Menu

What is it about the D'Aulaire books that rubs me the wrong way?

Ewe Mama

I feel like I am going to get flamed, but I just have to ask...

What do YOU like about the D'Aulaire books, specifically?

I feel like I'm going to get my Hive membership revoked because I really just don't like them. I was all set to use Early American History by Beautiful Feet until I actually started reading the books. They just...annoy me and I can't articulate why. That or I'm in denial and refuse to articulate why. :D

I want to like them. I try to like them. I just can't do it.

Most people seem to love them.

They are used in almost every American History curriculum available for younger kids.

They are always being held up as the quintessential children's history books, especially among the CM'ers.

Most people gush about them and I...just want my money back. I feel positively unAmerican.

Flame away.

Man, I dunno. Some people ...

Nah, I'm kidding. If you loathe them, totally don't use them. There are things that other people rave about that I look at and say "Huh? I'd rather gouge my eyeballs out than try to use that book."

I like their mythology books a lot lot lot, but I wasn't as enamored of the American ones.

I only have one D'Aulaire book...its about Abraham Lincoln.  I felt pretty neutral about it.

But I wanted to comment because...there was a really long thread here about this very same topic, lol.  Some folks find the D'Aulaire books to be downright terrible.  If you did some searching, you might be able to find it (I'm terrible at finding past threads).  

Man, I dunno. Some people ...

Nah, I'm kidding. If you loathe them, totally don't use them. There are things that other people rave about that I look at and say "Huh? I'd rather gouge my eyeballs out than try to use that book."

I like their mythology books a lot lot lot, but I wasn't as enamored of the American ones.

If I loathed them, it would be a no-brainer. I just don't like them and I feel like I'm supposed to, out of a sense of duty or obligation. It's totally bizarre. They're supposed to be good for us, like eating cooked spinach or something.

Joy really likes the Greek myths book, but that's not a topic I'm naturally drawn to.

If I loathed them, it would be a no-brainer. I just don't like them and I feel like I'm supposed to, out of a sense of duty or obligation. It's totally bizarre. They're supposed to be good for us, like eating cooked spinach or something.

Yeah, well, eating plain cooked spinach is like eating a wet mop and I refuse to do that either. Not happening unless it's covered with cheese or butter or cooked into an omelette ;)

But anyway, life is too short to use books you don't like when there are alternatives. Honestly, at this age I think the history covered should be what gets YOU and your kids excited about history and the past. I loved reading the Childhoods of Famous Americans series at that age.

This is exactly how I feel. I didn't like them at all. Keep in mind I first read the American history books 5 years ago, when I was preparing for DS11's 1st grade year, but I have a fuzzy memory of the George Washington and Abraham Lincoln books having vibe I didn't care for. I also don't like Ben and Me by Lawson, mostly because that mouse talks like Ben Franklin was an idiot. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think you'll get flamed. I've heard this comment often. I'm not very familiar with them. I guess I missed the memo that said I was supposed to have anything to do with them. ;) We read George Washington years ago and I don't remember much either way. My kids really liked the Greek Myths one...

I purple fuzzy heart love the Greek myths one but have no experience with the others. In fact, I love it so much that I bought a second copy for us to keep when I sell the SL Core it came in. :D

If you purple fuzzy heart love the Greek myths one you might consider the Norse myths one. I loved that even more -- so much that for my second grade Halloween party I insisted on dressing up as Thor. Nobody outside my family knew who I was, but by golly I was Thor. I had a hammer (my father's mini sledgehammer spraypainted silver) and thunderbolt (made of construction paper and gold glitter) and everything.

If you purple fuzzy heart love the Greek myths one you might consider the Norse myths one. I loved that even more -- so much that for my second grade Halloween party I insisted on dressing up as Thor. Nobody outside my family knew who I was, but by golly I was Thor. I had a hammer (my father's mini sledgehammer spraypainted silver) and thunderbolt (made of construction paper and gold glitter) and everything.

