ncmomo3

Poll: Spouse in support of hs'ing  

1. 1. Poll: Spouse in support of hs'ing

• 100% on board and involved
    • Supportive/somewhat involved
    • Indifferent
    • Non-supportive
    • Opposed

It was my dh's idea to pull dd from ps and start homeschooling 3 years ago. He had to talk me into it. Now, I do most all of the teaching, but math is his area of instruction. He does all of the teaching around math and therefore remains very involved in hsing.

Sorry!!--I meant for this to be in General .. please forgive the newbie to polling. My dh is incredibly supportive and we have been discussing this topic after I had read some posts on another forum about spouses who were not supportive. I can't imagine doing this without him.

My dh is more supportive of hsing the longer we do it and the more he see of the type of education his friends' children are getting in ps.He doesn't always like my hsing methods...he doesn't quite get it that hsing takes less time in a day than regular school and that sometimes you can't force a child to learn something if they are not ready.He will sit in some days and help with math or science,he supervises the children some days, and once in a while he even goes with us to an outside activity.He doesn't care what curriculum I use and he doesn't care what it costs.

I need another choice: 100% supportive and not at all involved

Although he does plan to help with politics, government and current events when the children are in high school.

This is my situation...except there's no plan to help me teach anything! DH is very supportive, though...he just doesn't feel qualified to help. (even though he is and could)

My dh is also 100% supportive, but not at all involved in the day to day homeschooling, or curriculum choices. His support comes in making sure I get time out of the house, away from the kids (sanity breaks). And he is also very supportive of my attending homeschool conventions, and monthly support group meetings. And he helps with household chores, and driving kids to evening commitments.

My DH is indifferent about hsing. He tells me that he doesn't know how I do it that he would have given up the minute we started. He does not have the patience needed to teach an active young boy. He is fine with me hsing DS as long as that is what makes me happy. I know he thinks it is a good thing for DS because of other comments he makes though.

As for involvement, he doesn't do any of the homeschooling. His involvement is in supporting me. He backs me up with everything and has never criticized me or "followed up" on me. He also has zero to do with curriculum choices. While he'll hear me through, he has no real interest in methods or other nitty gritty hs topics. It's really the perfect balance for us.

We agreed to do this together. He may not pick the curriculum or teach the children, but if he did not want to do this, we could not be a homeschooling family. Right now, however, he is teaching the responsibility lessons. He is not a support, but apart of our homeschooling family.

My church and family are supportive of our family homeschooling.

Blessing,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

...although my husband totally believes in homeschooling, he's also totally delegated the responsibility to me, lol.

Don't get me wrong; if there's a problem, he'll step in, and he's always talking to the kids about goals, etc...but as far as helping practically...it's just not his thing.

And that's fine with me.

I like doing it, and I just believe it's better for us, this way.

My husband is 100% supportive and very enthusiastic, but he doesn't do a lot of actual teaching, though he's always hoping to be able to "next year." He's currently starting up his own business so he just doesn't have time to do teaching too. OTOH he's willing to get a housecleaner when the finances allow it, so that's support for me, right? Right!

My dh is also 100% supportive, but not at all involved in the day to day homeschooling, or curriculum choices. His support comes in making sure I get time out of the house, away from the kids (sanity breaks). And he is also very supportive of my attending homeschool conventions, and monthly support group meetings. And he helps with household chores, and driving kids to evening commitments.

This is my vote! 100% supportive and involved in different ways other than the actual teaching. I get "sanity breaks" often, help with household chores, and he does most of the read alouds.

My dh is more supportive of hsing the longer we do it and the more he see of the type of education his friends' children are getting in ps.He doesn't always like my hsing methods...he doesn't quite get it that hsing takes less time in a day than regular school and that sometimes you can't force a child to learn something if they are not ready.He will sit in some days and help with math or science,he supervises the children some days, and once in a while he even goes with us to an outside activity.He doesn't care what curriculum I use and he doesn't care what it costs.

Yeah, what she said! :)

He really doesn't care if we homeschool or not. He does seem proud of our kids' accomplishments and he offers the needed "cool" or "uh huh" when I prompt the kids to tell their daddy about what they learned that day. Basically, it is my job to see that the kids are educated and if I choose to do it myself, fine, but if I choose to send them to school, fine. I really wish he were more supportive and involved. But I read an article today about how even "uninvolved" dads are teaching their children and it was almost like it was just for me. Basically it said that dads that don't "teach" really do by their example - my husband works so I don't have to and so I can homeschool. He is involved in the church and community and encourages the kids to be also. And the end of the article was almost a slap in the face: I should be thankful for and focus on what he does do and not on what I would change (even though I would really like for him to start the conversation . . . "So what did you learn today?")

