't criticizing the fact that we *didn't* do formal testing -- it's quite obvious that this wasn't remotely a disadvantage to her when she entered a more formal classroom situation. She merely wanted to know what we *did* do.

I really wasn't asked this particular question much. People who knew our sons at all realized they were well educated. But I was quite often asked, "But how will they get into college?" I could completely understand their curiosity and concern about that.

I haven't read the other responses, and other Massachusetts residents may already have chimed in, but our state places homeschoolers under the supervision of the local school district. Our educational plans must be approved and we must show that our children are making reasonable progress as evidenced by standardized test scores, a progress report, work samples, or some combination of these. It is the responsibility of the superintendent to verify that homeschoolers in his or her district are meeting the state's standards, or at least making steady progress according to their abilities.

Even if that were not the case, there are plenty of typical "scope and sequence" charts available to help parents figure out what is normally taught in the various grades of American schools. E. D. Hirsch's "What Your ... Grader Needs to Know" books are another excellent resource.

That said, I am not interested in holding my child to "school standards." One of the main reasons we homeschool is because I believe those standards to be shamefully low, and most certainly below what my child is capable of. So my questions to those parents would be, "How do you know that the school standards are reasonable ones? How much do you know about the educational philosophy of your child's school (if it even has one) and the process by which its standards were established? Who exactly established those standards? What is your philosophy of gifted education?" And so on.

I don't usually go into educational attack mode with random strangers, but I do find that a well-aimed Socratic question or two is often enough to get people to realize that if they thought a bit, they wouldn't need to ask such silly questions. ;)

My standards are higher than the state's.

Besides, *I* am the authority. The schools are accountable to the parents who send their children there - not the other way around. Too many people are confused about who is accountable to whom.

I mean, gosh, I just couldn't find the state standards for elementary Latin, Greek, classical studies, studying Euclid, or the progymnasmata. Darn.

I agree, and I think it's a common question in another way because sometimes people just want to continue the conversation with you and can't think of anything else to ask you. So they ask you really oddball questions that make sense to *them* because they can't imagine being in your shoes, but are actually interested in how you evaluate home school work.

Yup.

Like when I was in a workshop a couple weeks ago where every single other person there was a PS teacher, and one of them asked me what I had to do to keep up my homeschooling credentials. <giggle> I figured she meant "whatever it is you have to do... how does that go?" so I just said we had to do a standardized test every year and submit records as requested. And that seemed to be what she wanted to know. :)

This can become an explosive issue. I just had a parent (and public school teacher) who was appauled that I wouldn't be teaching my DD state history next year.

Oh, I KWYM! I got audible gasps from two teachers when I said I thought I would hold off on the state history until my two older dds were ready to learn it together.

One actually exclaimed "But what about the public school schedule!"

I might have looked back at her like she had two heads. I was sure thinking... What? Why does that matter?

I can't stand those questions! I don't mind them when they come from someone who is genuinely curious or is thinking about homeschooling, but at the grocery store?? Why do people feel the need to ask you personal questions that may even be rude? I don't stop people and ask them why they are smoking or why are they supersizing their meals! (Not that homeschooling is bad for your health, but you get what I mean...) I don't ask them what school they send their kids to and what their grades are like! I don't ask them if they have any idea what their child learned in school today!

Wouldn't you just love to turn the table around and shine the light on their life decisions????

I think the smile and wave response is best. In Michigan there is no testing required. That is all I have to say. In the states that do require testing, then there should be no questions, because otherwise they are insinuating that you are breaking the law.

I did not test my children until they were in 5th grade. I didn't see the need for it before that. They've been tested twice.

I do not do any test prep with them beyond telling them how to fill out bubbles. The purpose for the testing is so that I am assured that my kids are on track -- that compared to other students, they are at grade level and doing well. Test results will show me areas of weakness that my kids need to work on more than they have been. Of course, I already know their strengths and weaknesses -- but I like confirmation of that in case I miss something.

