Menu

Library rant

Since we are discussing Library Rants....:glare:

I really get frustrated when I see that a book I requested has arrived at the library and I go in and it is not on the shelf and I ask at the desk and they say that they cannot find it in the back. I mean, it was scanned, so it is there somewhere!!! And after them looking for 20 minutes I go home and 30 minutes later I get a notice that they found it and it is ready for pick up.

(boy look and that run on sentence..:tongue_smilie:)

I return books to multiple libraries in our system. It's their responsibility to get them back to the original library. Last year, I was charged for 3 missing books that I swore I returned. I protested, they did a shelf check, then finally they credited me for the books.

If you think there might be a possibility that you didn't return it, ask if you can buy a new one for the library. It might be cheaper.

My library will put a 'search' out on the book, meaning I'm no longer responsible (if they believe me, which they usually do). Does yours have any kind of system like that? It wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Although I'm finding the library is just not that convenient anymore. It takes over a week to get books after putting them on hold, and that throws me off for school. Juggling too many books out at one time, which week they were needed, etc. almost drove me crazy last year.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to buy books I would have previously used the library for, just to eliminate the hassle factor.

I got a letter today that I owe $26 for this missing/over due book. Are they kidding? The thing is I am pretty sure we returned it! Grrrrr

Unbelievable.

I always return my books in person and make sure they are scanned off my account.

Otherwise, they miss one or two here and there.

I NEVER had this problem as a kid when the librarians manually checked the book back into the system.

Remember those cards that actually went into the book reminding you when it was due.

I miss the good old days. I do not deal well with technological advancement.

Ultimately the library's responsibility, yes. But "not cool" for the customer routinely to return materials to the wrong branch. (Please understand -- Librarian speaking !)

I return books to multiple libraries in our system. It's their responsibility to get them back to the original library. Last year, I was charged for 3 missing books that I swore I returned. I protested, they did a shelf check, then finally they credited me for the books.

If you think there might be a possibility that you didn't return it, ask if you can buy a new one for the library. It might be cheaper.

Unbelievable.

I always return my books in person and make sure they are scanned off my account.

Otherwise, they miss one or two here and there.

I NEVER had this problem as a kid when the librarians manually checked the book back into the system.

Remember those cards that actually went into the book reminding you when it was due.

I miss the good old days. I do not deal well with technological advancement.

Trust me when I say that this is not a universal experience. :glare:

Our library just went to a computerized system, and I've found more than one "unreturned" book sitting on the library shelves in the last five years.

This does not match any library policy I have encountered. The cap for a library fine is the cost to replace the book. Is the "missing" book a bound paperback? Or was it a hardback? (If it was, then paperback price doesn't apply.) I would locate information on the current retail price for the exact same edition which was lost and use that as documentation for the cap on your fine.

That is, of course, if the book truly is missing !

We growled just as loudly when we were fined for a missing copy of The Little Engine that Could. Two years later, we sheepishly unpacked the library book following a cross-country move. :tongue_smilie:

I got a letter today that I owe $26 for this missing/over due book. Are they kidding? The thing is I am pretty sure we returned it! Grrrrr

My library will put a 'search' out on the book, meaning I'm no longer responsible (if they believe me, which they usually do). Does yours have any kind of system like that? It wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Although I'm finding the library is just not that convenient anymore. It takes over a week to get books after putting them on hold, and that throws me off for school. Juggling too many books out at one time, which week they were needed, etc. almost drove me crazy last year.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to buy books I would have previously used the library for, just to eliminate the hassle factor.

Oh yes. I have been doing this for the last eight years. And we have the full bookshelves to prove it. :D

One of the best things that ever happened to us was a library foul-up.

My wife had returned a load of books and videos. All of which were not scanned in. Some they found on the shelves, and some they did not.

So one day I drove around to several local branches (many of the books were on inter-branch loan) and found them all.

When I brought them in, rather than being angry about it (which is what they were expecting) I said: "No big deal. Mistakes happen, and we really appreciate having the library here and all the trouble people go to helping us with our voluminous book ordering".

Well let me tell you I earned a friend for life!

