Menu

What workshops would YOU like to attend?

I'm working on my spring conference schedule. I'd like to offer some new workshops this year (especially at the Williamsburg conference we're hosting with Jim Weiss), and I'm wondering what you'd like to attend.

I've been thinking about a workshop addressing all the different types of writing your child will have to do that freshman year in college and how to prepare for it. Sound interesting? What else?

Thanks for any help,

SWB

I've been thinking about a workshop addressing all the different types of writing your child will have to do that freshman year in college and how to prepare for it. Sound interesting?

SWB

YUH!!!!

Yes, please!

What about upper-level study skills more broadly? What sort of tasks will be helpful in college, or at least in high school, and how to train kids in these?

How to craft a high school elective? Say, if your kid were interested in Psychology or Buddhism or business or something that you could make a semester-long class?

This is the area that keeps me up at night. I never feel like I'm covering enough. I get overwhelmed by trying to combine the writing, grammar, literature and forms and not knowing how to balance these things. Then there is correcting and re-writing...please, get me a paper bag someone.

BTW, I will be at FPEA :) if you are making plans.

maybe it's a bit cheesy but to be able to walk through a mocked up history, FLL, OPTGR lesson. To see it modeled in an sort of real to life setting so I can be the "fly on the wall" would inspire and help me to catch some new enthusiasm, verbage, methods for teaching these subjects. Kinda of a student teacher training session.

That's definitely a topic of interest. Writing is such an objective thing, and it's really hard to feel that we've done enough at home for college-prep. (Something I'm personally stressing over as my ds heads to college this fall.)

I'm looking forward to seeing you again at the Midwest HS Convention. I'm sure we'll plan another WTM get-together...hint! :)

Any sort of information on how to incorporate and expand writing would be a thrill for me. We are trying to expand writing with our seven year old, but beyond having her answer the Story of the World chapter questions (e.g. re-writing to incorporate the question in the answer, organizing them into paragraphs, etc.), I'm sort of stuck.

I guess I would just like to see topics on preparing for Freshman courses with a focus on earlier skill-building. :001_smile:

Is the workshop only for high schooler/rhetoric or will there be anything for logic stage or 4th-8th grade?

I would like a workshop on outlining and writing a logically flowing paragraph.

Will you have any workshops on how to do a First Language Lesson book like level 3 and higher?

Thank you!

May the Lord bless you always!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I'd like more ideas on what/how to discuss all of these historical novels I'm making my logic-stage student read. Unfortunately, after we've both read the book, the conversation is all too likely to go something like this:

Me: "Did you finish it?"

Son: "Yep."

Me: "What did you think?"

Son: "Good."

Me: because it has been three weeks since I've read the book and my preschooler is screaming and so my mind goes blank "OK, then."

I'm working on my spring conference schedule. I'd like to offer some new workshops this year (especially at the Williamsburg conference we're hosting with Jim Weiss), and I'm wondering what you'd like to attend.

I've been thinking about a workshop addressing all the different types of writing your child will have to do that freshman year in college and how to prepare for it. Sound interesting? What else?

Thanks for any help,

SWB

The writing one sounds great. Anything to help me see the bigger picture and work backwards from it. Would it include even more about teaching logic stage skills (expanding on dictation and narration skills, outlining, what's expected in rewriting from an outline) and how to teach progym/rhetoric/other composition skills in high school? Or could you make logic stage writing and rhetoric stage writing into separate workshops (separate from your Writing in the Classical Curriculum overview)?

And how about some kind of "reassurance" workshop - expanding on the WTM chapter about using WTM without losing your own mind. I love love love the detail provided in WTM - without it, I wouldn't know what to do. But being a person who gets bogged down in detail from worrying, I frequently need someone else to pull me out of the mire and point me back to the big picture again! Something along the lines of, how the details point back to the big picture of teaching our kids solid learning skills.

Do you already do some kind of workshop about teaching the logic stage and the rhetoric stage in general? Will PHP be putting more of these on CD to sell?

I'd like more ideas on what/how to discuss all of these historical novels I'm making my logic-stage student read. Unfortunately, after we've both read the book, the conversation is all too likely to go something like this:

Me: "Did you finish it?"

Son: "Yep."

Me: "What did you think?"

Son: "Good."

