Menu

Nursing A s t a r v i n g baby makes people squeamish...

If you were in Africa and you saw a baby who was starving to death and you had milk, would you nurse that baby?

Salma Hayek did and Entertainment Weekly gave the youtube clip it's biggest "eyebrow raiser" of the day!

mkay, this is just too much for me to comprehend. I guess people think she could've pumped into a bottle to give to the kid or given him formula?

BTW, this is not a thread about the merits of BF! I formula fed one of my babies out of necessity and he is bright, healthy, and strong and I'm so thankful that I had formula to feed him!

This is really just surprise that someone would breastfeed a STARVING baby and be seen as icky!

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

You know - I've always felt the selling of b--ast milk on ebay and whatnot was gross and opportunistic. That's just my opinion - please forgive me if I offend. Without time to process the article - just a quick read - it strikes me as beautiful, compassionate and just very tender. Yes, she's making a statement to the men - but in support of the health and safety of the babies (and the moms). I think much more highly of her now.

Heck yea I would! I didn't read the article, but was the mother of the starving babe there? Did she ask her to do it? I certainly wouldn't nurse someone elses baby without permission, but yes, I'd do it.

I did donate breastmilk to a woman whose baby wasn't able to tolerate formula and she didn't make enough for him (after reduction surgery). So, I didn't actually nurse her babe, but I helped him out!!

I don't care. People will find *anything* to scoff at. According to GMA this morning, more people are reacting positively to the story than not. And it appears Salma is inadvertently starting a bigger breastfeeding advocacy push than anything.

I think it's amazing and honorable what she did and very inspiring. So many people would have looked on the situation and thought, "what good is one feeding going to be to a starving baby? After I leave, he'll be starving again." A little help can go farther than one could dream. I'm so proud of her for doing what needed to be done, when it needed to be done.

Heck yea I would! I didn't read the article, but was the mother of the starving babe there? Did she ask her to do it? I certainly wouldn't nurse someone elses baby without permission, but yes, I'd do it.

I did donate breastmilk to a woman whose baby wasn't able to tolerate formula and she didn't make enough for him (after reduction surgery). So, I didn't actually nurse her babe, but I helped him out!!

I would nurse him too.

I have nursed 3 babies that were not my own - with permission of course.

I pray that what she did will send a wake-up call to the local women she meet with, to fight the tribal taboos on breastfeeding (the men don't like to have sex with nursing women). Because of this, their children are sick and dying for the lack of their milk (no clean water or $ for formula) as well as from Tetanus. I just hope they find the inner strength to stand up to the men.

You know - I've always felt the selling of b--ast milk on ebay and whatnot was gross and opportunistic. That's just my opinion - please forgive me if I offend. Without time to process the article - just a quick read - it strikes me as beautiful, compassionate and just very tender. Yes, she's making a statement to the men - but in support of the health and safety of the babies (and the moms). I think much more highly of her now.

:eek: I had no idea people sell milk on ebay! No way! I'd rather use formula (and did!)

It must be so hard to live such a very public life. I think she did a beautiful thing. It's similar to that "one starfish" story, about the man who comes across the boy on the beach, who is throwing one of the thousand stranded starfish back into the water. When asked why he's doing it, how can it possibly matter, when there are so many, he says, "It matters to this one."

What she did matters, even if it can't be sustained.

It must be so hard to live such a very public life. I think she did a beautiful thing. It's similar to that "one starfish" story, about the man who comes across the boy on the beach, who is throwing one of the thousand stranded starfish back into the water. When asked why he's doing it, how can it possibly matter, when there are so many, he says, "It matters to this one."

What she did matters, even if it can't be sustained.

Yes. At that moment - to that baby - it mattered. And it mattered to his mother.

I have actually thought about doing this.

I have to eat well and drink well to produce it. That takes money.

People pay the money for the farmers to milk the cows.....

I hear what your saying but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying milk off of ebay for my infant. If my baby were starving to death, and a mother saw that my baby is starving/near death and offered to nurse him, I would be so thankful. But if I'm going to buy milk, I'll buy formula. It worked out fine for us. If I had, say a friend or neighbor who had pumped extra milk, I would gladly take it and do something for her like make dinner for her family or whatever she needs but I would never buy it off of ebay.

Yet, my heart bleeds wondering what will happen the next time the baby is hungry.

BTW, I also wonder why, if the baby is only a week old, could not the mother have nursed him? Moot point, I know, but it makes me very sad.

Yuck factor? None.

Because nursing is looked down upon in Africa. The men do not want to have sex with their nursing wives so they are discouraged from nursing.

Yes I would have, and I have in a case of a Mom not packing enough formula once (yes that seemed odd even though it was a close friend's baby).

I don't know about ebay, but I do know that many hospitals will 'clean' milk that mothers donate for other babies to use. NICU babies often get br**st milk from other people if their own mother cannot bf. I never made that much or my little ones were just pigs, but several friends donated to other babies through the hospital.

Hopefully those men will see that they are being shallow. As a Mom I could not even imagine thinking about having s*x while my baby was starving, so it seems like the men are shooting themselves in the foot.

