Menu

How many spaces after a period?

How many spaces do you put after a period?  

1. 1. How many spaces do you put after a period?

• What? We're supposed to put spaces?
    • Other, please specify

Okay, so I'm finishing up this paper TODAY (really!). But I noticed that I still put two spaces after a period though I've heard for years that it is no longer necessary. So I'm procrastinating and putting up this poll for no good reason :)

So how many spaces do you put after a period when typing at the computer?

I voted for 2, but now that I read your post I do remember my teacher in highschool telling me that in Wordperfect, it's not necessary because it will be automatically formatted to be correct. Obviously hardly anyone uses Wordperfect anymore, but I can't imagine that any other word processing software wouldn't do the same.

Are you sure your word processor isn't taking them out?

But like Melinda says, it's because of the fonts we have today. 2 spaces was needed for typewriters and other monospaced fonts. In fact, the last thread on this topic said that the board software here removes the double spaces for you when you post! LOL!!!

I hated the way my papers looked when i typed them on the computer in college with 2 spaces, i switched early on :D

The new standard is one, but I stick with two. See, right there. There it goes again. Or not! I don't like being insta-corrected. I don't think one space is adequate, it makes the end of a sentence harder blend too much into the body, imo.

Edited by lionfamily1999

I voted for 2, but now that I read your post I do remember my teacher in highschool telling me that in Wordperfect, it's not necessary because it will be automatically formatted to be correct. Obviously hardly anyone uses Wordperfect anymore, but I can't imagine that any other word processing software wouldn't do the same.

That's it exactly. In the old days of typewriters with fixed-space fonts, we used two spaces. Assuming you're typing this with any modern word processing software, only one space is necessary. The word processor automatically makes the adjustment.

On the other hand, it probably won't be a big deal to leave it as is. I doubt anybody would notice the tiny difference.

On the third hand, it's a pretty quick fix using a global find and replace.

Edit: And, gently, I have to say that one space was the standard back when I got my first editorial job after college, which was more than 20 years ago.

That's it exactly. In the old days of typewriters with fixed-space fonts, we used two spaces. Assuming you're typing this with any modern word processing software, only one space is necessary. The word processor automatically makes the adjustment.

On the other hand, it probably won't be a big deal to leave it as is. I doubt anybody would notice the tiny difference.

Edit: And, gently, I have to say that one space was the standard back when I got my first editorial job after college, which was more than 20 years ago.

Well, I had 2 spaces beaten into me in highschool typing class over 30 years ago.

I'm with Pamela on being unsure of people with 3 hands :lol:.

I took typing in school in 1992. It was drilled into me to use two spaces after a period. I like two spaces. It feels comfortable, and gives my thumbs an extra workout :lol:.

I took typing in school in 1992. It was drilled into me to use two spaces after a period. I like two spaces. It feels comfortable, and gives my thumbs an extra workout :lol:.

I took it in, hmmmm, 1984 i think.

I"m sure Mrs. Moore still chants, "asdf space jkl'semi"" in her sleep :D BUT, i quickly adapted to one space because the 2 drove me crazy. It never flowed from my finger tips and i was apt to turn in typed papers (not for typing class) in high school with ONE space instead of 2.

This must make me a typing rebel?!?! Or do i just have 3 hands??? :tongue_smilie:

Not sure I listen to people with three hands. LOL

Yeah, well, it does make things rather crowded on the keyboard.

Anyway, think of it this way: You're now using a different tool than you were using when you learned the two-space rule. It would be like saying that you don't care if you're using a microwave now. You were taught that a certain food takes 20 minutes to cook in a conventional oven, and therefore you will cook it for 20 minutes in the microwave, too.

I'm not in favor of changing one's approach simple because everyone else is doing it. For example, I still spell it 'catalogue,' regardless of the prevailing current usage. But this really is different.

Not sure I listen to people with three hands. LOL

I wouldn't either, normally. For a school paper, though, I would advise following APA (and thus using one space) unless your professor has specified another style.

For example, I still spell it 'catalogue,' regardless of the prevailing current usage.

I do, too. Imagine my shock when OpenOffice suggested "catalog" as the correct spelling. It's like text-ese!

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

ONE. I've grown up using a word processor, not a typewriter (though we did have one... By the time I was old enough to use it, it was really just for filling in forms). I guess I was on the edge (age/technology-wise) -- so I knew that if I were to use a typewriter, it would require two spaces after a period -- but it was just a piece of arcana as far as I was concerned.

Does anyone own one of those anymore?

My mom. :001_smile: She can't stand computers, so she still hauls out her trusty IBM electric typewriter when she wants to type anything... which is quite often. She also buys-up any other typewriters like hers that she can so she has spare parts. Unfortunately, most of the people she is writing to/ for prefer to receive everything via email, so my dad ends up taking her writing and entering it into the computer for her then emailing it for her.

We've all offered to teach her to use the word processor on the computer; she even took a class, but she says that the computer is unreliable and she doesn't understand it enough to trust it. LOL

Two years of typing, two years of shorthand, back in the 60s. Yes, changing to one space instead of two was a challenge :-)

HOWEVER, here's the reason:

On a typewriter, every character takes up the same amount of space--a capital W and a comma, for example, are each the same space. You need those two spaces after each period to be able to *see* where a sentence ends. Also, when you use your space bar, it is a fixed space, the same as that capital W or period.