But my parents are both really supportive and are always giving us stuff to help with it. My husband's parents seem to forget that we're doing it until they are stunned when comparing my kids to my sil's kids the same age. . .

Lisa

He's 100% supportive, but not very involved... so I voted the 2nd choice.

He's left all the decisions up to me. If I have a concern we discuss it, but ultimately he's given me the control. And if I ever decided to put them in school, he would be behind me 100% on that as well.

Need another option

I need another option, too, because my partner is supportive and opposed.

He'd rather the kids be in school. He doesn't agree that my reasons for homeschooling are more important than his reasons for my working full-time. He would rather have taxpayers pay the bill for the kids' education. He feels that it's more important to put away money for college than to pay for a good education now.

But he sees that it's important to me and working for them, so this is one of the issues where he gives a little. He's very supportive in a practical way. He helps with the typical dad things -- indulging their hobbies, teaching them our business, looking over the math that's beyond me, taking them to sports type things (bowling and swimming), and getting them absorbed in The History Channel and The Discovery Channel.

We never fight about it. I kind of feel the same way about his Ghostbusters poster in the dining room. I would take it down in a heartbeat, except that he loves it.

I was just wondering what level of support there is from your spouses in your family decision to homeschool.

Let's see, his exact words were, "Either you can get a job and I will do homeschool or I will work and you can do hs." :D

Though his involvement is more being a rudder, talking about big picture, purpose, and goals than day to day involvement.

Heather

He works a lot and so I am definitely the primary schooling parent, but he is very supportive of hs'ing and definitely believes that 1) it provides the (by far) best education for our dc, which is *very important* to him and 2) it provides us with highly valued flexibilty to make use of the time he does have at home, and on vacations, etc to be together as a family without the constraints of a regular school. He has always been a super-involved parent and hs'ing has made that continue to be possible as the kids get older much more than if we were constrained by someone elses' schedules.

that depends on what your definition of "involved" is:)

If by "involved" you mean "spouse teaches at least one subject," well, no, then my dh wasn't involved. If you mean "100% on board with everything we're doing, and willing to put up with the kitchen table always being covered with arts and crafts, and dinners that are sometimes late because we were at a park day or on a field trip, and we visit all 21 California missions on a vacation," then yes, my dh was "involved.":D

I was going to answer like Melissa B: 100% supportive and completely uninvolved.

He does listen to me talk about it -- curriculum decisions, frustrations, break-throughs...it helps him listen supportively if I'm giving him a massage. ;)

He says he wants to be more involved, but the day-to-day reality doesn't allow it.

He is supportive but not involved. I'm not sure that I would say that he is even 100% supportive. My dh worries about our first-born not being where he should be for his age. He is slightly behind but I think that he would be behind in school as well plus beat up emotionally. Ds2 is ahead of schedule. Different boys and different issues.

I was going to answer like Melissa B: 100% supportive and completely uninvolved.

He does listen to me talk about it -- curriculum decisions, frustrations, break-throughs...it helps him listen supportively if I'm giving him a massage. ;)

He says he wants to be more involved, but the day-to-day reality doesn't allow it.

This is our situation as well. My dh and I made the decision to HS together. I make all the curriculum decisions, lesson planning, and teaching. He would love to be involved daily, but it never happens and really is just not practical given his job. He is supportive of me and our dd by acting as the "principal" if there are issues and he is our biggest cheerleader when we are discouraged. Last spring he even attended the big Nashville curriculum fair with us. He was surprised by how much fun it was. :D LOL

Yeah! What Ellie said!! :)

Though my dh has been known to take on a math assignment when my oldest son & I are butting heads.

Homeschooling was dh's idea. He is 100% committed to it. He'll listen to a kid read aloud if I ask him to, and he'll take over a math lesson here or there, when asked. He finished a science book for me when I simply could not face opening it again under any circumstances. And he's been known to read aloud occassionally. But he has to be *asked*, he never ever volunteers. And in eight years of homeschooling, that hands-on involvement probably averages out to less than a minute a week...

He also listens when I'm undecided about curriculum, rarely blinks when I spend money on school - even when money is very tight, brags about me to all his coworkers so they all think I'm a candidate for sainthood, and picks things up at the library so I don't have to.

I consider that to be involved.

Pretty much the same here: 100% on board, but uninvolved in teaching. He's somewhat involved in the sense of approving of a generous budget for books & conferences (he'll take a couple of vacation days so I can attend a conference this summer). But he doesn't like discussing the nitty-gritty of curricula like I do.

He suggested hs. when oldest ds was only 13 weeks old.:) We went to a seminar that some ladies from our church were having. After that, I did most of the research, but shared what I learned with him. He agrees with whatever curriculum that I choose. I do most of teaching right now. Dh will be completing his B.A. next year, and plans to be more involved after that, and wants to teach Latin to ds next year.