Me: because it has been three weeks since I've read the book and my preschooler is screaming and so my mind goes blank "OK, then."

Yes, me too, lol.

I've been thinking about a workshop addressing all the different types of writing your child will have to do that freshman year in college and how to prepare for it. Sound interesting?

Mmm, somewhat. I think (and it's evident from the replies here already) there would be a great deal of interest in this, but I'd rather delve into the unique aspects and opportunities of home educating older students. Sarah touched upon it when she suggested the subject, "How to Craft a High School Elective". As much I support and enjoy a liberal arts education, there are an array of interests and possibilities students can explore. Apprenticeships, electives, travel...How can homeschooling the high school years allow our kids to not just learn about the world, but increasingly be part of it?

maybe it's a bit cheesy but to be able to walk through a mocked up history, FLL, OPTGR lesson. To see it modeled in an sort of real to life setting so I can be the "fly on the wall" would inspire and help me to catch some new enthusiasm, verbage, methods for teaching these subjects. Kinda of a student teacher training session.

Yes!!:iagree::iagree: All of the curriculum looks great-which is why I order it, but then I look at it and go "Now what? How do I fit it all in and how does it work?"

Since my son is 15 I am mainly interested in college prep/SAT prep/ applying for college/what to expect in college etc type seminars. So if you offered the freshman writing it would probably make me want to attend.

Karen

maother to 15 yo ds

married to dh for 18 years

Edited by Mrs. Readsalot
added information

... so I was wondering if maybe my post was deleted. :001_smile:

But I would love to hear your take on literary analysis. Based on TWTM and TWEM, I have a pretty good understanding about your thoughts on tackling a Great Books study.

But I wonder about all the rest of this "literary analysis" stuff.

OK, OK - I actually have a pretty decent grasp on what I want to cover with my kids, but I would have paid BIG BUCKS $$$$$ a couple of years ago if someone could have nailed this thing down and crammed it into a smallish box for me. (And maybe I'm still not sure what I want here......)

1. What IS literary analysis - several schools of thought on this from what I can gather. Everything from - so what happened? to why did THAT author write THIS story during THIS time period? to Prof. Weinstein who seems to find a buried s*xual reference in just about every work of fiction every written. :001_smile: (Huh? I NEVER would have seem that.... not sure that I see it now. Is this a card trick or something? Am I the only one who thinks this is BIZARRE?:confused:)

2. Literary Analysis: what does an educated kid's tool-box look like? What does he know? How much should he be expected to "see" on his own? (Does it matter?) In other words if we tackle this, what's important? What should this look like for a 9th grader, a 10th grader, etc....? What kinds of analysis are they going to be expected to do as a Freshman non-humanities major? a humanities major? a regular college classroom? an ivy university?

AND DOES IT MATTER? Is it a healthy goal for long-term, lifetime enjoyment of literature or is it a detailed skill-set that's only necessary for jumping through that college classroom hoop?

3. What does a literary analysis "writing" assignment look like for a 9th grader? an 11th grader? Nuts and bolts please!

Hmmmmm..... so I guess it looks like I don't really know exactly WHAT I want you to talk about....

I noticed on your blog that you were teaching a creative writing class this fall. From the surface it looked like you were planning to help your students see HOW writers use language (and its devices????). I'd like more help developing high-school level goals that address that.

.... or is all of this better off saved for face-time with a college prof who can really TEACH this? Should I just focus on making sure that our high school "English program" makes sure that my kids read widely; can spell; have a reasonable strong vocabulary; can write a decent paragraph, essay, and short research paper; and know the difference between it's and its.

Are allusions for later?

Can you cram that one into a 45 minute box for me? 'Cause right now I have a box, but it still seems too BIG!!!!! I occasionally sit down with my "High School English" box. I lug it to the center of my mental floor, haul out its contents, and turn each "piece" over and over in my hands. They all seem important; I can't choose to set any of them aside. In the end, I never fail to conclude that we should be doing more not less, and that just seems WRONG!

And I'm getting tired of playing with the box. Sick of it actually.

PLEASE make my box more manageable. Where is good enough? Where is great? Because I'm getting tired of choices! Ten years of studying and worrying and wondering how to do a good job is taking its toll. I don't mind spending the time to do the work. It's the pawing through the boxes trying to figure out WHAT to do that's starting to make me detest the whole business. I mean REALLY detest!

