Menu

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

So grateful I am not a picture poster....my avatar is my own feet taken by my own self.

Not much of a link poster, either.

In fact, I contribute nothing but raucous humor.  :D

Carry on.

I believe I speak for the entire Hive when I thank you for your generous contribution.  :cheers2: 

My avi is my dd9 when she was little and sweet. It's staying!

• Like 2

It seems a bit goofy to scramble around trying to delete so much. If it's so dire, why not just scrub it all and start fresh?

No!!!!

Please no.

I have been searching old threads today looking for the Hive's thoughts on cursive. I rarely post a new thread when looking for something; I usually try to hunt up an old thread. Only when really desperate, e.g. an ironing board (not found) and globe (found!). And a washing machine! But see, I didn't even need my own thread for that.

• Like 24

No!!!!

Please no.

I have been searching old threads today looking for the Hive's thoughts on cursive. I rarely post a new thread when looking for something; I usually try to hunt up an old thread. Only when really desperate, e.g. an ironing board (not found) and globe (found!). And a washing machine!

A thousand times yes! 

(Not hyperbole, either.)

• Like 9

Guest inoubliable

It seems a bit goofy to scramble around trying to delete so much.  If it's so dire, why not just scrub it all and start fresh?

Especially the way things get rehashed over and over here. From math curricula to current events. 

• Like 2

It seems a bit goofy to scramble around trying to delete so much.  If it's so dire, why not just scrub it all and start fresh?

Especially the way things get rehashed over and over here. From math curricula to current events.

It would be an incredible shame to see all of the interesting discussions and wonderful information get deleted.

People get upset when a few of their posts get deleted. I can only imagine how everyone would feel if the entire forum was erased.

• Like 18

Yup. Delete all the photos if necessary. I don't think that would be a big deal at all. But I search through the archives for info when I need it. And so many of the older folks don't answer anymore. The answers now won't necessarily be what they were if the question is asked again. New programs vs old, the experience of using them vs first impressions...

• Like 13

Yup. Delete all the photos if necessaey. I don't think that would be a big deal at all. But I search through the archives for info when I need it. And so many of the older folks don't answer anymore. The answers now won't necessarily be what they were if the question is asked again. New programs vs old, the experience of using them vs first impressions...

Not only don't answer, but can't. I can't tell you how many threads I've pulled up with lovely book suggestions from Moira, and words of wisdom from Kalanamak and Myrtle, and so on. 

• Like 35

Guest inoubliable

It would be an incredible shame to see all of the interesting discussions and wonderful information get deleted.

People get upset when a few of their posts get deleted. I can only imagine how everyone would feel if the entire forum was erased.

Oh, I know. 

Kinda like when a few posts in a group gets deleted with a vague reason of "rules", and then the entire group has to go because no one really knows what the rules are. 

:(

• Like 2

Guest inoubliable

What does the social group issue have to do with this situation? :confused:

Nothing, except that I was agreeing what a shame it would be. I think you must have read between lines that weren't there, my dear. 

Guest inoubliable

Sarcastic much? :glare:

I have no idea what you seem to be upset about.

Not at all. I was being kind. 

Seriously. 

I'm not upset, either. I was honestly just saying that I understood and was referring to a recent issue to illustrate the point. Good gods. 

Not at all. I was being kind.

Seriously.

I'm not upset, either. I was honestly just saying that I understood and was referring to a recent issue to illustrate the point. Good gods.

OK -- usually when you say stuff like "my dear," you don't mean it in a nice way.

Sorry to have misunderstood! :)

• Like 1

Guest inoubliable

Ok, now I'm completely confused.

Maybe we should just let this drop and get back to the original topic.

This must be serious, and I feel very badly for Susan. I hope everything works out OK for her -- and for the forum.

I just meant that it was sad I was taken sarcastically. 

*sigh*

• Like 1

I'm so sad the watermelon-eating T-rex pictures are going!

I uh . . . may have been responsible for posting one of those.  But when I click the link in my content, it says the page can't be found, so I'm guessing the thread was already removed?  It was the thread where the salvation of aliens was discussed <---- I can't believe I just wrote that sentence. 

• Like 7

I uh . . . may have been responsible for posting one of those. But when I click the link in my content, it says the page can't be found, so I'm guessing the thread was already removed? It was the thread where the salvation of aliens was discussed <---- I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

That was a good thread. :)

• Like 4

I am changing my avatar as a statement of solidarity, not because I'm afraid Evariste Galois would call this a hill to die on. Er, then again, maybe he would?!

I made it myself and my kids are unanimous that it's "neat" looking. Ahem. Original, not so much.

Hmmm, a photo of the front of your jumpsuit perhaps?

:D couldn't resist

• Like 1

I am changing my avatar as a statement of solidarity, not because I'm afraid Evariste Galois would call this a hill to die on. Er, then again, maybe he would?!

