Menu

Be grumpy! What do you think should be phased out?

bookbard

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Body weight is in super-imperial - stones and pounds.

Comparing one's weight to stones has some kind of ancient civilization flavour to it. The Egyptians used body parts (cubit) to measure length, and the Brits use stones to measure their body weight. And what size of stone are we talking here. I'm visualizing a large boulder about my size. With this stone, my weight is 1.  😂

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Comparing one's weight to stones has some kind of ancient civilization flavour to it. The Egyptians used body parts (cubit) to measure length, and the Brits use stones to measure their body weight. And what size of stone are we talking here. I'm visualizing a large boulder about my size. With this stone, my weight is 1.  😂

Fourteen pounds to a stone. So I weigh around 61 kilos, 9 stone eight pounds, or just over 9 and a half stone. 

• Like 1

I dislike Halloween gore, but never like I have this year.  My kids witnessed a horrific car accident with multiple fatalities and severed body parts(sorry, trying hard not to be graphic)last spring—stuff that would make up a fake Halloween gore decorating but it was real.  They are okay, but seeing it everywhere we go has brought back some anxiety and nightmares.

I don’t mind the funny witches and ghosts decoration, even some creepy things, but We’ve had to avoid some stores and the campground we usually camp at this year.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Sad 17

On 10/20/2023 at 11:45 AM, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I dislike Halloween gore, but never like I have this year.  My kids witnessed a horrific car accident with multiple fatalities and severed body parts(sorry, trying hard not to be graphic)last spring—stuff that would make up a fake Halloween gore decorating but it was real.  They are okay, but seeing it everywhere we go has brought back some anxiety and nightmares.

I don’t mind the funny witches and ghosts decoration, even some creepy things, but We’ve had to avoid some stores and the campground we usually camp at this year.

Agree. This year has been nothing but horror after horror, now the photos of out Gaza on top of Ukraine on top of a gazillion humanitarian crises. I can only imagine how hard it is for many to see all of the gross stuff. I wish folks would just keep it fun. Lighted witches' hats hanging in the trees, cute little white ghosts swaying the breeze, jack o lanterns, black cats and bats. I would love it if the violent stuff was left out.

Edited by Faith-manor
Typo
  • Like 6

On 10/20/2023 at 7:55 AM, TechWife said:

Most of the rules don’t bother me. It’s more the control freaks that report their neighbors for every.little.thing. They often turn out to be the worst rule breakers themselves!

This.

Which brings me to my grumpiness item of the day: neighbors that leave piles of junk everywhere in their front driveway and spilling out of their full front porch. Boxes, toys, a random grill, pushcarts or something and tools — and a EZUp tent they periodically put over the tricked out jeep to work on it. For years, with more and more junk piling up. Our HOA quit patrolling the neighborhood in 2020, and I sure wish they’d start again!

(No, I have not reported it to the HOA, because I don’t want to be that person, but it is a serious eyesore.)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Spryte said:

This.

Which brings me to my grumpiness item of the day: neighbors that leave piles of junk everywhere in their front driveway and spilling out of their full front porch. Boxes, toys, a random grill, pushcarts or something and tools — and a EZUp tent they periodically put over the tricked out jeep to work on it. For years, with more and more junk piling up. Our HOA quit patrolling the neighborhood in 2020, and I sure wish they’d start again!

(No, I have not reported it to the HOA, because I don’t want to be that person, but it is a serious eyesore.)

IKWYM! Today, the loudest complainer about parking cars on the street has parked her car beside my house! Her complaining is the reason the parking rules were tightened anyway! It's nearly unbelievable to me. It's something I don't care about, because streets are streets, but the absolute nerve! There is nothing preventing her from putting her car in front of her own house!  I could go on about how much trouble this person has caused, but I'll stop. Thanks for listening to my rant.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 3:16 PM, Home'scool said:

To me, coffee drinkers are like smokers. They are constantly thinking WHEN will I be able to have some, WHERE will I be able to buy it, HOW will I manage on vacation, etc.

