Menu

Outfit a southern girl for college in Toledo. . .

plansrme

My HS senior is headed to Toledo for college in the fall.  As I have shared on the College Board, she literally does not own pants (well, now she owns a pair of jeans--just one).  She wears shorts year-around here in Atlanta.  I've told her she's getting winter clothes for Christmas.  So--what does she need?  I've never lived farther north than Nashville and haven't a clue about what she will need.  Help!

• Like 2

Looks like she will want to be prepared for at least three months of very cold, snowy weather. You probably don't have many shops near you with winter clothing so  you might want to look at something like Land's End or LL Bean. Basically layers. Jeans are usually warm enough if you wear some kind of silk long underwear with them. Warm sweaters, scarf, mittens, hat, and  boots for rain and snow. Thick socks! Outdoor winter activities might require some kind of ski pants, waterproof gloves, etc. Warm PJs and slippers. 

• Like 2

Looks like she will want to be prepared for at least three months of very cold, snowy weather. You probably don't have many shops near you with winter clothing so  you might want to look at something like Land's End or LL Bean. Basically layers. Jeans are usually warm enough if you wear some kind of silk long underwear with them. Warm sweaters, scarf, mittens, hat, and  boots for rain and snow. Thick socks! Outdoor winter activities might require some kind of ski pants, waterproof gloves, etc. Warm PJs and slippers. 

i'm on Land's End right now because they have 50% off of everything (long down coat for $110--I am hesitating only because the temperature rating is -25-0--is that really necessary?).  Glad you mentioned socks--no one in my family even wears socks except for blister-prevention purposes. 

Good long underwear we prefer polyproplene but there are a few good other ones as well.

fleece lined jeans

a good heavy coat

How much time will she spend doing outdoor activities?  We had rabbit fur lined bomber hats when we lived in Alaska that were great for cross country skiing and playing in the snow in general or hiking.

• Like 2

I know people who wear shorts and flip-flops in the snow.  :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, she’ll need the usual winter gear – coat, boots, gloves, sweaters or hoodies, tops for layering, jeans or leggings, socks.  I’d wait to purchase the items she can’t use in Atlanta.  Set aside the money or buy a gift card instead.  No need to store, pack and haul items from Atlanta to Toledo when there are plenty of stores in Toledo.  Or order next fall and have the vendor ship direct.  She’ll have a better idea of what she needs/wants once she is there. 

For now:

A school or school mascot hooded sweatshirt.  Order a size larger than usual for layering.

Fleece vest or pullover

Tops that can be layered for warmth

Socks

If you really want to get cold weather gear - polyprolene long underwear is great.  In addition to LL Bean and Land's End, look at Duluth Trading Company, REI, Cabelas or other outdoor outfitters.

• Like 6

Our wardrobes this year after moving to a colder climate got updated with these:

Down jacket for the teen, wool coats for us, L.L. Bean 2-in-1 coat for the little kid

Under Armour long underwear type stuff

Light jackets (for inside and layering)

Wool socks (Dryer safe ones)

Along with regular sweaters, pants, and long sleeves.  Old Navy had a good deal on thermal type shirts and leggings, and we've hit sales for all the rest.

• Like 1

When I moved from S. Calif to Chicago for grad school, I erred on the side of too warm- sox liners, long underwear, most massive down coat Lands End carried.

Now I have lived here over half my life. Haven't worn long underwear in years - jeans are fine as long as your feet and torso, head are covered and warm.

Columbia has good fleece - go to the website, join (free) to get free shipping, and great GREAT discounts right NOW on quality warm stuff. I got myself more zip-up fleece "jackets" I wear inside this drafty old house - and any day 40 and up it is a jacket and all one needs outside, too.

https://www.columbia.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Columbia_US-Site/en_US/Default-Start?did=columbia&ef_id=V@hRxgAAAClViTuM:20171124140346:s&eid=Google+Adwords+US&mid=paidsearch&nid=COL%7CBrand%7CBrand+Core%7CGoogle%7CExact%7CUS&oid=Brand+Core_General&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!227526207825!e!!g!!columbia

Lands End or LL Bean have good warm long coats - BUT most college kids do not dress as warm as, say, a commuter, so nothing too long. Packable down is far less bulky. Don't get too snug - she may want to fit a fleece jacket underneath on coldest days in January.

