Menu

What shoes do kids wear when it's HOT and they're walking a lot? And stroller for 9 yo?

PeterPan

I'd order both and return the ones that don't work.

I've never found Nike sizing to be particularly reliable, but we all have high arches, wide toes, and narrow ankles, which often doesn't work well with Nikes, so I'm a terrible judge.

I definitely would also get a stroller. WDW is more walking than almost any 9 yo could tolerate.

Keen a quite a big fit. My son has size 6 asics (will be too small by NZ winter), size 7 new balance for tennis and size 6 keens (will probably just fit next spring.

• Like 1

Ok, I ordered the stroller fan. Hopefully tomorrow morning one of these companies I'm calling will have a stroller for me. If not, something will work out. I'm pretty psyched about the fan. That really one ups our water bottle sprayer fan thing, because he can have it going even when he's not holding it. So it's really both at that point, score. 

That makes me more hopeful. I just needed more tools than I had last time. If we get there and the weather is awesome, that's great. But it's much better to have the tools and leave them in the hotel room than NOT to have them and need them.

• Like 1

Oh, and weird conversation. I showed ds the strollers and asked if he'd want to be able to be in one in lines. He's like why would they let me do that? I'm like, hello, for the same reason you use the DAS. ;)

He has NO CLUE of his differences. He goes to these social skills groups and says everyone there is weird, but he doesn't classify HIMSELF as weird, lol. But he bought that a person who needs special rules/options for waiting in line probably needs other special rules as well. But he proclaimed that he wants to stand in the lines, that he doesn't like to be contained ALL the time, that he's not easily contained.  :lol:

• Like 1

I bought these for my 6 year old on our recent Disney trip.  We walked A LOT (close to 100 miles by the end of the trip) and he complained about a lot of things but at least he never complained about his feet, lol.

https://www.zappos.com/p/plae-mimo-toddler-little-kid-green-spruce/product/8953476/color/196216?ef_id=WiXyfAAAAaU1V1Ek:20180223044909:s

• Like 1

Has it really been that bad? I just feel terrible that I planned this thinking it would be fine, telling him would be fine, and it's MELT level for him. Total melt level. Now I do have him onboard with going into the parks early. He's setting some personal goals, like 20 times on Space Mountain during our trip, so I introduced the concept of AVERAGES and that we needed to hit it 4 times a day, that means twice in the morning, twice during the fireworks... [emoji38] Anyways, I think going in early will help. Last time he kept trying to whine and sleep in, not realizing it was making us hit there late, when it was hot. Apparently he can now understand that, hallelujah.

So then, what stroller? Seriously. Cuz a 54" kid sorta fits but the weight bogs down. I hadn't thought of a medical stroller. I can google. Maybe a place in Orlando has them. They have everything else...

Yeah, he can use the protecting, lol. He has a lot of motion. [emoji38]

You could maybe use a push wheelchair? And those spray bottles with plastic fans on them work pretty well for Disney heat, and they are fun as well.
  • Like 1

Ok, now the question of the day. Did you say there's a way I can get it labeled as medical and keep it in line? He has so many problems waiting in line. I need to talk with the behaviorist. These things are not huge like the double Disney. If I had him contained in that seat, he might wait a lot better. Even with the DAS, there can be waits of 45 minutes or more, which is quite challenging with him. On some rides it would be a pain (like hello, Tower of Terror), but on something like Flight of Passage, he would be much easier to handle with the stroller and the ability to keep the stroller all the way up. The people AROUND us would be more comfortable if he were in the stroller. He would be more comfortable.

But it's not every ride, and it's not like he can't. Like Space Mountain, if you fastpass or go early, you walk right on. RocknRoller Coaster, wouldn't need it because the line keeps moving. I need to think. Just the ones with a lot of standing in place waiting, he's really challenging in those. Keeping him in the stroller then would be AMAZING. But is that a legitimate use of it? Like is that something they do?

Yes I think you should be able to go to the front of the line at Disney.

I borrow wheelchairs at most venues for my ds who has intellectual disabilities. Some places have fees, but I've never paid $50. I usually have to.leave my driver license.

We push him around whatever venue, enjoy the sites, he likes the ride. I have done this at zoos, amusement parks, outdoor parks, museums and tours of college campuses (so he wasn't a distraction to older sibling's tour).

My ds is fully capable of a lot of walking. But if I have to MAKE him walk at special events, these things are no longer special in a positive way. Better shoes don't help us.

Battery powered fans and spray bottles are good additions to using a wheelchair.

