Menu

How many spaces after a period?

How many spaces do you put after a period?  

1. 1. How many spaces do you put after a period?

• What? We're supposed to put spaces?
    • Other, please specify

Two.

These gals that think they're old in their mid-30's is a riot! "I took typing back in 1984". Oh please! I was married and had a baby back in 1984.

I took high school typing in 1977....on a typewriter. It is 2 spaces and my poor old fingers will never get used to any other. Yes, I am old and I'm glad the software corrects this for me.

And yes, I do still own a typewriter. :001_smile:

HA! I was homeschooling already in 1984.:D

Until I moved here to Texas 4 years ago, I also had a typewriter. And I did two spaces after periods/question marks/exclamation points. But there's only ever *one* space when working on the computer. It was tough, but I was determined to make my computer work look as professional as possible, and single spaces do that.:D

I stodgily stick to the two-space rule, even though I am aware that current style dictates one.

Me too. I know that the rule is one space now, but I just can't get my fingers to agree. (I don't think the iPhone is helping matters. If you hit the space bar twice, it automatically puts a period and then a space for you. So I do use the correct style there, but I'm still hitting the space bar twice like I do on a computer keyboard.)

HA! I was homeschooling already in 1984.:D

Until I moved here to Texas 4 years ago, I also had a typewriter. And I did two spaces after periods/question marks/exclamation points. But there's only ever *one* space when working on the computer. It was tough, but I was determined to make my computer work look as professional as possible, and single spaces do that.:D

LOL! Yes, Ellie, I'm aware that you are older than I am. Thank goodness someone on these boards is! But....isn't it just too, too funny how these young gals think they are soooo old. It tickles my funny bone.

I suppose that if I wanted some computer 'work' to look professional I would also make an effort to change, but honestly, I only type stuff on forums and it self-corrects, so my fingers and brain don't have to change.

Yet. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Katia
-er -er "older"....not "old". So, so sorry!

Plus, I still think Pluto is a planet, so it's probably hopeless... :)

Amy

:iagree: I also think Pluto is a planet.

Reminds me of my grandmother (born in 1899), who was of the firm belief that giving babies orange juice was bad for their health......you had to feed them bacon drippings (fat) for them to grow properly!!

We used to smile to ourselves and think how we were so much more knowledgeable than she....(the poor uneducated fuddy-duddy). Now I'M the fuddy-duddy! What goes around comes around, eh?

PS: Hind-sight is everything. My grandmother bore 12 children....one died shortly after birth because a horse had kicked her in the stomach.....one died of ovarian cancer in her late 50's.........but all the others lived full, healthy, productive lives into their 70's and 80's. She herself lived until she was 95yo! Maybe there is something to say for old fuddy-duddy beliefs????

We go over this a lot in our writing group when talking about submitting to agents & editors.

One if you've done it in word processing software. Most wordprocessors will actually change the double space to a single - either automatically, or you can force it with the find/replace function.

Two spaces only if you've typed the manuscript (but really, really, really think about having it done on a computer & printed professionally).

I'm with Pamela on being unsure of people with 3 hands :lol:.

I took typing in school in 1992. It was drilled into me to use two spaces after a period. I like two spaces. It feels comfortable, and gives my thumbs an extra workout :lol:.

I took it in 98' and was taught two spaces. I totally agree, it's more comfortable ;)

Edited by lionfamily1999

I used two spaces for years and although it was challenging, I did manage to change over to one space in a pretty short amount of time. Now I don't even think about it. It's all a matter of how important it is that's all. If you want to create more attractive documents, then you just have to bite the bullet. If it doesn't matter, then who cares anyway?

BTW, if anyone is interested in Robin Williams' book, The Non-Designer's Design Book, I highly recommend it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Two.

These gals that think they're old in their mid-30's is a riot! "I took typing back in 1984". Oh please! I was married and had a baby back in 1984.

I took high school typing in 1977....on a typewriter. It is 2 spaces and my poor old fingers will never get used to any other. Yes, I am old and I'm glad the software corrects this for me.

And yes, I do still own a typewriter. :001_smile:

Hey now, i'm 40 - don't lump me in with them youngsters... AND i had it on a typewriter.... AND i still own a typewriter. :tongue_smilie:

My husband and I were just discussing this last week. I learned typing in my word processing class in college in the 80s and I learned one space. He learned typing in high school in the 70s and he learned two spaces. Lord forbid we should both be working on the same document as we spend of our time correcting the spacing issue. I believe that MS Word will correct to one space but if you go back and change it to two spaces then it will leave it like that. Anyhow, I was glad to see this thread as my hubby thought I was insane.

Two spaces. And I'm absolutely obsessive about it. After typing a sentence, I automatically hit space bar two times. If I pause for any reason before starting the next sentence, I will backspace two times and do the spaces over again just to be sure. I know, it's totally sad, but that's how it is:) I will stick with two forever!

BTW, I was BORN in '81 :D

Awwww... Gee, thanks, Bill!