Test results make me feel better when I get anxious about the quality of education I am giving to my children. I am always nervous about the results, but so far, no worries.

It is important to me that my children be at least at grade level in case they have to go to a regular school.

This year, three of my kids went to regular school even though we had originally planned to hs them at least through 8th grade, and they did great on the standardized testing given there at the beginning of the year. I figure those test results were, if nothing else, proof that homeschooling worked just fine, even with me doing it.

I think test results, by middle school age, can be important to the kids, too. Mine were worried when they went off to school that homeschool had not prepared them well. Their test results set their minds at ease.

RC

I was in error, earlier. When I looked at my reps, I saw a grey one for this post. I forgot, in my haste, that grey simply means it's rep from someone who hasn't posted enough yet to give green rep. Easy mistake to make, especially when one is popping in to post in the middle of a house full of children.

I apologize for the confusion. Of course, I did not intend to stir up unnecessary discontent or to be misleading.

They only happen every three or four years. I had previously had a panic about the responsibility of homeschooling them, and I needed some reassurance. I also felt that it was not a bad idea for the eldest to get used to testing.

We don't use the same curricula as the schools and that's obvious in the science tests. I did discover that Calvin needs a lot of practice in increasing the speed of his mental maths - I hadn't realised how slow he was.

Best wishes with whatever you decide

Laura

I really wonder why people ask these things.
They ask because they don't know and they're curious. As long as their motivation for asking is curiosity (not a snide suggestion), I don't see anything wrong with it. Asking homeschoolers about homeschooling is how non-homeschoolers learn about it.

At the very least they really just don't know anything about homeschooling, or they wouldn't ask such questions!

Even homeschoolers worry about this -- just as KIN mentions in her OP.

That said, I am not interested in holding my child to "school standards." One of the main reasons we homeschool is because I believe those standards to be shamefully low, and most certainly below what my child is capable of. So my questions to those parents would be, "How do you know that the school standards are reasonable ones? How much do you know about the educational philosophy of your child's school (if it even has one) and the process by which its standards were established? Who exactly established those standards? What is your philosophy of gifted education?" And so on.

Absolutely!

I don't usually go into educational attack mode with random strangers, but I do find that a well-aimed Socratic question or two is often enough to get people to realize that if they thought a bit, they wouldn't need to ask such silly questions. ;)

This is a good idea. Since I realize that most people are asking because they don't know what else to ask, I usually just answer. I used to get uptight about the infamous socialization question, too, until my non-homeschooling sister pointed out that most people are just curious. I just have to make sure that I don't ask a well-aimed Socratic question right after one of my kids has had attitude problems, though, or I might end up asking it in my disciplinarian question voice and that would hardly lend to productive conversation;)

Yeah, and there are roughly 180 school districts in Mass, one for each town or city. Sometimes the superintendents try to get away with more than they are legally allowed to do. We have a couple of large homeschooling associations here, and one of them has information for superintendents on its site. I sent that to our superintendent. The law governing homeschooling is all case law. That works for me.

In my town, there is no supervision, so far. In 8 years, I haven't had to submit test scores, portfolios, nothing. We are getting a new superintendent soon, so that may all change. I expect some problems to arise since I am homeschooling high school next year and the school psychologist keeps trying to convince me to send the kids to school.

I send in a letter (the same one every year, with the date changed), a list of courses to be taught, a list of books we will use (with an "including, but not limited to" disclaimer), and that's it. In return, the town does absolutely nothing except send me a letter saying I can homeschool this year.

I did mention to the superintendent once, when she first came on the job, that if we couldn't settle our differences, that was okay, because the courts could do it. I meant that.

I haven't read the other responses, and other Massachusetts residents may already have chimed in, but our state places homeschoolers under the supervision of the local school district. Our educational plans must be approved and we must show that our children are making reasonable progress as evidenced by standardized test scores, a progress report, work samples, or some combination of these. It is the responsibility of the superintendent to verify that homeschoolers in his or her district are meeting the state's standards, or at least making steady progress according to their abilities.

