Menu

Do your kids say the Pledge of Allegiance for homeschool?

Do you have your kids say the Pledge of Allegiance for homeschool?  

1. 1. Do you have your kids say the Pledge of Allegiance for homeschool?

• Always
    • Never
    • Sometimes
    • We're not American
    • Other

I'm just curious as to how many people do this. My homeschool support group always start the montly meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance and I know some of the moms do this everyday in their homeschool. I'm just curious to know how many people actually do this and if you do why? I'd also be interested to know if non-American homeschoolers have a similar type tradition. Thank you to all who participate. :)

Jennifer

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, never. They say it at homeschool co-op on Fridays, but my son doesn't participate (he can if he wants...he just has chosen not to).

I'm still not sure what I'm going to teach about the pledge. I don't say all of it and I'm iffy about the whole idea surrounding it anyway.

Not American! I'd be shocked if anyone here was to sing the national anthem in their homeschool unless they were actively teaching it. Few people here even know the second, let alone third verse!

:)

Rosie- in the former colony populated by Poms with lazy patriotism genes.

Not American! I'd be shocked if anyone here was to sing the national anthem in their homeschool unless they were actively teaching it. Few people here even know the second, let alone third verse!

Rosie- in the former colony populated by Poms with lazy patriotism genes.

LOL "lazy patriotism genes" That just struck me funny. hehe Do Australians have a similar type of pledge or do you just sing the national anthem? Just curious. :)

Dd learned it when she was a baby. We have issues with the forced allegiance to a government thing for a kid who doesn't even know what she really wants to be when she grows up yet. Then there is the whole "Under God" thing simply because in recent history, that phrase has come to represent only one group's definition of God and we don't want to force our child to swear allegiance to them either. So we have never forced dd to say it.

Dd learned it when she was a baby. We have issues with the forced allegiance to a government thing for a kid who doesn't even know what she really wants to be when she grows up yet. Then there is the whole "Under God" thing simply because in recent history, that phrase has come to represent only one group's definition of God and we don't want to force our child to swear allegiance to them either. So we have never forced dd to say it.

I agree - I personally don't think the pledge belongs in lower grades. Once kids learn more (I am thinking teenagers at least), I think that is when they can say it the schools. (Also, I know it does still happen in SOME schools, but most schools nowadays recognize the fact that children have the right to NOT say the pledge.) I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching the kids the pledge, but I think that should be taught when you get to American history and explain the reason for it and its history.

We don't say it for home school. Recently, I read a good suggestion for those kids/parents that are very uncomfortable with "under God" an interesting, and I think a proper solution - saying "under law" instead.

By the way, I don't think it is unpatriotic nor unAmerican to decline in saying the pledge or national anthem either. Lip service does not a good citizen make. However, I see nothing wrong with people that are old enough to really understand what they are pledging saying it if they choose to.

We don't say it in our homeschool either, not for any particular reason, I just honestly don't even think about it. We start our day with breakfast and devotions and then seway (sp?) from devotions right into school. I know some ladies in my support group though that actually have an American flag in the corner and have their children put their hands over their hearts and say it everyday before starting school, the way we did growing up in PS. I think it is a wonderful thing to teach a child to be patriotic and to love their country and I wonder if I am being unpatriotic by not doing it??

I always disliked saying the pledge when I was in PS, mostly because I had to and the idea of saying a pledge to a flag seemed strange to me. I understand that it is about patriotism and that the flag is a symbol of our country, but the flag doesn't care if I say it or don't say it. I cannot say that saying the pledge everyday made me more of a patriot. To me, the national anthem is much more moving and I cannot sing it without getting misty eyed. I think learning about American history and the great sacrifices that ordinary citizens have made for this country goes much farther in instilling patriotism than saying the pledge.