She will need some sort of waterproof, warm boot with good tread for when it snows - my kids that age waterproof and run around in Uggs. Get a size larger than she usually wears - she wants to fit warm thick socks in there,m and have toe wiggle room. Helps keep toes warm. She may want to wait and see what roommate/other kids are wearing. Anything you get now that is judged by you as warm and good may not get worn if no one else there wears it too. Ask me how I learned this :-(

She will most likely want texting gloves. She can pick up/order what else she needs once the first cold days hit. She needs to select her own hat(s) - and/or ear muffs. And scarves- soft wool or fleece. It can get cold running to class.

Although odds are most kids will run around jackets open, no hat, etc. It is the age. I can't even get my kids to wear wool socks!

But save money on long underwear unless she asks for it later. I wore long underwear my first winter here and was sweltering in class. She won't need it probably.

Or have her pick out acceptable to her items on-line and save them in your cart to buy IF and WHEN she so requests them. Tell her to humor Mom and do so. Promise not to send the items unless she asks. And even then, tell her to tough it out a day or too to be sure she needs the items before you spend money on them. Believe me, she will pay attention to what the other students are wearing. If no one else is wearing a heavy coat or hat with ear flaps, she won't, either.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 6

A lot will depend on how far she has to walk from her dorm to class. I went to university in Illinois and had about a 30 minute walk from my dorm to the engineering campus because my dorm was on the south end and engineering was on the north end of a rather large campus. When there wasn't snow I could ride my bike. So maybe not a long coat. I guess I was thinking about long underwear or ski pants for when the opportunity comes up to do outdoor activities in the snow. She might be pretty excited to get out there and enjoy it. Football games are cold to watch also. You could see if there are any youtube videos of her campus in the winter months to see what people are wearing. Seems like just about everything is on youtube. 

• Like 1

I probably wouldn’t buy anything now. She may not want a long winter down coat if no one else on campus wears one. Plus, it’s going to be difficult to find appropriate cold winter gear in Atlanta.

I grew up in South Dakota, yes it sometimes gets below zero and stays that way for weeks. Even on campus I didn’t wear snow boots because the sidewalks were shoveled and I didn’t like wearing them during classes. I did wear a heavy winter coat, gloves, and an ear covering. On windy days I wore my neck gaiter to cover my cheeks and nose. I only wore “long john’s†when I was in marching band and needed more warmth under my uniform. It was way too hot to have them on under other clothes sitting in class where the heat was cranked up. I wore snow boots when I was playing outside or shoveling. I had ski pants that I wore for outside too, but I never wore those to class.

She will likely feel colder than the kids that grew up, up north. However, she won’t really know her preferences for how to dress until she experiences the cold. I would wait until next Christmas to help her fill out her cold weather wardrobe. The coldest part of winter is usually January and February so you could set aside money for a coat to purchase next fall and then get her the rest of what she needs next Christmas.

• Like 7

I'd give her gift cards (and eventually coupons) or the promise of the shopping trip together, so she can buy what she wants, when she needs it.

It's difficult to anticipate styles . . . and we all know that Freshmen always stand out in the crowd.

I've just received too much clothing-as-gifts that isn't what I'd have chosen.

I too heartily recommend thrift stores as the first stop!

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

Her life will be much improved with a coat that goes down to her thighs. I keep meaning to get one myself, but it’s overkill in MD. if you tend to wear jeans with nothing lining them they can get cold in the winter and the longer coat matters.

College students wear jeans most of the time. I’d buy those and make them warmer with tights or silk longjohns. Maybe you can find some fleece lined jeggings or leggings that she’s more likely to wear. I think my own college girl would just freeze before bothering with long underwear than overheating in class.

• Like 1

I would definitely buy her some jeans, as the weather quickly cools in Toledo (I grew up near Akron and went to OSU). 

BUT she will want to see what other kids wear, style-wise, so let her go shopping there. 

And I agree with others, not many people of college age wear long underwear, unless maybe they are sledding. 

Winter boots are good, though, again, let her get them there so she fits in style-wise. 

• Like 2

My swimmer at college lives in leggings. Cold weather ones from Lululemon are in constant rotation. She has a coat from North Face and Hunter rain boots with liners.

Almost no one on her team wears jeans (a season of college weights makes for difficult jean fitting). 

It will be easier to wait and she will know what she needs and also what everyone else is wearing (important to some girls).

• Like 2

Boots with traction, cowboy boots won't work in ice and snow. 