Cool. :D

Now we need photo proof, Kiana-Thor!

I will definitely order the Norse book for the kiddos!

I like the Greek and Norse myths, but when I pulled the George Washington one I inherited from my (79 year old) mother off the shelves....

No. Just no.

I like the myths one but not the others. I tend to dislike very old history books. IMO, the older history books tend to be less politically correct in every way. I'm not the champion of PC language, but when I teach my kids, I want things to be fairly neutral. 

I agree.  I don't loathe the books, but I find them very "meh".  I much prefer A picture book of... or books by St. George for early elementary level. 

Me not liking the d'Aulaire books as well as the Little House series has definitely put me on thin ice.  I'm bound to get the letter that my homeschool club membership has been revoked any day now.

They are old therefor the assumption is that they are good.  But they are not.

I'm usually one to call "junk!" at the books that are revered just because of their vintage, but I love the D'Aulaires' two mythology books (I like the illustrations for the history ones, but the text is really factually incorrect so I can't get behind that really).  I think the sheer colorful joy of the illustrations, as well as their detail and sense of movement is a large part of the love.  I think the text in the myth books tells the stories with all their weirdness and strangeness yet in a way that's relateable to kids.

From Michael Chabon's preface to the Norse myths book (something that everyone who loves these books or is unsure about their value should consider reading - you can see the whole thing from the Look Inside on Amazon):

The d'Aulaires capture all of this [the darkness of the stories], reporting it in a straightforward, fustian-free, magical-realist prose that never stops to shake its head or gape at marvels, freaks and disasters, making them seem all the stranger and the more believable.

This is exactly how I feel. I didn't like them at all. Keep in mind I first read the American history books 5 years ago, when I was preparing for DS11's 1st grade year, but I have a fuzzy memory of the George Washington and Abraham Lincoln books having vibe I didn't care for. I also don't like Ben and Me by Lawson, mostly because that mouse talks like Ben Franklin was an idiot. :tongue_smilie:

There's some funny reviews on Amazon by kids who read Ben and Me and/or adults who read that book as kids that state they can't shake the idea that Ben is an idiot. Lol.

Now the cover of the George Washington D'Aulaire book bothers me. I listened to Ron Chernow's biography about George Washington this year to prep for Early Modern History this fall, and just cried through some of the parts that dealt with him and his slaves. So seeing what looks like a house slave on the cover all excited to see his master home makes me ill. I do like their mythology books, Leif Erikson, Columbus, and plan on using Ben Franklin this fall. It's the illustrations. They strike a chord in me. :)

I want to like them. I try to like them. I just can't do it.

My boys think the greek and norse books were boring when they read them. The illustrations were pretty. They prefer Rosemary Sutcliff and Geraldine McCaughrean.

ETA:

My boys enjoyed "Ben and Me" for literature. They treat it as a satire and had a good laugh. It is fiction afterall.

I feel the same way about Ben and Me! What my eight year old took away from that book was that a mouse was responsible for Franklin's ideas. That book is the whole reason we don't read historical fiction any more, at least for now.

As for D'aulaires, the pictures are lovely but I definitely prefer the myths. We also have Leif the Lucky, which we liked, and I did like how thorough the Abraham Lincoln book was, but I'm on the fence at the moment as to whether we will read any others. A book about Pocahontas from the mid-20th century just scares me, although I haven't seen it yet. The history books are too detailed for my 7 year old and too simplistic for my 4th grader so for now, we aren't using any besides Greek Myths.

But definitely use what works for you!

I was introduced to them when I was a kid - specifically the Abraham Lincoln book (which was read out loud to my 1st grade class by a substitute teacher) and the Greek mythology book which I discovered myself at the school library.

I LOVED them. I remember LOVING the Abraham Lincoln story and also remember pouring over the pictures in the mythology book. I really wanted a copy of the mythology book for my own, but never got one (until I grew up and rediscovered it!). 