When I needed to renew Black Ships Before Troy for the forth time? Done!

When I goofed up and a DVD I was convinced I'd returned showed up under the front seat of my car (and had accrued massive fines)? We can't have that! ;)

I wasn't nice to them to get something out of the deal. I truly do appreciate how hard our library staff works (and how much our little family adds to the load) but you never know where a little unexpected kindness will lead.

Bill

:iagree: We have had this happen to us, but we have never taken it out on the Librarians. We also know, from experience, that they have teen volunteers on some days. We just tell them that we returned it and will walk over with them to the shelf.

We return inside now, just to save everyone the extra hassle.

But they have always been so nice and helpful. Of course it helped that we have been patient in return (even as we are ranting on the inside) and that our daughter volunteered there last year.

It may depend on the library system. Our system is set up that you can bring your books to any of the 3 branches and they have regular deliveries to the different branches. I ONLY pick up our books at one branch. If they don't have a copy of what I want, I place holds to have it at my branch. It is expected that people will return books to the closest branch. There is no way I would drive to 3 different locations to return books when it is the same system. That is why they have multiple branches.

It may depend on the library system. Our system is set up that you can bring your books to any of the 3 branches and they have regular deliveries to the different branches. I ONLY pick up our books at one branch. If they don't have a copy of what I want, I place holds to have it at my branch. It is expected that people will return books to the closest branch. There is no way I would drive to 3 different locations to return books when it is the same system. That is why they have multiple branches.

I don't think anyone is saying that you need to drive around and return books you've taken out from your branch (but through inter-library loan) to it's original home. Occasional return to a branch where you did not originally check out the book is fine--but there's no denying that it's more efficient for library personnel and for other library patrons if books are returned to the original check-out location.

The inter-library transportation system is usually intended to transport books loaned between libraries, though they may occasionally transport your books for return to where you checked them out for your convenience. At least, that's how it works in our library system, ymmv. :-)

Edited by Julie in CA

Ultimately the library's responsibility, yes. But "not cool" for the customer routinely to return materials to the wrong branch. (Please understand -- Librarian speaking !)

It must depend on the system. Our system doesn't care which branch books are returned to. They have a system of trucks that transports books between branches daily. Even if we were to return a book to its home branch, it might be needed to fulfill a hold at a branch on the other side of the county, so it would just go on the truck anyway.

I'm in the same library system as Chris. There are many branches and we are told that it's fine to return to any branch. Plus, often if I put a book on hold (which is much of what I'm checking out) than the book is not coming from my local branch anyway. So since it has to be transported back to the original branch at some point, it doesn't really matter what branch you return it to.

I use two different library systems. One as described above has many many branches. One is just one library in it's own system. For both, I have had them tell me a book is not returned when I'm sure it has been. I've found the librarians to be very nice. Ironically, it's the small one library system that it happens most (but that might be because I check out far more books there). Typically, I check the shelf and it's there. Or if it's not, I let them know and they do a search. Every time but once they have found it. The other time they just put a "claims returned" on my account and didn't charge me. I guess if you get too many of those they get suspicious. But even that time they did find it much much later and the "claims returned" was removed. At the other library system I've had similar experiences. It's harder to check the shelves as books move between the branches more but I usually tell them, they do a search and find it. The one time they couldn't they just believed me. They may have marked my account to make sure I don't keep doing that but I'm not sure.

I would first check your house and vehicle thoroughly. There have been several occasions when I've been sure that I returned an item only to discover one of my kids misplaced it, shoved it under a seat in the van, or shelved it in our own library.

My library has also shelved a couple of books and a video over the years without checking them back in, and they've found them on the shelf when I let them know I turned the item back in. One of the books I'm positive I returned never did show up, and after I let them know I didn't have it and agreed to double check and look for it at home again, they took it off my account. I suspect it was lost en route from my regular library to the branch where it belonged.

Can you go to the library to look for it on the shelf? I have had to do this a few times over the years when I knew I brought a book back that the library claimed was over due and found it on the shelf each time except once. I did pay for the book and kept the receipt for I was told that if at any time I do find the missing book I can return it to the library with the receipt and get my money back.