• Like 1

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have time to read all the replies, but consider water shoes if youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re at Disney. There are water rides and socks/wet shoes are annoying (or worse). Plus jumping in the splash areas and water areas will help cool off. Consider bringing ice packs in a cooler (if coolers are allowed-I forget), and allowing him to hold them or put them behind his neck.

• Like 1

Yes I think you should be able to go to the front of the line at Disney.

LOL, that would be slick. No, only MakeAWish kids get that, and I wouldn't trade places with them for anything. And really, the lines aren't usually that bad. It's just sometimes. And before the other times we've gone we've had people on scooters, so he spent the whole time perseverating, wanting to drive them, wanting to steer them, turning them on/off/on/off. That perseveration and getting stuck is really hard to deal with. It doesn't go away, just because we're at Disney. So we're eliminating that distraction.

Yeah, come to think about it, he spent a LOT of time sitting during lines the last couple times, because we had scooter people with us. With no scooter, he'll be on his feet the whole time. So we'll see. I'm going to be pretty aggressive about getting the stroller tagged if we need it, definitely. 

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have time to read all the replies, but consider water shoes if youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re at Disney. There are water rides and socks/wet shoes are annoying (or worse). Plus jumping in the splash areas and water areas will help cool off. Consider bringing ice packs in a cooler (if coolers are allowed-I forget), and allowing him to hold them or put them behind his neck.

Hehe, I was looking at ice packs last night! When dd had her wisdom teeth out, they gave her really snazzy ones, and I found a rectangular version on amazon. I was trying to figure out if our hotel room will have a freezer to keep them cold. 

If it's not very humid, we may be fine. I just don't know. I just have to have all the plans and options, because he can be pretty intense when it goes south. I even thought about maybe just taking a gallon bag and asking for a cup of just ice at counter service. LIke if they'll give you a cup of water, then will they give you a cup of ICE? Then I could put that in the bag and put it on his neck or whatever.

I borrow wheelchairs at most venues for my ds who has intellectual disabilities. Some places have fees, but I've never paid $50. I usually have to.leave my driver license.

We push him around whatever venue, enjoy the sites, he likes the ride. I have done this at zoos, amusement parks, outdoor parks, museums and tours of college campuses (so he wasn't a distraction to older sibling's tour).

My ds is fully capable of a lot of walking. But if I have to MAKE him walk at special events, these things are no longer special in a positive way. Better shoes don't help us.

Battery powered fans and spray bottles are good additions to using a wheelchair.

Yup, that's what it is. Once he's overwhelmed and can't cope, he'll sit down and stop moving or start hitting and punching to leave. It can be really problematic, and we've had it happen enough that I have to have a good game plan. Yeah, it was $50 a day because it was a double stroller at Disney, sigh. They're actually really great strollers, huge wheels. With the double, he could turn sideways and fit reasonably comfortably. The single was I think $35 a day and not really big enough for him and he's grown since then, sigh. 

Well I'm going to go call places. They should be in. We'll see what they say.

Ok, found the Liberty stroller available, so now I'm just gonna go look at videos. I know it's the right size, but is it too big? Like is it awkward? I mean, he's a tall boy. One place had the MacLaren but no Liberty and was apologetic, saying the Liberty was ideal for him.

They're saying the weather is gorgeous right now, hot but not humid. Well actually the Floridian said warm, haha. I'm like that is HOT for us, like full-fledged hot.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I swear, I always need a vacation before my vacation so I can destress from the planning. Once I do the trip, it's great. But the BEFORE, oy. 

And depending on where you are staying and how long it takes to go back and forth, consider going early, spending the middle of the day at the hotel maybe napping or watching tv and relaxing, and then going back later in the day/evening. 

THIS, a thousand times.

I will never forget going to Disney with my kids--We had the morning and early afternoon there, then, about 2:30, went to the condo we had rented. EVERYBODY took a nap. We ate an early dinner and walked back into the park around 6:30. We saw family after family dragging screaming, miserable kids around, while we were refreshed and happy. Those 4 hours of break meant 5 more hours of an excellent time. I won't do Disney with small kids (or challenged kids, as my son) any.other.way. 

• Like 3

There are strollers that look like typical strollers with shades that are hitting 110pound capacities, so they'll be perfect for him.

So you think it's good now? I was hoping that the humidity might be low and then the heat wouldn't feel bad. Like where we live, high 80s is as hot as it gets, even in summer. Like we might have 2 or 3 days that hit low 90s. It's often not even warm enough for him to swim outside because the Y pool is unheated. So 90 with a pleasant level of humidity would be a nice summer day to us. But when we were there in September, it was high 80s to 90 with sweltering, sweatroom level humidity. He just had extreme trouble dealing with it. So I have to have a plan to be safe, kwim? His aggressive behaviors are level 3 on the GARS. Like I really have to have every option I can have thought out. To be safe and keep everyone safe, I have to have plans.