Fear not. Your kids think for themselves? Reason? ENJOY learning? Will continue with a love of learning and the ABILITY to research throughout THE REST OF THEIR LIVES? There is no test for that.

And I'm sorry - but half the adults who passed public school/state "standards" can't write or spell correctly - there, their, they're- to, too, two.......which kills me.

So what if my kid was a late reader - she can spell! She thinks for herself. She enjoys learnng - most of the time ;-) and when she's 20 we can "compare" her to the other 20 year olds and see where we're at.

I remember someone freaking out that my dd's S were backwards all the time (she was 7 - slight dyslexic issues), and I said, "Well, chances are she will not still be writing them this way at 20."

Seriously - parents who trust the state are a little misinformed.

Yup. My kids each work to their own potential. We don't force them to fit into unrealistically low or high expectations of other parents or the public schools. We cover things *completely* differently than the public schools, so there is no comparison.

FWIW, we do standardized tests each year and my kids score very well.

It seems we have more than one real question pending.

Regarding my homeschoooling family and "testing", I don't test by the standards culturally embraced. I am, however, subject to having my kids tested should their Dad insist per the divorce decree.

I don't personally across the board agree with "testing" and I think what testing measures is a tool of limited usefullness. My additional students, both of whom have been in public school, are always amazed when I give an assignment/test and they can "use the book." They still don't get that I want them to know and learn the information; not evaluate them with a test. I'd rather they look it up than get it wrong.

When people ask me about testing, usually they mean:

"How can you tell if your kids are doing ok?"

and sometimes more specifically:

"How can you tell if your child is on grade level".

I answer intuitively for the situation. Some people I know not to bother to "go there". Some really aren't being intrusive or critical but are genuinely curious.

Answers I've used include:

"I test for knowledge, understanding and mastery using the tools of the curriculum I've chosen"

"The testing you are talking about (here, it's TAKS) is for evaluating instititutional effectiveness rather than individual student progress. That's not an issue in my setting."

"My homeschool runs in such a way that feedback is constant."

"I've come to see "grade level" as a somewhat arbitrary designation. It might be needed in a building school setting but it's not in mine."

My standards are higher than the state's.

Besides, *I* am the authority.

I don't look to the public school system for a yardstick unless I need something that'll measure just three feet, kwim?

The schools are accountable to the parents who send their children there - not the other way around. Too many people are confused about who is accountable to whom.

And this part is the response I use when asked about testing or accountability. I've found that a clear reminder that the schools are accountable to the parents, said with a big smile that conveys, "Remember, YOU are the boss... THEY answer to YOU... are YOU happy with the education YOUR children are receiving?" seems to put the ball back in their court. Nobody has ever become belligerent toward me when I put the discussion in that context. Actually, I get nods, thoughtful pauses, and then the conversation turns quickly from a potential interrogation of "those homeschooling wackos" to something meatier, such as "who's in charge, here, anyway?" or "what DO we expect from an education?"

I enjoy those discussions quite a bit. :)

How am I sure that my children are meeting school standards? Do people know that the standards in one state is different from the standards in another state?

A child could live in Virginia and move to Iowa and discover he never learned certain subjects. Therefore, that child would be behind in that state.

Standardized tests and state standards are pieces in the "assemblyline school." Teach children and then test them. Some children that are above the line go here. Some children that are below the line go here. The children on the line go there. Isn't that special?

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I usually say right up front that we are not required to follow the public school standards. Then I explain that it's quite easy to see the progress kids are making when you're sitting right next to them and checking their work daily.

If they still seem either interested or skeptical after that, I explain that my kids are evaluated every year by a certified teacher and that we do standardized testing in addition every couple of years, just for my own use. I usually can't resist at that point assuring them that my kids always do "more than fine."

--Jenny

that what I am doing with my children is an apples-to-oranges comparison with public schools, so standardized testing was not appropriate. (This is not quite as true now that ds #1 is completing a more traditional subject-oriented highschool path, but it was very true in earlier years.) That could, I suppose lead to further interested questions, but the couple of time I used it, it did not. :)

V

Great reply.