I made it myself and my kids are unanimous that it's "neat" looking. Ahem. Original, not so much.

This avatar makes me dizzy.  (ducks the tomatoes thrown...)

• Like 1

What? What jumpsuit? You mean...prison jumpsuit?

Oh no you didn't.

Did I just send the thread downhill? However will we salvage things without posting pictures of kilts and cupcakes?!?

(and actually I quite like your new avatar, I will at least know who you are when I see it. I don't know how I will keep track of who is who with all these changes).

Under My Settings, Manage My Attachments pulls up photos I've uploaded, but I don't think that included things that are based on a link using the little tree picture when posting.

Ooh, thanks, I found the girls in the dresses that barely cover the rear from old books; I think the threads are long gone but I never knew how to get rid of these! What's left is some photos I took with a digital microscope!

Re the avatar, I went for obvious, maize. I think we match, conceptually.

• Like 1

WAIT! you mean MG kitty might have to go? EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY! Now to scour the web and see if it is one I can keep or not.  And to search posts to see what I have that may also need to go.  I don't care about things I may have posted, but I don't know how I am expected to say goodbye to MG kitty.

• Like 8

As a techie person, I'm not exactly sure what the point is here. The people who care enough to read this thread are spending ages going through their old posts cleaning them up. But even if they all do, you'll still have a huge portion of offending posts remaining. Lots of those posts will belong to people who have left, or people who can't be bothered, or people who didn't read the thread. I appreciate the idea and on a smaller forum it might work, but here, you have a small group of people spending ages going through their threads for what seems like nothing since you'll still have plenty of content left on the board from people who did not.

I can understand a 'from now on' or a wipe of previous posts by the mods

But to ask people to spend their time going through and deleting things from a huge history of posts, when there will still be a LOT left when they're done, seems ridiculous and unfair to me.

Just my 2c

• Like 5

Probably more of an issue: on a thread with my list of short story/essay recommendations, I posted a few of the harder to find stories.  I intended them just to be up for a day or two, but I didn't make it back in time and the editing window of opportunity was much shorter then.  [since they're hard to find I had wanted those interested to be able to glance over them before trying to track them down.] I tried to PM a moderator, but I'm sure it was a very low priority issue.

One of the stories (The Eclipse) is in the public domain, but one was by Daphne du Maurier and would definitely be under copyright restrictions.  I think there were two or three others, but my forum searching skills are near non-existent.

These threads are from the archive, and I'm unable to open them.  They do contain the word 'Eclipse,' so perhaps one of them contains what you're looking for, Eliana.

Need some short story ideas

I've updated the links for my short story/essay list

World Literature

Help! What is the name of the secular literature program,...

Regards,

Kareni

No!!!!

Please no.

I have been searching old threads today looking for the Hive's thoughts on cursive. I rarely post a new thread when looking for something; I usually try to hunt up an old thread. Only when really desperate, e.g. an ironing board (not found) and globe (found!). And a washing machine! But see, I didn't even need my own thread for that.

Agreed! I always go back to old threads looking for the Hive's thoughts when I'm planning the new school year (or having trouble). Plus, some of the less *reverent* threads can still make me laugh years later.

And, the voices of those no longer with us. I'd hate to lose their presence here.

• Like 5

Maybe this is a stupid idea and someone can tell me why it is a stupid idea. But people would presumably like pointers to possibly problematic posts*, without the inefficiency of having them be first reported to Susan. What if we "like" posts that we notice might have problems? Then the poster can go immediately to her post and decide if she needs to edit something. People can avoid having entire posts deleted, and we get the efficiency of crowdsourcing problem detection. Plus lots of people get bonus "likes."

*sorry, it's getting alliterative in here

• Like 11

As a techie person, I'm not exactly sure what the point is here. The people who care enough to read this thread are spending ages going through their old posts cleaning them up. But even if they all do, you'll still have a huge portion of offending posts remaining. Lots of those posts will belong to people who have left, or people who can't be bothered, or people who didn't read the thread.

I have had periods when I didn't visit the forum for weeks or even months; I am sure I'm not the only one.

I am relying on my memory and my habit of getting graphics from wikipedia and not posting kilt photos or whatever, but the initial request not to post any text that's not mine and remove it if I did, for example, is overwhelming. I've posted tons of short excerpts, including just phrases, that weren't mine, but were clearly attributed to their source, and I go out of my way to include URLs. But if it's huge swathes of texts, or copies from other sites, or photos of celebrities, or scans of book pages, or whatever, maybe it could be located if we knew what was problematic, but if SWB can't say, then it's really hard to know if we can remove the offending items. I have been posting on here for a while and I have just lost track. But I am concerned because this site is such a valuable reference, that I want to do something useful.

Is it just celebrity photos from recently?

• Like 1