Menu

Harry Potter...have read/have not read

Have you read Harry Potter?  

1. 1. Have you read Harry Potter?

• Have read H.P. and am still against the series
    • Have read H.P. and have no problems with it
    • Have not read H.P. and still against it
    • Have not read H.P. but not against the series

The recent threads in which the Harry Potter books have come up has got me to thinking. Who has read it and still been against it. I was in the "totally against" it camp. Avoided it at all costs. It was on my 8-8-8 List last year under my "Banned Books" category. I enjoyed the book, was surprised at the hype, and now have read them all.

I am a very conservative Baptist. Just so you know my background;)

Now I would like this NOT to be a nasty thread, 'cause I'm really just curious about who has read it and still been totally against it. That's why I'm posting it as a poll. Please, if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all:D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have read them all, actually more than twice each. We love them as well as the movies here, but then again I've never been against them. I have nothing against those that do and choose not to let their kids read them, I'm in the whatever floats your boat category there.

and read about half of it. It isn't my favorite genre, so. . . shoot me. ;)

I voted haven't read them but have no problem. I may eventually get to them, but who knows. I am reading Inkheart right now and enjoying it. I think there isn't much difference between the two. Maybe I am wrong.

I think I will let my kids read them at some point, probably at 12 or so.

The later books are darker and deal with teenage issues like dating and making out. I would not let my kids read other books that contain those things, and I won't make the exception of HP. The early books are okay, but I know my DD and it would be a bigger battle making her wait halfway through the series than having her wait now. I will probably allow them around high school age. They will enjoy them now matter what age they read them.

I'm not sure how to vote. I'm not against them when my kids are older, but I am against them for the ages they are now.

The later books are darker and deal with teenage issues like dating and making out. I would not let my kids read other books that contain those things, and I won't make the exception of HP. The early books are okay, but I know my DD and it would be a bigger battle making her wait halfway through the series than having her wait now. I will probably allow them around high school age. They will enjoy them now matter what age they read them.

I'm not sure how to vote. I'm not against them when my kids are older, but I am against them for the ages they are now.

:iagree:, although I did pick the first option of the poll, since my kids are still young enough that I'll be taking the against them stance for several more years.

Read it- reread it often, attended local library midnight release party for last book in series and almost won the trivia quiz - read fan fiction at Mugglenet daily - want to be a witch and attend Hogwarts. My youngest, just about 13, is finally reading the last book in the series.

Read them, love them, will let my kids read them when they are a bit older. :) I agree that the last books *starting when Voldemort returns at the end of Goblet of Fire* get "darker." I could care less about Jenny and Harry kissing, or Harry and Cho kissing. Big whoop. LOL I don't mind the "themes." I mind the deaths of popular characters, the major shift it takes with Dumbledore and then Snape and...well...it is just not the happy fun HP we grew to love in the first 3 books.

ETA: I am a God loving Christian. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

I meant "against" in the religious aspect. Just as that is how I was, and the comments that I have noticed usually begin with "I am Christian..." Not picking on anyone there, please know that, just an observation. Hence my poll:D

I am a huge fantasy fan. Have been since my teen years. I didn't read H.P. because all the people in my "circle" said it was bad. I found out that I was wrong. Now, I have a dear, dear friend who is against magic, witches, & wizards in any work. For my dear, dear friend who is against even Tolkein, it would still be wrong. For me who enjoys fantasy, I have found no difference in H.P. than in the Belgariad or Wheel of Time series or Lord of the Ring.

Hope that makes a modicum of sense!

The recent threads in which the Harry Potter books have come up has got me to thinking. Who has read it and still been against it. I was in the "totally against" it camp. Avoided it at all costs. It was on my 8-8-8 List last year under my "Banned Books" category. I enjoyed the book, was surprised at the hype, and now have read them all.

I am a very conservative Baptist. Just so you know my background;)

Now I would like this NOT to be a nasty thread, 'cause I'm really just curious about who has read it and still been totally against it. That's why I'm posting it as a poll. Please, if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all:D

Although the series is a completely fallacious representation of witchcraft and magick, I read them, loved them and am letting ds (9) read them, too.

I've read most of them, but i can't exactly say i have NO problems w/ them, lol. There's plenty to not like. definitely not my genre.