I hope some of the people who do say it everyday will chime in here. I really want to hear your take on the issue. I feel like I am missing something in my understanding. Thanks. :)

LOL "lazy patriotism genes" That just struck me funny. hehe Do Australians have a similar type of pledge or do you just sing the national anthem? Just curious. :)

No pledges here. We are not bred to that kind of patriotism. In fact your question brought a leery look to my face, heheh. Americans do the hand on heart thing, Australians do not. Mum tried to make us stand up if the anthem was being played on tv (as it is before the AFL Grand Final) and we did that very slouchily and she gave up. We all sang the anthem at school assemblies on Monday mornings though the form changed. By grade 6 we knew it wasn't "Australians all are ostriches!" :lol:

Rosie

P.S: AFL is Aussie Rules football.

The UK is similar to Australia. Because of Britain's ambivalence about its former empire, expressions of patriotism are a sticky subject. In addition to this, the British flag (Union Flag) became very much associated with an extreme right wing racist party named The National Front, so its use (apart from on a few specific government buildings) is not common.

Best wishes

Laura

No pledges here. We are not bred to that kind of patriotism. In fact your question brought a leery look to my face, heheh. Americans do the hand on heart thing, Australians do not. Mum tried to make us stand up if the anthem was being played on tv (as it is before the AFL Grand Final) and we did that very slouchily and she gave up. We all sang the anthem at school assemblies on Monday mornings though the form changed. By grade 6 we knew it wasn't "Australians all are ostriches!" :lol:

Rosie

P.S: AFL is Aussie Rules football.

:) You crack me up Rosie. hehe sorry I made you have a "leery look". ;) :D I'm glad that you're not all ostriches. That would be really bizarre. ;)hehe

Peace.

We say the Pledge of Allegiance each day as well as the Pledge to the Christian flag and sing a patriotic song each day. It's the first thing we do and then onto our Bible studies.

Awesome! I was hoping to hear from someone who says the pledge. May I ask what your motivations are in saying the pledge everyday? For example, do you do it is as a sign of respect or to exhibit your own patriotism or to teach your children patriotism?? TIA for your reply. :)

We say it periodically, usually when one of the dc ask to say it.

The pledge, the national anthem, etc. has come to mean more to me and my dc since my son has been serving in the Marine Corp. We are more aware of the price others have paid throughout the history of our country. No matter what your political leanings are, those men who are serving are making enormous sacrifices for us every day.

Guest Virginia Dawn
We say the Pledge of Allegiance each day as well as the Pledge to the Christian flag and sing a patriotic song each day. It's the first thing we do and then onto our Bible studies.

What is the Christian Flag and its pledge?

I didn't see the "we're not American" option, for some reason, and voted 'never' ...

(We're Canadian so it would be kinda silly for us to say the American pledge thing)

We don't do the Canadian anthem or anything either though - we're not that formal.. the kids sing it at AWANA sometimes though, and they do know the words.

Besides, nobody wants me singing *anything* in this house. "Out of tune" doesn't even begin to describe it. :tongue_smilie:

I did for about a month or so, just long enough to teach my youngest the words. But we say the original pledge (before they added "under God" and such)

I do not make them say it, but we do stand up and put our hands over our hearts. We do the same for the national anthem. We also remove our hats, if we are wearing any. If another country's anthem is playing we will stand without our hands over our hearts to show respect.

No. I'm not comfortable with it. Only once a co-op did my children recite it. I told them it was their choice, but because everyone else (except their mom) was saying it, they did also. We should really have a discussion about it sometime, but it rarely comes up.

Janet

We say the pledge at home (not daily) and once a week at a co-op. We come from a very military family--almost all males have served--and I was in the Reserves for about 10 years. We also go to Memorial Day parades, 4th of July parades and show our love for this country every chance we get. We went to Washington DC last summer and watched the changing of the guards at Arlington. I want my children to be appreciative of the sacrifice of those who came before them and the freedoms they enjoy. We listen to patriotic songs like the National Anthem, America the Beautiful, and Hail to the Chief as well. For me, it's about respect--especially at sites like Arlington National Cemetery. It's hard not to get teary-eyed at a ceremony with grizzly old War War II vets saluting the flag as they too get teary-eyed. I see nothing wrong w/paying tribute to a symbol of our freedom--esp. when I see the image of the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima or the firefighters at the site of the WTC bombing.