Actually - instead of a conference, can you set up a phone-council service instead. I think I'm slowly heading in the direction of NUTS! :001_smile::glare::001_smile: I've studied this subject a bit on my own; I LIKE reading with my pencil in hand. But I think I've studied it too much. My kids look at me like I'm cracked! Is a classical education supposed to move you into the "nut case" category in just about every area? Because I LIKE it - but I don't have the time to teach it the way I want to.... so I'm finding that I'm NOT teaching it. And that can't be good.

I need a more reasonable set of "skills taught and learned for ____ grade" boxes to check. Mine are all whacked out.

Sheesh.... I sound like a nut-case. Can't decide if I should delete or post.....

anyway.... continuing....

(Can you tell that I'm having a bad day?......)

---------------------------

Where was I? Lectures.....

1. Could you talk about "Choices - a homeschooling mom's WORST enemy! .... or at least a potential enemy......." There are a LOT of materials available. :001_smile: Please tell us that we can't use them all! (I TELL people that they have to choose, but then I find myself secretly refusing to choose. Hmmmmm.... something nerve-unraveling about THAT!) Give us strategies for coping with options (and keeping our money so we can go out on dates with our husbands!) Give us strategies for developing long-term plans so we don't try to cover all the subjects every year using four complete curriculums for each subject.

After all - is hsing really supposed to be about more than schedule and checklist making?

2. or "What to DO when you wish someone would tell you that your doing ENOUGH in your homeschool?" When is enough, enough? And why do we desire the approval of experts when hsing requires a certain amount of rejection of "experts" anyway.

Oh - and one final thing. I've been to LOTS of conferences and have listened to LOTS of lectures. Plenty of folks are giving "encouragement" lectures - I personally am tired of them. I want a SKILLS-transfer experience! Lists! Goals! Advice that I can use! I'm so tired of hearing "about" homeschooling; I want data that I can use to TEACH these subjects.

And sorry that my whole post seem to be painted with such a cranky brush! Can you tell that I'm having an anxious morning?????? Yikes - it's afternoon; I've got to get off my hinder!

Peace,

Janice :001_smile:

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Ooh, yes! Literary analysis. My only experience here is with the lecture-hall sort of approach, which is obviously not what we're going for as homeschoolers.

(essentially everything Janice said above; she is clearly channeling my crazy as well as her own)

Interesting, Colleen.

I tailored my oldest son's high school to his interests, and he has received elective credit for his apprenticeship work. But, I tend not to delve into it on these forums because most folk are obviously focused on academics and the college admissions process.

I think many parents would benefit from a seminar on how to adapt a classical education for a non-traditional student, or how to combine classical education with vocational training. I know this is addressed in the book, and it could be expanded upon in a workshop.

And above all, if Jim Weiss is there, he has to tell stories in the evening for everyone! He was at the first homeschool convention I attended 9 years ago, and told stories after dinner. It was the ultimate warm and fuzzy moment, with kids in their pjs, parents completely mesmerized by his stories. When he finished, we floated back to our rooms, happy and unfrazzled and content with out decision to homeschool.

I would like a workshop on outlining and writing a logically flowing paragraph.

The writing one sounds great. Anything to help me see the bigger picture and work backwards from it. Would it include even more about teaching logic stage skills (expanding on dictation and narration skills, outlining, what's expected in rewriting from an outline) and how to teach progym/rhetoric/other composition skills in high school? Or could you make logic stage writing and rhetoric stage writing into separate workshops (separate from your Writing in the Classical Curriculum overview)?

I'd love to see something on logic-stage writing as well.

I also love Janice's ideas about Literary Analysis!

Hi Susan,

I'd like to see something more for the logic stage. There seems to be a gap there, esp in history. I see it here on the boards all the time--people love SOTW, aren't crazy about Kingfisher (and I know you are recommending something else in the latest WTM), and seem at a loss as to what to do. Also, there are lots of kids that really enjoy the hands-on aspect of history, but there's no AG for the logic stage. I know you can stretch a lot of the AG activities, but maybe showing us some other resources or how to go deeper into the logic stage aspects of history via activities, might be fun.

