Menu

How many times per week do you do the following subjects:

Michelle T

Grammar? 4x

Writing? Everyday in some form or other - Writing, editing, dictation, copywork. Usually, 2 per day.

History? 4x

Science? 3-4x . Scheduled for 4, but sometimes it's dropped.

Geography? 2x, but now we are doing it with TOG, so it's turning into 1x

Bible/Religion? Everyday.

Grammar-Not formally covered. My oldest will start Junior Analytical Grammar soon and then she will do it daily.

Writing-Again I don't do formal writing till 3rd grade, my oldest writes daily.

History-4x a week, one day off for grocery shopping and errands.

Science-Same as history.

Geography-Daily, just one or two places a day.

Bible/Religion-Daily one on one with each child.

Heather

I use K12 through a VA and they have it scheduled this way

History 3X week

Science 2Xweek

Art 2X week

Music 2Xweek

Math and LA 5X week.

I found that schedule very difficult, so I changed it this way

History/Science/Art/Music Once a week

Math and LA 5 times a week.

This schedule leaves us with only Math and LA on Friday which we can easily add on to another day of the week if we need a day off.

Bible/Religion is done daily seperately.

Piano lessons once a week.

This schedule makes our History day kinda tough (3 lessons) , but I much prefer this semi-block schedule. That way I only have to get out Science and Art and Music supplies once a week.

Grammar - daily, via Latin daily and GWG 3x week

Writing - copywork daily, next year formal program

History - 2x week, would like it to be 3x week but it never gets done the 3rd day!

Scinece - 1x week

Geography - daily, my son uses Evan Moore Daily Geography, next year Trail Guide daily

Bible - daily

We are doing 5-8 math lessons per week. But this is because we are using Saxon, and running a little behind, so I'm playing catchup. We will probably cut back to 5 lessons per week in the Fall when DD starts hitting lots of new material. DD also does quartermile math every day for 20 minutes for fact review.

Grammar: 5 lessons/week. We use Rod and Staff. We do the writing assignments as writing rather than as grammar, so this is 5 normal grammar lessons/week. I count the review lessons as a grammar lesson.

Writing: Every day. Either a Rod and Staff grammar text writing assignment, or a Writing Strands assignment (usually I consider a WS assignment to be half of what they call a week's worth of writing), or significant subject area writing in history or science, or a creative writing assignment. I don't count uncorrected subject area writing as writing unless DD also does some other editing that day, such as with Editor in Chief. Spelling--4-6 days per week; using Phonetic Zoo.

Grammar?

Writing?

History?

Science?

Geography?

Bible/Religion?

Grammar - daily

Writing whenever it comes up in the grammar book (R&S)

History - TOG, however many days it takes. Sometimes it's daily others it's one or two.

Science - 2 days with my G students, daily with my D student

Geography - as mapwork comes up with TOG

Bible/ Religion - daily. I expect the kids to read at least a chapter in their Bibles every day if it's for school or not.

My son (10 next month) does desk work four days each week, with Wednesdays off for projects, twice-monthly science classes and just relaxing.

Grammar? - He does Spanish, Latin or both all four days, and we discuss grammar as appropriate as he goes along. In addition, he is going through English Prep, and we do grammar explanations and exercises in there once every couple of weeks.

Writing? - Not as often as we should, honestly. He writes something "significant" about every third week, when it comes up in English Prep.

History? - We combine history and literature, and he does at least some reading all four days. He also usually watches one history-related DVD spread over two days.

Science? - He reads from his science texts three or four days each week and watches an occasional science-related DVD or TV show maybe once a week. He takes classes at the local science museum that meet twice a month for four hours each time. They do lots of hands-on stuff there, but we also do an occasional experiment or project on Wednesdays when he's enthusiastic about it.

Geography? - Argh. You caught me. We're doing next to no geography this year. He has a subscription to Top Secret Adventures from Highlights, but they just keep piling up on the shelf. Currently, the plan is to have him take the middle school World Geography class through Florida Virtual School next year in order to make sure we cover this in some more systematic way.

Bible/Religion? - Again, we're not reallly doing anything formal with religion this year. He attends religious education classes at our church, and in previous years we've done some comparative world religion. Next year, I plan to include a fair amount of philosophy in his reading and to discuss religion as it comes up.

--Jenny

Grammar? Daily

Writing? Twice a week but this will probably change next year when we start the new writing program.

History? Daily

Science? Daily

Geography? 1-2 a week with History but we just bought Daily geography practice from Evan-Moor so that will change.

Bible/Religion? We do not do this as a subject but Church Sunday and Wednesday. DS also has youth devotionals on Fridays.

Our schedule is somewhat flexible -- I try to go on a week by week basis of what *really* needs to be focused on, and hit that hard every day of that week. But on the *average*, this is what we're doing for 8th and 9th grade this year:

Bible = 5x/week

Writing = 4-5x/week

Math = 4-5x/week

Literature = 4x/week

Spelling = 4x/week

Science = 3-4x/week

Grammar = 3x/week

History = 2/week

Geography = 2x/week

Miscellaneous book/subject (right now, "Money Matters for Teens) = 2x/week

PE = 2x/week

Logic = 1x/week

homeschool group/student council = 1x/week

Grammar? Daily

Writing? Daily when I'm not studiously ignoring it.....

