Menu

Greek Myths take 2: NOT D'Aulaire!

Aubrey

Please--don't hate me. I've been skimming this book this eve, &...well...the pub date is in the 60s. There was a particular style/tone to children's books at that time.

Maybe I'd like something newer.

I've looked at things recommended in other threads: I'd rather not do manga, the 3-book series...I forget what it's called--Oh My Gods--or something like that--looks fun, but won't fit this particular purpose. (It looks like it's more enjoyable once you've read the myths, not in place of reading them.)

Help!

I've looked at things recommended in other threads: I'd rather not do manga, the 3-book series...I forget what it's called--Oh My Gods--or something like that--looks fun, but won't fit this particular purpose.
It's manga :tongue_smilie: but Greek and Roman Mythology Vol. 1 by Cirro Oh has the best presentations of the cosmology I've seen for younger kids, hands down. We have all three volumes, and they have been well loved over the years. Perhaps this paired with McCaughrean's Greek Gods and Goddesses. (She has another volume of Greek myths, though it's not as good. Icarus is on the cover, but the book itself has more than one title.) Edited by nmoira

We did a study of the Greek Myths last summer and while we worked with the D'Aulaire book and supplements we also really enjoyed this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Greek-Childrens-Thrift-Classics/dp/0486288595/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307019198&sr=1-1-fkmr2

I also second the Usborne recommendation. We also enjoyed the Geraldine McCaughrean books. We used the audio version of the Greek Myths by McCaughrean while in the car.

This book is excellent. My boys adored it and we read it 3X, at least. It does not follow a typical timeline for myths, as the story follows a storyteller leaving his home to go to a storytelling festival in Troy. He stops in many places and tells a story for his travel, food, lodging etc. There is a decent amount of Greek geography included as well- if you follow the map of his travels. His surroundings or situation reminds him of a particular myth to tell.... it is really wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Atticus-Storytellers-100-Greek-Myths/dp/1842552791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307019469&sr=1-1

There appears to be a volume 2, audiobook only.

BTW, Amazon has the author's name wrong. It is Lucy Coats, not Lucy Goats. :tongue_smilie:

Edith Hamilton's Mythology is not fancy, only black and white pictures, but she does have a chronological order to the myths and they have good flow to them, reading like a fairy tale, which to me is an improvement over D'Aulaire. They are not as simple as D'Aulaire, however. The language is more complex and she often includes some verse. She has a poetic way of saying things, which I find engaging, but you would need to see for yourself if your children would be able to follow it.

My husband has the Edith Hamilton book. We'll use it when the kids get older, but DH likes to refer to it during his dad-time with the kids.

We have d'Aulaires on audiotape that was given to us by friends. (I rabidly dislike both the book & the audiotape. My #2 dd loves audiobooks & she reverts to these whenever I don't have enough audiobooks from the library. I make sure she always has 10+ hours of CDs to listen to now so I don't have to listen to Greek Myths again. Ugh!)

Mary Pope Osborne's was better, IMO.

We liked Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tanglewood Tales, but it was written considerably earlier than the D'Aulaire one, so...:tongue_smilie:

Melissa

:iagree:

Charles Kingsley's "The Heroes" is another excellent older telling of some of the main Greek stories.

I don't like D'Aulaire books either. :) The hook that got my dd interested in Greek Myths was Michael Townsend's Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders. It's a hardcover comic book version of several myths. Quite funny, yet educational. Then I bought her Usborne's Greek Myths for Young Children, and she literally read through the whole thing in one afternoon, side by side with her Michael Townsend book to compare. I now own The Children's Book of Myths and Legends retold by Ronne Randall published by Barnes and Noble books. It has nice illustrations, but it covers more than just the Greek myths. It does major myths from many ancient cultures. It seems to be chronological, which you had mentioned.

Please--don't hate me. I've been skimming this book this eve, &...well...the pub date is in the 60s. There was a particular style/tone to children's books at that time.

Maybe I'd like something newer.

I've looked at things recommended in other threads: I'd rather not do manga, the 3-book series...I forget what it's called--Oh My Gods--or something like that--looks fun, but won't fit this particular purpose. (It looks like it's more enjoyable once you've read the myths, not in place of reading them.)

Help!