Laura

Nope, we have objections to it. And I was refused entrance to my brother's graduation because of it and the fact that I come from a military family (it was my brother and stepfather that refused our entrance...the other option was that they would refuse to sit next to us).

Edited by mommaduck

Laura,

I am not trying to be divisive, I just wanted you to know that we object to saying the pledge of allegiance yet are very thankful for those who serve. For us, they are two totally separate matters.

Our eldest son loves military history. We gave him a large poster for Christmas of the famous Iwo Jima photo with the words "All Gave Some, Some Gave All." He very seriously considered going into the Army. He watches documentaries all the time and gets quite choked up about those who serve(d).

We are all very thankful for those who serve to protect freedoms of so many people, not just Americans.

My Dad was in the Navy, and my father-in-law and grandfather served in the Army during World War II.

We are vocal in our voting/contacting representatives, etc, and we think the best way to make a fine country is by being "the change you wish to see in the world" -- by walking in integrity.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that an objection to saying the pledge does not produce apathetic, unappreciative people.

I chose other. When we first started homeschooling we did. My two were used to starting the day that way in school and they wanted to say it. I went along. It slowly fizzled out. My dd asked me recently why we don't say it. I told her loyalty to your country is something you feel in your heart and show with your actions. You don't need to say the pledge to be a patriot. We also did a brief discussion on how saying the words does not show you mean them. I also told her that if she wants to say the pledge I will support that decision.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that an objection to saying the pledge does not produce apathetic, unappreciative people.

:iagree:Thank you! My family has a long line of serving in the military, we have been in every war, and my husband has served. However, we object to the wording and nature of the pledge.

Dawn,

I appreciate your comments. However, I'm quite astonished to find so many people who object to saying the Pledge--esp. b/c it is a symbol. I guess that's precisely why we say it b/c we see it as a symbol for all those 'who gave their all' for us. While we try to honor their sacrifices on a more personal level on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, the symbol of the flag stands in for us on a more daily basis. It is such an important symbol to those in the military as more than one person has died in trying to retrieve that symbol in times of war. And although I have difficulty with the flag burnings, I understand why the Supreme Court found that the burning was protected speech--precisely b/c it is such a powerful symbol. For me, it's the secular equivalent of a cross or a crucifix--which can also move me to tears.

However, I can also understand the reluctance to state 'the under God' portion from a secular point of view.

Laura

What? What planet did this occur on? Surely not America where there is freedom of speech. :glare:

Yep, don't you know that it was my stepfather alone that kept this country free and all of that? :glare: What do I expect out of someone with an inflated ego? Thing was, I warned my brother ahead of time so he could tell me whether or not to come. He said it would be fine, then I showed up (with husband and two babies in tow) only to be yelled and screamed at by stepdad and have brother stand there and say I "deserved it" :confused:

Dawn,

I appreciate your comments. However, I'm quite astonished to find so many people who object to saying the Pledge--esp. b/c it is a symbol. I guess that's precisely why we say it b/c we see it as a symbol for all those 'who gave their all' for us. While we try to honor their sacrifices on a more personal level on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, the symbol of the flag stands in for us on a more daily basis. It is such an important symbol to those in the military as more than one person has died in trying to retrieve that symbol in times of war. And although I have difficulty with the flag burnings, I understand why the Supreme Court found that the burning was protected speech--precisely b/c it is such a powerful symbol. For me, it's the secular equivalent of a cross or a crucifix--which can also move me to tears.

However, I can also understand the reluctance to state 'the under God' portion from a secular point of view.

Laura

Laura, have you ever researched the history of the pledge and carefully considered each line of it. It is a vow, not a symbol. Scripture speaks to tread very carefully where vows are concerned (as do many other faiths). The flag is a symbol, the national anthem is symbolic. The pledge is neither.

Momma Duck,

I am quite familiar w/its history. I don't have a problem with the vow portion of it. I have also sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States as part of my military obligation as well as for civilian jobs. I am unfamiliar w/the scripture prohibition against oaths however. I'm not sure how an allegiance to American is mutually exclusive with an allegiance to God--if that's what the objection is.

