Menu

Nursing A s t a r v i n g baby makes people squeamish...

It was incredibly stupid. Nice. But stupid.

Did she know if the child had been exposed to HIV or if the child was HIV positive? Breastfeeding is one of the major ways this is passed from the bio-mom to the child and back again.

That would have been what would have made me run to the super market for formula or at the very least pump it into a bottle.

I think risk of transmission of hiv/aids FROM baby to a woman in this circumstance would be extremely low if not actually zero.

HIV can be transmitted from mom to infant through breastmilk so if the mom is infected it's a problem. Where access to safe water & quality formula is available, not breastfeeding is recommended for HIV+ women.

In areas where there is poor access to safe water, breastfeeding for 6 months with absolutely no other foods or water remains the recommendation, even for HIV+ women - because the risk of passing on the infection is lower than the risk of the child developing a fatal diarrheal disease from artificial feeding.

Breastfeeding is also not really a 'major' route of transmission. The majority of babies who are infected are infected in utero or during delivery.

Did she know if the child had been exposed to HIV or if the child was HIV positive? Breastfeeding is one of the major ways this is passed from the bio-mom to the child and back again.

Can you cite a source for your claim that she could have gotten HIV from nursing the baby? I don't believe that is a risk for women.

I abhor the concept of a wet nurse. It just seems wrong, creepy, and reminiscent of a mammy slave.

Throughout history and cultures, there have been women that nursed other women's babes in order to help each other. Sometimes that person was a servant or slave. Sometimes they were a nearby mama that was paid to assist in this manner. And many other times, they were just a neighbour or relative that was helping out in the moment. Wetnursing has a long history that extends beyond American Black Slavery. And when my friend nursed a neighbour's babe, the babe was black and my friend is white (in fact, the parents cracked a joke about the "turn around").

It was incredibly stupid. Nice. But stupid.

That would have been what would have made me run to the super market for formula or at the very least pump it into a bottle.

I wonder if the cows have anything that they can pass to us?

The one thing I do know - when my friend nursed my dd she was not on antibiotics due to infection as result of taking rBGH to make more milk. Dd did not get a dose of puss with that breast milk, of that I am sure.

I'm definitely in the minority here. I believe breast feeding should be done in private. What Salma Hayek did was a beautiful and maternal gesture. She seems like a kind and compassionate woman.

I abhor the concept of a wet nurse. It just seems wrong, creepy, and reminiscent of a mammy slave. I did nurse my first two, but opted to discontinue nursing the triplets after 2 wks. So, I'm ot anti-BF, but anti-sharing mommy's milk, I guess.

Done in private even at the risk of an entire population of babies dying?

I think that although her act of feeding this starving baby was beautiful in and of itself, she was really trying to make the point that breastfeeding is a NECESSARY option for these womyn. There is nothing sexual about it and the men in these nations need to get over it.

And while I respect your point of view regarding "mammy" wetnurses, I would like to say that I am white and have nursed other babies for free and because I WANTED to do it. There was nothing AT ALL creepy about it for me, the babies, or the babies' parents.

I think that although her act of feeding this starving baby was beautiful in and of itself, she was really trying to make the point that breastfeeding is a NECESSARY option for these womyn. There is nothing sexual about it and the men in these nations need to get over it.

And while I respect your point of view regarding "mammy" wetnurses, I would like to say that I am white and have nursed other babies for free and because I WANTED to do it. There was nothing AT ALL creepy about it for me, the babies, or the babies' parents.

This is so totally true! "Done in private" is thought of by most that choose this, because they believe that nursing is something s*xual. I mean, who hides their cows when their calves are nursing? Who hides their dogs when their little ones are feeding? Or those huge hogs when their wee ones are clawing to get their milk? My br**sts were the only natural way for my little ones to drink/eat/comfort themselves. Why should they be locked in a closet to eat? Who else does that? Only naughty children/people eating substances that they shouldn't.

I view babies/children nursing their mamas as something to commend, but even higher than that, I wish that it was as common as an unnatural rubber object sticking out of their mouth. I mean...wouldn't it be nice, if no one gave a second glance, except to notice how wonderful it is to have a happy baby?

I could care less if people choose or have to because of choices outside their control, to give their children bottles and formulas, but I wish that those who do have the choice....could give their children milk out of their natural containers (br**sts) without other people becoming crazy.

I am the most conservative Christian Mama, who wants others not to stumble, but I believe the real way to do this is to offer my child my milk in a natural way, to desensitize the lower half of the br**st as a s*x object. I mean, it's kinda funny that the top 3/4 can hang out...and not the bottom 1/4 when it's doing it's "job".

Ok, I guess I just think it's beautiful that she helped to teach others what you are suppose to do when a baby is hungry!

Carrie:-)

I would absolutely do it.

I don't remember what happened, but I was watching some sort of news with starving babies and children, and my DS was only a month or two old at the time, so I had lots of extra breastmilk. I just really really wished I could nurse one of those starving babies too, I had enough.

I agree. Modesty should not trump life. As for the mammy comment.... wet nursing has been done by way more peoples than just NA slaves, or even the larger group of slaves in general. I would consider that 'throwing the baby out with the bath water.' Some bad examples should not cause the entire action to be scorned.

I gave my nieces bmilk when they were in the hospital. I took the frozen milk with me along with some food for supper. My sil was so grateful, although my bil was a tad weirded out. My dd was a few months older and the twins had feeding problems. I know how hard it is to pump and to do it all the time while resolving feeding problems is challenging.

If I had to do it over I would have pumped more for them.:) Oh, and I would totally bfeed someone else's child in distress with the parents' permission. Happy baby, helathy baby