It's been a little above average lately but not as hot as summer. September is horrible with both high temperatures and high humidity. Fall means nothing to us. October isn't a whole lot better. IOW, don't base your decision on your September visit. February (which I know is almost over) and most of March are nice, and the humidity is usually lower. April is iffy. Do keep in mind that your trade off for beautiful weather is crowds. Some areas of the country have winter break plus we're coming up on Spring Break season. Still, I'd take crowds over heat any any day.

Here are a few sites with average monthly temps for Orlando.

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/Orlando+FL+USFL0372:1:US

https://www.tripsavvy.com/orlando-florida-weather-1513615

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Certainly get a medical grade stroller if you can find one. They are easy to push and designed for taller/heavier kids. Get it tagged as a wheelchair. Even if he doesn't ride in it much it is a great place to hang a backpack, etc and when he does need it you will be glad you have it.

We had a wheelchair for our girls for their make a wish trip. They are totally ambulatory but tire easily. It was wonderful. They took turns walking and riding and it made the trip much easier. It was also great to hang the heavy backpack on the back.

I also suggest an extra set of clothes "just in case".

• Like 2

for outdoors in hot weather with a lot of walking it's good fitting, supportive, hiking sandals.

or GOOD flip flops  (re: they have ARCHES and toe grips.)   I have one - who'd live in flip flops if he could, and would even wear them in the winter.  I broke down and bought him pricey flip flops from the walking compnay -  he wears them when he's not working year round.  even in winter rains here.  (has to wear dress shoes to work.)

• Like 1

Oh, and bring his sneakers maybe and put them in the stroller, in case he has issues with the newer shoes. 

Reading through this thread, this was my thought as well.   When it's hot and humid, Keens make my feet sweat much more than sneakers with socks, so I would definitely have backup shoes available.   Keens are awesome to have when you're around water, so if you plan to go to any of the water parks, they'd be great.   But if he's not used to wearing them, and then tries to wear them in temps that he's not used to experiencing, you may want to have sneakers on hand.

The other thing I haven't heard mentioned yet upthread is to make sure you wear sunscreen.   There is nothing worse than having to walk around a theme park in the heat with a sunburn.

I live in Tampa, about an hour away, and the temps have been well above average for the past week or two (we set a record for February last week at 89 degrees).  But it hasn't been humid at all (at least by Florida standards).   89 and not humid is quite nice!  The weather forecasters are saying that temps will go back to more "normal" ranges around the first week of March.

• Like 2

THIS, a thousand times.

I will never forget going to Disney with my kids--We had the morning and early afternoon there, then, about 2:30, went to the condo we had rented. EVERYBODY took a nap. We ate an early dinner and walked back into the park around 6:30. We saw family after family dragging screaming, miserable kids around, while we were refreshed and happy. Those 4 hours of break meant 5 more hours of an excellent time. I won't do Disney with small kids (or challenged kids, as my son) any.other.way. 

This is what we do too. I refuse to turn my vacation into a running around, nonrelaxing time. We woke up when we felt like it, had breakfast at the resort then headed into the parks. We'd go back to the hotel around 2-3, swim in the pool, relax, read, etc. And then head back for a 7pm dinner reservation. 

• Like 2

Convaid Metro stroller - compact and light weight, maneuverable in small places

or

Advanced Mobility Freedom stroller - which is heavy and bulky, but has more recline and shade, handles grassy type terrain better

Both are near $1000. Both are high quality. The Freedom is large enough that he is unlikely to outgrow it. The Metro comes in sizes. It could be bought a bit large, and would last for years.

Edited by 4Wesley
  • Like 1

Strollers for bigger/older kids are called adaptive or mobility strollers.  They're not cheap though.

We were in the process of trying to get one for my SN child back in 2013 when we switched to a cr@ppy HMO insurance that wouldn't cover it for a child who didn't have CP or other diagnosed mobility impairment. The one we were wanting to get didn't look like a wheelchair but rather just a large stroller (ETA: I believe it was a Convaid). The neurologist wrote us a letter of medical necessity saying based on her autism and tendency to bolt it was a physical safety risk for her to walk in public places.

Fortunately she made such good improvements from ABA that it made the need for the SN stroller moot.