On 10/17/2023 at 8:06 PM, Clarita said:

I mean caffeine in general. I cringe at how people are so open about their absolute addiction to the stuff and is so flippant about it. 

I have to say this. Coffee is absolutely medicinal for me and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. I am on multiple medications for OCD. My brain is in a fog much of the time and for years I literally could not function without a daily nap.

I wasn't a coffee drinker until my 30's, but now I am so, so thankful for it. It enables me to be *functional* for half the day. If you have normal energy and mental clarity without it, that's great! Not all of us do. 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Right there with you all on the gory decorations and costumes. I don't mind dark themes--it is Halloween, after all. But the gore should be saved for adult audiences, if people really have to have it. I hated that my DD was so afraid during trick or treating and even when she saw a Halloween section in a store.

Have some sensitivity, people!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TechWife said:

IKWYM! Today, the loudest complainer about parking cars on the street has parked her car beside my house! Her complaining is the reason the parking rules were tightened anyway! It's nearly unbelievable to me. It's something I don't care about, because streets are streets, but the absolute nerve! There is nothing preventing her from putting her car in front of her own house!  I could go on about how much trouble this person has caused, but I'll stop. Thanks for listening to my rant.

I vote her off the Island. Come to tribal council with me, and we will give her a toss.

• Like 2

I think high school Homecoming and Prom royalty should be eliminated. What’s the purpose other than to cause drama? Our school had already eliminated Prom royalty, so we are half way there. 

All my high school kids have been Homecoming royalty (so far), and it’s really dumb. I went to a college football game during their Homecoming week, and they had royalty too. Once again, why? 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, 2squared said:

I think high school Homecoming and Prom royalty should be eliminated. What’s the purpose other than to cause drama? Our school had already eliminated Prom royalty, so we are half way there. 

All my high school kids have been Homecoming royalty (so far), and it’s really dumb. I went to a college football game during their Homecoming week, and they had royalty too. Once again, why? 

Agreed. It is nothing more than a popularity contest, a mean spirited sorting of humans. Tired of this crap. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TechWife said:

I've never understood the issue with parking on the street. I know it's a cultural difference but I don't understand the emotions involved.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2squared said:

Its so nice having kids in a school without that stuff.  The dances are also less fornal like kids can dress up as fancy as they want but they dont have to to be included so nice for the neurospicy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I've never understood the issue with parking on the street. I know it's a cultural difference but I don't understand the emotions involved.

I haven’t either. Some tend to think of the street in front of their houses as “theirs.” It is not, it’s public,  paid for and maintained by our taxes.

I think telling someone they can’t park in front of their house is unnecessary. But, I can play along to get along. It’s not worth arguing over because we all have garages and driveways. 

My irritation isn’t about the parking rule, it’s with that individual neighbor parking beside my house. She’s the one that complains about everyone else parking on the street. She’s caused a lot of division over it to be honest, including bullying the HOA into changing the parking rules, but It’s an unenforceable rule. The city police only enforce laws and not HOA rules. The HOA has no way to determine who a car belongs to because they can’t access the license plate database, it’s protected by privacy laws. This means it’s an unenforceable rule. It’s all just unnecessary and she makes it really painful for everyone.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 5

On 10/21/2023 at 4:43 PM, Laura Corin said:

Some of the possessiveness is if there is high demand for street parking, and people like to park close to their own house. 

23 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Some of the possessiveness is if there is high demand for street parking, and people like to park close to their own house. 

Also, if it's a place that gets a lot of snow, and someone has shoveled a parking spot for themselves and put up something to mark it as theirs, and another person comes along and takes it ...  well, that can be the subject of court cases.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kathyl said:

Also, if it's a place that gets a lot of snow, and someone has shoveled a parking spot for themselves and put up something to mark it as theirs, and another person comes along and takes it ...  well, that can be the subject of court cases.  

I've never seen anyone claim an empty street spot as theirs. I've seen loads of cars snowed in when the plow goes around them while they were parked. I guess that's one way to claim a parking spot! 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

I can see that, for sure. And in cases of disability,  you can get a spot designated here on the street for disabled parking outside your house.

