Menu

How much money do you spend on a year's worth of schooling?

My eldest turned 2 last week. I already have a stash of resources. I figure the more I collect before official schooling starts, the less "counts" when dh gets around to asking that question. What he doesn't pay for won't hurt him, ya know?

:D

Rosie

$2,000-$3,000.

We used to be in private school so that is a bargain for us. I have spent a lot on curriculum over the years but I also sell it as I can, so I do recoup some. This year I have a 9th grader, 4th grader, and toddler so I don't really get to do the 'two kids, one shared curriculum'. I will spend significantly less this year because I will finally be able to start reusing some of the curriculum I purchased for my oldest this next year (we started hsing him in 5th grade, and dd is in 5th next year). Because of the age span, even when they were studying similar topics, I needed two levels of resources!

For curriculum and supplies only, I spent about $500 for both children combined this year. We actually spent about $150 more this year because my kids finished some of their curriculum too quickly so I had to buy some of next year's curriculum early to give them something to work on for the rest of the year. Taekwondo adds about $1100 per year. My daughter took art classes that cost $260. We will also spend about $650 on field trips, included a four night stay in Portland (hotel plus admission to three locations).

Almost all of it is paid for by the virtual academy that we are enrolled in.

Last year I spent 1000 with A Beka DVD which included all books/teacher manuals for all subjects. This year I'm taking a scaled down approach with Rod and Staff and spent just a little over 200 for everything I'll need and I will do all the teaching. I'll be using our library a lot more as well.

Last year I spent 1000 with A Beka DVD which included all books/teacher manuals for all subjects. This year I'm taking a scaled down approach with Rod and Staff and spent just a little over 200 for everything I'll need and I will do all the teaching. I'll be using our library a lot more as well.

$200??? How on earth did you do that? I just got 2 of their English books with teacher manuals and it cost an arm and a leg! We only need them for the grammar, too.

I'm well impressed:thumbup:

I've just finished totaling for the 2009-2010 year and I think it's going to be just a hair over $2,000. Seems high, but I guess when you have five kids of school age that's what happens. I got hit hard this year with Apologia Science because I had to buy four different sets.

When all my children were pre-high school I spend around $500 per year on curriculum. This year I have spent about $975, and I still don't have my son's math curriculum yet. I also haven't paid for his biology class. That will be another $400. In addition we go to a gym and swim program that is about $400 for the year. I will be up to about $1,800 when all is said and done this year. Actually it isn't that bad for educating 4 children. It comes out to be about $450 per child which is actually a very inexpensive tuition.

Of course, I do not count horseback riding lessons, 4-H activities, or hockey.

Jennie

Um . . . I don't count. ;) Not that we're rolling in dough or anything . . . I just have never been able to keep a budget and fit in what I want and work around it.

I do decide really early on what I'm going to want to do next, and then spend a lot of time looking for it for a good price. For example, when I switched to SRA Real Math, there was no way I was going to pay retail for it - ouch! The teacher's guides alone run around $180 for a year. However, I've been able to get them by bits and pieces on Craigslist, eBay, Amazon . . . and I now have accumulated SRA Real Math all the way through 6th grade (we're doing 1st and 2nd here right now). This is why it's hard for me to say how much we spend a year . . . I buy for multiple years at a time.

I'm telling dh that I'm cheap :lol:

I've mainly followed the WTM recommendations and ended up paying $1200 for one year's worth of resources for my 3 children.

Is that cheap? How much do you tend to spend?

We're on the low end. I haven't paid more than $200 per year for my oldest son who is in 7th grade, and then I've paid less than that each year for my younger two (3rd and 1st grades) because I've been able to use much of my oldest son's stuff with them. So each year that I've been homeschooling all three kids, it's been somewhere between $200 and $350, I'd say. That doesn't include outside lessons, activities, or co-op.

We've had some years be almost nothing and other years be more like $2K. Most years are somewhere inbetween. This for 2 children.

For 9th grade, for my son, we spent (already bought it--YAY!) about $350 plus he'll do an online writing class for a couple hundred more. Plus, we'll need wood for woodworking as projects in that class come up. We do already have microscopes (2) and certain other things.

Years that we've paid for classes outside the home have been most expensive, but they were good. My daughter did Abeka DvD one year (7th). She did two online writing classes. She went to the private school for Spanish I and II. She is at the community college this year. She did EPGY at one point (though we got substantial financial aid).

Years we could do it all at home have been pretty cheap as I've generally gotten things used as much as possible. The earlier years are cheaper when you don't need as many teacher's manuals.

Anyway, I wouldn't guess $1200 is CHEAP for 3 elementary aged children, but it's not bad, by any means either as it basically averages out to $400 per kid.

Dh isn't breathing down my neck or anything. I just thought that if we were using SL, or TOG or a whole programm like that, it would have ended up a lot more expensively. But then again not many of you are doing that either, since this is the WTM board! :001_smile:

Because we aren't based in the US I can't get stuffed used either, which makes the whole thing more expensive.