If their policy is that a patron may check out and return books at any branch in the library district, then I'm not returning items to the "wrong" branch no matter which one I return them to. I reserve a lot of items online and almost always check out and return items from the same branch; I don't even keep track of which library branch they came from.

I once was told that I owed $180 on books I never even checked out. I know for a fact I never ever checked those books out. I remember standing in line one day, and the woman in front of me was discussing her fines with the woman at the desk. She was wanting to know what the minimum payment she could make to be able to check out books. Then it was my turn. I checked out my books, and went home. The next week I received a notice. Some how the computer mixed up my name and info with this other woman's record.

It took a few months to get it straightened out. I will say that the employees at the library were rather rude to me. One woman called me a liar to my face. She said, "Well, it's in the computer." I told her that the computer made a mistake. She sneered, "Computers never make mistakes." I actually laughed at that, and told if that were true my husband would not be employed. His entire job consists of preventing and fixing computer mistakes!

I finally did get it resolved after much hassle. The charges were removed from my account, but the head honcho library man said to me, "Do me a favor. If you someday find the books buried in your garage, please return them." I decided to ignore the snide remark since he was removing the charges, but I knew that he didn't believe me.

Seems that I have annoyed several people. Did not mean to do that.

Each library system will have its own policies. Some few systems do have transport systems, and some are more rigid than others about preferring items to be returned to the "location of check out".

I think I was reacting negatively to a perceived (misperceived?) tone of thinking that the libraries bear all responsibilities, and that attempts to lessen the burden on [understaffed, usually underpaid] libraries by a smidgen of easy client effort were unnecessary.

Peace now ?

almost always check out and return items from the same branch; I don't even keep track of which library branch they came from.

I think this is the point. There may be a misunderstanding about what different posters here are talking about. Returning books to the branch where you checked them out--good. Returning a whole stack of books to a library where you didn't check them out (regardless of where your library procured them for you)--not quite as good. Even if it's allowed, it creates more work for everyone. Except in rare instances, I can't even understand why someone *would* routinely check out books from one library and return them to another. :confused: Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

The man ahead of me in line once checked out a book about naval ships or something, and not long after, I saw it on my record. When I emailed the library, they immediately took it off my record, no questions asked. I have also had requested items go missing for more than a week in transit (one was never found again!), and several items that I checked in were successfully removed from my record but then became lost in the system. I would file a report with them, look on the library shelves yourself, and check your house and car very carefully.

Returning books to the branch where you checked them out--good. Returning a whole stack of books to a library where you didn't check them out (regardless of where your library procured them for you)--not quite as good. Even if it's allowed, it creates more work for everyone. Except in rare instances, I can't even understand why someone *would* routinely check out books from one library and return them to another. :confused: Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

Why would someone do that? Because it allows people to get materials together. And the library's mission is to unite people and the information they need.

There is "work" involved in checking books in, checking them out, and putting them back on the shelf. Libraries accept this as part of their mission. Otherwise it would be a big room full of books that no one would be allowed to "mess up" by removing from the shelf, in which case it would be most cost-efficient to fire all the staff, turn off the lights, and invest money in a nice lock. And that's not a library.

If it were NOT allowed to return books to another branch of a library system, that would be their policy.

From the library's perspective, more requests and deliveries to other branches reflects community interest in their library services, and higher circulation is always a good thing. It justifies their funding! There are many people who have no transportation to go all around the city to get books, and librarians are HAPPY to make it possible for people to read books housed in another part of the city. I am abundantly familiar with two large library systems and in both of them, the library as an institution and individual librarians are very open about the fact that they LOVE the ability to quickly generate requests (holds) for books, because it makes the information exchange much easier than it was in the old days.

I strongly urge ANYONE who feels that their library might not want them to check out books because it's too much "work" to ask the head of your local library if library usage is a good thing or bad. I am positive that the response will be -- PLEASE use the library.

I too am a librarian, and I am very glad I have such an excellent library system without such discouraging, draconian type policies many on here seem to have to deal with.

