Menu

Am I the only one who is not exactly a fan of Beth Moore?

My women's Bible Study group is now on the sixth week of the "Believing God" dvd series. It seems that the more I go, the more I dread going. I just don't have a good feeling about her teachings and I've been a strong and conservative believer for many years and she's supposed to be from the same Christian group I am in. I can't pinpoint just what it is about her teachings that bothers me.

No, you're not the only one. There are lots of us out here! :) (I'm not going to post here why I don't care for her studies.)

I've always tried to find more expository studies. Instead of our church's mid-week Beth Moore study, I attend our community's Bible Study Fellowship. When our church was using her for Sunday School, a group of us began meeting and going through a John MacArthur study. (We've done a Kay Arthur study as well.)

Hang in there! How many weeks are left?

I really hesitate saying anything bad about someone, so I don't want to pinpoint her...but...no, I don't care for her studies. I have done many of them. I did enjoy her John & Paul study. I did Believing God in a group and hated it. I've done a couple others that I didn't care for either. I don't care for her commentary. Also, I think she has had a very tough life and gone through a lot of things. I have not, so I am unable to relate to a lot of what she says and many of her lessons. The other thing I didn't like was that I felt she was constantly asking me to "find" something in my life to confess or to ask God to help me overcome (like big life things). I'm just not there. I've read her blog, I believe she's a wonderful woman - I just don't care for her studies.

I've done about six of her studies, and have enjoyed all of them EXCEPT Believing God. I just wasn't "there" (to use another poster's expression). I had trouble with the whole conjured-up faith thing (which is how it felt to me at the time). I dropped out after 4 weeks. Others in my group thought it was the best study we've done so far. I think it's just about where you are in your journey.

Don't wash the baby out with the bathwater. Another study might speak straight to your heart, or our mind, depending on where you're at. Most of them are very different from Believing God.

Overall, I like her studies. I didn't like Believing God, I think because it was light weight and I really hate light weight studies. I thought Daniel was excellent because it got away from "tell me about me" type I studies. To each his own. My dh hates the general Beth Moore fixation that many churches seem to have.

I haven't done Believing God, but have done others, including The Patriarchs and Daniel, which I think were excellent. I love Beth Moore!:001_smile: I have also seen her live twice. My mother saw her live, and wasn't totally thrilled, but then did the Daniel study and really likes her now. I think she's great.

I thought her study on the Tabernacle was excellent. But I didn't get so much out of Believing God.... couldn't put my finger on why at the time, but as some here have said, maybe I just wasn't "there"... I've done two or three of her others, with varying impact on me personally. What I like is that she really gets a gal into her Bible, unlike some of the book-based women's studies I've tried to participate in over the years.

I agree that events in her own life have been the genesis for particular studies. Makes sense that not all lessons apply the same way to everyone.

Also, over the course of time, I have seen her grow in a pronounced ecumenicalism. That - FOR ME - was something to watch carefully. Others may feel differently, and perhaps some would call me narrow-minded, but it was something I definitely noticed.

I've done several of her studies. I think I've done all of them except for David and Believing God. At first, I liked the studies, but didn't care for the videos. With each study she puts out, the videos seem to play a larger role. After a while, I couldn't read the study without "hearing" her in my head, and I couldn't do it anymore.

I don't agree with everything she says, but I don't consider her a heretic, either. I think her studies done a lot to ignite and interest in God's word with a lot of women who have never studied it before. And, in all fairness, I've yet to come across any teacher with whom I agree with across the board. It's possible that I'm wrong about a thing or to as well. :)

I think it primarily comes down to style. She's very dramatic and passionate, and I find that much drama and passion a little tiring. And, I personally think that she's gotten to a point where she feels like she HAS to be dramatic all the time, since that's what people like about her. But, since I don't know her, that's perhaps not fair. She really may be like that all the time. :)

I worry when any author or Bible Study becomes too revered. I don't just see it with Beth Moore. I've seen people act that way over BSF or John MacArthur (or Paul or Apollos...) It's God's Word that makes it special, not the Bible Study.

I've done about six of her studies, and have enjoyed all of them EXCEPT Believing God. I just wasn't "there" (to use another poster's expression). I had trouble with the whole conjured-up faith thing (which is how it felt to me at the time). I dropped out after 4 weeks. Others in my group thought it was the best study we've done so far. I think it's just about where you are in your journey.

Don't wash the baby out with the bathwater. Another study might speak straight to your heart, or our mind, depending on where you're at. Most of them are very different from Believing God.

That is so funny! I loved Believing God but I dropped out of two other of her studies. :D I don't dislike her, but some of her studies are great and some are just OK.

I think that most of her *written materials* are pretty good, but I can't watch her on DVD. When she shared a poem on the Jesus the One and Only DVD, that did it for me. And closing my eyes to imagine what it was like when Jesus was born--the sights! the sounds! the smells! What I smelled was my own stale breath because I was yawning so much. I want STUDY, not all her extra feel-good stuff. But that's my personality.