I do consider a lot of the mistruths about the books to be the biggest problem, tho. Especially as a Christian. I don't mind someone being against the series, but at least understand that Hogwarts doesn't teach anybody to BE a witch or a wizard ;)

There's a school in Dallas called the Winston School. The only kids that can attend this Expensive School are kids that have been tested to be

1. learning disabled and

2. gifted

The Winston School is almost exactly like Hogwarts in how they choose their attendance:

Attending the Winston School doesn't help you BECOME learning disabled or gifted: it helps the students who already ARE that way use their talents effectively.

Attending Hogwarts doesn't MAKE you become a witch or a wizard. Being a witch or a wizard is a genetic trait, not a choice. Part of what makes Biblical witchcraft so heinous is you are making a CHOICE against God. There's nothing like that in HP. There are more theological problems w/ Dickens' A Christmas Carol than w/ Harry Potter.

I'm not against them, and have read all the books. My kids, however, haven't read any of them.

My oldest dd's birthday is today (she's 11) and we've told her she could start reading them when she was 11 years old - since that's the age Harry was when he discovered he was a wizard, lol. I'll probably let her read the first three this year - but will dole out the rest of the books as we see fit, since the theme does mature quite a bit.

We mainly wanted to wait until we felt our kids were old enough to have a very firm grasp on reality and fantasy. ;) DH and I are huuuuuge sci-fi/fantasy fans, so our kids will be fully immersed in our little world as they get older. We just felt they were better served reading more realistic books when they were younger (and quite a few fantasy/fairy tales - but we usually read those together - I didn't want HP to be a read aloud).

The kids have seen the first two movies (years ago) - but won't see the rest for a while yet.

:D

I could care less about Jenny and Harry kissing, or Harry and Cho kissing. Big whoop. LOL

A kiss here and there doesn't bother me, but there was one book where Ron was making out with some girl a lot, mainly to get back at Hermione for kissing what's-his-name. That's what I'm talking about. I don't think my 11 year old DD needs to be reading that.

Read them all. Love them. Stood in line for a couple hours waiting for midnight to get my copy of the Deathly Hallows. My dd started them when she was 8. My twins haven't started them yet because their reading skills aren't quite there yet. Actually, Harry might be the motivation they need.

Janet

I have read all of the HP books & my dd (14.5) has read all of them. My next dd (11) has read the first four. DH has listened to all the books on CD. Jim Dale, the reader, is amazing. We love them. Books, Audio & DVDs.

We are pretty conservative as a family.

I have had a run in or two with in-laws who think you can't possibly be a good Christian parent if you let your children read that evil Harry Potter. :glare: I try to pass, not fling, the bean dip.

Amber in SJ

Guest Katia

I am a conservative Christian. My dh is a pastor.

When the first book came out, there was the big Christian up-roar and being the type of person I am.....I decided the only way I would know what these books were or were not is if I read them myself. So I did.

I didn't see anything wrong in them; I just thoroughly enjoyed them! So, I asked dh to read them and see if there was something I was missing. He read them critically and gave them a big thumbs-up as well.

So, I let my then 15yo son read them. My girls were little so they didn't. Ds read each book as they came out, and by the time the 3rd book was out and the 4th was being written, the girls were old enough to watch the first movie. They loved it; immediately started reading the books and became HUGE HP fans.

We love them. I love the theme of LOVE and REDEMPTION. So not what all those Christian nay-sayers said it was. How could they know?? They haven't read it!

I read two of them. I like fantasy. I didn't like these books - not because of the witches but because I personally do not think they are well written. I have not recommended them to my children because I have a much bigger problem with the tone the books take toward adults, authority etc. I suppose you can say I have banned them at the younger ages but how it works in our house is that I've redirected my children to other much better written works some of which is in the same genre. I've told my kids my opinion and they respect it and have never argued with it. If my ds wanted to read it at some point now (he's 11) I would let him because he has demonstrated enough discernment in his own life. But so far he has not shown an interest.

What other people read is a non-issue for me. I don't bat an eye if someone allows their kids to read it. It is an area of discernment for any parent I think as to what their children read on any subject and any genre.

I consider myself to be a very devout Catholic. I go to Mass everyday of the week. I pray the rosary every day. I recite the Angelus at noon. I say my prayers. I read my daily devotionals. I have crucifixes hung in my home as well as statues of the saints. I have a bowl of holy water on a stand in my foyer.

