Menu

Tough question....Christian content. S/o Twilight thread

Okay, this may be a tough question for some and others may think it is too absurd to even answer, but I am curious.

First off, I am a Christian. I believe in God and heaven. I believe that a Christian will enter Heaven when the rapture comes and live there in peace and happiness for eternity.

However, a thought struck me as I read the Twilight series recently. Here is the question I am posing to you...answer as you see fit.

If you had the option to become immortal and make your family immortal (by becoming a vampire...I know...humor me...it is FICTION and hypothetical) OR dying and going to heaven, which would you choose? I am thinking here that a lot of people would say, "no...not if I had to kill other humans and drink their blood to survive...EEEWWW." I get that...but what if you could be like Edward and his family in Twilight...what if you could survive taking what you need from animals (just as we do NOW only we eat the meat and don't drink the blood)?? Would that change your mind?

Just curious...

Well, they can still be killed by other vampires. Even if they couldn't, I would say no because of an eternity seperated from the presence of God. The Cullens still hope they have a soul though.

I know. :) I like Carslile's take on things... and it mirrors the way I believe. Obviously I don't believe in vampires...but I do believe that it is not so black and white, cut and dry who enters the kingdom of Heaven. That is for God's judgement and not my own...and God sees the entire picture where I only see my little part.

As a believer I would chose heaven.

However, I see your point. I'm in no hurry to get there and I don't want to miss out on things here on earth.

Thanks, I was kinda starting to feel like a freak. LOL Obviously it is a non issue (no vampires around to bite me ;)), but I think my OCD/health anxiety play into my reasons for even thinking of the question in the first place.

As a Christian, I actually prayed about even thinking of this. :001_huh:

As a believer I would chose heaven.

However, I see your point. I'm in no hurry to get there and I don't want to miss out on things here on earth.

There is a song: "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wanna go now."

Life is good for me also. When I look at my kids, it is sometimes hard to believe that heaven can be even better. However, immortality would mean watching everybody I love get old and die. It sounds lonely. I would rather go with them.

I'm probably not your target audience for this question, but I find it very thought provoking. Regardless of where one thinks one will end up after death, or even if one believes death is the end, I wouldn't want to stick around forever. Seems as if it would get tiring.

And would this immortality mean our children would remain at their current ages? I look forward to my dc growing up, experiencing new areas of independence. I want to see them as mature people, even see who they choose to partner up with in life, and wonder if I'll have grandchildren, and what those grandbabies will be like. I don't want to give that up for living forever.

I'm also reminded of the main character in Stephen King's The Green Mile. He was very tired at the end of the book. All his friends and family had, indeed, died. When the mouse who was also given long life finally died, it was bittersweet. Bitter because of the death of the only creature who had endured with him for so long and foretold his own death. Sweet because death was not the enemy for him.

I'm probably not your target audience for this question, but I find it very thought provoking. Regardless of where one thinks one will end up after death, or even if one believes death is the end, I wouldn't want to stick around forever. Seems as if it would get tiring.

And would this immortality mean our children would remain at their current ages? I look forward to my dc growing up, experiencing new areas of independence. I want to see them as mature people, even see who they choose to partner up with in life, and wonder if I'll have grandchildren, and what those grandbabies will be like. I don't want to give that up for living forever.

I'm also reminded of the main character in Stephen King's The Green Mile. He was very tired at the end of the book. All his friends and family had, indeed, died. When the mouse who was also given long life finally died, it was bittersweet. Bitter because of the death of the only creature who had endured with him for so long and foretold his own death. Sweet because death was not the enemy for him.

Meanie explained well what I was trying to say. I love LIFE. Life is about growth and change, and moving from one season to another. It means being a child, than a woman, than a mother, then a grandmother, and eventually going home. I think without these seasons we would have nothing to look forward to and we would lose the wonder and the enjoyment of life.

I agree with the sentiment that I certainly would not want to live forever separate from God in the earth as we know it today.

I think that your feelings are understandable, and it is wonderful that you have prayed to God about this. He will see to it that his sheep have every desire. (Psalm 145:16) I personally do not find heaven inviting, which is why I am glad that my hope is to be one of those that Jesus spoke about when he said, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."-- Matthew 5:5. Those that have the Heavenly hope have had God's spirit speak to them and they really wish to be there. Those that have the hope of life forever on the earth would not be compelled to go to heaven.

There is more about why I believe not all of God's people go to heaven here and here.

Isaiah 65:17-19: "Here I am creating new heavens and a new earth; and the former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."

Edited by Lovedtodeath

This is one of those areas in which I seem to be much more conservative than some so-called conservative Christians. I won't read books or watch television shows/movies wherein people become vampires. I am strongly opposed to such entertainment. And no, the thought of living an immortal life as a vampire (or as anything else, for that matter) doesn't win out over eternal life with God the Father.