I also would appreciate logic stage writing help, and, having just had a child who is not a stellar student apply for college, maybe something about kids that are B or C students, but want to go to college--how should they prepare, what can they expect, how to tweak the WTM for more "special needs" (but not really special needs) kids.

Hoping I can hear you live one day--I can't thank you enough for all you've done.

Oh--one more thing--you could plug your new book about the Ancients and show how to use it for high school history!

Never saw your blog post--it got lost somewhere in the ether...

SWB

It's just as well. It made no more sense than what I posted here. :001_smile:

Janice

Who just ate LOTS of chocolate but is here to announce that chocolate doesn't always FIX everything! Off to listen to La Rondine with Angela Gheorghiu and Roberto Alagna on Met Opera Radio. It's already started, but maybe it will take the edge off. :001_smile: (Maybe I just need a bottle of wine and a big plate of PASTA coupled with a smooching couple of singers who don't have to fake it. (They're married.) :001_smile: Can you drink ALONE on a Saturday afternoon? :D)

how about an interactive workshop w/ the students themselves? Maybe where you work w/ them to pull together a paper on a topic of their interest? That way we get to see you 'in action' and the kids can be motivated to have worked w/ The SWB :D

But i tend to be partial to workshops that really speak to the student [even lower levels] as well as the parents.

more Lit Analysis gets a vote from me too :)

I would be interested in something along the lines of "Why Stay the course to Classically Educate through High School." Discussing the benefits this would bring to the college bound home educated student would be very interesting to me.

I've read your books, which is why I am committed to classical, but would still like to hear it again!

The need for guidance with literary analysis has come up repeatedly. Every time the subject came up I thought to myself I found a solution for this, but could not remember what I used. So I searched my shelves until I found the book and it is titled...The Well Educated Mind!

For the Hive-

This is how I used The Well Educated Mind with my dd for Literary Analysis. I had her start with Chapter 2. Before she began Chapter 5, I had her pick out a book from the time period we were studying and apply the principles taught in the chapter to that book. While the concepts were fresh in her mind, I had her pick another book from the period we were studying and apply the principles again. The second time was easier, felt more natural and less forced. Then we went on to chapter 6 and applied it to two books, and so on. This approach complemented what I was already teaching my dd and used books that I was already planning on having her read.

Susan-

Perhaps you could provide a seminar of how to use the WEM to teach literary analysis to high school students.

I also think it would be wonderful for you to offer a workshop on what will be expected in college level writing. The hardest part of teaching writing is the fact that there is not a teacher's manual to look up the answer to see if your child "got it right". It would be nice to know how to prepare your student for college level writing and how to grade it. I lost a lot of sleep worrying if I was doing enough with my dd, a work shop like would have given my peace of mind or at least allowed me to spend more time worrying about whether I covered enough in our science labs.;)

Edited by Kanga

Something like "Preparing Your High School Student for College Writing"?

Ooooh, I love it, but since I dont see you in my area any time soon, can we do Elluminate sessions or something online, so I can get in on the action.

I would definitely sign up for it.

how about an interactive workshop w/ the students themselves? Maybe where you work w/ them to pull together a paper on a topic of their interest? That way we get to see you 'in action' and the kids can be motivated to have worked w/ The SWB :D

But i tend to be partial to workshops that really speak to the student [even lower levels] as well as the parents.

more Lit Analysis gets a vote from me too :)

That would be FUN. Would y'all bring your teenagers so we could have a seminar?? I could do assignments ahead of time...and read rough drafts...and then we could have a final seminar...

SWB

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Hi Susan,

I'd like to see something more for the logic stage.

Yes. I agree. I feel extremely competent in teaching the grammar stage and the high school years are so far ahead for many of us. The standards for a classical education in the high school years are pretty high. I want to make sure that my kids come out of 8th grade ready for the challenge in front of them. Bridging the gap between grammar and high school would be tops on my list of seminar topics.

Kristina

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Inane essay writing: writing a nonformulaic 5 paragraph essay on topics of no intrinsic value (as prep for the SAT and ACT writing sections)

Seriously, my son writes well for stuff of substance, but chokes on the kinds of essay topics on exams because he feels he has nothing to say. How does one prepare to say nothing of substance impressively?

That would be FUN. Would y'all bring your teenagers so we could have a seminar?? I could do assignments ahead of time...and read rough drafts...and then we could have a final seminar...