Pope Benedict made a public announcement against reading Harry Potter. I did not listen to him and read the books.

I do not have a problem with Harry Potter. I love the Harry Potter books. I went to all the midnight Harry Potter party's with my kids.

I know many Catholic families that have read Harry Potter. Even our priest has read Harry Potter.

Can hardly wait for the next movie.

Blessings

Zoraida

Well, where's the "other?";)

I've read the first one and part of the second. I was against it before I read that far. Now, I'm not.:)

My husband has read the entire series and approved of our kids reading it. My 12yo dd has read them all and my 16yo has read the first three.

I have had a run in or two with in-laws who think you can't possibly be a good Christian parent if you let your children read that evil Harry Potter. :glare:

Amber in SJ

This will be my parents. I haven't told them yet. My mom doesn't like that I let my dd read about dragons and never liked it when I did:rolleyes: (Not sure what's bad about dragons) I've been too chicken to bring it up, but need to 'cause my 8yo will probably slip up eventually. Especially when the new movie comes out.

We're Christians and read Harry Potter. I'm saying it that way because I get annoyed by the "We're Christians so we don't do Harry Potter" comments, as if it were automatically the logical and right choice.

Only 2 of my children (and dh) have read them, btw, but if our others were interested I'd encourage them to go ahead! The 8yo is on the 3rd book and after that I will ask him to stop and hold off on the later books until he's a bit older. :)

I needed an "other" option.

When the series first came out in the US, I worked evenings at Barnes and Noble in the children's department. As they became popular, more and more parents came in and asked about them. I read the first 3 books so that I could answer questions.

I liked them, but I really struggled seeing parents coming in to purchase them for their preschoolers. *Especially* when book 4 came out! The author writes the books for older children, primarily the jr. high age. not 3 and 5 year olds.

In our house, if a child wants to read them, he needs to be 12. It's a somewhat random number, but we picked it because when ds #1 decided to read them, he would want to read the entire series. Book 1 is much lighter fare than book 6 or 7!

Ds #1 had no interest, until a friend was excited about the final book coming out. He read through the series then, enjoyed them, and hasn't read them since.

The series isn't even on ds #2's radar yet, but he's only 9. :)

I think they're fun books, but not for the smaller set.

.I decided the only way I would know what these books were or were not is if I read them myself. So I did.

We love them. I love the theme of LOVE and REDEMPTION. So not what all those Christian nay-sayers said it was. How could they know?? They haven't read it!

I wish I would have done this myself. I felt so hypocritical after I finished the first book.

The second part is the reason for the poll;) I'm just wondering how many people there are like me ... against it because that's what they've been told, and not reading for themselves. (Not meaning that in a bad way...I so don't want to offend here).

My older two have read them, not the younger.

I find the fine distinctions puzzling, but then again, I'm not one to be doctrinaire about much of anything. They are wonderful stories, about a heroic child who is willing to die to rid his world of an evil force. His heroism is what accounts for the stunning popularity of the stories, IMO. There are all kinds of magical stories out there, but none has approached the popularity of HP, and I think it is because Harry represents the hero every kid fantasizes becoming.

I guess I should say that dd14 has read the first book and part of the second. She likes the movies, and liked the books. But she's my aspie and we spent years telling her that H.P. was wrong. She's having a hard time with "now they are ok."

Dd8 has read the first one. She started the second, but her endurance is not there yet. She will not be reading the later books till she's older. We'll evaluate the new movies as they come out, but by the time the last two come out she should be old enough to handle them.

So far, there are only a few who have read it and still were against it. Interesting.

I love the HP books. I've only read the last ... 6, I think. Dh knows how I read, & he said the 1st 2 were just written to too young of an audience for me to stomach them. He said they were enough like the movies.

He started reading them mainly to have something to talk to my brother about. Bro's a big HP fan.

In the end, I'm glad. These are some of the best-written, *fun,* quality books I've read. And I'm hard to please. Dh once asked me if I'd ever read *anything* that I thought was well-written. I did end up thinking of several books, but it took a while, lol.