History? M,W,F for 90 minutes this year; next year M,W for 2 hours with any remainder finished on Fridays

Science? T,R for 90 minutes this year; next year, T,R for 2 hours with any remainder finished on Fridays

Geography? Daily; next year will be 30 minutes on M,W,F

Bible/Religion? Daily

Regena

Grammar?

Writing?

History?

Science?

Geography?

Bible/Religion?

Trying to work out a new schedule for our studies, and I'm going back and forth over scheduling those topics.

Thanks!

MichelleT

Grammar is done daily. We're using Rod and Staff English, and we do a lesson a day, whether it's a grammar or writing exercise.

History, M-W. We're using MOH, so it just works out well to do it that way.

Science, Th. We're using CKEB and doing it in one day instead of the suggested two days.

Geography, M-T. We're just using a workbook that I got at B&N, and it breaks nicely into one, two-part lesson a week.

I'm embarrassed to say, we don't do any formal religious study; something I do plan to fix soon.

Grammar?

Writing?

History?

Science?

Geography?

Bible/Religion?

Trying to work out a new schedule for our studies, and I'm going back and forth over scheduling those topics.

Thanks!

MichelleT

grammar every day- rod and staff

history 2 days a week

science 3 days a fortnights.

writing mostly in history/ science not as a separate subject.

geography political geography covered in history, physical geography covered in science

MelissaL

Grammar - we switched from doing FLL to doing incidental grammar so I would say we do that every day in some context or another.

Writing - right now is just copywork and we do that everyday.

History - 2x a week for about an hour to an hour and a half

Science - same as history

Geography - haven't started anything separate from the maps included in SOTW 1

Bible/Religion - every day

:D

Grammar?

Writing?

History?

Science?

Geography?

Bible/Religion?

But! Regularly....

History 3-4 days a week, writing is daily... although in different forms... History, literature, copy work, science and bible study... I count it all... Science is 3 days a week for Ry and 5 days a week for Christian. Bible study and reading the bible 5-7 days a week. Geography at least once or twice a week, but not necessarily labeling maps. We go over main objectives...

My girls are 11 and 15.

For second grade:

Grammar? not much but next year it is scheduled daily

Writing? We do 1 composition a week but work on it over the course of 3 days. It is generally 4 to 6 sentences long. Next year we will be doing some longer pieces.

History? Almost daily but we read living books at bedtime.

Science? My dd requests daily but I would be ok with once a week or 1 week a month.

Geography? The map is above my dd's bed so we do this all the time. She is always asking questions about this place or that place and what it is like there. I also mark on the map where our stories take place.

Bible/Religion? This is a life skill for us not a subject. God's influence and our Christianity is something we learn about as we go about our daily tasks and espeically when we hit roadblocks in life. I don't schedule it as a subject because to us it is a life skill. :)

Writing- ever day (that might be dictation or narrations for a 3rd gr)

History- 2x/week

Science- 2x/week

Geography-other than the map in SOTW's AG 1 and playing with "the smart globe", nada

Bible-verse memorization about 4x/week, family devotional time about 3x/week

Weeks of Grammar alternated with weeks of Writing - 4x

Weeks of History alternated with week of Science (reading 4x, notebook or experiments 1x)

We also do informal science, I teach a co-op science class, and we do Summer Science

Geography 1x

Bible/Religion 4x

We do all the table work 4 days and save 1 day a week for "Hands-on" We do notebooking, science experiments, geography, art, music, and the like on that day - no "book work."

Grammar?

My 6 yo begs for FLL every day. In the past, I haven't done any grammar until they started a writing program. My 9 yo does grammar 1X a week and my 12 yo does grammar 2X a week. My 12 yo also does Latin twice a week.

Writing?

The 9 yo and 12 yo write every day. Some days it is copywork. My 9 yo does a formal writing piece once a week and my 12 yo does two pieces a week. One is a rough draft and the second is a revision.

History?

2 - 3X a week for the older two. I read aloud to the younger two from a history book 4 - 5X a week.

Science?

We rarely get to science. My goal is to have my 9 yo and 12 yo's doing this 2X a week.

Geography?

1X a week

Bible/Religion?

My older two study Hebrew almost every day, including the weekends. My eldest has Torah reading every day. Depending on where we are in history, I will include Bible or Jewish history. Or not. They have a really great Saturday school on the weekends, so I don't really worry much about the religious training.

11 yo:

Grammar: Was daily and is now 3X/week

Writing: Daily

History: Daily

Science: Daily

Geography: 4X/week

Bible/Religion: 0X/week at the moment, used to be 2-3X/week (we are not religious). I am hoping to get this up to 2X/week again.

6 yo:

Grammar and writing are incorporated in K12 Language Arts. He does LA daily.

History: K12 history 4X/week

Science: K12 science 4X/week

Geography: K12 geography is incorporated with the history--4X/week

Bible/Religion: 0X/week at the moment, used to be 2-3X/week (we are not religious). I am hoping to get this up to 2X/week again.