We have been spending @ $3000-$4000 but that's for 7 kids and we have changed paths a few times so are still buying new curiculum. In a few years it should level off for us and I wont need but a few workboks here and there.

Edited by Quiver0f10

I'd guess somewhere around $500+ per child for actual curriculum/books/consumables. Additionally we do piano and dance, but I think we'd do that whether we homeschooled or not.

We're in the same boat on both counts. For the last several years, I've spent between $300 and $500 per child. That is curriculum/books/consumables only and does not count music lessons, choir, dance or theatre expenses. I don't count the extras because, as Veritaserum said, those are things kids who are in school do, too.

Dh isn't breathing down my neck or anything. I just thought that if we were using SL, or TOG or a whole programm like that, it would have ended up a lot more expensively.

I actually do this comparison every year. Here's what I figured out this year.

I spent the following:

History/Literature: $184

Science: $110

Languages (3): $143

English: $40

Total: $469

Sonlight Level 5 “Core Ultra†includes History/Geography, Language Arts, Science, Electives, Math, Handwriting, and Required Resources (93 items): $1154

We spent 40% of that to cover the same subjects.

Calvert 5th Grade includes Language Arts, History, Math, Science, Geography, Art History: $750, French or Spanish available for $205 each. Latin $160. – Core + 2 Languages: $1115

We spent 41% of that to cover the same subjects.

Tapestry of Grace begins with four units covering History, Literature, Philosophy/Religion: $180, Readers and required resources: $357.98 – Total: $697

We spent 32% of that.

Beautiful Feet Intermediate Ancient History includes study guide, timeline, Streams of Civilization (and test booklet) plus 13 books: $179, Upgrade Pack with additional readers has study guide and 9 books: $90, History of Science pack has study guide, science experiment notebook and 11 books: $149 – Total for History/Literature and Science: $418

We spent 63% of that and ended up with 25% more history/literature readers.

History Odyssey Ancients (Logic Stage) has study guide, 2 History Pockets, 1 LTH, 6 readers: $113, KHE and Story of Mankind purchased separately: $40 – Total: $153

This is the only one that came close in price. However, we ended up with three times as many books.

There is a private classical school in town, which also offers a great choir and a drama program. Their annual tuition is $9805.

Even if you include what we spend for choir and assuming my son does two tuition-based drama programs per year, we spent 9% of that total.

I actually do this comparison every year. Here's what I figured out this year.

I spent the following:

History/Literature: $184

Science: $110

Languages (3): $143

English: $40

Total: $469

Sonlight Level 5 “Core Ultra†includes History/Geography, Language Arts, Science, Electives, Math, Handwriting, and Required Resources (93 items): $1154

We spent 40% of that to cover the same subjects.

Calvert 5th Grade includes Language Arts, History, Math, Science, Geography, Art History: $750, French or Spanish available for $205 each. Latin $160. – Core + 2 Languages: $1115

We spent 41% of that to cover the same subjects.

Tapestry of Grace begins with four units covering History, Literature, Philosophy/Religion: $180, Readers and required resources: $357.98 – Total: $697

We spent 32% of that.

Beautiful Feet Intermediate Ancient History includes study guide, timeline, Streams of Civilization (and test booklet) plus 13 books: $179, Upgrade Pack with additional readers has study guide and 9 books: $90, History of Science pack has study guide, science experiment notebook and 11 books: $149 – Total for History/Literature and Science: $418

We spent 63% of that and ended up with 25% more history/literature readers.

History Odyssey Ancients (Logic Stage) has study guide, 2 History Pockets, 1 LTH, 6 readers: $113, KHE and Story of Mankind purchased separately: $40 – Total: $153

This is the only one that came close in price. However, we ended up with three times as many books.

There is a private classical school in town, which also offers a great choir and a drama program. Their annual tuition is $9805.

Even if you include what we spend for choir and assuming my son does two tuition-based drama programs per year, we spent 9% of that total.

Cool! I like this post a lot! Great job & thanks for sharing!

I spend about $1000 -$1200 for one student and my own self-education. Granted I've done it with much less and could again. But our library doesn't have much, I prefer to own the books anyway. I've also recently purchased some items that can be used for several years.

I'm have a set list that I purchase from and really think through how to schedule something before I buy. I've crossed a few things off the list already because I know we wouldn't have time for them.

I'm in the selling mode because I've bought TOO much stuff over 10 years of homeschooling. :lol::lol:

My advice is to buy USED whenever possible. :D

Homeschooling is still cheap compared to private school ($10,000). :tongue_smilie:

Edited by MIch elle
typo

:tongue_smilie:

In 2008, I spent around $2500.00 This is for 3 kids, for everything.....books, sports, Awana, museum visits, etc....

In 2009, I have already spent.........$1500.00 and I still have quite a bit to buy for next year.