Edited by stripe

I think this is the point. There may be a misunderstanding about what different posters here are talking about. Returning books to the branch where you checked them out--good. Returning a whole stack of books to a library where you didn't check them out (regardless of where your library procured them for you)--not quite as good. Even if it's allowed, it creates more work for everyone. Except in rare instances, I can't even understand why someone *would* routinely check out books from one library and return them to another. :confused: Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

My regular library is closer to my home, and another library is close to my church. I sometimes return books to that one because it's right there on the way unless I have a trip planned to my regular library in the coming week (which is usually the case anyway). Where I return items also depends on which library I'm visiting on a particular day; that isn't necessarily my regular library, especially in the summer as we participate in the summer reading program events, which aren't all in the same location.

I'm not annoyed or offended, but neither do I see myself as a bad or troublesome library patron. I don't intentionally create more work for the librarians, but I do take advantage of the services my excellent library system offers that are convenient to me.

Incidentally, my local library seems to have a system of shuffling items between branches. They mark the branch name on each item as it's acquired, but these days, the items I find on the shelf are from all the other branches, and the item appears on my account as originating from the branch from which I checked it out. In other words, many items seem to have no permanent home!

I'm not annoyed or offended, but neither do I see myself as a bad or troublesome library patron.

No one here even came close to calling it bad or troublesome.

It's just a difference in...etiquette, as much as anything else. When I pull a book off the shelf, then decide not to check it out, I return it to it's spot on the shelf rather than leaving it on one of the empty shelves. It makes less work for library staff, and also makes it easier for someone else who may be looking for that book. There it is on the shelf, exactly where you'd expect to find it. Could I leave it for someone else to re-shelve? Sure, but I usually just put it back myself. If I were in a huge hurry, might I skip re-shelving it myself? Of course! But when I can, I reduce the workload on an over-burdened, under-funded system.

Personally, I don't really like it when a book is delayed in return to my local branch because someone checked it out here and then returned it somewhere else.

You are probably dealing with a much larger and more robust library system than those where I live. In an era where libraries are closing due to budget cuts (in spite of higher than ever circulation), the more people that can support their library in *all ways*, both through general use, and the lessening of workload, the better.

But yeah...it's more a difference in what's perceived as expected library services, and in how you choose to support your library. If the service is offered, by all means take advantage of it. :001_smile:

This was one library, I took out the book along with probably 30-50 others and returned it to the same library. I always have a large basket of books. I called and they are going to check the shelves again.

I got a similar letter a few weeks ago. I called and asked them to look for it and was told "if I don't call you back, I didn't find it". She didn't call back so I spent a week moving furniture, cleaning closets, really tearing things up looking for the stupid book. I decided to look at the library myself and the darn thing was sitting exactly where it was supposed to be! They didn't even bother to look. Next time, I'll look at the library first.

I've also had this happen. Usually, I've found the book sitting right there on their shelf. One time, however, the book could not be found, and I knew I had returned it (I made a special trip on Sunday to drop it off). I ended up paying for it - A Child's Garden of Verse. Since then, I will not use the outside dropoff. I would definitely look for it myself. Our library is pretty nice about such matters.

Janet

When I pull a book off the shelf, then decide not to check it out, I return it to it's spot on the shelf rather than leaving it on one of the empty shelves. It makes less work for library staff, and also makes it easier for someone else who may be looking for that book.

Just so you know, there are many libraries that would not like that, and it's not necessarily better "etiquette" than leaving it to be reshelved.

For one thing, many people shelve items incorrectly. And just because you got it from one spot, doesn't mean that's where it belongs.

Secondly, many libraries, at least at certain times throughout the year, want to have books LEFT UNSHELVED -- this is used in their statistics, as books that were used/read, in addition to those checked out.

So it's not always as simple as it seems, nor can someone's idea of what is "helpful" for the library (e.g. I'll read this book here, not check it out, then reshelve it myself) necessarily be in accord with the library's preferences (libraries tend to like to be able to document usage, and some services may be less expensive than you imagine), so it may be better to be gentler with passing judgments about what is "better" behavior.