You are not alone. I've heard her on the radio, and done a couple of her studies and just don't feel like I gained anything (for lack of a better word) from them. I usually enjoy bible studies, but I had a hard time focusing during both of her studies. I'm afraid that some people get stuck on a specific "name or person" and run with it instead of getting stuck on God ans what He wants to teach us.

I think that most of her *written materials* are pretty good, but I can't watch her on DVD. When she shared a poem on the Jesus the One and Only DVD, that did it for me. And closing my eyes to imagine what it was like when Jesus was born--the sights! the sounds! the smells! What I smelled was my own stale breath because I was yawning so much. I want STUDY, not all her extra feel-good stuff. But that's my personality.

I have one of her books and liked it enough to keep it around (I'm perpetually selling off anything that I don't need), but when I got another one on CD with a gift certificate, I couldn't stand it. A friend loaned me a DVD, and I couldn't get through the first lecture. Her presentation style is a no-go for me.

She brought me into bible study--I'm Episcopalian, and did not grow up with a love for scripture in its purest form. I think she has done more thru her studies for the women of our parish than any other teacher (even my dear, dear husband) in recent (recent, mind you) history.

That said, I can fully understand why some are lukewarm about her studies, esp when it comes to the style of presentation. I, for instance, liked the meat of her first Tabernacle study, but did not really like the videos that went with the updated version of that study.

Not to worry--there certainly are enough choices out there. I'm doing a Nancy Leigh DeMoss study now (about revival for the Christian, called Seeking Him) and it's amazing.

My dh hates the general Beth Moore fixation that many churches seem to have.

Ditto. I've never done one of her studies. The church I used to attend did several of them, but I never participated. Actually (going out on a limb), I haven't been crazy about most women's bible studies I've participated in. And I'm not much of a formal "Women's Ministries" kinda person. I'm a real stick-in-the-mud, I know.

I've just finished the tabernacle study and we did the Psalms of Ascent study. They were absolutely fascinating. We're on Esther now and I just can't get excited. I don't know what it is, because I love the story of Esther, it just seems to be dealing with surface issues rather than God's word.

I did the Tabernacle study and loved it. What was happening in my life at the time and the study seemed to really mesh so I felt like God was speaking to me very clearly. The 2nd study was o.k. The third study was more a personality clash with the leader. Whenever I couldn't make it (and life was really crazy at the time) I felt like I wasn't being Christian enough and was allowing "the devil" to influence me.

We used to live in Houston and I had the opportunity to go to her studies live and in person. I don't even know how many women packed the place, thousands I quess. It was really hard for me because everyone was always talking about Beth, Beth, Beth never Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. There were many testimonies of changed lives, but I really struggled with it all. I struggled with the whole ministry: theologically, financially, emotionally. I have a hard time with the commercialization of all things spiritual.

She actually had to remind the women not to storm the auditorium when the doors opened because an elderly lady or two had been hurt when everyone ran in. It is difficult to find any women's bible study that is not Beth. It is kind of like churches think that the women's ministry is taken care of as long as there is some Beth Moore study going on.

It really is nothing personal against her, its just that I think the Church has delegated too much of the care and development of women within the body onto her.

Laurel T.

Could it just be a matter of preferences? I've done the "Believing God" and did get some things out of it but I prefer Kay Arthur's Inductive Bible Studies. I like searching the Bible myself rather than someone lecturing on topical issues.

:iagree:

I think there is a time and a place for guided Bible studies, but when a person is ready to search the Bible for themselves, it is a sign of real maturity.

Blessings,

Lucinda

was better than the last one but I can't call it serious Bible study. I did enjoy the fellowship so I'll finish the last few weeks that are left and get what I can out of the lessons. I hope the church will not put on any more of the Beth Moore demonstrations. Laurel, that's interesting what you said about the women storming the auditorium. That sums it up well for me. It's a lot of hype. There is some good teaching, true.

was better than the last one but I can't call it serious Bible study. I did enjoy the fellowship so I'll finish the last few weeks that are left and get what I can out of the lessons. I hope the church will not put on any more of the Beth Moore demonstrations. Laurel, that's interesting what you said about the women storming the auditorium. That sums it up well for me. It's a lot of hype. There is some good teaching, true.

I'm thinking the study you're doing must be very different from her other studies. The thing I've appreciated most about Beth Moore is that she goes so much deeper than most Bible study writers. I know her speaking style doesn't appeal to everyone, but I like that she stays on topic and there is always a logical progression to her talks. By contrast, I bought one of Kay Arthur's studies on tape and she jumps around so much and talks so fast that I couldn't follow her train of thought.

I was surprised to see another poster mention Beth Moore and topical study together. The studies I've done worked through a portion of Scripture or a person's life and were more expository than topical. I respect her greatly for her passion for God and Biblical literacy. But I haven't done all of her studies, so I'm sure they're not all the same.

I am not the most discerning person in the world, but I was troubled often in watching her videos. I think her style is so very persuasive. She often speaks from such a passionate and authoritative place that what Beth believes is sometimes confused in presentation with what is scripturally sound. There were a few things in each study I did in a group with the videos that just troubled my spirit, and I came home to talk to my husband about what didnt sit well with me, and it turns out that they were her own beliefs, or her denominations beliefs, and not scriptural things.