I'm also reminded of the main character in Stephen King's The Green Mile. He was very tired at the end of the book. All his friends and family had, indeed, died.

Both of these points are EXCELLENT and things I had not thought of in my original question. Thanks for bringing them up.

1st point... I assume you *could* wait until your children were grown to "change them" but then you have started a vicious cycle...when they find someone to love, they would want to change them...and then that person would want to change his/her family. Soon, it would be a world full of immortal vampires and then chaos would reign as it does now with no possible hope for peaceful salvation in the end. WOW!

2nd point... I can only imagine losing those your could not or did not "change" - your extended family, your friends. Wow...life would definitely become very sad.

Thanks for your post!

And it wouldn't really be immortal either since this earth will pass away, right? I'd choose actual immortality as opposed to perceived immortality.

That is a good point. The earth that we know today will be no more. I believe, however, that the earth that passes away is meant to be symbolic, not the literal earth. "The upright are the ones that will reside in the earth, and the blameless are the ones that will be left over in it." (Psalm 37:10, 11; Proverbs 2:20-22) Plus the scriptures say, "by the same word the heavens and the earth that are now are stored up for fire"—2 Peter 3:7, 8

This is one of those areas in which I seem to be much more conservative than some so-called conservative Christians. I won't read books or watch television shows/movies wherein people become vampires. I am strongly opposed to such entertainment. And no, the thought of living an immortal life as a vampire (or as anything else, for that matter) doesn't win out over eternal life with God the Father.
:iagree: Edited by Lovedtodeath

I just love this conversation - Heaven of course! But just imagine the conversations we can have with our kids when they read this, it is not just about lust, as some would say the Twilight series is. I think the real issue for Bella is lifetime with Edward or eternity with him (not Him).

Isaiah 65:17-19: "Here I am creating new heavens and a new earth; and the former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."

I think that your feelings are understandable, and it is wonderful that you have prayed to God about this. He will see to it that his sheep have every desire. (Psalm 145:16) I personally do not find heaven inviting, which is why I am glad that my hope is to be one of those that Jesus spoke about when he said, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."-- Matthew 5:5. Those that have the Heavenly hope have had God's spirit speak to them and they really wish to be there. Those that have the hope of life forever on the earth would not be compelled to go to heaven.

There is more about why I believe not all of God's people go to heaven here and here.

Are you Jehovah's Witness? I remember a friend of mine who was Jehova's Witness talking about "Paradise Earth" several years ago and her beliefs were similar to yours. Thanks for sharing!

Okay, this may be a tough question for some and others may think it is too absurd to even answer, but I am curious.

First off, I am a Christian. I believe in God and heaven. I believe that a Christian will enter Heaven when the rapture comes and live there in peace and happiness for eternity.

However, a thought struck me as I read the Twilight series recently. Here is the question I am posing to you...answer as you see fit.

If you had the option to become immortal and make your family immortal (by becoming a vampire...I know...humor me...it is FICTION and hypothetical) OR dying and going to heaven, which would you choose? I am thinking here that a lot of people would say, "no...not if I had to kill other humans and drink their blood to survive...EEEWWW." I get that...but what if you could be like Edward and his family in Twilight...what if you could survive taking what you need from animals (just as we do NOW only we eat the meat and don't drink the blood)?? Would that change your mind?

Just curious...

Can I have another option - is there such a thing as a vegetarian vampire? Maybe...beet juice? Red koolaid? :tongue_smilie:

Y'know...I don't know if this is along the same lines of how you were thinking there, but I wonder sometimes.....dargh. How in the bright blue blazes do I explain this...

Okay. It's true that not everything is peachy keen in this world. That's sort of a given. Heaven, on the other hand, will be...perfect?

Perfect. "peace and happiness for eternity"

um...forever? :001_huh:

...........and ever? :001_huh:

Life - this life that we live right here, right now - is ... not perfect. Far from it. But it's....breathtaking. Gut wrenching. Thrilling. Devastating. There's passion and anger and love and despair. Glaciers and wildfire.

I'm not explaining this very well, am I.

Life here, right here and right now... it's so ALIVE. Yeah sometimes it feels like someone drove a red hot blade right through your side - but that's all apart of being ALIVE.

eh, told ya I wasn't explaining it well.

(for that matter - how does happiness even exist without its opposite? Different game I suppose, but....?)

(and yes, I'm a Christian - one who's currently looking around for a bolt of wayward lightening. ;) )

a choice of living on a planet where Satan roams to and fro seeking whom he should devour. So, many people believe his lies and fallen into his prey. I like the idea of being in heaven as long as it is God's will. God may want me to stay and reveal the truth to those who are just believing the lies of humanity and help remove veil from people's eyes.

Heaven is a better place to be.

