Menu

Mom Gadgets/Tools You LOVE?

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious: are there computers, kitchen tools, electronics etc. etc. (maybe even an awesome purse that works for a million mom things that make a mom's life easier?

I just read the iphone apps thread on here and it got me thinking.

Anything you wouldn't give up??

Alicia

Oh my...well...

I love the Desk Apprentice

any kind of scrapbooking gadget (I am addicted...I really want a cricut expression)

Kindle 2

Cole Haan Aerin Handbag in patent leather (I have 3 in black, white and marigold)

Cuisinaire appliances

Kirby vacuums

Netflix

Kid's series on DVD (we just got Liberty's Kids, Magic School Bus, and Animated Heroes!)

I love my Boye interchangeable knitting needle set. And my Garmin. And all my wonderful kitchen appliances and dodads, especially the stranger ones, like the ravioli form, and my new tongs. And the OvGlove...who knew it could be so nice? LOL.

Ria

Things that are just so convenient:

MacBook laptop with wireless home network

Skype for VoIP calls (free download for Skype to Skype calls worldwide; $3/month for calls to any regular landline or cell phone in the US & Canada from Skype. There is a free Skype app for the iphone/ipod touch, too.)

Roomba

slow cooker, rice steamer, bread machine (all with timers, so I can program them to finish cooking exactly when I want the food to be done)

KitchenAid with attachments! I can shred a block of cheese in like, 2 minutes! (Or make dough, or grind wheat, or chop vegetables... there seems to be an attachment for everything!)

Of course the biggies many of us are used to: washing machine, dishwasher, etc.

I am waiting for my cell phone contract to run out before I can get an iPhone, but I'm fairly sure that phone will be right up there on the list when I can get one... I do have an iTouch and it's already more convenient than any PDA I've ever owned.

The Kindle is a huge luxury, and it's very very convenient too... mainly because I don't have to wait before I can have a new book in hand, and I can carry a library of 1500 books around with me in my purse! I already pre-ordered the new The Well Trained Mind, and it will be automatically downloaded the day it is released at Amazon. Books are generally less expensive in e-book format. (But the Kindle itself is an expensive device. Maybe less expensive than buying more bookshelves and 1500 paper books, though :tongue_smilie: If there is a savings, it will definitely be a long term one.)

Baby Bjorn--true hands free cuddling!

Sling--for totin' those toddlers on your hip without breaking your arm (or for the sweet sleeping newborn.)

Cuisineart--still the best

KitchenAide--ditto

SunOven--to do slow cooking in the hot summer sun without any in house heat or smells to kill your appetite!

Addi Turbo knitting needles--so I can knit really, really fast!

All Clad braiser--for very large company meals perfectly cooked

Compost pile--good smelling very fertile soil for nothing

Meyer Lemon tree--those lemons hold on the tree all year round. Fresh whenever I want one. And a little less sour than store lemons

Billy bookshelves--because homeschoolers can never have too many sturdy shelves

Free clothing and stuff exchange--because garage sales and thrift stores are just too expensive. Besides, I usually get to give more than I take.

Rice cooker

Kitchenaid stand mixer

the Internet! :)

Dansko clogs

Haiku brand purses -- stylish, organized and pretty...but also really rugged

a good food scale for measuring when baking (lots of GREAT bread recipes are written in weight-only)

www.blueletterbible.org for online bible reading

Where have those Haiku brand purses been hiding. I LOVE them!!!

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722687725/page/1.html

Anything you wouldn't give up??

My internet connection. And hot showers.

Love my MacBook Pro and wireless internet. The internet is my primary homeschooling tool.

Love my iPhone. :D It's GREAT and does sooo many things.

Right now I'm feeling quite fond of Homeschool Potpourri in Kirkland, WA. I got some fabulous stuff there this past weekend. And no shipping!

ETA: Love my stereotypical minivan. We use that thing soooo many different ways.

This is sort of random stuff off the top of my head. I love:

Netflix - Since we have 3 little kids, it's hard to get out. This way, we can have "dates" at home after the kids go to bed.

Pampered Chef pizza stone (and other PC stoneware) - This thing is so versatile! We use it for everything from chicken nuggets to chocolate chip cookies.

My computer - I would be lost without it.

Cricut Expression - When I have time to scrapbook, this makes me about 10,000 times more efficient with my time.

DirecTV subscription - Without something to distract my kids from me once in a while, I would lose my mind. I love that there are "safe" channels like Sprout and things like programs recorded with the DVR that I can leave on if I need to wash my hair and I don't have to worry about what the kids are watching for 10 min.