I have fingerless gloves as well as regular ones. fingerless one are great if classrooms are cold and you need to take notes. 

lip balm - this is very necessary in the winter

good sunglasses - winter can be grey and cloudy or really too bright as snow is reflective

headbands/beanie hats. I like to have my ears covered in the winter, even when it's not quite cold enough for a full hat. 

Parka like coat, especially for someone who is not used to the cold. It needs to cut wind and not be so cumbersome that it's a pain to carry around campus. 

Scarf - I wear something on most days. I hate turtleneck shirts, and prefer a scarf. I have everything from cotton knit for light days to big furry knit ones on those really blustery days. 

A good moisturizing lotion - winter is hard on skin 

• Like 2

a quality wool hat with fleece lining - go to a sporting goods store

Quality wool socks - I like Point 6 brand

a pair of black fleece-lined leggings

Fingerless gloves - cute hand-knitted wool ones

A buff designed for winter wear (covers neck and can be pulled up over the ears - get one with fleece)

A goes-with-everything black cashmere sweater

Those are all good presents, and will give her a lot of options for warmth.  The rest can be purchased once she knows what she needs.

• Like 2

My swimmer at college lives in leggings. Cold weather ones from Lululemon are in constant rotation. She has a coat from North Face and Hunter rain boots with liners.

Almost no one on her team wears jeans (a season of college weights makes for difficult jean fitting). 

It will be easier to wait and she will know what she needs and also what everyone else is wearing (important to some girls).

Yes on jeans--she's already nearly impossible to fit in that department.  I'll definitely check out Lululemom leggings.  Thanks!

I'm quoting you again because a quick look at the Lululemon website reminded me that she needs leggings in short lengths, and they have them.  I was just going to order fleece leggings off of Amazon or some such, and they would have been too long.  I see Lululemon has a store reasonably close by, so I will check it out in person.  She thanks you for this reminder.

You're getting advice from northerners about northern winters.  Trust me that coming from the south and going north is a special circumstance.

Northerners, when it is 60F here, you see people outside with down North Face jackets on and gloves, or you see people in shorts and flip-flops, but wrapped in fleece blankets because they flat out don't own a coat.  Granted, we can be outside in 95F weather in jeans and not break a sweat, but the acclimation issue is real.

She is going to want:

Sorel winter boots

wool socks

long underwear to layer under her clothing for the first year or two (costco's 6 degrees brand is on sale, and can be found even here in s. texas)

a long down coat (cut to the knees), that is rated to -40F

fleece leggings, long tunic sweaters, big wool scarves (she can wear it all as an outfit over her long underwear

a ski cap to wear on her head, under her hood on particularly brisk days

gloves--multiple pairs for different needs

In a few years, she'll be able to walk outside in 40F weather in a t-shirt and a pair of sweat pants in March and think it's warm, but that is not going to be true her first winter there

• Like 2

My nieces all wear lululemon leggings. They are at UVA, Kansas State, and Michigan State.

I'm quoting you again because a quick look at the Lululemon website reminded me that she needs leggings in short lengths, and they have them. I was just going to order fleece leggings off of Amazon or some such, and they would have been too long. I see Lululemon has a store reasonably close by, so I will check it out in person. She thanks you for this reminder.

• Like 1

You're getting advice from northerners about northern winters.  Trust me that coming from the south and going north is a special circumstance.

Ha, that is what I keep telling her!  She is relatively immune to southern "cold," hence the year-around shorts, but the cold, wet stuff up there is going to be something else entirely.  On one of our visits, some other parents kept talking about "lake effect snow," like we're all supposed to know what this is.  I finally interrupted them to get them to explain.  It reminds me of that book we all read about 20 years ago--Smila's Sense of Snow, which takes place in Denmark, and the introduction is all about different Danish words for snow. I lived in Alabama at the time and could not relate.

I'm quoting you again because a quick look at the Lululemon website reminded me that she needs leggings in short lengths, and they have them. I was just going to order fleece leggings off of Amazon or some such, and they would have been too long. I see Lululemon has a store reasonably close by, so I will check it out in person. She thanks you for this reminder.

They will hem to fit, if you buy in store. Expensive, but they have been well worth it.

• Like 1

Girls on campus wear jeans and leggings.  Lots of leggings.  So it will depend on what your dd will like to wear when she's cold.

Boots. Boots are popular.  It's always good to have a pair of those duck style boots. They may only get pulled out when it's slushy outside, but what she'll find, is that no one will seem to own or wear then until the weather's bad, then all her from the north friends will pull them out. :D  

Boots in general are popular, some nice high or low cut leather boots should work.  They can be worn with leggings or jeans.