Just so you know, there are many libraries that would not like that, and it's not necessarily better "etiquette" than leaving it to be reshelved.

For one thing, many people shelve items incorrectly. And just because you got it from one spot, doesn't mean that's where it belongs.

Secondly, many libraries, at least at certain times throughout the year, want to have books LEFT UNSHELVED -- this is used in their statistics, as books that were used/read, in addition to those checked out.

So it's not always as simple as it seems, nor can someone's idea of what is "helpful" for the library (e.g. I'll read this book here, not check it out, then reshelve it myself) necessarily be in accord with the library's preferences (libraries tend to like to be able to document usage, and some services may be less expensive than you imagine), so it may be better to be gentler with passing judgments about what is "better" behavior.

Our library has posted signs asking patrons to not reshelve books. I confess I do reshelve sometimes, but I know I get them in the right spot. However, I'm probably in the wrong for doing it. :001_huh:

Janet

The request is so that the library can maintain statistics on what specific items are being examined by library patrons. This helps them in planning future purchases.

P.S. OOOPS ! I failed to read carefully. The point already was posted. Sorry !

Our library has posted signs asking patrons to not reshelve books. I confess I do reshelve sometimes, but I know I get them in the right spot. However, I'm probably in the wrong for doing it. :001_huh:

Janet

Oh, for heaven's sake!

I was very careful *not* to articulate my thoughts in an offensive way.

I give up. :banghead:

I do not have to imagine what the services cost. As a member of our library commission, I know full well what it costs for my area.

Do we offer services for patron's convenience? Yes.

Is it helpful when folks do what they can (in small ways) to lessen the workload? Yes.

Do we use unshelved books in our stats? No.

Did I pass judgment on anyone? No.

Can we just agree to disagree, please? :cheers2:

Once I was told I didn't return a book that I knew I had. So, I went to the library and found it on the shelf. :001_smile:

That happened to us with a whole pile of books - probably about 10 or more. We couldn't check out any more books, had fines, etc. I was livid and asked for the printout - DH and I went through and found every last book on the shelves. The staff was embarrassed, so my anger dissipated. ;)

Jean, if they don't find it with you calling, you might just want to look for it on the shelf yourself when you return. I've had that happen in plenty of places too...

The request is so that the library can maintain statistics on what specific items are being examined by library patrons. This helps them in planning future purchases.

P.S. OOOPS ! I failed to read carefully. The point already was posted. Sorry !

Oh, see I learned something. I thought it was only to prevent books from being misshelved.

Janet

Except in rare instances, I can't even understand why someone *would* routinely check out books from one library and return them to another. :confused: Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

I pick up books from a branch near my office. If I'm crunched for time, I'll get dh to return them to the branch nearest our home. So that's one reason it may occur. But as long as the books are returned to the correct county, the librarians don't care which branch they're returned to. This is actually the county next door to us - we pay an annual fee because it's an awesome system with awesome employees. If I had to rely on the library of the county we live in, I'd have to buy most of our books.

When I pull a book off the shelf, then decide not to check it out, I return it to it's spot on the shelf rather than leaving it on one of the empty shelves. It makes less work for library staff, and also makes it easier for someone else who may be looking for that book. There it is on the shelf, exactly where you'd expect to find it. Could I leave it for someone else to re-shelve? Sure, but I usually just put it back myself. If I were in a huge hurry, might I skip re-shelving it myself? Of course! But when I can, I reduce the workload on an over-burdened, under-funded system.

Actually, at our library system (one town, 3 branches), they have signs all over the place discouraging patrons from reshelving books. They request that patrons place books to be reshelved on a cart at the end of the aisle. It seems that many people just don't reshelve properly, so books often end up somewhere they don't belong.

Personally, I don't really like it when a book is delayed in return to my local branch because someone checked it out here and then returned it somewhere else.

You are probably dealing with a much larger and more robust library system than those where I live. In an era where libraries are closing due to budget cuts (in spite of higher than ever circulation), the more people that can support their library in *all ways*, both through general use, and the lessening of workload, the better.