What I was thinking about more was previous discussion here about suburban street parking as just being 'wrong' in a 'not classy' way, or something. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I can see that, for sure. And in cases of disability,  you can get a spot designated here on the street for disabled parking outside your house.

What I was thinking about more was previous discussion here about suburban street parking as just being 'wrong' in a 'not classy' way, or something. 

Ya, I don't understand suburban possessiveness of the curb in front of one's own house. I guess if you sit and look out your front window, you want a clear view of the pavement - in all its beauty! 😉 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

I've never seen anyone claim an empty street spot as theirs. I've seen loads of cars snowed in when the plow goes around them while they were parked. I guess that's one way to claim a parking spot! 😉 

It’s a Thing in Chicago. You shovel out your spot. When you leave, you claim your spot with whatever broken down big item that is handy. Old chairs or ironing boards or whatever. If anyone moves your stuff and takes your spot, you then have full rights to shovel them in or douse their car with water (which freezes into ice). 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

It’s a Thing in Chicago. You shovel out your spot. When you leave, you claim your spot with whatever broken down big item that is handy. Old chairs or ironing boards or whatever. If anyone moves your stuff and takes your spot, you then have full rights to shovel them in or douse their car with water (which freezes into ice). 😉

That must be pretty funny to see! And if it should happen to snow while one is out and about, you have to dig out your "place holder" and your spot. Or do you just abandon ship at that point and move south? 😄

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Maybe the issue here is people moving south and not realizing that it doesn't snow like that here! Seriously, that might be the problem. Oh - I have something new we need to get rid of - wait for it.

• Like 1

Let's get rid of complaints from northern transplants about ice/snow management in the south. We don't care how they did it where you came from. You're here, not there. Here, it's fiscally irresponsible to have snow removal machinery sitting idle for 364 days of the year.

In addition, I don't care how much/how often or how safely you have driven in or through snow. You cannot drive on ice. Just wait for a few hours of sunshine & a slight rise in temperature, then it will melt and you will be on your way. If you get an extra day or two off of school or work, be quiet about it and enjoy it. It's one of the benefits of moving south.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

It’s a Boston thing, too! There is a facebook page that posts different ones ( and some are hilarious). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

It’s a Boston thing, too! There is a facebook page that posts different ones ( and some are hilarious). 

Wow, people are weird! Don't people realize that everyone driving and parking has shoveled out their car that day? If they haven't, then they are snowed in, but as soon an they drive away that spot left won't have snow on it. 

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Wow, people are weird! Don't people realize that everyone driving and parking has shoveled out their car that day? If they haven't, then they are snowed in, but as soon an they drive away that spot left won't have snow on it. 

Some places don’t allow cars on the road when it is snowing or plowing time.  So they have to move it and then come back and shovel out the parking area that the plows put/piled all the snow to park their cars near their houses.   So they put out various items to hold the places while they go retrieve their cars from a lot they could park in sometimes a good 1/2 mile or more from their house. The best was someone who posted a lady sitting in dining chair waiting for her spouse to come back with the car. No one was going to take that spot they worked hard on clearing out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

Any small print on paper or signage.

Yep. Why are the instructions on medications in such tiny fonts? I know they don't have a lot of space, but I can hardly ever read any of the instructions, even with the reading part of my progressives. It is quite frustrating!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hyacinth said:

TV screens and/or blaring audio ads EVERYWHERE. 

Doctor’s office waiting rooms. 
Restaurants. 
Gas stations. 
Elevators! 

Give me some quiet to be alone with my thoughts for a minute! 

Ooo, yes! And especially when people blast music at the beach!! Or the family farm event we went to! I was there for the nature, not the loud pop music!!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TechWife said:

Let's get rid of complaints from northern transplants about ice/snow management in the south. We don't care how they did it where you came from. You're here, not there. Here, it's fiscally irresponsible to have snow removal machinery sitting idle for 364 days of the year.