I'm not worried about my children meeting school standards which is why I don't send them to public school.

Fear not. Your kids think for themselves? Reason? ENJOY learning? Will continue with a love of learning and the ABILITY to research throughout THE REST OF THEIR LIVES? There is no test for that.

And I'm sorry - but half the adults who passed public school/state "standards" can't write or spell correctly - there, their, they're- to, too, two.......which kills me.

So what if my kid was a late reader - she can spell! She thinks for herself. She enjoys learnng - most of the time ;-) and when she's 20 we can "compare" her to the other 20 year olds and see where we're at.

I remember someone freaking out that my dd's S were backwards all the time (she was 7 - slight dyslexic issues), and I said, "Well, chances are she will not still be writing them this way at 20."

Seriously - parents who trust the state are a little misinformed.

I usually say something like, "State tests? Oh, those are there to measure schools, not kids. Homeschooling is so great because we don't have to waste weeks or months learning to bubble and regurgitate. Skills-wise, I know where my kids are by looking at grade on the front of the workbook. As for content, we can go deeper and wider because we aren't wasting so much time on test-taking skills. It's pure learning all year; I feel so fortunate!" By that time, the mom in question is shrugging her shoulders and nodding in deep thought. They've all been frustrated at one time or another by the teach-to-the-test mentality. Now she's on my side and secretly wondering where we buy our curriculum ;)

Barb

We began homeschooling our nearly 18 year old son when he began the fourth grade. I married his Dad when he was in the third grade. Throughout those months, I helped him at night and realized he had been seriously slipping through the cracks. I saw his workbooks -- the ones he was supposed to have been doing when he lived with his mom -- and they were incomplete -- full of red marks. I remember he had to complete a reading comprehension exercise which included multiple choice questions at the end of the selection. When I checked his work (which he was obviously not used to a parent doing), none of his answers made any sense. I asked him about this, and with a little prodding he admitted he had not read any of the reading assignment, rather, he just chose answers to get done with the assignment.

I also remember a social studies test he had regarding the Virginia government. Why a third grader needs that sort of info is beyond me, but anyway. Most of the class failed the test, so the teacher sent home a corrected test and told them to memorize the answers, and they would then be retested. Wow -- what a learning experience. Needless to say, that was a big waste of time.

I have many, many more stories to tell of his academic experiences at the local public school, but the kicker is this -- HE WAS ON THE HONOR ROLL! He actually thought he was doing a great job!

When I began homeschooling him, there was accountability, I gave no grades until high school, and all work had to be corrected and resubmitted to me. I did not file any paper away until the work was correct. I would require him to try to figure out his own errors, and if he really was struggling and feeling hopeless, I would intervene and help guide him. I saw no point in putting a bunch of red marks all over the page and moving on.

I know for a fact that if he had stayed on his current path, he would have gone farther and farther down hill. He has thanked me many times for what I have done. He always says he cannot imagine where he would be today if we had not homeschooled him. He was also quite the class clown, his mom had him on Ritalin, and the teacher was always telling us how ADHD he was.

Now that I am teaching my 6 and 8 year old boys, I see how their views on "school" are so very different, how eager they are to learn, and how I can see the moment they begin "not getting" something. I would not trade these years for anything in the world.

I know my children are excelling because I am there to see it happen. When you are not there to witness it, how do you know if you can trust those grades on the report card?

I have a good friend whose daughter is in the fifth grade in a very presitigious private school. They sound wonderful over there. They really care. She is the youngest fifth grader in her class, and she is failing. My friend is considering homeschooling for one year to get her back on track, but she has no idea at what point she fell off the track. She admits that it could have been slowly happening over the last few years.

I love being able to see for myself. Our state also has SOL objectives which I use as a guide for math and language arts. I also administer the IOWA annually for homeschool compliance. Even these tests are never a revelation for me -- they confirm what I already know to be true about my children.