When I found them again as an adult I remembered the pure joy I experienced with those books and thought I'd go ahead and use them in our homeschool. I used almost every single one of the D'Aulaire books with my kids and they will remain on my shelf for my grandkids. My kids enjoyed them but probably didn't love them like I did. I attribute this to the fact that they were exposed to hundreds and hundreds of history books so the D'Aulaire books just didn't stand out as much.

I think the reason why *I* love them so much is because of the illustrations more than the content, lol. I  like that the stories are easy to digest - a bit longer than the regular picture book, but not TOO long. Honestly though, it's the pictures that suck me in. I went and bought every book of theirs I could get my hands on due to those lovely, lovely pictures. I still have a few of their less popular books left to acquire (Trolls, Ola, etc.) and then my collection will be complete. ;-)

Wow--thanks for this! I was going to order them for American History but will get one from the library first. (And by that I mean I will likely just cross them off the list because we seem incapable of returning books on time, and these aren't on Overdrive.) ;)

I like the illustrations too, more so than the text.  We use them among other books.  I will say we just today started Art Through Children's Literature by Englebaugh, and the first lesson uses the Abraham Lincoln book.  It liked it better as part of an art study (pencil drawings and shading) than as a  history book.  :)

I have no opinion on them really but I do have a number of them on our book list for American History this coming year. I was going to browse through them at B&N before purchasing. What would be a reasonable alternative with more modern content and tone?

Jean Fritz's biographies? I think she's snarky. Does that qualify for a more modern tone? ;)

I have no opinion on them really but I do have a number of them on our book list for American History this coming year. I was going to browse through them at B&N before purchasing. What would be a reasonable alternative with more modern content and tone?

The David Adler Picture Book Biography series is a bit more modern in content and tone.  The pictures don't capture the same quality as the D'Aulaire books, and the books are a little drier, but they are shorter and can serve as a good introductory biography.  

http://www.davidaadler.com/the_picture_biography_series__holiday_house__9353.htm

I know that I am frustrated as an adult, trying to separate fact from fiction about the historical big wigs of our country. I know we are talking about children's books, but I would like there to be historical truth in what I teach them. These were real people, not mythological characters, who made mistakes and chose to do wrong things, while still accomplishing some very great things. I guess I want there to be more honesty about their lives so that later on, when they do learn that the American heroes' lives were not all sunshine and roses, they aren't totally shocked by it and so that they don't start doubting the validity of everything I am teaching them.

I guess that's why I like reading the Pathway readers with them. There are stories of the characters being kind and doing the right thing, but then there are stories where the same children make wrong choices and struggle with fears of others finding out what they have done, being punished, how others will feel about them, etc. There is room for being human, needing to learn and grow through right and wrong choices.

Are there history books like that, written for younger children, that applaud the good but also take the time to acknowledge the bad, perhaps by talking about how their choices fit in with that time period, but because of the way we understand (whatever topic) today, we need to consider what different choices we might make if we were in that position ourselves?

Just thinking out loud...

I feel the same way about Ben and Me! What my eight year old took away from that book was that a mouse was responsible for Franklin's ideas. That book is the whole reason we don't read historical fiction any more, at least for now.

As for D'aulaires, the pictures are lovely but I definitely prefer the myths. We also have Leif the Lucky, which we liked, and I did like how thorough the Abraham Lincoln book was, but I'm on the fence at the moment as to whether we will read any others. A book about Pocahontas from the mid-20th century just scares me, although I haven't seen it yet. The history books are too detailed for my 7 year old and too simplistic for my 4th grader so for now, we aren't using any besides Greek Myths.

But definitely use what works for you!

Curlymom,

This has nothing whatsoever to do with your post, but I had to tell you that your avatar picture looks exactly like the dog I had when I was growing up! I was reading through the thread and when I saw the picture, I wondered why a picture of my old dog was on the boards. :)

Wow--thanks for this! I was going to order them for American History but will get one from the library first. (And by that I mean I will likely just cross them off the list because we seem incapable of returning books on time, and these aren't on Overdrive.) ;)

Just read it while you are at the library. It should only take a few minutes to know if you are One of the Chosen who Likes D'Aulaire Books. :D

I was introduced to them when I was a kid - specifically the Abraham Lincoln book (which was read out loud to my 1st grade class by a substitute teacher) and the Greek mythology book which I discovered myself at the school library.