Blessings in the journey. May you find peace, joy, and love in the One who gives it!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony:seeya:

I just love this conversation - Heaven of course! But just imagine the conversations we can have with our kids when they read this, it is not just about lust, as some would say the Twilight series is. I think the real issue for Bella is lifetime with Edward or eternity with him (not Him).

Absolutely...and she has chosen eternity with him. However, she is mindful of her mortal family throughout the novel - in the end giving into her own love beyond description for a man who is neither human or mortal.

Unfortunately, something I would have liked to see is for a GROWN woman to make this choice. At 18, I would have probably chosen the same as her - but as an adult, we know that *that* kind of love just doesn't exist in this world - I want to be with my husband forever...I remember touching him and feeling those amazing feeling, my heart pounding at the sight of him...but things change as time goes on. I still love my husband deeply, but I know that forever only means my lifetime here on earth. Also, it would have been interesting to have Bella be a Christian...which is actually how I thought of this question that stared the thread. Would a Christian have made the same choice she did? Would the love for a man (a vampire) win over the love for God?

I love, too, how Edward is so torn...he truly loves her enough to NOT take her soul. He loves her enough to let her die and know he will be without her as she grows old (of course, this is not what ends up happening) but he fights it for so long (changing her) because he loves her.

Edited by Tree House Academy

Y'know...I don't know if this is along the same lines of how you were thinking there, but I wonder sometimes.....dargh. How in the bright blue blazes do I explain this...

Okay. It's true that not everything is peachy keen in this world. That's sort of a given. Heaven, on the other hand, will be...perfect?

Perfect. "peace and happiness for eternity"

um...forever? :001_huh:

...........and ever? :001_huh:

Life - this life that we live right here, right now - is ... not perfect. Far from it. But it's....breathtaking. Gut wrenching. Thrilling. Devastating. There's passion and anger and love and despair. Glaciers and wildfire.

I'm not explaining this very well, am I.

Life here, right here and right now... it's so ALIVE. Yeah sometimes it feels like someone drove a red hot blade right through your side - but that's all apart of being ALIVE.

eh, told ya I wasn't explaining it well.

(for that matter - how does happiness even exist without its opposite? Different game I suppose, but....?)

(and yes, I'm a Christian - one who's currently looking around for a bolt of wayward lightening. ;) )

Many people feel that way! They think that perfection is boring. But not to worry. We can have faith that God will...

(Psalm 145:16) "You are opening your hand And satisfying the desire of every living thing."

How exciting is your life now? Mine isn't I am bogged down with responsibilities and I have such a short time to pursue anything worth while. I look forward to meeting people from all different cultures, some of whom lived centuries before me. Studying all of creation in great scientific depth. Developing talents and hobbies that I don't have the time for now. Getting all of my questions answered. (What is the deal with dinosaurs anyway?) God has also promised to give us enjoyable work. And I can start that all over when I am done...

This is hard to explain: You know, I have an old Atari. I will get it out sometimes and play the same game that I have played a thousand times before. But when I put it away for a while, and then the game is fun again. The same with a good book, have you ever read one more than once?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Just curious...

Not a christian, and I don't believe in heaven, nor have any particular interest in going there if there should happen to be one. I do love this world and life in it. However, I still wouldn't want to be immortal either. The vampire thing is just plain icky.:thumbdown:

I would, however, hope to live a good long life. My g-ma would always say that "old" was five years older than she was, no matter her age when you asked. :) She was 96 when she passed. So... I'd think I'd like to get old. :D

Heaven. Actually a choice between life on earth and life in heaven is a false separation because the Scripture teaches that there will be a New Earth, and that paradise lost will be paradise found. This imperfect, fallen earth will pass away and be redeemed. As believers, we will inhabit the New Earth, restored like Eden. So, there will be no distinction between "earth" and "heaven" when the King comes back and restores His kingdom. I believe that we will continue to learn, continue to grow, and continue to enjoy things that we enjoy now -- only without the blight of this present darkness. There will be no separation between God and man, and our faith will be sight! Wow, thanks for making me think of this promise today -- it is awesome.

Ever wonder what we will be doing in Heaven? Just sit around on clouds playing harps? A great book on this is "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn.

Edited by Tami

Heaven. Actually a choice between life on earth and life in heaven is a false separation because the Scripture teaches that there will be a New Earth, and that paradise lost will be paradise found. This imperfect, fallen earth will pass away and be redeemed. As believers, we will inhabit the New Earth, restored like Eden. So, there will be no distinction between "earth" and "heaven" when the King comes back and restores His kingdom. I believe that we will continue to learn, continue to grow, and continue to enjoy things that we enjoy now -- only without the blight of this present darkness. There will be no separation between God and man, and our faith will be sight! Wow, thanks for making me think of this promise today -- it is awesome.

Ever wonder what we will be doing in Heaven? Just sit around on clouds playing harps? A great book on this is "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn.

:iagree:You said all I was going to say.