In addition, I don't care how much/how often or how safely you have driven in or through snow. You cannot drive on ice. Just wait for a few hours of sunshine & a slight rise in temperature, then it will melt and you will be on your way. If you get an extra day or two off of school or work, be quiet about it and enjoy it. It's one of the benefits of moving south.

I agree with the sentiment that the south SHOULD do things differently than the north. It would be totally irrational to keep snow removing equipment or for people to buy snow tires or know how to drive on ice. That is silly and people shouldn't complain. 

But I have many family members including my mum 😁 who enjoyed ice racing on frozen lakes during the winter.  Driving on ice is a skill that actually exists and I wish more Alaskans had it because we have thaw cycles mid winter that leave lovely multi-inch layers of ice that doesn't thaw mid-day. But I like you am happy when the majority stay home because most people will just cause problems. 

ETA: I wish it were a requirement to get a license in Alaska to be able to control a drift. They could take you to a big open lot or frozen lake where you can't hit anyone and test on it. There are two types of drivers in Alaska. Those who practice drifting and those who try to never slide but will in the worst of times and be unable to control it. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, frogger said:

I agree with the sentiment that the south SHOULD do things differently. 

But I have many family members including my mum 😁 who enjoyed ice racing on frozen lakes during the winter.  Driving on ice is a skill that actually exists and I wish more Alaskans had it because we have thaw cycles mid winter that leave lovely multi-inch layers of ice that doesn't thaw mid-day. But I like you am happy when the majority stay home because most people will just cause problems. 

ETA: I wish it were a requirement to get a license in Alaska to be able to control a drift. They could take you to a big open lot or frozen lake where you can't hit anyone and test on it. There are two types of drivers in Alaska. Those who practice drifting and those who try to never slide but will in the worst of times and be unable to control it. 

I’m not picking on you, but this is a good  example of what I mean. It’s That’s there. This is here. It’s not a sentiment. It’s factual. Here, it doesn’t matter how you do it there, it’s not relevant. Relax, wait for the sun to come out, the temp to rise, and if you get any extra time off, enjoy it!

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I’m not picking on you, but this is a good  example of what I mean. It’s That’s there. This is here. It’s not a sentiment. It’s factual. Here, it doesn’t matter how you do it there, it’s not relevant. Relax, wait for the sun to come out, the temp to rise, and if you get any extra time off, enjoy it!

What does the first line in your quote say? I did add to it before you posted to be more explicit but I was agreeing with you on the Southern part but just adding that ice driving is actually a thing. It was not meant to be a response to the fact that things are different down there. It was in response to the comment "You cannot drive on ice."  

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

@frogger I get it. I'm a native Chicagoan and yeah, I know how to drive on ice. Last Christmas I did some of the worst ice driving of my entire life--we had rain and then a huge temperature drop into the negatives and the whole state was a sheet of ice. It was horrible. It's not something I relish--driving on snow is way easier. 

@TechWifeI will agree, though, that it's not reasonable for northerners to expect southern states to handle snow the way we're used to in the north. I no longer live in the Chicago area. The snow where I live now is a joke. It's extremely dry and there's never much of it. Even a "big" snow here is so very, very little compared to the deep, heavy, wet snow in Chicago. Most of the time we don't do a thing about it. 

• Like 3

In Boston people are very, very serious about dibs. I've seen people who take other's spots get iced, keyed, or their car covered in snow and then iced.

The city says you can only hold your spot for one day and that they will throw away place holders (they did mine once) but I don't care. It takes me hours (in a big storm) to shovel out my car on the street and I'm not interested in giving it to some dummy who just waltzes in. There are fewer spots on the street once you lose space to snow as well. So it's a real issue, especially in years where it snows over and over again.

Once the snow hardens over night it's impossible to shovel anymore. So you have to get on shoveling right away .

Basically I put my van on the street when I know there will be snow since I don't drive it too much and reserve my parking spot in the parking lot for the car I drive most days. I'll still shovel the van out but I don't have to risk losing a coveted street space.

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

In Boston people are very, very serious about dibs. I've seen people who take other's spots get iced, keyed, or their car covered in snow and then iced.