I LOVED them. I remember LOVING the Abraham Lincoln story and also remember pouring over the pictures in the mythology book. I really wanted a copy of the mythology book for my own, but never got one (until I grew up and rediscovered it!).

When I found them again as an adult I remembered the pure joy I experienced with those books and thought I'd go ahead and use them in our homeschool. I used almost every single one of the D'Aulaire books with my kids and they will remain on my shelf for my grandkids. My kids enjoyed them but probably didn't love them like I did. I attribute this to the fact that they were exposed to hundreds and hundreds of history books so the D'Aulaire books just didn't stand out as much.

I think the reason why *I* love them so much is because of the illustrations more than the content, lol. I like that the stories are easy to digest - a bit longer than the regular picture book, but not TOO long. Honestly though, it's the pictures that suck me in. I went and bought every book of theirs I could get my hands on due to those lovely, lovely pictures. I still have a few of their less popular books left to acquire (Trolls, Ola, etc.) and then my collection will be complete. ;-)

See, your joy and love for them is a beautiful gift. I get excited for you because you have that special bond and those memories from your childhood. I think that is big puffy heart wonderful.

I, too, like the length of the books.

We, too, love the Greek myths book. We, too, hate the other D'Aulaire books.

We've really enjoyed the David Adler Picture Biographies. I have some Childhood of Famous Americans books on our list for next year, along with some Who Was _____? books.

We read a book in which one character (a younger sister) says something about a mouse really having invented all those things and her older brother laughs at her -- maybe it's one of the later Eager books?

The troll one is totally weird, in a good way. The tone of the historical ones is too smug. But mostly the D'Aulaire illustrations remind me of Munsch's The Scream.

{deleted the images}

Edited by stripe

I think the text in the myth books tells the stories with all their weirdness and strangeness yet in a way that's relateable to kids.

I haven't read the American history ones, but this is just a perfect description.  I also loved Chabon's preface to the Norse myths volume.

I know that I am frustrated as an adult, trying to separate fact from fiction about the historical big wigs of our country. I know we are talking about children's books, but I would like there to be historical truth in what I teach them. These were real people, not mythological characters, who made mistakes and chose to do wrong things, while still accomplishing some very great things. I guess I want there to be more honesty about their lives so that later on, when they do learn that the American heroes' lives were not all sunshine and roses, they aren't totally shocked by it and so that they don't start doubting the validity of everything I am teaching them.

I guess that's why I like reading the Pathway readers with them. There are stories of the characters being kind and doing the right thing, but then there are stories where the same children make wrong choices and struggle with fears of others finding out what they have done, being punished, how others will feel about them, etc. There is room for being human, needing to learn and grow through right and wrong choices.

Are there history books like that, written for younger children, that applaud the good but also take the time to acknowledge the bad, perhaps by talking about how their choices fit in with that time period, but because of the way we understand (whatever topic) today, we need to consider what different choices we might make if we were in that position ourselves?

Just thinking out loud...

You shouldn't have to separate the fact from the fiction.  That's why I didn't read the historical ones to my kids.  We took out a couple of them from the library and looked at the pictures and didn't read them.  They're pretty appalling.  Just straight up wrong in many cases.

Both of these were mentioned above, but I'll second them...  the Jean Fritz biographies and the David Adler "A Picture Book Biography of..." series are both excellent.  Both have meaty text but that's accessible to younger readers/listeners.  Both give a pretty simple, this person was important, this is a hero of history sort of version, but without mythologizing, and with giving some of the flaws in an elementary appropriate way.  The only one that I would say is an exception, sadly, is the Paul Revere one by Fritz.  It's just the mythological version.  But the Sam Adams one is brilliant.

