Menu

Convention speakers that are worth sharing

I was thinking that it might be cool if we posted our favorite speakers from this convention season (or previous ones, for that matter). Be sure to share which convention you saw them at, that way others can purchase the cd if possible. I'll go first-

CHEA Long Beach

Andrew Pudewa- "Teaching boys and other kids who would rather make forts all day"- This was an all around GREAT seminar. It had all of the elements. I felt like I gained knowledge about the real physiological differences between boys and girls and I was given a real strategy to approach education differently.

Voddie Baucham- "Harvard or Heaven"- Voddie was great to listen to. I don't agree with all of his views, but he gave strong arguments and lots of food for thought.

Todd Wilson- "Taming the techno-gadgetry beast"- This was a super convicting seminar. If you ever feel like you spend too much time on these boards (or facebook, or yahoogroups, ect), you should really listen to this.

I think CHEA will have mp3s available at some point soon, if not already.

Voddie Baucham - hands down! He is AWESOME. He will be at our convention next year and my husband and I are nearly salivating over the fact :)

Also, Reb Bradley. He made us THINK and we changed a LOT of our parenting ways after listening to him and his wife. Just incredible people.

Doug Phillips was really good, too. He is always an excellent speaker and has so much to share.

I enjoyed hearing David Hazell speak, but he was very rude when trying to speak to him directly. My husband was all set to get MFW after hearing him speak, but then said he wouldn't buy a thing from them.

Can't think of any more right now. I'm sure there are others that were great.

Haven't been to a convention in a few years - but by far my favorite speaker is SWB. Her talks are SRO and are full of helpful ideas - no fluff!!

We've heard Voddie Baucham speak at a Desiring God conference a few years ago and I've read his blog - I agree, I would definitely go to hear him again.

I enjoyed hearing David Hazell speak, but he was very rude when trying to speak to him directly. My husband was all set to get MFW after hearing him speak, but then said he wouldn't buy a thing from them.

That is so strange. I have heard others say this, also.

Voddie Baucham - hands down! He is AWESOME. He will be at our convention next year and my husband and I are nearly salivating over the fact :)

Absolutely! I even checked his speaking schedule online for the future as he was at our hs convention and he was awesome. We had record numbers show up at his speaking events.

That is so strange. I have heard others say this, also.

Of course, I've heard *more* people say the opposite.

That's so sad that apparently David was rushed or cranky or something. Those convention folks travel all summer & it must be hard on them. But usually they are nice -- at all the booths :) I know David Hazell often spends long periods of his personal time with folks on the telephone & at convention. How do I know? I don't call people much, but he once returned my phone call & spent 2 hours on the phone with me :blush5:

He considers MFW his ministry & gave up service in Russia for it. I'd try again.

My all-time favorites EVER:

Reb and Beverly Bradley

I would travel many hours to hear them speak, and they make me not only think, but feel. I end up emotional/sniffling at almost every seminar, even the ones I've heard before. I leave with renewed purpose, and I consider the purchase of their cd's to listen to throughout the year as probably the single best purchase I've made during my homeschool years.

The quality of the cds isn't always great because they're recorded during live conference workshops, but the content hits me right where it counts!

http://www.familyministries.com/productsframes.html

(Be sure to explore each category along the left side. There's good stuff in each one.)

Other speakers I've enjoyed and thought were worthwhile have been:

SWB (great subject matter, and kept the content coming at a pace quick enough that my interest didn't wander)

Andrew Pudewa (so interesting to listen to!)

Adam Andrews (made the light bulb go in in connecting socratic methods to real-life homeschooling)

Steve Lambert (I have a tape from long, long ago, and he made me understand how and why to incorporate unit studies into our school plans)

Bill and Pam Farrel (thought they were ok--found their personality profile stuff to be "right on".)

The rest of the speakers I've heard over the years, regretfully, have not stuck in my mind. I guess I must have found them forgettable?

I really want to hear John Taylor Gatto...

Heard Voddie Baucham two weeks ago. He was good, and please don't shoot me, but he didn't say anything that I had not heard before. PLEASE NO TOMATOES!

As I tell my children when telling them something that they've heard me repeatedly say. There is a verse in the Bible that says it is good to have things repeated to you, to continually remind you. I believe it's in Timothy, it's marked in my Bible. I will have to go look it up! haha

No tomatoes, I just always think that when I hear something I've heard before. God is letting me hear it again because 1) I must need it and 2) He loves me!

As I tell my children when telling them something that they've heard me repeatedly say. There is a verse in the Bible that says it is good to have things repeated to you, to continually remind you. I believe it's in Timothy, it's marked in my Bible. I will have to go look it up! haha

No tomatoes, I just always think that when I hear something I've heard before. God is letting me hear it again because 1) I must need it and 2) He loves me!

Are you thinking of II Timothy 4:1-2 (?)

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.

I completely agree with you! Repetition is important, and more importantly, BIBLICAL! Perhaps I should have counted Mr. Baugham's keynote as encouragement rather than new instruction.

