What's with the ads?

Photo

Happens every freaking year: 6 weeks in, throw elaborate plans out window and start from scratch.

53 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#51 Lori D.

Lori D.

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11912 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

-dropping Shakespeare in the original language in favor of a children's adaptation (Nesbit).

Enjoyed your update. Great tweaks! :)

re: Shakespeare

Also take a look at the children's adaptations of Shakespeare by:

Leon Garfield

Geraldine McCaughrean

Usborne Illustrated Stories from Shakespeare

As well as the comic-strip type of presentation by Marcia Williams:

Tales from Shakespeare

More Tales from Shakespeare

Children often enjoy re-reading these on their own, or at least re-absorbing the stories from the illustrations. ;)

--Readalouds have gotten squeezed this year...

--Project based learning and interest led learning. I have this ideal of doing more projects and designing our studies around my kids' interests... We do small projects / interest led learning, but no huge, overarching things...  They are involved in a maker club...

--History. History is really book-based in our house this year. Not a lot of hands on...

re: read-alouds

What about incorporating a few audiobooks as the family read-alouds? Then everyone can listen while making/eating lunch, or while in the car moving from one activity to the next, or running errands.

re: History

Can you do a slightly shortened schedule every other Monday (so, 2x/month), and plan on using that time (say, 90 minutes) for a hands-on History activity or project?

re: project-based/interest-led learning

My DSs just weren't wired to do this naturally -- to come up with big, overarching ideas of things they wanted to pursue on their own. (Well, I take that back -- along about 8th grade, DS#1 go into making videos and animated short films, so we included time for him to explore that.) I settled for giving them exposure to things like soldering and electronic kits. Or they would go to a homeschooling friend's house and make their own weapons out of foam and duct tape. Sounds like their Maker Club are giving your DC exposure to ideas, and more will "rub off" on them from other kids and outside activities, so I wouldn't worry too much about this -- you've already in your schedule that IS "checking this box". :)

• JHLWTM and okbud like this

#52 theelfqueen

theelfqueen

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1717 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

I just today made a random decision to drop a novel from each of my kids' Fall plans. I was just staring at the plans feeling a bit of overwhelm and decided to move up the next novel instead and drop something to make some breathing room. 

#53 Free Indeed

Free Indeed

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

I have been at this 18 years and things still never go as "planned". I had better success rate when the kids were all younger! 😂

#54 klmama

klmama

Busy Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5622 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Year 16 here, and I always have to reduce my plans.  Of course, my yearly plans are always enough for 2-3 years, so reducing them down to just one year's worth of work can feel like a failure when it's actually more than enough.  I suspect a lot of the rest of you are in the same boat.

• Jungle Mama, okbud and Spudater like this