But yeah...it's more a difference in what's perceived as expected library services, and in how you choose to support your library. If the service is offered, by all means take advantage of it. :001_smile:

Exactly. If a library system had big delays in returning books to the right branch, I could see that as a problem. Our library system actually encourages patrons to return books to their most convenient branch. For those who use the drop box, we have a separate box for the other branches. I usually have mine checked in in person because I have had problems with books getting missed (3 books in the month after a new system went live!) As they check them in, they sort which branch they go to. Our library system has daily transports between branches, so there isn't much of a delay in books getting back on the shelf. If I had to drive across town to return books, they might get there a bit later:). If a book is available at another branch and I place a hold on it, it will be at my branch in less than a day. We have a very high volume library, so the daily transport system is cost effective.

In our system there are nine branches, and it doesn't matter which branch you go to for returns, the branches all have "runs" to cart the books back to where they belong. So, it's just part of using the system we pay taxes for, not an abuse of the library. In fact, when I "order" lots of books from my home branch, they love me there, because I "keep the stats up." ;) If you don't use the library, the system won't have as much clout when it comes to the county's budget. So we use it, but don't abuse it.

I don't think anyone is saying that you need to drive around and return books you've taken out from your branch (but through inter-library loan) to it's original home. Occasional return to a branch where you did not originally check out the book is fine--but there's no denying that it's more efficient for library personnel and for other library patrons if books are returned to the original check-out location.

This is not true. Let's say that I'm at Branch A and I check out a book-on-hold from Branch B. When I return that book -- to any branch, but usually to my "home" branch -- it does not necessarily go back to Branch B. In our system, it might go to any of NINE branches, or out on Interlibrary Loan, or into the back for repairs. And until the desk staff checks in the book, there's way to know where the book is slated to go next. So, the moral of this story is simply: Get your books back to any branch, and the system will do its lovely work.

I'm with you here. I noticed a lot of people must be using the Beautiful Feet Guides along with library books. I'm jealous. My library simply isn't that reliable. They've got a massive number of books, but most of the good stuff is in storage. It can take them months to produce things from storage.

I sheepishly bought the entire BF History and Geography sets I needed last year, (albeit on the used market). I was embarrassed to spend the money, but otherwise the library would have driven me bonzo.

We do use the library, but in a limited manner. I use the library's website to put a large number of good quality literature the kids might enjoy on hold. The books trickle in slowly. I put them on a special shelf in our library as they come in. I renew them on line if necessary, for the kids' convenience. When a child has read a book, or expressed strong distaste for it, I return it. This means each child always has about 6 really good reading options available, which I haven't been forced to buy.

I'm a bit resentful that we can't count on them to provide a specific book in a timely fashion, but at least we are getting something worthwhile from them.

This was one library, I took out the book along with probably 30-50 others and returned it to the same library. I always have a large basket of books. I called and they are going to check the shelves again.

If you always check out dozens of books and have never failed to return any of them, I would speak with the librarian and tell him or her that you know you returned the book and would appreciate not being charged for it. If you have a clean record with the library, they may very well make an exception for you, as they will see that you are always careful with their books.

It's worth asking -- and I would definitely do it in person, as it's easier for them to say no over the telephone.

Cat

Except in rare instances, I can't even understand why someone *would* routinely check out books from one library and return them to another. :confused: Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

Some library systems are larger (more branches) than others. I think our county system has 9 or 10 locations. Two of them are the exact same distance from my house, but in opposite directions. One of those is halfd a mile from the IL's house, where we do school. If the La Prade and Bon Air librarians got annoyed every time I returned a book to one I checked out of the other, I'd be in trouble! They're even starting to "get" why I have holds at both locations. :tongue_smilie:

Janet

Our system requests this in the children's section. They'd rather the kids leave the books on the tables than reshelve them improperly.

:iagree: Exactly how ours is set up. We also have book drops at area stores which are some distance away from the library branches. They have regular deliveries to/from the various branches. When I go to the drive-thru at my preferred branch, following a weekly appointment elsewhere, the book delivery van arrives just as I do, and as I'm at the drive thru window the van driver unloads crates of books. Every week, same time. I'm sure it's a daily occurance.