SWB

I would sign up my teenager if we do it online. Any possiblities?

SWB

Susan,

I plan to attend and will bring my 13 yo. If 11 yo twin boys were not too young, I would love for them to also sit in on your seminar. I will be sitting in the corner busily observing you teach, and taking notes. I hope a class like you described will come to fruition.

Since you are asking for ideas, I'll just throw this one out! Maybe two classes - one for the older teens and one for the logic stage? I know your time is limited, but I would just love for the logic stage to be covered.

Looking forward to the conference,

Mary

who is not in NJ anymore, but only 4 hours away from Williamsburg! YES!

Edited by Mary in NJ
spelling

I don't think that I can homeschool high school here in California successfully. The A-G requirements for the state universities are just too detailed and the requirements are too hard to document.

So I would really like to know how to make the transition from homeschooling through 8th grade to attending a high school--how do you prepare your homeschooler for that change? Also, since a lot of 8th grade classes now can be college-preparatory high schoo level classes (such as Algebra 1), what is advisable in that regard? How hard should we try to get Algebra 1 or even Geometry 1 completed in 8th grade? What are the trade offs if we don't? (Personally, I think that DD would be far better off if she didn't have to do Algebra 1 in 8th grade, but that has become so normal here that I think it puts her at a real disadvantage for getting into a good college if she doesn't. I am even considering having her do a year of 8th grade as a homeschooler, and then enter school as an 8th grader to do her 'official' eighth grade year. Lots of kids start K a year late, and would be the same age as she would. It is so stupid to have to worry about this, but I do.)

Also, I think that some worked out demos of how to be a good writing coach at the middle school level would really helpful to see. Not the picayunish grammar and punctuation and usage stuff, but the organization, style, and substance stuff. I can do this kind of editing on my own writing and that of others, but I don't know how to TEACH DD how to do it. (I don't want to be her editor forever. I want her to be able to edit her own work.) (And in fairness, she is getting a lot better at it, but I still feel kind of ineffective at teaching it myself.)

That's definitely a topic of interest. Writing is such an objective thing, and it's really hard to feel that we've done enough at home for college-prep. (Something I'm personally stressing over as my ds heads to college this fall.)

I'm looking forward to seeing you again at the Midwest HS Convention. I'm sure we'll plan another WTM get-together...hint! :)

Sandy!! I am going!! My dh and the kids will be going with me but will tour the Creation museum and swim at the hotel while I am at the convention. We can meet up again!!

HOlly

But I would love to hear your take on literary analysis. Based on TWTM and TWEM, I have a pretty good understanding about your thoughts on tackling a Great Books study.

But I wonder about all the rest of this "literary analysis" stuff.

1. What IS literary analysis - several schools of thought on this from what I can gather. Everything from - so what happened? to why did THAT author write THIS story during THIS time period? to Prof. Weinstein who seems to find a buried s*xual reference in just about every work of fiction every written. :001_smile: (Huh? I NEVER would have seem that.... not sure that I see it now. Is this a card trick or something? Am I the only one who thinks this is BIZARRE?:confused:)

2. Literary Analysis: w

AND DOES IT MATTER?

3. What does a literary analysis "writing" assignment look like for a 9th grader? an 11th grader? Nuts and bolts please!

Are allusions for later?

Can you cram that one into a 45 minute box for me? 'Cause right now I have a box, but it still seems too BIG!!!!! I occasionally sit down with my "High School English" box. I lug it to the center of my mental floor, haul out its contents, and turn each "piece" over and over in my hands. They all seem important; I can't choose to set any of them aside. In the end, I never fail to conclude that we should be doing more not less, and that just seems WRONG!

And I'm getting tired of playing with the box. Sick of it actually.

Sheesh.... I sound like a nut-case. Can't decide if I should delete or post.....

a

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I agree with everything single thing you wrote Janice!!!! I had to delete alot of your post because it was too long for a quote! My point is your post is a dead hit on the nail for me. So THANK YOU for putting to words exactly my thoughts!! :grouphug:

Holly

Wouldn't that be cool? (Okay, well...I don't know how cool the teens would find it...Maybe the adults among us could play the role of teens?:tongue_smilie:)

I'm seriously considering tying this conference in with a field trip back East, so my guys ~ including a teen ~ would be along for the ride.:)