I think it was a beautiful and selfless thing to do.

HOWEVER, I am not sure I would have ever let someone else nurse my children. With diseases the way they are now and the fact that you just never know about someone only based on the way they look and act, I just don't think I could do that. I suppose this has as much to do with my OCD as anything else, but wow. It would have to be a very close friend or the baby of a very close friend for me to consider it.

I was thinking that too. . .wet nurses have become more and more taboo as our society "evolves"
:rant:

It's like we're forcing reliance upon ourselves. You can't have a veggie garden in some places, because the HOA will complain, you can't compost for the same reasons. You can't live without electricity in some places, because of regulations. None of these things cause physical harm, but the have's (imo) are forcing their lifestyle choices on the have-not's, because it's easier than accepting someone different from yourself. Sneering down their nose at a woman feeding an infant, or calling a b-fing mom akin to a child molester (which I have heard in regards to myself), is society's way of keeping us in line. If one person's health food only comes with an 'organic' label, then it's believed that 'organic' is the only healthy choice. We've turned 'tolerance' into a way to be condescending and force others to our own levels.

A Chinese emergency worker of some sort who was also a nursing mother breastfed another woman's baby following an earthquake. The baby's mother was so grateful, and the story wasn't presented as disgusting in any way...the emergency worker was definitely the heroine.

(Duh...I hadn't read the Time article that was linked. Now I've read it...I'm glad they mentioned the China story because a hungry baby is a hungry baby with or without a natural disaster.)

Edited by Laurie

:rant:

It's like we're forcing reliance upon ourselves. You can't have a veggie garden in some places, because the HOA will complain, you can't compost for the same reasons. You can't live without electricity in some places, because of regulations. None of these things cause physical harm, but the have's (imo) are forcing their lifestyle choices on the have-not's, because it's easier than accepting someone different from yourself. Sneering down their nose at a woman feeding an infant, or calling a b-fing mom akin to a child molester (which I have heard in regards to myself), is society's way of keeping us in line. If one person's health food only comes with an 'organic' label, then it's believed that 'organic' is the only healthy choice. We've turned 'tolerance' into a way to be condescending and force others to our own levels.

Yeah!

Me and three of my g'friends nursed each other's babies - none of them would take a bottle if we weren't around. Our hubbies were SO thankful, because otherwise, none of us would have ever been able to go to a doc appt. or anywhere else we couldn't take our babies (they were all MOM!! screamers w/o the option to nurse).

asta

incredibly unselfish. That's a real mother's heart reaction.

I just wonder how it made her feel to know that she could only make a small difference on that one visit. That's what would overwhelm me -- the enormity of the need.

ps - have not read all the replies yet

I think what she did was absolutely wonderful.

I couldn't imagine hearing a baby cry for milk and be able to produce it and not helping. The mother, from what the article said, could not produce milk.

I offered to nurse a friend's baby when she forgot to bring a bottle to church for her son.

The fact that she did it publicly, drawing publicity to the issue of nursing, where it is considered so taboo by the men, makes it even more significant.

Good for her!

My dd breastfeeds. Her Bil and Sil have a baby five weeks younger and they don't breastfeed. They were visiting and they were out of formula. The poor baby was screaming. My dd had pumped milk in a bottle in the fridge and my dd and I both said give the baby one of these bottles and they refused to do it. Instead they drove the baby home to get formula which was an hour away and the baby had already been screaming for an hour. I would gladly feed a straving or even just hungry baby and would be thrilled if someone agreed to do the same for my baby. Not only that but if I were ever in a Donner party situation and my older children were starving, I would do the same for them. Granted this would be a bit more awkward but I would not let my children die because of that. Many babies had wet nurses not so terribly long ago. I really just don't understand people's squeamishness on this subject. And germs and diseases are really no excuse in a life or death situation. The remote possibility that you might get a disease that could kill you someday does not compare with the immediacy of starving right now.

I would be afraid to. Sorry. I have had mastitis multiple times after DS was born.

I would try to pump milk for the baby and use a bottle. And I would follow up by getting the babies mother nourished and trained in the art of breastfeeding so that she could feed him.

I think what Salma did was wonderful in many ways.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I think it was awesome of her to do that. She gave so much more than just milk in doing that. I and another friend have both shared breastmilk with friends (I pumped for a friend and the other friend actually nursed a neighbour's newborn baby when the parents got stuck in a big city traffic and were HOURS late...they were okay with it, btw, and there had been NOTHING else to give the baby).

Absolutely I would. I have no problem with wetnursing.

In my community, there's also lots of breastmilk being shared privately.

I am also fortunate to live in a city where we have an official breastmilk bank. One of my lactation colleagues, whom I sit with on some committees is a passionate promoter of breastmilk banking and has I think pretty much singlehandedly kept this going in our city.

http://www.hmbana.org/

There are locations throughout North America and we can have milk flown to areas. Priority is given to babies in NICU. I know some people whose babies benefited from banked breastmilk in this way.