Additionally, there are some really great picture book biographies of the founders and of some later figures like Lincoln, which are just suburb.  A few that I recall for our US history study include...

George Washington's Teeth by Chandra (more for fun)

George vs. George (for upper elementary more)

Take the Lead, George Washington by Judith St. George

Worst Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud

Benjamin Franklin: An American Genius (with activities)

Dear Benjamin Banneker

How We Crossed the West (about Lewis and Clark)

Who Let Muddy Boots in the White House?

Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom

Abe's Honest Words

Lincoln and Douglas

Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books

Also, we loved the Betsy Maestro series, which isn't biographies, but is really great just about the time from European settlement up to the early republic.

I think you should separate the D'Aulaires' books into three categories:

* mythology (Greek, Norse, trolls)

* historical (Washington, Lincoln, etc)

* other fiction (Too Big, Two Cars, etc)

The book of animals is not in any of these categories, so maybe you need a fourth. Anyway, you could easily read some but not all. Just because you like the Greek myth book doesn't mean you have to use their presentation of history or read their picture books.

It's also important to realize some people strongly believe it's important to transmit a mythological message to their kids about US history. George Washington and all the rest must be presented as towering figures of inspiration, in a semi-religious fashion. The idea of a dirty underbelly offends some people. I don't want to get political, but I remember a big brouhaha over Michelle Obama and the idea of being proud of the country.

I didn't find the thread I remember about not feeling the love for D'aulaires. I did find:

D'Aulaire books a bit racist

and

Greek Myths take 2: NOT D'Aulaire!

As for myself, I've only read Abraham Lincoln & Leif the Lucky. Didn't care for them. (I dislike the illustrations just as much as I dislike the text.)

I dislike the audio version of D'aulaire's Greek Myths as well. I'd rather listen to brand-new-to-taking-lessons kids practicing their musical instruments for hours than the Greek Myths audio.

The first time I ran across D'Aulaires was when we studied Greek myths. After much contemplation (like you said, they seem well-liked), we used these instead. DD was only five at the time and I liked the feel of these better. (There's an audiobook for the second one, by the way.)

51jvJZTFhPL._AA160_.jpg51p3KOPAJ9L._AA160_.jpg

As DD has aged, I have grown to appreciate them more. We read the Columbus one this past year and DD enjoyed it. We will be reading many more this year for Early Modern history.  I think their popularly (especially with classical homeschoolers) comes from the fact that many of them are about subjects/people that can be difficult to find books about for young children even today. Take Leif the Lucky, for example. There just isn't much out there for elementary students. Also, the breadth of subjects is very good for the classical homeschooler. It's very easy just to buy the whole collection sight unseen and be done with it. You generally know what you'll be getting when you order.

While D'Aulaires' books aren't anything like Clyde Robert Bulla's books in tone, they serve as go-to books, just as Bulla's books do. Bulla also covers a span of subjects that are appealing to classical homeschoolers. You need something quick and reliable about a specific period, you look up D'Aulaires and Bulla.

Back to the feel of D'Aulaires' books. I can feel the authors' bias in the text. Perhaps that's what rubs you wrong way? It can be a bit uncomfortable for me too.

The D'Aulaires' Troll book makes for a great little read-aloud, FYI.

I absolutely adored the Greek Myths book as a child. When we were doing a pantheon of the gods in fifth grade, my hand shot up for Athena. I've never wanted to be anything so much in my life. I think I made a shield and Medusa's head for a breastplate out of cardstock. 

It wasn't until I was well into adulthood that I realized that the D'Aulaires' sanitized the myths a bit by referring to all of Zeus' conquests as his wives. The salty nature of the myths was completely lost on me as a kid, but now I see how adult most of those stories are. Hera's jealousy makes more sense too. I always imagined that they were polygamists and therefore it was somewhat unsporting of her to throw a fit every time Zeus took a new wife.