You might check out The Macmillan Book of Greek Gods and Heroes by Alice Low. It is not altogether different than D'Aularie's, but is less dated feeling and I prefer the rendering of the stories.

It might be just what you are looking for.

IMS there is another imprint of the same book (that is not Macmillan).

ETA: The current edition is the Simon and Schuster Book of Greek Gods and Heroes

http://www.amazon.com/Simon-Schuster-Book-Greek-Heroes/dp/0027613909/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Has anyone seen this one by Turnbull?

Some of the other ones you all have mentioned have only one review &/or no inside view &/or really high prices compared to other titles. Kind-of a big risk, kwim? Esp w/ D'Aulaires' here, knowing how popular it is & that I don't like it.

Part of me thinks HOW HARD CAN THIS BE? And then I remember I'm dealing w/ ME. :lol:

Oh, & the Osbourne one: title says Greek myths, but one of the reviewers complains that she uses the Roman names AND then gives lists of Latin cognates that she says come from Greek. :confused: I really only want good storytelling, but...

We've enjoyed Geraldine McCaughrean's versions of Greek Mythology. Here is one of her titles we like:

http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Myths-Geraldine-McCaughrean/dp/0689505833/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1306996691&sr=8-1

Well, I still stand by my post in the other thread. The Usborne is definitely not sixties style! (I think the artwork is gorgeous.)

:iagree:

These are our favorite two versions of the Greek myths for elementary kids.

Part of me thinks HOW HARD CAN THIS BE? And then I remember I'm dealing w/ ME. :lol:

Follow the link in my last post. Amazon has a good preview of the Alice Low book so you can get a feel for both the art and the fine writing style.

Better than D'Aulaire's

Bill

Follow the link in my last post. Amazon has a good preview of the Alice Low book so you can get a feel for both the art and the fine writing style.

Better than D'Aulaire's

Bill

I followed the link, & the editorial reviews weren't good (but weren't well-written, either--how can you say D'Aulaires is "venerable BUT still better"??? I think the reviewer must have thought "venerable" merely means "old.")

The TOC was disheartening, too--it may be a good book, but it doesn't cover the stories I'd like & a good portion the book or so is stories I *don't* want--we'll cover Odysseus separately.

Still, I've reserved a copy at the library. :001_smile:

I followed the link, & the editorial reviews weren't good (but weren't well-written, either--how can you say D'Aulaires is "venerable BUT still better"??? I think the reviewer must have thought "venerable" merely means "old.")

The TOC was disheartening, too--it may be a good book, but it doesn't cover the stories I'd like & a good portion the book or so is stories I *don't* want--we'll cover Odysseus separately.

Still, I've reserved a copy at the library. :001_smile:

Did you use the "Look Inside" feature?

There is a good preview. I disagree with the professional review (as do the user reviews) but you can decide for yourself. I prefer both the art and the writing in this volume to D'Aulaires. Let me know what you think.

Bill

There is a good preview. I disagree with the professional review (as do the user reviews) but you can decide for yourself. I prefer both the art and the writing in this volume to D'Aulaires. Let me know what you think.

Bill

I only looked inside at the TOC; since you recommended it & the library had it, I figured it was worth an in-person look. :D

I dislike the stilted condescending style of children's writing in the first half of the century so much that I can't imagine I wouldn't like anything else better. Why do people have to write as if they're annoyed to have to tell this story AGAIN & then run through the details so fast, as if it's a grocery list? :lol: (D'Aulaire's Pandora really bothered me.)

I only looked inside at the TOC; since you recommended it & the library had it, I figured it was worth an in-person look. :D

I dislike the stilted condescending style of children's writing in the first half of the century so much that I can't imagine I wouldn't like anything else better. Why do people have to write as if they're annoyed to have to tell this story AGAIN & then run through the details so fast, as if it's a grocery list? :lol: (D'Aulaire's Pandora really bothered me.)

I wish I knew of something even better. And will keep an eye on this thread for suggestions. While not "perfect" I prefer Low to D'Aulaire.

We did enjoy the Rosemary Sutcliff adaptations of Homer, "Black Ships Before Troy" and "Adventures of Odysseus" and are now reading Padraic Colum's excellent "Children's Homer."

Bill

Well, I still stand by my post in the other thread. The Usborne is definitely not sixties style! (I think the artwork is gorgeous.)