Rainbow Resource catalog - This is my most-used curriculum purchasing resource. I love that practically everything has a lengthy review instead of just a picture and that I pretty much know I don't need to do an intense search to find the lowest price since they tend to beat everybody else.

The Well-Trained Mind - Reading this book has influenced the way that I teach more than anything else. It makes it so easy for me to see where we've been, understand that we are in a good place and that I am not failing if we spend a month doing nothing but reading and math, and have a clear understanding of where we are going. It has also helped me develop the tools I need to be the perfect teacher for my children. Still working on that perfect teacher thing, but at least I know what that looks like to me.

My favorite appliances are my Cuisinart Griddler and my Bunn thermal coffee maker. My griddler grills all sorts of things, inside, on the counter and the plates are dishwasher safe. The thermal coffee maker keeps water and coffee hot all day long.

I also love my iPod Touch, which can be played in my car, so we can listen to audio books and French lessons while driving around.

My MacBook is used every day. LOVE wireless networking!

When my kids were younger, my Maya Wraps. Until recently with the boys, our Mountain Buggy - truly the best stroller I could possibly imagine, though, in retrospect, a bright orange double stroller is not the best thing to push around unless you want to answer the "twin questions" every five feet. Ditto the Skip-Hop Duo diaper bag.

In the kitchen, I love my Kitchen Aid mixer. And I am nearly criminally envious of my friend's pot filler. Short moms who cook should not have to drag vats of water across the kitchen. (Also, I am very fond of my step stools, so I can reach stuff in the cabinets and stir the bottom of the stock pot)

Google Calendar - I can see mine and my husband's at the same time, color-coded, and it interfaces with my Blackberry. Oh! My Blackberry! I thought it was overkill for a stay-at-home mom, but it's GREAT! Among other things, I use it to email piano assignments to a friends whose girls come to piano with us, right from the lesson. And I love my Bluetooth ear piece - I can get a lot done on the phone if I'm hands-free.

Water in the door has saved me untold hours of drink fetching. Don't get me started on my washer and dryer.

(Oh, dear, do I have a gadget fetish or what? No, wait. They're TOOLS! :tongue_smilie:)

Here's another:

Fisher Price Potty On-the-Go http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L1496-Potty-On-the-Go/dp/B000K7IF1O My 5 yo uses this in the car, when necessary. Very sturdy. Love it.

It is not to be confused with the Kalencom/Potette On-the-Go Potty http://www.amazon.com/Kalencom-POTETTE-Go-Potty-Blue/dp/B000F1MM2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1240971107&sr=1-3 We tried this one first, but even for a 3.5 - 4 yr old, it was too painful to sit on (too small, with a rim instead of a seat).

Here's another:

Fisher Price Potty On-the-Go http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L1496-Potty-On-the-Go/dp/B000K7IF1O My 5 yo uses this in the car, when necessary. Very sturdy. Love it.

It is not to be confused with the Kalencom/Potette On-the-Go Potty http://www.amazon.com/Kalencom-POTETTE-Go-Potty-Blue/dp/B000F1MM2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1240971107&sr=1-3 We tried this one first, but even for a 3.5 - 4 yr old, it was too painful to sit on (too small, with a rim instead of a seat).

I agree!! Those portable potty seats are priceless! It has saved us from many emergencies. And I even use it for restrooms that are too "icky." We just go out to the van for a potty break. And we use it while camping as well.

Like you, we started out with the On-The-Go Potty and my DD would always say how much it hurt to sit down on. So then we got this one: http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=361755&parentCategoryId=85193&categoryId=85251&subCategoryId=86245&PIPELINE_SESSION_ID=f016bef57f0000016babd8c6cf50b84d

It slides right under the seat in our van.

My Centuro Palm phone is the single biggest innovation that impacts my life in Every way!

Having my calendar with me at all time, alarms to remind me, note pads to organize my thoughts, Sudoku to entertain me, of course the phone to keep me in touch.....and soooooooooo much more. It is my brain's back up system.

I Love my laptop and wireless system, and use it for hours each day....but if I had to pick, I would go back to the desktop to keep my phone.

