Menu

Vent: primary care appointments

TexasProud

So I probably caught something when I went in to do my biopsy last Wednesday.  Started showing symptoms on Friday afternoon. Sore throat, headache, a little bit of congestion. Didn't go anywhere. Monday morning I went to Walgreens to get a flue, Covid test. I only have congestion by then. Sore throat and headache are gone.  Both are negative.  I am just tired.  Still congested and now coughing.  Have been taking Niquil cold and flu nighttime and daytime off and on. So I am leaving tomorrow to start heading to Indiana.  I am blowing out some yellow. So might be turning into a sinus infection.  First thing this morning I look and the soonest I can get any kind of appointment either with my own primary care or anyone in the practice, in person or virtual is Monday.  Heck.  I could be septic or completely well by then.

Our primary care doc is a friend of ours, in our Sunday School class, will probably play the doctor card and have my husband text him. (Husband is still in Africa.) But most people do not have that option.  It is absolutely ridiculous that a "regular" person can no longer get a primary care appointment within a reasonable amount of time.  No wonder the urgent care is so popular...

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

I will say that I am dreading when our primary care retires.  He turns 65 this year.  The other friend in the practice is our age and will be retiring soon as well.  All the others I knew started when my husband started and have all retired as well.  There are just 2 others in the practice...  Not enough.  Starting over. Heck, not sure any of them are taking new patients either.  I know our friends are not because they are already too busy as it is.  

18 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

, not sure any of them are taking new patients either.  I know our friends are not because they are already too busy as it is.  

This is a huge problem in our area.  Very few PCPs are taking new patients.  

I agree that they just expect you to go to urgent care in situations like these.  I don't know anything about CVS minute clinics, but I'm wondering if that's a cheaper option? 

Edited by Kassia

30 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

First thing this morning I look and the soonest I can get any kind of appointment either with my own primary care or anyone in the practice, in person or virtual is Monday. 

Did you look at an online scheduling program or did you call?  I've found that the online schedule regularly looks full but when I call, they are able to squeeze me in.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Did you look at an online scheduling program or did you call?  I've found that the online schedule regularly looks full but when I call, they are able to squeeze me in.

There is no way to get to the actual office.  It gives you to the scheduling department which says the exact same thing as what the website looks at.  Our friend hates it. There have been many times when he said he did have a spot when the scheduling said he did not.  I guess I could drive up to the clinic.   Also, though, I struggle because really, I would give it a few more days.  I haven't run fever.  Our friend will give antibiotics at the least opportunity and I don't want to take them if I don't need them. It is probably a cold that will just run its course. It is the fact that I leave tomorrow and don't come back until the 27th that is giving me pause. If it gets worse, it will be harder in Indiana for me to get treatment, i would think.   I don't feel awful.  

58 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I will say that I am dreading when our primary care retires.  He turns 65 this year.  The other friend in the practice is our age and will be retiring soon as well.  All the others I knew started when my husband started and have all retired as well.  There are just 2 others in the practice...  Not enough.  Starting over. Heck, not sure any of them are taking new patients either.  I know our friends are not because they are already too busy as it is.  

When my parents’ primary care physician retired, he sent out a letter saying that he had arranged for them to be cared for by his successor.  However, when we called for an appointment, they said their practice was full and would not see my medically fragile father.  It was horrible.

• Sad 7

The whole system is different from the way it used to be. One time, I just went in anyway, because I wanted to see my doctor. I didn't call, because I didn't want them to turn me away; I had already seen him initially for the problem, and I wanted his insight into what was going on. He came out and saw me in the waiting room (which was okay for this particular problem). One other time, I just showed up. But basically, though, if it is for anything other than my regularly scheduled appointments that are anywhere from 4-6 months apart, I just go to urgent care. I like my doctor, and I don't want to contribute to overloading an already overloaded man. But this system really bugs me. Once, when I was trying to schedule my next appointment, they couldn't schedule my "in about four months" appointment until over five months away. I said, "Wow, you guys really need some more doctors!" The response was, "Yes, we know; tell Ascension that!" The practice has tried to move me over to a nurse practitioner a couple of times, which would be fine except that I have been seeing this doctor for almost seven years now, and I don't want to change. And the nurse practitioners move on, which would leave me continually getting to know somebody new and vice versa. It isn't the practice's fault, it is the big business medical's fault (Ascension), trying to squeeze out of the doctors more than they can practically do. Sometimes, I just write him through the portal, and I hate doing that because I feel like it keeps him even busier, but it gets me answers from somebody who knows me. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I only see this situation getting worse.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