We're such big fans, that we stood in line for #7. Mostly for the fun of saying we did because we're such the opposite of that kind of person usually. And we drove out to see my bro at 1AM, to take him a copy. (He had to work.) Then dh made me wait for him to read it, & we stayed up late every night, taking turns reading aloud to ea other while the other one PACKED because we had...I don't know...4 days to be out of our HOUSE.

It worked out, though. Closing was delayed on the house (because of buyer financing, not us reading).

Oh, y'all meant for kids. Well...we're definitely not ready to pass these to our dc yet, but the oldest is only 8. Dh wants to dole them out, one at a time, so that the reader is the same age as HP. He figures we had to wait between ea book, so should they. :lol:

But if you think about it, that would also help address some of the mature themes in the later books.

This is me exactly. I tried reading the first one just to see what the hype was about but I couldn't get into it. I will probably read it in another few months. It looks like I would enjoy it. We have seen the first four movies and have enjoyed them. I am also enjoying "Inkheart" right now.

I don't understand the Harry Potter hoopla ~ nor do I understand the panic-driven reaction against said hoopla. I read the first book and found the writing lacking. It didn't entertain me, so I had no interest in sharing it with my children. My guys have never jumped on the bandwagon or expressed a great deal of interest in the books. A couple of years ago, my oldest read the first two books but, like me, wasn't particularly impressed or interested.

I consider myself to be a very devout Catholic. I go to Mass everyday of the week. I pray the rosary every day. I recite the Angelus at noon. I say my prayers. I read my daily devotionals. I have crucifixes hung in my home as well as statues of the saints. I have a bowl of holy water on a stand in my foyer.

Pope Benedict made a public announcement against reading Harry Potter. I did not listen to him and read the books.

I do not have a problem with Harry Potter. I love the Harry Potter books. I went to all the midnight Harry Potter party's with my kids.

I know many Catholic families that have read Harry Potter. Even our priest has read Harry Potter.

Can hardly wait for the next movie.

Blessings

Zoraida

I used to be Catholic but haven't really kept up since I converted to Eastern Orthodoxy. I had no idea that Pope Benedict made a public announcement against reading these. Wow!!!

(I've read them multiple times and love them.)

I am a Christian, but usually decide for myself what to read or not read. I don't pay much attention to "hoopla." We just have never read these - none of my dc have shown any interest in reading them. If and when they do, I'll read them first.

We bought the first book for my step-daughter when she was about 12. I'd never heard of the books but it looked ok. A few weeks later, I started to hear that they were books that Christians should not let their children read. So of course being the good Christian that I am, I went out and bought my own copy to see what the problem was. Couldn't find one.

Needless to say, I fell in love with the books and have read them all multiple times. My own dc aren't really interested in them. If they want, I'll let them read each book as they are old enough.

BTW, not too many people at my church know that I'm a Harry Potter fan. ;)

My DD17 went to public elementary school. Her 4th grade teacher read Harry Potter to the class out loud. Many people in our Christian circle were up in arms about the books. We are conservative Christians and so my DH decided to read it for himself to make sure it was okay for DD. He LOVED it. Ever since then, my DH, and two older DDs have been Harry Potter maniacs. They have read ALL the books, we own them ALL on audio tape and we own ALL the movies. They went to the midnight bookstore parties when the new books came out. For us, Harry Potter has become a wonderful bonding experience for the three of them and helped create memories they will never forget.

Me.....I hate them. I also hate Lord of the Rings and the Cronicles of Narnia. Sorry, I hate the fantasy genre in total! I know - my loss.

Edited by katemary63

May I direct your attention to an article I found through a blogger. It seems to sum the situation up nicely and reasonably.

Bookbinders: What I Learned About the Great Books and Harry Potter

I have read and enjoyed the books and the older kids around here have read them, listened to audio books and seen the movies. We have enjoyed them.

That said I know folks who won't let them darken the doorstep literally or figuratively. Some for literary reasons and some for religious.

Not trying to start an arguement, but there are noble adults who risk their jobs, their families' wrath and their lives for what is right. There are also horrible adults who deserve to be despised. And there is a broad swath of adults in between. My kids and I have had some interesting conversations about what makes someone good or evil (for example, was the house master, Filch bad?).

There are lots of situations in history that I point to as examples of resisting authority being the higher course. Do I want my kids sneaking out into town under an invisibility cloak? No. But I do want them to stand their ground, even when it makes them unpopular or worse.