We have this one. It really is nice (I have the smaller version) and the artwork is lovely. My ds has been seen reading it off and on on his own since he was about 5 or 6.

We did enjoy the Rosemary Sutcliff adaptations of Homer, "Black Ships Before Troy" and "Adventures of Odysseus" and are now reading Padraic Colum's excellent "Children's Homer."

Bill

Yep, those are on my shelf, but I consider "Homer" to be different from "Greek myths." Splitting hairs, perhaps, but there ya go.

Another possibility might be Gods, Men and Monsters from the Greek Myths from the World Mythology Series, by Michael Gibson, illustrated by Giovanni Caselli. It was published in the 1980s, I believe, and it's out-of-print, but the illustrations are excellent, and I believe it covers all the fundamentals.

http://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Greek-Introduction-Stories-Goddesses/dp/B001A3PMB8/

Another possibility might be Gods, Men and Monsters from the Greek Myths from the World Mythology Series, by Michael Gibson, illustrated by Giovanni Caselli. It was published in the 1980s, I believe, and it's out-of-print, but the illustrations are excellent, and I believe it covers all the fundamentals.

http://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Greek-Introduction-Stories-Goddesses/dp/B001A3PMB8/

Thanks--it's on the library list, too!

We don't have the Greek myths volume, but the Egypt one is excellent... far superior to its only workable alternative at that level, Lancelyn Green.

Thanks--it's on the library list, too!

This does include the Trojan war and the wanderings of Odysseus though, if you noticed ;).

I'm saving this for future reference. I see some interesting books I would like to check out. I just put Gods, Men and Monsters on hold at the library, along with Alice Low's for now to check them out. Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I don't have the first clue what is or isn't good out there for Greek myths, in English. I still like the D'Aulaires ;) but when it comes to the Greeks :D the more options the better.

You people are awesome. After D'Aulaire, I thought I'd be hard-pressed to find something *acceptable.* Now I'm sitting here surrounded by books of Greek myths that are wonderful, in such different ways that I can't choose just one.

Thank you!

You people are awesome. After D'Aulaire, I thought I'd be hard-pressed to find something *acceptable.* Now I'm sitting here surrounded by books of Greek myths that are wonderful, in such different ways that I can't choose just one.

Thank you!

That's it? :D

Bill (who feels we deserve more than this :tongue_smilie:)

Bill

Not the best of them, but invaluable--it's the most chronological & complete of the ones I've looked at. Esp if it can be used in combination w/ one of the better-written ones, I'd say it's a keeper.

That's it? :D

Bill (who feels we deserve more than this :tongue_smilie:)

Sorry. :D

My favorite is Turnbull's Greek Myths. The writing is good, the stories are authentic and captivating. The order of the stories leaves quite a lot to be desired, though.

A close second is McCaughrean's Greek Myths. The order is much better than Turnbull's, & the style of the writing is more narrative & engaging for younger children.

Gods, Men & Monsters is worth a trip to the library for its pictures, but the text...is pretty dense.

Unfortunately, my kids picked up D'Aulaires first & love it. :lol: I'm pressing the others ones on them now for further analysis. ;)

These are the books I am planning on using with my 5th grader for part of a mythology study (he's also studying Egyptian and Norse mythology next year)

Favorite Greek Myths

The Mythology Handbook: A Course in Ancient Greek Myths

Heroes, Gods, & Monsters of the Greek Myths

Myths and Legends

Roman Myths & Legends

Tales from the Odyssey (Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus might work well too)

It's manga :tongue_smilie: but Greek and Roman Mythology Vol. 1 by Cirro Oh has the best presentations of the cosmology I've seen for younger kids, hands down. We have all three volumes, and they have been well loved over the years. Perhaps this paired with McCaughrean's Greek Gods and Goddesses. (She has another volume of Greek myths, though it's not as good. Icarus is on the cover, but the book itself has more than one title.)

Do you have the name or a link for the 3rd volume since Amazon seems to only carry the first two volumes?:001_smile:

Do you have the name or a link for the 3rd volume since Amazon seems to only carry the first two volumes?:001_smile:

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Roman-Mythology-Graphic-Novels/dp/9810527667/

I linked the first volume because that's the one I couldn't get to come up using Amazon's search engine. You'd think after all the time they'd been in business, products they sell (as opposed to used copies listed slightly differently) would at least come up using their search engine.