This. When i call, I try to talk to a nurse who will hopefully determine that I need to come in that same day and then the *nurse* schedules me, not the scheduling department. With our docs, they have some same-day/sick appointments that are not visible to me electronically.

If you truly can’t get in to see your PCP, then traveling to Indiana will be no worse and not worth stressing about: both scenarios would have you ending up in an urgent care facility that is unfamiliar to you. 

• Like 2

The health system that our doctors belong to guarantees sick visits within 24 hours. That doesn't mean it will be with your provider or even someone else within that practice, though. It could be someone at another practice or one of their walk-in clinics. We've thankfully never had to see if or how it actually works.

Our practice seems to have a ARNP that sees all the sick patients. As long as you call early in the day they usually get you in that day or the next. The rare occasion that doesn't work we can go to the clinics in walgreens for like strep, flu, covid it charges at the primary care rate not urgent care.

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

So I probably caught something when I went in to do my biopsy last Wednesday.  Started showing symptoms on Friday afternoon. Sore throat, headache, a little bit of congestion. Didn't go anywhere. Monday morning I went to Walgreens to get a flue, Covid test. I only have congestion by then. Sore throat and headache are gone.  Both are negative.  I am just tired.  Still congested and now coughing.  Have been taking Niquil cold and flu nighttime and daytime off and on. So I am leaving tomorrow to start heading to Indiana.  I am blowing out some yellow. So might be turning into a sinus infection.  First thing this morning I look and the soonest I can get any kind of appointment either with my own primary care or anyone in the practice, in person or virtual is Monday.  Heck.  I could be septic or completely well by then.

Our primary care doc is a friend of ours, in our Sunday School class, will probably play the doctor card and have my husband text him. (Husband is still in Africa.) But most people do not have that option.  It is absolutely ridiculous that a "regular" person can no longer get a primary care appointment within a reasonable amount of time.  No wonder the urgent care is so popular...

I’m sorry, this just stinks.

It sounds like the virus I had in December .  For 2.5/weeks I ran a low grade temp but other symptoms were as you described. Eventually it settled into my ears and even my teeth hurt. I did go on an antibiotic and used Bromax to help clear the crud out of my ears. 

I would take the Monday appointment but consider UC if symptoms get worse. Blowing yellow is not a symptom I had, but I would have gotten in sooner if I did. 

I agree with trying to talk to a nurse if you feel like you need to be seen. When my then 3yr old son broke his arm, the scheduler said they could see him in 3 weeks. I was like then there will be no point. So, she put me through to the nurse who was able to get him an appointment right away. 

I feel like a lot of the wait issues came with doctors needing to align with larger hospital units (with liability and insurance costs). They lost the overall day in how their practices are run, number of patients, time with patients, etc. 

For the most part we’ve stayed with private practices and have been able to get in same day and call directly to the offices. Its sad that the doctors aren’t able to give the care to their patients that they want. 

This is why I was thrilled that our new house was 3 minutes from a well run and very clean urgent care. It's just easier. 

That said, our new primary office has an ARNP who sees just sick visits several days a week, so maybe I could get it fast now. 

Oh, and when i went there the first time I was super nice to the receptionist, and complimented how well they ran things. She ended up giving me the number for her direct line so I could call her to schedule directly, rather than the main system for the bigger practice! Score!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

This is why I was thrilled that our new house was 3 minutes from a well run and very clean urgent care. It's just easier. 

