Menu

Chicken enchiladas

Night Elf

For Mexican type meals I cook it in the crock pot, then shred it. I use what I need and freeze the rest in meal-sized portions. Here's my easy, go-to recipe:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 cup salsa

1 pkg taco seasoning

I can tomato sauce

Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred. :)

• Like 1

I usually simmer on the stove and shred but I had some really good chicken enchiladas made with grilled chicken and I've used leftover cubed grilled chicken a few times. It's a different taste and texture but really good. And I'm always looking for more things to do with leftover grilled chicken!

I cook up 3-5 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts at a time in my crock pot and then freeze individually for when. I need cooked chicken For Mexican meals, soups, casseroles, chicken and dumplings, etc.

I do similar, though now I tend to use the instant pot and chicken thighs, or a mix of breasts and thighs.  I portion it out for freezing (1 cup, 2 cups, etc, wrapped up and put in a ziplock).

I think cooking it in a skillet and then cubing it will give you dried out meat when you reheat it.  That's been my experience, anyway.

• Like 2

I cook up 3-5 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts at a time in my crock pot and then freeze individually for when. I need cooked chicken For Mexican meals, soups, casseroles, chicken and dumplings, etc.

Me too (well, not the crock pot part -- I usually just poach a big lot so I can use whatever seasoning I want).  For some reason frozen-then-thawed chicken seems to be super-easy to shred, much easier than freshly-cooked chicken no matter what the method.  

I also can cube the simply-poached breasts for pasta recipes or throw them into curries or ratatouille.  Very handy to have on hand.

Edited by Pam in CT

I bake it for about 25 minutes (just until it is "mostly" cooked through), then I set it off to cool. After they've cooled enough to touch, I shred it and finish cooking it in a skillet with butter and/or olive oil until it becomes a bit crisp (personal preference there, though).

How do you cook your chicken for enchiladas? I was thinking of using the crockpot so I could shred it. The recipe says to cook in a skillet until it's not pink anymore and then cubing it.

For enchiladas? I'd do crockpot and shred.

Crockpot shredded sounds great. I usually poach a couple of chicken breasts if I cook the chicken myself, but buying a rotisserie chicken works great too. That way I have a couple of drumsticks to give to my picky eater who won't touch the enchiladas.

I'd shred.  My family dislikes cubed chicken and prefer I shred it for things.  It's easier to eat and easier to prep, especially if you use your stand mixer to shred.

How do you do this?

I'm having chicken enchiladas tonight. I drained two cans of Aldi cooked chicken, and shredded 1/2 pound of cheddar, plus some scraps of Monterrey jack and mozzarella, used the small flour tortillas and a can of Aldi enchilada sauce. We're having work done in our bathroom, and I was cobbling together dinner from what I had in the pantry since I didn't do the grocery shopping this weekend.

They will be tasty, even if not very authentic.

Mostly, they are cheese.

Cheese is good.

Very very good. :D

I don't understand the need for a mixer to shred chicken. When I cook mine in the crock pot it almost falls apart. A fork and very minimal effort are all that's needed. Why would I need a mixer and all the extra clean up?

(Edited because I managed not just one but two typos in such a short post. Sigh.)

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 5

How do you do this?

I'm having chicken enchiladas tonight. I drained two cans of Aldi cooked chicken, and shredded 1/2 pound of cheddar, plus some scraps of Monterrey jack and mozzarella, used the small flour tortillas and a can of Aldi enchilada sauce. We're having work done in our bathroom, and I was cobbling together dinner from what I had in the pantry since I didn't do the grocery shopping this weekend.

They will be tasty, even if not very authentic.

Mostly, they are cheese.

Cheese is good.

Very very good. :D

I just throw it in my kitchen aid with the paddle attachment and turn it on.

• Like 1

I don't understand the need for a mixer to shred chicken. When I cook mine in the crock pot it almost falls apart. A fork and very minimal effort are all that's needed. Why would I need a mixer and all the extra clean up?

(Edited because I managed not just one but two typos in such a short post. Sigh.)

Because it's so much quicker for me to shred several pounds of chicken in the mixer (including the time to wash the bowl and attachment). If I have just couple of pieces, I'll do it by hand, but I'm usually cooking for 7 (and a couple of times a month for 20-40), including 4 active teen boys, so that's rare. Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 2