Edited by Crimson Wife
  • Like 2

Yeah, I'm kind of spinning my wheels on the stroller. They're available, but none are screaming to me as quite right. The MacLaren Major has a 20" back height, which on him is to the top of the shoulders. So he still needs another 10" (yes literally) to accommodate his head. If he can't use the hood to keep cool, not much point.

I found the Liberty available, but it's pretty big. Another vendor suggested the Special Tomato EIO, but looking at the pictures I think he'll be scrunched even in that. He's 30" from seat to top of head. 

He doesn't want to go back to a Disney stroller, but it would resolve the issue that anything I would rent would have to be collapsed multiple times a day into an Uber vehicle.

So I don't know. For now I'm doing nothing because I couldn't figure it out. I think I'll try to look at our plans and think about how to have *sitting* breaks.

We were in the process of trying to get one for my SN child back in 2013 when we switched to a cr@ppy HMO insurance that wouldn't cover it for a child who didn't have CP or other diagnosed mobility impairment. The one we were wanting to get didn't look like a wheelchair but rather just a large stroller (ETA: I believe it was a Convaid). The neurologist wrote us a letter of medical necessity saying based on her autism and tendency to bolt it was a physical safety risk for her to walk in public places.

Fortunately she made such good improvements from ABA that it made the need for the SN stroller moot.

Yes, I found your old posts!

I think we're probably going to start without, plan in breaks, really GOOD BREAKS where we sit and get recharged, and see how that works.

If it doesn't work, he can fit in a Disney double stroller. He might not like it, but I don't see the outside options as more workable. And there is the crapshoot roll that the weather will be lovely, low 80s, low humidity, feel glorious to him, and the birds sing and the planets align and we just have this beautiful amazing time. Or he could roast and have meltdowns and be really hard the whole time. 

Not sure what I was thinking waiting till now, man. Well he thought January last year was too cold. But there's nothing I can do about it.

So what would you be doing for scheduled breaks with your dd in a situation like this? Any tips or hypothetical advice? :D

Edited by PeterPan

Ask at your local special needs school, on Craigslist, Facebook, etc. Often you can find used ones that people will loan or give you that have been outgrown.

Free to take in an airplane

There may be an equipment lending library attached to a disability resource center. I would Google to see if you can find something like that within reasonable driving distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ice in a spray bottle.  As it melts and he melts it is great getting that blast of cold water.  Along with the clip fan that you already ordered.  There are also fans, as mentioned upthread, that spray a mist of water.  You can refill them with ice water when you stop to eat something.  But I also prefer having a spray bottle filled with ice.  No water.  Start with just ice.  Use it later on, when the other things are not working anymore.  Ice has melted.  Water is cold.  Nice.

• Like 1

LOL, that would be slick. No, only MakeAWish kids get that, and I wouldn't trade places with them for anything.

Actually my sister was able to get my nephew a medical fast pass so that they could bypass the lines.  He occasionally gets low blood sugar and has fainted like once in his life and apparently that was enough to let him bypass the lines, lol.

Edited by JennSnow
  • Like 1

No advice, but wanted to say it's so wonderful that you can go, just the two of you! Hope you have a great trip and some fantastic memories.

Aw thanks, that's sweet! Yes, we're excited. He's that catch-22 where he likes being there but finds it hard. So that's why we're doing it (besides me needing to perk up and get some sun, oh my), because he just needs to be out, stretching his wings, knowing that he CAN do this. 

What it be cheaper and or easier to rent a wheelchair from Disney rather than a stroller? That way you don't have to lug it back-and-forth to the hotel? That would be easier to push and he would fit better? No shade though.

Like you say, I think the sunshade part is pretty important. I wanted to give up and just go with a Disney stroller if we get there and need it, but he was adamant we have one.

I ended up renting from Orlando Medical Rentals. Got the Special Tomato EIO. I think it will be big enough without being too big, and it has the sunshade. I should see if it comes with a cooler or something. Having the stroller will give us a way to carry water too, which will be nice. And we have the battery op fan coming and the spray fan. 

He's just such a wild card, it's better to have the options and not need them. Need to see if the shoes came yet, and then I need to go through the maps to pick some spots for breaks.

Thanks ladies!!

If itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s that hot and sweaty, I prefer breathable running shoes and socks. A change of socks is nice, but sweaty bare feet rubbing on shoes can blister. I am a sandals and flip flops girl in the summer, but all day hiking is different and I revert to my Army ways where I have extra socks and moleskin for any hot spots.

• Like 1

Do you think this is an ok plan for clothing? I'm bringing him athletic wear, like basketball gym shorts. They're that polyester stuff, very breezy. Also he has some synthetic shirts to match that seem like they would breath. And he picked up tonight a shirt that looks like a polo and matching shorts but both are made with this athletic wear material. Does that seem good to you?