I have also read case studies of adults with various cancers benefiting from human milk.

If you are currently lactating, pls consider donating to the milk bank. There's usually more demand than supply.

Remember the order of ideal foods for an infant is this:

1. mother's own milk at the breast

2. if that's not possible, mother's own milk delivered in another way

3. if that's not possible, donor human milk

4. if that's not possible, artificial breastmilk substitute aka formula

Developing the infrastructure to make #3 possible has been a challenge...

Absolutely I would. I have no problem with wetnursing.

In my community, there's also lots of breastmilk being shared privately.

I am also fortunate to live in a city where we have an official breastmilk bank. One of my lactation colleagues, whom I sit with on some committees is a passionate promoter of breastmilk banking and has I think pretty much singlehandedly kept this going in our city.

http://www.hmbana.org/

There are locations throughout North America and we can have milk flown to areas. Priority is given to babies in NICU. I know some people whose babies benefited from banked breastmilk in this way.

I have also read case studies of adults with various cancers benefiting from human milk.

If you are currently lactating, pls consider donating to the milk bank. There's usually more demand than supply.

Remember the order of ideal foods for an infant is this:

1. mother's own milk at the breast

2. if that's not possible, mother's own milk delivered in another way

3. if that's not possible, donor human milk

4. if that's not possible, artificial breastmilk substitute aka formula

Developing the infrastructure to make #3 possible has been a challenge...

I ahve heard that human milk is extremely expensive. It is given freely, but storing it and testing it for disease keeps the price up.

I also want to point out why the infrastructure is set up that way. There are beneficial components of breast milk that do not hold up when it is frozen. They are gone, and fresh milk is much better for a baby. Of course, stored human milk is better than formula, but so many seem to think stored milk is just as good as fresh. (Some women stash a year's worth so they can stop nursing.)

That is absolutely beautiful. I'm so proud of her for doing what was right and good!

On a side note/rant: If companies like Nestle would get their noses out of the world marketplace it would be sooo much better. They have created an environment in 3rd world nations that breeds contempt for breastfeeding, but those women don't have access to clean water nor enough money for the formula in the first place. Hence the starving babies. There are so many things wrong with that situation, it makes my heart break. Not to mention that countries who are exposed to our Standard American Diet (SAD...) health quickly starts to degenerate causing illness, starvation and disease. Those people who've been lucky enough not to be exposed or smart enough not to listen to our profit hungry marketing are way better off.

Actually, I would LOVE to see Wetnursing come back as a legitimate means of work.

While I have fantasies of adopting a new born and breastfeeding them, I could not be a wet nurse. Forming that bond with someone else's baby and then having them taken away... I could not do it.

I would have loved it if someone local (preferably a neighbor or friend) would have given me breast milk (or sold it to me at the price of formula) but I would give it to the baby in a bottle because I am not going to walk around all day and night with a wet nurse by my side in case the baby is hungry.

If I was out somewhere and my baby was crying and I didn't have a bottle and someone could nurse him for me, I would be incredibly thankful!

I pray that what she did will send a wake-up call to the local women she meet with, to fight the tribal taboos on breastfeeding (the men don't like to have sex with nursing women). Because of this, their children are sick and dying for the lack of their milk (no clean water or $ for formula) as well as from Tetanus. I just hope they find the inner strength to stand up to the men.

Well.....then the men can wait.

My dd breastfeeds. Her Bil and Sil have a baby five weeks younger and they don't breastfeed. They were visiting and they were out of formula. The poor baby was screaming. My dd had pumped milk in a bottle in the fridge and my dd and I both said give the baby one of these bottles and they refused to do it. Instead they drove the baby home to get formula which was an hour away and the baby had already been screaming for an hour. I would gladly feed a straving or even just hungry baby and would be thrilled if someone agreed to do the same for my baby. Not only that but if I were ever in a Donner party situation and my older children were starving, I would do the same for them. Granted this would be a bit more awkward but I would not let my children die because of that. Many babies had wet nurses not so terribly long ago. I really just don't understand people's squeamishness on this subject. And germs and diseases are really no excuse in a life or death situation. The remote possibility that you might get a disease that could kill you someday does not compare with the immediacy of starving right now.

Especially when we get melamine in our infant formula and pus from infected cow teet in our milk. Pasturization allows for all kind of filthy conditions in factory farms.

Well.....then the men can wait.

Got that right. I know one American guy that had his young, and gullible, bride convinced that the doctor had to perform some kind of surgery for her to breastfeed (she hadn't started leaking yet in her pregnancy)...she got so excited and I about clobbered him (in-law) after I filled her in on how things worked. My words to him were along the lines of "selfish boob hog..."

I'm definitely in the minority here. I believe breast feeding should be done in private. What Salma Hayek did was a beautiful and maternal gesture. She seems like a kind and compassionate woman.

I abhor the concept of a wet nurse. It just seems wrong, creepy, and reminiscent of a mammy slave. I did nurse my first two, but opted to discontinue nursing the triplets after 2 wks. So, I'm ot anti-BF, but anti-sharing mommy's milk, I guess.