Menu

I need a costume ...

Chris in VA

I need some costume ideas to wear Thurs to my preschool class.

Ugggh.

This is hard, because I have so many limits:

I don't sew.

It has to be something they can recognize--so no "punny" costumes (like, Smarty candy all over your pants="Smarty Pants").

Nothing remotely scary. No pirates. (DARN.)

I have to be able to walk around in it and teach, so no boxes making the costume (like, a Lego with red solo cups--cute, but not going to work).

They don't recognize a lot of characters--even Ms. Frizzle or Mother Goose (sadly).

I am a large woman, with glasses. I don't think I can rock a princess dress and I don't really want to be a cat.

I don't have much $ at the moment, so it has to be made from things around the house.

I'd like to do the tree from Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, but they don't know it yet!

I would make a pretty hilarious fat Red Riding Hood...but, I want to be fairly attractive...and recognizable.

Is this possible? Can you help?

Dd16 has decided to wear two costumes for two different events. One is Peter Pan. Today we bought a large green shirt and green tights. She's cutting the shirt to have points on the bottom and sleeves. A brown belt and shoes. The problem is the hat. All she has is a Legend of Zelda hat which sort of looks like an elf hat. Her friend's grandmother sews so the friend thinks she can get the hat. I personally think it's too late and she'll just have to be Peter Pan without the hat. But even with the shirt being large, it's still really short like a mini-mini-skirt. I wish I could have found a large man's shirt that would have been longer.

Scarecrow:

Pants of any sort

Long sleeve shirt, flannel if possible

Hat, if possible

For straw get yellow/tan fabric or paper...cut rectangles that fit around wrists and ankles, cut fringe so that it sticks out of cuffs/hem...also tape "straw" around the edge of the hat and some sticking out between the shirt buttons

For the face use an eyeliner or whatever to make a stitched on triangle for the nose

Stitch/tape a crow to your shoulder or tuck it in the shirt pocket. Stores often sell crows for Halloween decorations or use a clip art crow peeking out of the pocket.

These are such good ideas!

Might go with the scarecrow. We are making one this week for the class--stuffing clothes with newspaper. I think dd has a crow, or maybe I can just do a blue jay (hey, it doubled as a parrot when we dressed up as pirates, could work! LOL...).

Some that may be easy to put together

Lumber jack - Flannel shirt, knit cap 

Mime  black and white pants/tops, white gloves

painter/artisit/ -  large white shirt and splatter on a little of every color of left over paint

50's style always a fun costume

hobo large clothes, smeared face, hat

Gypsy - long bright skirt, solid top, hair wrap, big earings

Go to the thrift store with $10 and see what you find!?

Inspiration may come when you see something.

Cats are an easy costume. All one color clothes, sweats work great, paper ears on a headband and a

tail from tights stuffed with socks. Face paint whiskers and a kitty nose.

Bumblebee or ladybug. Black pants with either a yellow or red top. Wings and a googly headband antennae (Pom poms on pipe cleaners if you can't find some already made).

Cat is easy too. Black pants and top, add a tail and ears on a cheap headband.

If you have gray pants and a top, you could be a bunny or a mouse.

So we talked about costumes at preschool yesterday. I asked each of my kiddos what they were going to wear for Halloween. Then I told them I didn't know about my costume yet. I said, "Maybe I should ask YOU what I should wear! Can you help me with some of your good ideas?"

At snack time, we discussed this--it was rather hilarious. I told them their ideas were so interesting, and I wanted to remember them, so I needed to write them down (modeling writing and showing a purpose for writing--*pats self on back for being a "good" preschool teacher... ;) ).

One said, "A Power Ranger!" He's going as a...Power Ranger.

One said, "A rotten apple!" She loves Snow White.

One said, "Teacher!" At least I think so. He has rather limited English. Cute as a button, though.

One said, "Batman!" He has limited English, too, but he knows ALL the superheroes. :001_smile:

One said, "Dress up like Rachel!" Rachel was sitting near her, and apparently, had on a rockin' outfit.

I love preschool. :D