Computer softeware, OTOH, kerns letters and spaces. That is, an upper case W takes up more space than a period. We don't need two spaces after a period any longer to see sentences. And--this is important--the spacebar space is not fixed; the software will make it bigger or smaller to fit on a line. When you double-space after a period, you can end up with rilly, rilly big, unsightly white space in your document, especially if you're using narrow columns, you've justified the right margin, and you are not hyphenating the text.

I know this 'cuz I do desktop publishing, and one of the signs of an amateur is double spaces after periods.

If you look through professionally printed media, you can see that there are single spaces after periods.

Wow! I thought this would be an obvious poll. I had no idea two spaces was ever a rule or so popular! I panicked when I voted ONE and saw how many said TWO, until I read the reasons.

I've never heard of two being the answer, and I'm in my mid-30's. I was always taught just to use one. Wow...I'm really surprised!

But you know, I haven't noticed on this board that people are using 2 spaces, which is interesting since that's the more popular answer. Hmm....

I thought you asking how many spaces after a monthly, you know, female montly...and I thought that was a funny way of asking. And then I thought what is she asking anyway?? I just had to open it and find out!

I went to school in the late 60's and early 70's. I then worked as a receptionist at my Highschool and then in a Doctor's office for several years. I did LOTS Of typing and transcribing. I know that the new rule is one space, but Ijust can't get used to it. I also was taught to put a hypne between the house number and the street number in an address. The Post Office online postal service wont' recognize addresses typed in that way! Soo frustrating..

I am hoping the word programs adjust for me and the ruts I am stuck in.

You should check your stylebook. I've mainly used MLA, & I'm pretty sure they still use 2 spaces, although I've been out of things for a few yrs.

If you're using Chicago or AP or something, though, I think there's a chance that it's different. An up-to-date styleguide should tell you, though.

There is only supposed to be one space now? I feel old.

I don't care what the current climate is. It is 2 spaces for a period and 1 for a comma. Period. See, 2 spaces after all my periods and 1 after a comma. You can take your new fangled notions elsewhere.

Long live the second space.

There is only supposed to be one space now? I feel old.

I don't care what the current climate is. It is 2 spaces for a period and 1 for a comma. Period. See, 2 spaces after all my periods and 1 after a comma. You can take your new fangled notions elsewhere.

Long live the second space.

:iagree:

Back when I learned typing-yup the kind on a typewriter (albeit electric)-it was 2 spaces. Once you've learned to touch type it's hard to quit using those 2 spaces.

Two and only two, please. One space makes.everything.run.together.like.this. and gives me a headache.

Barb

OK, wait. I'm misunderstanding then. What exactly is 2 spaces? I thought that was hitting the space bar twice. So it would look like this. See what I mean? If I have a sentence.that.looks.like.this., to me that is no space after a period. So, apparently I'm misunderstanding something. So is two spaces hitting the space bar once after a period, or twice?

Two.

These gals that think they're old in their mid-30's is a riot! "I took typing back in 1984". Oh please! I was married and had a baby back in 1984.

I took high school typing in 1977....on a typewriter. It is 2 spaces and my poor old fingers will never get used to any other. Yes, I am old and I'm glad the software corrects this for me.

And yes, I do still own a typewriter. :001_smile:

OK, wait. I'm misunderstanding then. What exactly is 2 spaces? I thought that was hitting the space bar twice. So it would look like this. See what I mean? If I have a sentence.that.looks.like.this., to me that is no space after a period. So, apparently I'm misunderstanding something. So is two spaces hitting the space bar once after a period, or twice?

LOL, no. Just making a point that one space feels cramped to me. Lame attempt at humor.

I haven't read all the posts, but thought I'd add my two cents worth.

When I went through graphic design training in college we were taught to use one space after each period. The reason behind this is that with the electronic age, our fonts are calculated very specifically to mathematical formulas and take up less width than they did in former days. You see, before our electronic fonts were available, printing presses used slugs for each letter that were the exact same width, and typewriters also used the same width per stroke. (Think of the Courier and other monotype versions of fonts you've seen.) That is when the practice of using two spaces began to be taught in typing classes.

With our modern technology, the kerning between letters and characters is much more precise. When you use two spaces between sentences it is wider than necessary and creates what is called "rivers" of white space within the body of text that can be glaring and more distracting than when the separations are narrower. One space between sentences is the same equivalent now as two spaces was in former days. So adding the second space makes the gap even wider. The idea is to pull the text together so it is easier to read, more concise, more attractive, etc.

If you are interested in this, try typing a full page of text using two spaces between sentences and then a full page using just one space. Compare the two pages visually and decide which one you like the best. Can you see "rivers" emerging between the words?

So, you see, this isn't just a "style" per se, there is a reason behind the rule.

Blessings,

Lucinda

OK, wait. I'm misunderstanding then. What exactly is 2 spaces? I thought that was hitting the space bar twice. So it would look like this. See what I mean? If I have a sentence.that.looks.like.this., to me that is no space after a period. So, apparently I'm misunderstanding something. So is two spaces hitting the space bar once after a period, or twice?[/quote]

Hitting the space bar twice after periods, exclamation points, and question marks.

I discovered something while playing with your text: The software this forum uses (if that's phrasing it correctly) automatically corrects to one space after periods, exclamation points, and question marks, even when you do two.

Edited by Ellie