He was in normal cotton twill shorts (hand me downs) and normal cotton t-shirts on our September sauna trip, so I was trying to find anything to get cooler even than shorts and a t-shirt.

I used to be as unbelievably sensitive as he is, so I get it. I've been doing the steam room so long, I can finally take it. But he really really struggles. If we have a stroller to haul a little weight, we could take in frozen water bottles. Is there some other trick like that for keeping cool? We got him the spray fan water bottle thing and that helps amazingly. He needs an ice cube vest.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ice cube vests are actually a thing (not that I've bought one, nor am I recommending this company specifically, it was just the first thing to pop up in google) http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/Cooling-Vests-c431.htm

I think I've heard of electric cooling vests, like, fans and a battery, but I'm not sure if that's a real thing.

• Like 1

The EIO isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t too big and does not scream wheelchair but really does not look medical- itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s exactly like a big baby stroller. Has a good sun shade.

Did u check the weight and size suggestion limit? I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember it, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not very large. I used it for a 4-7 year old but he was tiny.

It doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t push as good as a jogging stroller or some of the mc Claren medical strollers, just fyi.

Oh and cooling vests ARE a thing. You donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want the evaporative kind, you want the kind with re chargeable Ă¢â‚¬Å“iceĂ¢â‚¬ packs.

We used them for years.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

Yeah, he's too tall to use the sunshade on the Maclaren Major. Each vendor I called had a different opinion, but Orlando Medical had all the models and picked this one. By the specs, he fits. The seat back is 24" and he is 20" to top of shoulder, 30" to top of head. So with the 24" plus room before the sunshade, he should fit. It won't be utterly spacious, but he should fit. And I put those specs in the rental form, so if they're not right probably they'll call me. 

So yeah, it's probably not an easy way to go. I thought the Disney stroller was really practical, but he didn't want that again. So I figured him wanting it matters more right now. I think he views the EIO as really good for taking breaks and retreating. He's more able to use his language now than he was a year ago to express how he feels, and he was saying it would give him a way to get away from people, that we should take a blanket... So I think the MacLaren doesn't quite get us there.

But yeah, we could get there and totally hate it. But, you know, if I do hate it, I'll just call the rental company and have them trade. I'll bet they would. They wouldn't leave me hanging all week with something that was a horrible fit. If we need to trade it, we can.

We have a MacLaren in the regular size (Volo probably, I forget) from when he was smaller, and we pulled it out to see if he would fit. He didn't want that type, even if it were bigger. I showed him pictures, because it definitely would be bigger. He really wanted the cocoon effect of the more full stroller. So we'll just roll with it (haha) and see what happens. It may be awful. I've done harder things than push 22+65 pounds through miles in a theme park in the blazing heat and humidity. I'm not sure what it was, but I'm sure I've done harder.

Now making sure I don't have pneumonia before we leave, that's the next problem. I went for a massage and the lady was COUGHING in the lobby between clients. I'm like REALLY??? Really you would not call and TELL me you're SICK and CONTAGIOUS?!?! So upset. Like I'm done, not going back. I've already been on an antibiotic twice this winter. My throat is sore and I'm going to go hunker down and watch tv and sip boiled onion soup and dose with vitamin C and sambucol and hope for the best. But I'm pretty upset about that. I just don't know what goes through people's heads, touching people and being that close when you have to know you're SICK.

Good news! He loves the Keen Seacamp sandals. They're going to be perfect. :D  We'll take his sneakers too, but this way he has a choice. The Newports had a lot more structure and material, which I think would be hotter. The Seacamps have more airflow. He liked them a lot. :)

SaveSave

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

Well I can't attach the picture but the stroller is AWESOME for him. He's actually sleeping in it right now. He's less tired and less overwhelmed so he's talking more, noticing more. The difference is really interesting. And we've been here 6 hours with no meltdowns.

The Keene aren't padded enough to be comfortable walking in but they're nice and cool while in the stroller. He's using the battery op fan a lot too. It's only about 80 and breezy but even that is a lot for him to regulate with all the other stimulation.

So everything is working great! I can't believe he's napping. He NEVER naps. Lol

• Like 4

Enjoy!!

If you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t mind missing a few hours, go early in the am- much cooler, and then retreat by noon or after lunch to a hotel or swimming, and come back to the park when it will starts to Ă¢â‚¬Å“coolĂ¢â‚¬ a bit.

Edited by displace
  • Like 1