The city says you can only hold your spot for one day and that they will throw away place holders (they did mine once) but I don't care. It takes me hours (in a big storm) to shovel out my car on the street and I'm not interested in giving it to some dummy who just waltzes in. There are fewer spots on the street once you lose space to snow as well. So it's a real issue, especially in years where it snows over and over again.

Once the snow hardens over night it's impossible to shovel anymore. So you have to get on shoveling right away .

Basically I put my van on the street when I know there will be snow since I don't drive it too much and reserve my parking spot in the parking lot for the car I drive most days. I'll still shovel the van out but I don't have to risk losing a coveted street space.

Exactly. 

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 6:42 AM, Hyacinth said:

TV screens and/or blaring audio ads EVERYWHERE. 

Doctor’s office waiting rooms. 
Restaurants. 
Gas stations. 
Elevators! 

Give me some quiet to be alone with my thoughts for a minute! 

I 100% HATE with a passion the ads and crap at the gas pumps. I feel like I am living Farenheit 451. Elevator music is wrong. Just wrong. Do not take Journey and make it sound like Tiny Bubbles! This is musical blasphemy!

When I go to a restaurant, I want to be able to talk to the person I am with and if alone, linger over my coffee with a book. Stop blaring crap at me.

I am not interested in the afternoon soaps playing on the waiting room t.v. UGH.

And I do not want the radio blaring at the store when I am shopping. Good grief. Noise pollution! Noise pollution is a thing, and we don't talk about it. Light pollution does get discussed occasionally, but not noise.

I believe we can save the planet from global warming by mandating no t.v.s and radios in public places...all that fossil fuel saved. 😁😁😁

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

@frogger I get it. I'm a native Chicagoan and yeah, I know how to drive on ice. Last Christmas I did some of the worst ice driving of my entire life--we had rain and then a huge temperature drop into the negatives and the whole state was a sheet of ice. It was horrible. It's not something I relish--driving on snow is way easier. 

@TechWifeI will agree, though, that it's not reasonable for northerners to expect southern states to handle snow the way we're used to in the north. I no longer live in the Chicago area. The snow where I live now is a joke. It's extremely dry and there's never much of it. Even a "big" snow here is so very, very little compared to the deep, heavy, wet snow in Chicago. Most of the time we don't do a thing about it. 

Dd was a medic in Michigan, New Jersey, and New York. Driving on ice was just normal, very normal. No one loves it, but people actually do get quite good at it. So when she and hubby moved to Huntsville, and there was a storm that brought a little snow and ice to the roads, they didn't really think much about staying home. Son in law drove to work like normal and was shocked to find an empty building. The neighbors thought they were insane when he got back home, and the two of them thought "Free Day" and decided to go exploring. But, people who have not been raised in snow and ice, taught to drive on it, should not be out and about since that would cause a ton of accidents.

When we lived in Newburg, OR it was the same thing. They mostly just experienced the occasional dusting of snow. Mark was always given those days off from work, and occasionally they would get an inch and bam, things came to a grinding halt. No one would drive except essential personnel. It was fun. We would load up dd, then 2 years old, and first drive up to Mt. Hood, park in the farthest reaches of the lodge parking lot let her frolic in the snow on the edges, then go back down the mountain, run home, pack a lunch and supper, and head to the coast to watch seals, whales, etc. It just wasn't that cold to us, and we had a good winter coat, hat, and gloves for each of us so a picnic out and about, and a drive up the coast  to Astoria always sounded like great fun. Our neighbors thought we were completely bonkers! 😂 And that was fine. As bred, born, and raised Portlanders/Newburgites with zero experience on snowy or icy pavement, it was best they hunker down at home. 

Meanwhile, if we are in Bama and the temp gets above 85, we are down for the count. No life in us. No desire to leave the house. All the Bamans out and about doing all the things, kids playing outdoors, tons of outdoor events all around Huntsville, and we are inside like snowflakes melting on a spring day! I am fairly certain they must think, "Holy Cow! Those northerners are pansies!" 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5