Of course, it depends on her.  My dd wears sneakers when it's really cold, otherwise she wears flip flops.  She has hot feet. :)

She'll need a good coat.  Not a huge parka, but something light, warm, and can add layers underneath.  Obviously a hat, ear warmers, gloves, warm pjs to lay around in are also good. 

For now, I would get a few key things, then next Christmas you'll have a better idea what she's lacking, because she will let you know.:P 

• Like 2

If it makes you feel any better -- We're in NC. DS19 is attending a university in our mountains, in a town known for having much more New England-like winters than the milder winters in the rest of the state (blizzard conditions are not uncomon). At his orientation the only people who seemed concerned about the winter weather were a student and her parents who were from . . . Minneapolis. And they seemed to be *really* concerned. No idea why. You'd think they'd be familiar with cold, snowy weather.

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better -- We're in NC. DS19 is attending a university in our mountains, in a town known for having much more New England-like winters than the milder winters in the rest of the state (blizzard conditions are not uncomon). At his orientation the only people who seemed concerned about the winter weather were a student and her parents who were from . . . Minneapolis. And they seemed to be *really* concerned. No idea why. You'd think they'd be familiar with cold, snowy weather.

Well, parts of MN get cold but don’t get much snow every year.
  • Like 1

I'd wait until the weather starts changing once she's at school. She might acclimate easily- I don't know anyone living in Atlanta who wears shorts year round. She might just not need more than a decent hat, coat, gloves, and boots.   She for sure won't want long underwear because she'll roast when she's inside. 

It's getting into the 30's and 40's at night now in Atlanta and it's not even winter yet. So really, she might just not be bothered by the cold if she can tolerate this wearing shorts. 

College girls everywhere I've lived in the northeast and NY/PA wear leggings and mid-calf leather boots from September to April. Bogs boots are really cute for actual snow and slush. I second the Patagonia idea... the BetterSweater fleece jackets are really popular. I have one and it's awesome! Hoodies, scarves, cute hats are all necessary. 

She's going to have fun with a totally new experience! I'm a bit jealous :)

• Like 1

I went to college in OH after growing up in a state that was actually colder, and the wind was a really big adjustment. I begged for a windproof coat for Christmas after my freshman year, even though I had worn my "regular" winter coat in super cold weather at home (well below zero). The wind cut right through it.

She might want extras of hats/earwear and gloves--if you aren't used to owning them, it's probably easier to leave them places by accident. I try to keep mine folded in my coat pockets, or if they are bulky enough to not slip out, I sometimes shove them in the sleeves of my coat when I hang it up.

• Like 1

I'll second the duck boots.  Even my 7yo has a pair he practically is living in right now.  I snagged them on sale, thankfully, but he got those for late fall/early spring and snow boots for winter.

If she wants something that is somewhat nicer looking, L.L. Bean has a full range of winter boots.  The tall, grey wellies are on my list for next year. :)  They tend to run slightly big - but not a big deal with winter socks.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! I made the lululemom clerk’s day yesterday. She thanks you as well. The Bettersweater looks like it will be a promising addition, and grandparents are getting her a down vest. I am waiting on boots so she can try them on (short legs, muscular calves, latex allergy—boots are hard), and I have gloves, socks, and headgear on order. I will pick up some long sweatshirts to keep the wind off of her behind and then fill in in the fall. I appreciate all of the recommendations to wait for next year, but I am concerned that she will have no time. She will be training super-hard, and her visits home will be short—a couple of days at Thanksgiving and a week, tops, at Christmas. I really want her outfitted for her first semester now, while we have time to try on and return. I am excited to see how she adapts!

• Like 2

My daughter says everyone on her campus wears long parkas on cold, windy days.  She wears a North Face the rest of the time.  Umbrella and rain jacket.

We found some thicker, warmer leggings that work well at TJ Maxx.

My daughter is hard to fit and these boots work well:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/1013971-11.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInqT_wM7c1wIVxF9-Ch225AyAEAYYAiABEgJue_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Slippers for the dorm room/apartment.

I'd also set aside funds for school sweatshirts, tshirts, etc

• Like 1

Latex free boots = Kamiks.

I just called/emailed all of the major retailers. Kamik is one of the few makers of truly latex free winter boots.

Wow, thanks for this info.  Hers is not a super-intense latex allergy, but we still try to avoid unnecessary exposure so that it doesn't become one.  This will be very helpful.