SO, that is NOT $$$$ to us! :lol:

This year, my budget is $700, but I do NOT have to buy every subject for every child by any means. I am hoping to have a little left at the end of the weekend. LOL

IF I needed to get something for every child for every or nearly every subject, it would be about $2000-3000 total, I'm guessing. As it is, I just need history, IEW, and lit for the 2 older ones. Science (1 or 2 programs) for the younger 3, new math books for 2 younger ones, handwriting, and some extras. Maybe some college prep and criticial thinking stuff. LOTS of new reading books, I'm hoping, and I always buy a few books for myself. I get birthday/Christmas gifts at the convention sometimes, too!

I've never added it up but it is very little. We use Singapore math and I've found some of that used. We rely heavily on online resources and the library. Since last year we have been following Ambleside online for curriculum. Many of our textbooks are online and available for free. We bought SWR for spelling and reading so we only have to buy a composition book every year or so. Those are only 50 cents at Walmart! Sometimes I've found old school books at estate sales. I found a grammar book with a copyright of 1916. From what I've seen of FLL, the instruction style and the activities were very similar. Very interesting! :001_smile:

You know, I suppose if you counted our monthly internet bill, then we spend $35 per month.

Last year, I spent $1345 but that included the umbrella school fees, PS school fees, field trips, activities and mostly books. Very little actual curriculum last year. Some years I don't have to buy any and other years I have to buy a lot. I am getting ready to spend about $1500 in May for next year's curriculum. I will be buying: some writing programs, Key to Math series, Great Courses, PAC Science Curriculum, Galore Park Books and then about $300 worth of books off of Amazon. I will have an 11th and 12th grader next year and the two youngers will be in PS so so I do not see the need for much more stuff. I will need some supplies for Biology and Chemistry labs but I think that's about it.

More than I want to put down in writing....

If you count only what I end up using and not "geting and reselling," then I guess around $1,000 for both kids. Then add co-op to the tune of $160 per month Sept thru April. Then, add basketball and soccer fees, camp fees for the summer (basketball $150, Christian Camp $235)...and, of course, books, materials, etc etc etc, I don't even want to try and fathom the true "total."

We will spend about $1200 this year for all four, but that doesn't include gymnastics, dance, baseball which can run $600-700 monthly. I have lots of things passed down from my older boys that have already graduated. I don't buy everything all at one time so that it doesn't seem like so much.:001_smile:

I'm telling dh that I'm cheap :lol:

I've mainly followed the WTM recommendations and ended up paying $1200 for one year's worth of resources for my 3 children.

Is that cheap? How much do you tend to spend?

I think $1200 per year is reasonable. With my older children I budgeted for that amount for 2 but went over that budget a few years. :tongue_smilie: With my younger children I'm budgeting for $500 per year but I already have a well stocked family library with lots of extras.

I used to spend $300-400 for all three of mine when they were younger. For 10th grade my oldest ds wanted to try BJU. That was close to $1000. The private Christian school in town was close to $10,000, so we actually considered that a significant savings! My oldest has been at a Christian Highschool the last two years, but has been able to work about 1/3 of the cost of tuition off. For my other 2 it's been around $400-$500 for both, since I try to buy used. Last year I sold quite a bit of my curriculum we were not using anymore, and threw caution to the wind. I spent closer to $800 for things, and ended up with quite a few things we didn't use/couldn't fit in. I am being much more selective this year, and keeping the costs down more (for which my dh is grateful)!:001_smile:

For 3 children, I spend around $1200/year. I try to keep it around $1000, but sometimes I'll add something in during the year, and the amount goes up. I don't think that's bad for 3 kids, around $400/each for the year for curriculum, art classes, etc...compared to what I would spend on lots of clothes if they were in school, or for private school tuition, I think I'm getting a good deal. ;)

I'd say $400-$500 per child and I have 3. It gets more expensive as they get older. My oldest is 12 and she will be doing science outside the house next year. We also do swimming, piano, and fencing. My 9 yo will be doing Mad Science next year.

My friends and I share resources and that cuts down on expenses. DH and I figure we won't scrimp on the girls' education and we still come out ahead of where we'd be if they were in a private school.

Ann

So I'm not as cheap as I thought I was, but within normal limits. :D

Buying new obviously drives the prices up, but sticking to the same programms helps a lot. Because everybody around us (that would be most of the expats in the whole of Tajikistan) seem to do SL and we don't, selling on is difficult, but I've just stopped buying SL readers and started borrowing them instead. So it all seems to even out.

That includes homeschool orchestra (~$700/year) and private music lessons (~$150/month). So, I spent about $1500 on curriculum. If you add in things I forgot about/paid cash for, I'd say I spent $1700. I'm now on a budget (self-imposed) of $100/month for all curriculum, so I'll let you know in another year if I've been successful at sticking to it. :)

With my older son heading into high school, I almost fainted when I saw the prices for main stream textbooks - $100+ for one textbook and that didn't include the teacher's manuals or student guides. Anyway, I'm grateful for Amazon's used textbooks section. I was able to find older editions of the books I wanted to use for my son for a lot less - sometimes 90% off the original price. Anyway I have spent about $750.00 for book supplies for my two sons. I still need to purchase a good microscope and supplies for an additional $300.00. I also spend monthly $200/son monthly for music and karate lessons.