Laura

I guess that's precisely why we say it b/c we see it as a symbol for all those 'who gave their all' for us. While we try to honor their sacrifices on a more personal level on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, the symbol of the flag stands in for us on a more daily basis.

As it does for us. We have a flagpole in the yard and I love art with a patriotic theme. We consider the flag to be a very important symbol that has a deep meaning for each of us, but we just don't say the Pledge on a daily basis.

I'm not sure how an allegiance to American is mutually exclusive with an allegiance to God--if that's what the objection is.

My faith does not include a god but it does include a "pledge," as it were, to follow certain precepts. If something my country does is in violation of those precepts, and I have sworn allegiance to my country, also, then I am in the bind of having to choose which vow to honor.

Tara

It isn't that I don't believe in the Pledge; it is that at home, we're just learning stuff, not reproducing a classroom environment.

When I taught in my little one-room school, we said the Pledge every single day. We say the pledge with my girls' club every Wednesday night at church.

But no, not at home.

DD says the pledge at her weekly enrichment class. It would feel wierd and artificial to do that at home. We're not that formal in our home learning environment.

We probably WILL memorize it this coming year, though.

Tara, I understand what you're saying about being in a bind about which vow to honor. However, for me, the pledge is not about my country's faults--it's to honor the "Republic for which it stands." When I make my pledge it is to the ideals of democracy and freedom, which I believe the US tries to honor, though made up of imperfect human beings, it can sometimes fail. It is similar to the vow I made to my dh--I will love and honor him, altho I know he will sometimes fail. Not that I would want to carry that analogy too far.

I, too, feel a bit uncomfortable saying the pledge in a formal setting at home--our hs is nowhere near formal, but it gets easier the more we do it.

Laura

No, we don't say it and ds will probably not come across it until third grade maybe, when we'll be doing Civics and American History.

I think being forced to recite it every day is akin to brainwashing, and at the least to mindless mumbling that doesn't mean anything (the way my dh describes it.). A certain level of national pride is natural. However, I'm not extremely patriotic, American or of my own native country. I believe the more we hyper focus on our individual countries the easier it is to lose our humanity (and compassion encompassing all of humanity, as opposed to just people from our native country).

Edited by sagira

We say the pledge at home (not daily) and once a week at a co-op. We come from a very military family--almost all males have served--and I was in the Reserves for about 10 years. We also go to Memorial Day parades, 4th of July parades and show our love for this country every chance we get. We went to Washington DC last summer and watched the changing of the guards at Arlington. I want my children to be appreciative of the sacrifice of those who came before them and the freedoms they enjoy. We listen to patriotic songs like the National Anthem, America the Beautiful, and Hail to the Chief as well. For me, it's about respect--especially at sites like Arlington National Cemetery. It's hard not to get teary-eyed at a ceremony with grizzly old War War II vets saluting the flag as they too get teary-eyed. I see nothing wrong w/paying tribute to a symbol of our freedom--esp. when I see the image of the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima or the firefighters at the site of the WTC bombing.

Laura

:iagree: I could have written this post (though not as well). We also come from a very military family. My kids go up to veterans and soldiers, shake their hands and thank them for their service. I can't tell you how many times I've had one of the veterans tell me that it was the first time they've been thanked. :(

To all veterans, soldiers and their families - thank you for your service and sacrifices.

I agree with the poster who said that she says the pledge in honor of the ideals of this country - not some of the realities. The USA isn't perfect, but no country is. I do believe that it was founded on some pretty incredible ideals and principles, though. I respect and treasure those.

Tara, I understand what you're saying about being in a bind about which vow to honor. However, for me, the pledge is not about my country's faults--it's to honor the "Republic for which it stands." When I make my pledge it is to the ideals of democracy and freedom, which I believe the US tries to honor, though made up of imperfect human beings, it can sometimes fail. It is similar to the vow I made to my dh--I will love and honor him, altho I know he will sometimes fail. Not that I would want to carry that analogy too far.

I, too, feel a bit uncomfortable saying the pledge in a formal setting at home--our hs is nowhere near formal, but it gets easier the more we do it.

Laura

Uhm, what Republic? We haven't been a Republic society for quite some time.