Actually, it wasn't Timothy at all...haha - I had to go and get my Bible out and look it up! It was Philippians 3:1:

Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. For me to write the same things to you is not tedious, but for you it is safe.

I always tell my children that when I must repeat something to them, it's because they must need to hear it. It's for their safety - there is a reason they are hearing it to keep them from a wrong.

Even though we KNOW it, sometimes it's not repetitious or tedious as Paul states, but it's for our own good or safety.

That's how I choose to look at it anyway.

The Scripture you quoted was an awesome example, though :)

Are you thinking of II Timothy 4:1-2 (?)

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.

I completely agree with you! Repetition is important, and more importantly, BIBLICAL! Perhaps I should have counted Mr. Baugham's keynote as encouragement rather than new instruction.

The best that I have been blessed to hear/meet...

JW & SWB in Atlanta

Ken Ham in B'ham

Michael Farris in B'ham

&

Bob & Tina Farewell this year in B'ham

I have listened to others... but these are the "cream of the crop"... I just wish I was 1/2 as smart as they are!!! Great lectures & mucho inspiration!

Been a while since I have heard many speakers.

Zan Tyler was interesting. Not necessarily life altering, but a good reminder that homeschooling freedoms have only been pretty assured for about a generation.

Rea Berg from Beautiful Feet Books was a lovely person to talk books with. We had a long, have you read this one conversation after her session.

I went to a couple Christian conferences that Douglas Wilson spoke at many years ago. I found him to be challenging, sharp and very funny. I don't agree with everything he's written over the years, but I do appreciate the way that he makes me think through what I belive and am doing.

I've only heard Jesse Wise and Susan Wise Bauer on audio, but they were really great.

This thread makes me want to download a bunch of conference audio and have my own mini conference.

Dr Perrin from Classical Academic Press isn't the most dynamic speaker in the world and can be kind of mumbly. However, his information is so good and I really enjoy going to his talks. I bought them all at Cinci this year and have listened to them several times since.

The best that I have been blessed to hear/meet...

JW & SWB in Atlanta

Ken Ham in B'ham

Michael Farris in B'ham

&

Bob & Tina Farewell this year in B'ham

I have listened to others... but these are the "cream of the crop"... I just wish I was 1/2 as smart as they are!!! Great lectures & mucho inspiration!

OOOh....I forgot about Bob and Tina Farewell...they were awesome!

Yep! We love Kevin Swanson too.

We heard him at Gary DeMar's Worldview conference last week and he was terrific.

I forgot DeMar. He is great for government & politics. I use a set of history books of which he authored to supplement SOTW and This Country of Ours (my history books).

Ken Ham and Doug Phillips were awesome!

I have never heard Doug Phillips speak but have used his organization for books & Christmas gifts! He brings up great points about bringing the family back together and how the world divides us into "age groups" (so does the church).

I posted Ham also. He is passionate & very informed. He can answer the simpliest questions with great respect but the most complex with great insight.

I could not take notes from Ham & SWB fast enough! They are the best.

Another man that people really liked here (but mostly for older students) is Jeff Myers. We learned some things from him but he deals with leadership, etc... and it is great for teens.

Several I've heard via CD or MP3 and routinely revisit for motivation and encouragement--

Andrew Pudewa

Andrew Kern

SWB

Doug Wilson

Nate Wilson

Ken Myers

Emily Fischer

James Daniels

Martin Cothran

Vigen Guroian

John Hodges

http://wordmp3.com/ is a great resource for speakers from the Veritas and ACCS conferences and http://circeinstitute.com/ carries CDs from their past conferences.

Todd Wilson, Todd Wilson, Todd Wilson. Oh, and did I mention Todd Wilson? He came last year and I took my husband. It was the BEST convention I've ever been to. We laughed, I cried, he is the only Christian speaker I've ever seen that has made me feel like we are OK, we're doing a good job, and I don't need to wear a denim jumper to be a good Christian Mom:D

If nothing else, buy his book, "Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe"

Blessings!

Dorinda

Andrew Pudewa - The Profound Influence of Music on Life.

Um.....WOW. If you aren't sure if music lessons are worth the cost, Mr. Pudewa will convince you otherwise. This was a very informative, fascinating lecture.

:iagree:Heard this one last year and it was incredible what he shared! I've changed in a lot ways since last year due to that particular session. The study with the three plants blew me away! He is an excellent speaker that shows overwhelming evidence to pursue academic excellence in all ways. He's easy and enjoyable to listen to as well. He's not secular and I think that is important because "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." The two are not seperate.

Other speakers that I remember and that made an impact on me:

Mark Hamby (Lamplighters)

Norm Wakefield (Spirit of Elijah)

Renee Ellison

I'll hear Voddie in a couple of weeks and am super excited!!!!! Sally Clarkson will also be speaking at my conference and I'm super excited about hearing her as well!!!

• 1 year later...

