Menu

When will you be starting your new school year?

Audrey

When will you start your new school year?  

1. 1. When will you start your new school year?

• Week of August 3
    • Week of August 10
    • Week of August 17
    • Week of August 24
    • Week of August 31
    • Week of September 7
    • Week of September 14
    • Some other date (feel free to elaborate)
    • We school year-round
    • Obligatory other (feel free to elaborate)

Just wondering when everyone is starting back to school. Do you go by the public school calendar, school by the seasons, school year-round, something else entirely?

We'll be starting most LA & math this week. Then I'll add a couple more subjects per week starting next week (week of the 10th) until we've got our full load going no later than 1st week of Sept. I thought it might be easier on the boys to ease into school, since we've been on break from everything but reading for a month.

I'm still deciding what I go by. Part of me wants to stick to a traditional schoolyear w/ the summer off, but I'm toying w/ the idea of a 4-day week year round w/ breaks for holidays & maybe a 1 - 3 week break now and then. I've got this year planned for 36 - 38 wks w/ Fridays being a "light" day, and if we actually accomplish that, I'll still have my boys do something during the summertime so they don't forget everything. I'm not going to stress if we get a couple weeks behind during the year since I'm ok w/ summer schooling though.

That's not much of a definite answer, is it? :D

Normally I wait until after Labor Day. But this year it's so late, and we did a fair amount of School Ultra Lite last year due to the kitchen remodel. So 8/24 it is. I wouldn't do it much earlier than that, though because my kids birthdays are 8/13 and 8/14, so I like to have time to get both parties in and let them enjoy their gifts before we start lessons.

ETA: We take the same days off as our PS, because we have so many PS friends in the neighborhood. It works a lot better that way.

My boys have already started! We'll begin Week 3 on Monday.

My oldest daughter returns to the community college on August 25th.

My 7yo doesn't return to public school until September 8th.

They'll all finish at different times, too! My boys will be finished by the middle to the end of April...my daughter finishes her college classes the 2nd week of May...and my youngest doesn't get out of school until mid-June.

We are starting Sept. 1st. I'd prefer to start a couple of weeks earlier, but my parents are coming to visit the last week of August.

We had been doing light school, but I was so burnt out that we've taken several weeks totally off. I don't want to start the new year exhausted!

Gayle

We start when our local school does, which is a year round school. We generally finish when they do and do fun learning in the summer. They have shorter summer breaks than most schools too. This past year we finished 2 weeks before them, because they had a ton of snow days.. We don't line up our breaks w/them or anything though. It is just nice to start back when they neighbor girl is. It just seems natural.

All of that to say, we start on MONDAY! I am not ready.

I think we'll start around the 10th. We have schooled year round in the past, but took most of this summer off. It's been really nice! Assuming I get the rest of my planning done next week, we'll be ready to go on the 10th. I think we'll start getting into a routine the first week with LA/Latin/Math, then add the rest of the content subjects the week after that. I'm hopeful to be in a solid routine by the time co-op starts after Labor Day!

I was originally planning to start the week of August 31st, but we will be away the weekend before and I want to take that last week to prepare before we dive in. So we'll start the week of Sept 7. This is our first year homeschooling! We plan to school year-round, with Dec-Jan, another week or two here and there, and August off.

I voted we school year round. Technically, we begin on July 1st and end on June 30th of the the next year. This year we took June off, so last year ended on May 31 and we started this year on July 1. We already have 28 or 29 days of school in for this year.

I put the week of Sep 7th but I don't even want to start then...I feel like October... We will start by the first week of Sep but I just finished up having a super busy July and we are having a FANTASTIC summer in the NW (okay 106+ temp is not that great) so I want to totally relax now.

Anyone else here remember when school started back in September? :confused:

Yes! I've wondered about this too - it seems to begin earlier and earlier every year, and now it runs into June in alot of places. It used to be Sept. - May. I have a theory about this, much along the lines of Gatto's. :)

Yes! I've wondered about this too - it seems to begin earlier and earlier every year, and now it runs into June in alot of places. It used to be Sept. - May. I have a theory about this, much along the lines of Gatto's. :)

Here the ps runs from Sept-June. This year it was the last week of June because of all the snow and ice storms. The summer is July and August - I can't even fathom starting back in August!

Starting the new school year before Labor Day is against nature! :D;)

Yes, we're doing "summer school", but that in my mind doesn't count. :tongue_smilie:

(which hasn't stopped my kids complaining about it)

I like to start the first week of August, and then be done by early May to enjoy the nicer weather for outdoor activities.

This year we move into our new house the first week of September, so mid-September at the earliest for us.

We always do a light schedule through the summer anyway, but the new school year is when we open up our new curriculum and officially start the next grade.

We'll be starting back on Sep 1. We do school Tue-Fri with some review on Sat. We have 4-10wk quarters, with 2wk breaks betw 1st-3rd quarters, and 6wks vacation betw 4th quarter & the new school yr.

This summer has gone by so quickly. I couldn't believe it when the stores began moving out the gardening items and replacing them with school supplies.

We're starting August 24th. We're getting back from a trip to the family cabin early the week before and I thought that this would give us a few days at home to get back in the swing of things before we started school. I'm considering schooling year-round in the future, but this will be our first year of more formal schooling.

This will be dd's first year in public school (special ed) and she starts the 12th, so we'll "start" the new year on the 17th. We've done light school (for the 7yo at least) all summer, so it won't be a huge change. I ordered most of this year's stuff from Rainbow Resource last week, so I hope it comes in time :)

I remember when school started in September and started on a Monday. Quite a few of the schools here start on Thursday.

We are planning on starting the Wednesday after Labor Day, Sept. 9th. I like the old school year of starting after Labor Day and being done by the end of May or beginning of June. Of course, I only have a kindergartner so that may have to change as she gets older and has more work to cover. :)