I have not tried to do a study with the book and workbook without the videos. But I wont do another beth more video study after the way her teaching sits with me.

I have done all of her main studies except Believing God, The Patriarchs and her new Esther one. My all time fav is probably her study on David. My least, so far, was Daniel. Not because it wasn't good, but because she came off as waaaay too intense in her videos and would draw out her S's rather oddly. Basically, She was rather maniacal I thought; it gave me the willies. The one that applied the least to me was Breaking free. Just couldn't get into that one.

I find her older studies [tabernacle, fruit of the spirit, David, Paul, etc.] are better than her new stuff. I used to enjoy her before she became "famous"...now, something is just different about her. I hear she is getting into some odd theology as well. Thanks, but no thanks.

Our church still does her studies, but amazingly less and less women are attending. I wonder if the powers-that-be will figure out that we need something besides a steady stream on Beth...:confused:

All that to say...stick with her older studies. ;)

Guest Katia

This is what I so love about coming here: I find other with the same opinions I hold, when I can't find ANYone IRL that does. :001_smile:

I have never been a fan of Beth Moore, but couldn't voice it because everyone I know IRL loves her studies.

I also can't stand that book Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets them Free. Blech. Our homeschool group did a study on this and EVERYone thought it was soooo good. Guess that should have told me right there that was NOT the group for me, lol!:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the support ladies.

Also, I think she has had a very tough life and gone through a lot of things. I have not, so I am unable to relate to a lot of what she says and many of her lessons. The other thing I didn't like was that I felt she was constantly asking me to "find" something in my life to confess or to ask God to help me overcome (like big life things). I'm just not there. I've read her blog, I believe she's a wonderful woman - I just don't care for her studies.

:iagree:I've only been in one study and that was enough. I don't have all the issues she "expects" you to have. Don't like her studies.

It was really hard for me because everyone was always talking about Beth, Beth, Beth never Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. There were many testimonies of changed lives, but I really struggled with it all. I struggled with the whole ministry: theologically, financially, emotionally. I have a hard time with the commercialization of all things spiritual.

I know this would break her heart.

My very first foray into a women's Bible study was with Beth Moore's Patriarchs. I loved it. Her personality was dynamic to me and I could relate to her as we have similar pasts. As a new Christian with a past that would make just about everyone here run screaming for the hills, she was perfect. I haven't done another Beth Moore study yet though. After that year, our church developed a small group for unequally yoked. We discuss our materials and as as group, our preference is to do a mix of scripture studies on our own and book studies, but mixing the authors as to not attach ourselves to anyone person.

I'm thinking the study you're doing must be very different from her other studies. The thing I've appreciated most about Beth Moore is that she goes so much deeper than most Bible study writers. I know her speaking style doesn't appeal to everyone, but I like that she stays on topic and there is always a logical progression to her talks. By contrast, I bought one of Kay Arthur's studies on tape and she jumps around so much and talks so fast that I couldn't follow her train of thought.

I was surprised to see another poster mention Beth Moore and topical study together. The studies I've done worked through a portion of Scripture or a person's life and were more expository than topical. I respect her greatly for her passion for God and Biblical literacy. But I haven't done all of her studies, so I'm sure they're not all the same.

I agree. Everyone I know, she has ignited a love of God & His Word in them. One thing I do like, that I have seen others dislike, is that she does try to encourage unity in the body of Christ. When she talks about how in many churches, different denominations, there are women who are unique because of their true love of God, I am seeing that to be true. I see many, many everywhere who just do the church thing because they grew up doing it. Then I see those women who actually want to get serious in their walk with God.

I have read a couple of her books and thought the were worthwhile reads. I haven't ever participated in any of her group studies, but have seen and heard her on TV and radio and really don't like her speaking style. She a little too loud and dramatic for me to take in.

apparently Beth does well when she sticks to straightforward study on a person like David in the Old Testament but she has a harder time with topics like the belief thing in the Believing God study. And the earlier studies are better than the newer ones? I did hear about her getting into some odd theology so maybe that affects the newer studies. So if my church chooses one of the older studies later on, I might join but not the newer ones. But if the church, if they wanted Beth Moore, picks a newer one, then yikes! I would be quite disappointed in the leadership.

It was really hard for me because everyone was always talking about Beth, Beth, Beth never Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. There were many testimonies of changed lives, but I really struggled with it all. I struggled with the whole ministry: theologically, financially, emotionally. I have a hard time with the commercialization of all things spiritual.

I know this would break her heart.

I think that it would have also. During that time I did not question her sincerity and was blessed by many aspects of her teaching. I am glad that you pointed this out, because I do not think it was her fault. It is just that sometimes we tend to idolize people in the faith. I am sure that the effect she hoped to have, I may have even heard her say, was that women would get into the word of God and apply it to their lives. But, what happens sometimes not just with Beth, but with many megaministry is that WE allow it to substitute for our own passionate study of the Word. I would see many women preparing for the lessons and memorizing scripture--it was great to see. But, there were just as many who were talking about what she was wearing. It is more a commentary on some of us than on her. I hope that I do not sound as if I am criticizing her personally.