One that sticks with me from over a year ago is Karyn Henley. She spoke about the path of faith and development in our children. Then she began talking about how to solidify that faith - make it their own. It was at Arlington, TX, May 2009. She has podcasts on her website too. Definitely worth a real listen.

Then last weekend in Houston we heard Norm Wakefield. Indescribable. Listen for yourself:

http://www.rhino-technologies.com/ will sell them to you, but before you buy, do a podcast search. You can buy an entire series (12 messages) from Norm Wakefield for $15 and here's a sample of the free outlines. http://www.spiritofelijah.com/resources/equippingmen/pdf_outlines/ Even though this one is called Equipping Men they say it is very good for couples and groups to do together.

Guest ME-Mommy

I haven't been to a real convention in a few years, but I got to attend the Schoolhouse EXPO online.

I really enjoyed:

Sue Patrick

Carol Barnier

Todd Wilson (he is HYSTERICAL!!)

Andrew Pudewa - The Profound Influence of Music on Life.

Um.....WOW. If you aren't sure if music lessons are worth the cost, Mr. Pudewa will convince you otherwise. This was a very informative, fascinating lecture.

YES! He is an excellent speaker. I loved his workshop on the effects of music on the brain. Every time I hear some young upstart blaring the bass on his car stereo, I think to myself, "That's it, darling. Keep killing off those brain cells!" :lol:

I've also enjoyed Todd Wilson, Ken Ham, and Jessie Wise. I've not heard SWB.

Can't think of any more right now. I'm sure there are others that were great.

I want to come back to this, but right now, I'm off to cuddle with dh:001_smile:. TMI...sorry, lol!

I just listened to an hour blurb from last year's CIRCE conference. A Contemplation of Nature I think. I have heard it 4 times now.

Life altering. Andrew Kern was amazing. I wish I could afford the $$$$$ to purchase the entire conference. [sigh]

However, it is rich and filling and doesn't seem to go bad. :D

Also, Reb Bradley. He made us THINK and we changed a LOT of our parenting ways after listening to him and his wife. Just incredible people.

Doug Phillips was really good, too. He is always an excellent speaker and has so much to share.

These are some of my favorites, too.

A 3rd big vote for Voddie Baucham!

Adam Andrews "Teaching the Classics" was really good.

Carol Barnier is very funny and has great tips for teaching a "wiggly willy" & ADHD kids.

I loved Adam Andrews presentation using A Bargain For Frances to analyze literature.

I also thought Ken Ham, Gregg Harris and Rick and Marilyn Boyer were excellent speakers.

For those of you in Virginia - if you ever get a chance to hear Shelley Hendry of His Image Ministries talk, be sure to go!!! I especially love her one-woman presentation of Corrie ten Boom - just beautiful. She always points mamas back to Christ - such an encouragement.

Conference: Southeast Homeschool Expo

*Dr. Carol Reynolds - Excellent speaker with high energy. She talked about the advantages and disadvantages homeschool students have in college. (They put her is a TINY room to speak and there were people sitting on the floor and hanging out the door to hear her.)

*Randi St. Denis - Excellent information on teaching gifted students. Her delivery style is a bit dry, but the information she has is outstanding.

Andrew Pudewa

Dianna Waring

Sally Clarkson

I would LOVE to hear SWB speak in person and tried to get her here for a convention but we just don't have the people #'s to support it- drat that!!

Ditto Sally Clarkson, she was in NC this year - so grace oriented, so encouraging.

Pudewa often has his talks available for download free on their website. Here are the latest offerings.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/free-downloads

I want to come back to this, but right now, I'm off to cuddle with dh:001_smile:. TMI...sorry, lol!

Ok, I back to this, lol. About David Hazel...I got the pleasure of listening to him speak twice last April at our convention here in MN. I loved what he had to say and his booth was always jam-packed with ppl. It was one of the busiest booths there (between MFW and Rainbow Resource).

Anyway, he did come across as...ummm...intimadating to me. BUT, during lunch on the last day he was sitting with-in ear shot of us. Two things impressed me. First, he received a phone call and at the beginning of it (ok, I was *kind of* ease dropping lol) he asked the person how he could pray for them. Second was, a woman came up to him while he was eating and apologised (sp?) for interupting, but she had a question. He was very friendly with her and invited her to sit with him while they spoke.

My conclusion? He has a lot on his plate at these conventions. He was right in there at his booth, helping ppl, directing employees and answering the many, many questions the public was asking. All of his "speeches" during the convention were jam packed. The last one was in an audtorium type room (really big) and it was standing room only.

I'm not making excuses, I'm just putting out there what I saw and what my opinion is;). We've done MFW since 1st grade and now we're doing ECC. Honestly? Every year I love the program(s) more and more!

Thanks for reading my long winded observation!

I found this odd as I've called the number for ordering to ask a question and HE was the one to call me back personally. I enjoyed speaking with him immensely.

I've been to a Ken Hamm seminar (not at convention) and loved it!

Edited by mommaduck