I thought of a few more:

• My Chef's Gelpro mats for the kitchen. I can stand and stand and stand without any sore legs. (I do 99% scratch cooking...because it's my hobby)
  • My neti pot (gross, I know, but it has saved me this week with a HORRIBLE sinus infection)
  • Ear plugs at bedtime
  • Our Subaru Outback wagon -- bye bye Expedition, hello good MPG, lower monthly payments and plenty of room for the 4 of us.
  • Method-brand natural and great-smelling cleaning and personal products
  • Blogspot/Blogger
  • Costco
  • Hanna Andersson kids' clothes -- buy for the older, pass on to the younger/s, and still have plenty of life in them to pass along to friends or sell on eBay!
  • When I was a mommy to babies:
    • the Baby Bjorn front pack
    • Cuisinart mini-prep food processor for homemade baby food
    • OXO brand ice cube trays with a sliding lid for freezing said baby food into one-size portions
    • Robeez baby shoes -- they stayed on my girlies feet better than socks -- important in REALLY COLD Almost Canada, ND where we lived prior to living in REALLY HOT Almost Mexico, AZ

• 1 month later...
1. My Palm Treo phone. Raising two little ones and running a business makes this thing a necessity! I'm getting the Palm Pre when it comes out and I can't wait!

My Centuro Palm phone is the single biggest innovation that impacts my life in Every way!

Having my calendar with me at all time, alarms to remind me, note pads to organize my thoughts, Sudoku to entertain me, of course the phone to keep me in touch.....and soooooooooo much more. It is my brain's back up system.

I Love my laptop and wireless system, and use it for hours each day....but if I had to pick, I would go back to the desktop to keep my phone.

bumping this thread because I just got the palm pre and have never had a palm before - how did I ever function before?!

I'm going to love this milk maker that Ibbygirl has convinced me I need!

http://www.soymilkquick.com/soyquicksoymilkmaker930p.php?tab=3

I also love my grain grinder, tortilla press and overlocker.

:)

Rosie- thinking Winnie the Pooh was right about anticipation, because her favourite is the one she can't afford just yet ;)

Edited by Rosie_0801

What - nobody's mentioned Circa yet? :D

Hmmm...I am so 19th century when it comes to techie stuff. Maybe some day I will catch up. I do have a personal copier which is very nice. I like my bread cutting board with the crumb tray - very handy. And my Panasonic toaster oven gets a lot of use. Our water cooler w/the refillable water jugs is good - the kids drink a lot of water that way and it's always nice and cold.

My creme brulee torch

KitchenAid mixer and toaster

Lodge cast iron pan

Maya wrap ring sling and Babyhawk mei tai sling

Bumbo

My antique Singer sewing machine--works great and it's easy to use

Our no-frills Mr. Coffee

Leatherman

Kecci diaperbag

Corelle dishes

Chicago cutlery

Farberware pans

Homemade wooden book-type shelves for my bottles of oil, vinegars and containers of dry goods

Homemade wooden knick-knack-type shelves for all my spices

SOS Sport solar oven

Schwinn double stroller

Canvas tote bags

Physician Endorsed Naples women's hat (super wide brim)

Honda Odyssey (or, if we still fit into it Subaru Forester)

Radio/CD player/tape player

Basics: :)

running water

dishwasher

clothes washer and dryer

gas stove

electric refrigerator

I like my Black & Decker mini food chopper. I use it for everything from chopping onions and bell peppers to making breadcrumbs.

I like the grinder attachment for my mixer because I can buy pot roast on sale and grind my own ground beef. The ground beef tastes better and I think it is safer to eat because I control the processing.

I like my Corelle dishes, but they discontinued the pattern, which I don't like. They don't break easily at all -- ours are still whole after a year -- the plain white versions will do when the patterns are discontinued, and they stack efficiently into a small space.

Ove Gloves are the best. They aren't pretty, but they work great -- the whole family loves to use them.

I also like the cloth bags the grocery stores sell to use in place of plastic ones. They are strong, cheap, and big enough to hold books, fold up small, and have many uses besides groceries. I just wish the grocery stores had prettier names to emblazon on the sides of the bags.

I like my router and the little doo-dad that plugs into the DC's desktop to enable it to receive a wireless signal.

My Timex Ironman watch. It's on my person 24-7, except for showers. I have a timer that I use often for kid stuff, a daily alarm to tell me when to head off to bed and an alarm to tell me when to wake up (not that I actually follow those times every day :tongue_smilie:)

Black and Decker cordless handvac. I keep it on my counter for quick clean-ups in the kitchen. I would love to find a dry/wet cordless handvac. Does one exist?

Canon all-in-one printer. How did I live without one for most of my life? It prints, scans, copies, and faxes...if only it would tapdance. My life would then be complete. :D

My electric toothbrush. There's nothing like getting a dentist-quality cleaning every morning and every night!