That said, our new primary office has an ARNP who sees just sick visits several days a week, so maybe I could get it fast now. 

Oh, and when i went there the first time I was super nice to the receptionist, and complimented how well they ran things. She ended up giving me the number for her direct line so I could call her to schedule directly, rather than the main system for the bigger practice! Score!

We live close to one like this as well; however, this year, insurance doubled our urgent care copay from $25 to $50. So, we're back to waiting for appointments in the hospital system. 

Takes a while for us to get primary care appointments, but we have an option to message the doctor with our concerns or call a nurse advice hotline. They can then judge the urgency of the issue and either give us an earlier appointment, have us go to urgent care or say you'll be fine in a few days (look for these signs to escalate, do these things to feel better, etc.). I like this because it has often saved us a trip to anywhere.

Thankfully our PCP has a NP that helps her, so if we can get in with her that day, usually we can get in with NP either that afternoon or next morning. They aren't accepting any new patients - and haven't been for some time. 

Our adult primary care has online scheduling or a nurse line. Really, the online scheduling is normally fine - I might have to wait 2-3 days if I want to get in to see my doctor, but I can usually see one of the doctors or NPs within a couple hours.

Our pediatrician's office does well-visit scheduling through the front office (and that we have to schedule months in advance), but all sick/urgent scheduling is done through the nurse line. The longest we have ever had to wait for an appointment is about 3 hours, but if we want to wait for our doctor, it might be most of the day or even into the next day.

We also have a local urgent care that takes online "reservations". So we can just walk in, but we might have to sit in the waiting room for an hour or more. Instead, we can make a reservation in a couple hours, and they can typically take us right back.

What I hate about urgent care is that I pay double to use it. Since there are urgent care centers sprouting up everywhere, the primary care doctors have no incentive to prioritize urgent care of their regular patients. So we end up in this weird in-between facility that's not an ER when we need day-of care, and we pay double. We don't get to see our regular doctor who is actually familiar with us personally, and we pay double for the privilege of getting timely care when sickness happens.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

What I hate about urgent care is that I pay double to use it. Since there are urgent care centers sprouting up everywhere, the primary care doctors have no incentive to prioritize urgent care of their regular patients. So we end up in this weird in-between facility that's not an ER when we need day-of care, and we pay double. We don't get to see our regular doctor who is actually familiar with us personally, and we pay double for the privilege of getting timely care when sickness happens.

This is my favorite part about spending an arm and a leg on health care - I never have to worry about how much anything costs. We hit our deductible a month ago - second week in January, just from therapy appointments and a couple $900 prescriptions for the kids. We will absolutely hit our out of pocket max - probably before summer. Which sucks, but also means we can have as much health care as we need for one set price. I have to say that that part is a load off my mind.

• Like 2

Oh, gosh, yes. 

Ours is bad like that, too. Then add in that our primary care place seems to be a place that doctors come to train, then move on, so we are constantly getting letters "Dr So & So is (retiring, moving, leaving the practice), and Dr Blah Blah will be starting on xyz date..." so you don't even *really* have the continuity of care.....this last time, BOTH the doctors left (the doctor and the NP) at the same time....I think we're doctor shopping now. 

Meanwhile, we keep using the urgent care that costs 2x/as much, but is at least within the network so...at least the records will be kept together. :sigh: It's absolutely awful. 

Regular appointments can take a week at our GP but if you call first thing with an urgent  need, they fit you into one of the slots they keep open for that purpose.  When the university is closed, it's much easier to get an appointment though,  as they also have half the students on their books.

There is a minor injuries unit in the same building that will take sprains, bites, etc.

Pharmacists are trained to take UTI cases except in children and the elderly. 

On 2/14/2024 at 8:54 PM, historically accurate said:

We live close to one like this as well; however, this year, insurance doubled our urgent care copay from $25 to $50. So, we're back to waiting for appointments in the hospital system. 

Ah, my primary care copay is $25, Urgent Care is $40, ER is $200 I think, maybe $250.