(I knew my snobbery would pay off one day.)

You're welcome :001_smile:

However, in this instance being a inveteratist puts you on the dead-wrong side of modern word-processing and typographic page lay-out.

It is ONE SPACE folks :D

Bill (neo-inveteratist :tongue_smilie:)

LOL! Yes, Ellie, I'm aware that you are older than I am. Thank goodness someone on these boards is! But....isn't it just too, too funny how these young gals think they are soooo old. It tickles my funny bone.

Yes. Whippersnappers. :lol:

I suppose that if I wanted some computer 'work' to look professional I would also make an effort to change, but honestly, I only type stuff on forums and it self-corrects, so my fingers and brain don't have to change.

Yet. :tongue_smilie:

True that. I had to change because I was doing newsletters and stuff and wanted them to look professional. :D

Who would've ever thought that the way you TYPE would give away your AGE!?!? LOL!:lol:

I'm sad to see the two spaces go -- I like the white space. It's definitely an ingrained habit from typing class (Wow...24 or 25 years ago!) I just found out about it this week when dh heard me correcting ds' typing! Not wanting to look old (or unprofessional, Ellie), though, will help motivate me to change. :glare:

I used two spaces for years and although it was challenging, I did manage to change over to one space in a pretty short amount of time. Now I don't even think about it. It's all a matter of how important it is that's all. If you want to create more attractive documents, then you just have to bite the bullet. If it doesn't matter, then who cares anyway?

BTW, if anyone is interested in Robin Williams' book, The Non-Designer's Design Book, I highly recommend it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I love Robin Williams.:001_smile: I do disagree with her, though, on hyphenating words; I think they're "legal" and necessary. Of course, she's the recognized professional and I'm not, lol.

I think word processors can be SET to automatically space for you, but can be left to default like a typewriter as well. I just tested in both Microsoft Word 2003 and 2007 and it DOES NOT automatically change the spacing.

I'm only 27, but I learned to type on a typewriter and will never give up my 2 spaces! My 25-year-old husband is with me on this, though he learned to type on a computer.

I agree with one space.

Although you can use two spaces, one space is considered ‘correct.’ About 25 years ago in typing class, I was taught to put two spaces after a period. It’s been very difficult to break that habit.

Using two spaces was a temporary American practice. On a typewriter, every letter occupied the same space, so using two spaces after a period supposedly increased legibility. Computers have proportional spacing, so the width of any letter (or punctuation mark) varies, which makes legibility much easier.

Most (if not all) major style manuals (MLA, APA) specify using only one space after a period.

There are many reasons for using only one space.

• There was never proof that inserting an extra space improved readability.
  • Publications in print use only space, so if you ever submit your work to a publisher, they will request using only one space.
  • Using an extra keystroke for every sentence is not very efficient.

Typewriters use "monospaced" fonts -- the same amount of space exists betweeen all characters typed. Computer fonts are almost all "kerned" -- the space between characters is relative. So skinny letters like "i" are spaced closer to other letters in a computer font.

With any monospaced font, it's necessary to put two spaces after a period to guide the reader's eyes into seeing the end of the sentence. Computer "kerned" fonts automatically include this extra space with the period, so putting two spaces after a period on the computer actually looks weird with many fonts.

This is a classic case of people doing something without ever knowing why it was necessary. It reminds me of a story I read in Reader's Digest years ago.

A newly married young woman was having her first Thanksgiving in her home, and her folks were there to visit. The woman was thawing the turkey in the kitchen sink with a dish draining tray covering it. When the woman's mom saw it, she asked her dd why the tray was there. "But Mom, that's the way you've always done it." The mom replied, "Yeah, but you don't have a cat." :lol:

I love Robin Williams.:001_smile: I do disagree with her, though, on hyphenating words; I think they're "legal" and necessary. Of course, she's the recognized professional and I'm not, lol.

Funny you say this -- I always go into the settings of whatever program I'm using and eliminate the auto hyphenation of words. It drives me crazy! If you use a right justified format for paragraphs, there is no reason for hyphenating multiple times in a doc. The worst thing is having them on two, three or more lines in a row. Very tacky!! :tongue_smilie:

But that's just me and the fact that it was drilled in to me to polish up the text on everything I create. Sorry!

A newly married young woman was having her first Thanksgiving in her home, and her folks were there to visit. The woman was thawing the turkey in the kitchen sink with a dish draining tray covering it. When the woman's mom saw it, she asked her dd why the tray was there. "But Mom, that's the way you've always done it." The mom replied, "Yeah, but you don't have a cat."

LOL! This reminded me of a similar story about a young woman learning from her mother how to roast a ham. The mother didn't know why, but you were supposed to cut off the two ends when placing it in the roasting pan. In search for the answer they went to Grandma, who promptly told them it was so it would fit into the pan!

Yes, we do so many things in our culture without even knowing why. We humans can be so silly, can't we?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by LRB_0754