Menu

How do I make punch? (nonalcoholic)

Jean in Newcastle

I love this simple punch: 1 1/2 quarts of grape juice mixed with 1 gallon ginger ale, lots of ice if you can have it but it works fine without if the two drinks are cold.  You won't have to worry about sherbet or fruit.

• Like 1

I haven't made punch in years and don't have a favorite recipe. These look good to me:

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/drinks/june-bug/

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/drinks/chai-punch/

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/pineapple-ginger-punch-1/

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/drinks/watermelon-cooler-punch/

If you have a Bundt pan, make an ice ring instead of using cubes! (Assuming you're serving from a punch bowl and not a pitcher.) 

ETA there's a bunch here that sound good. Now I want a reason to make punch!

https://www.southernliving.com/food/drinks/non-alcoholic-punch-recipes

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

Not a punch fan, but my grandmother sometimes made one I liked with pineapple juice, maybe cranberry juice, and a splash of almond extract. You mix 50:50 with 7-Up. If you are interested, I might be able to find the recipe. She sometimes had frozen fruit for people to add to their cups if they wanted to. 

• Like 1

A favorite recipe from my childhood church:

Sunshine Punch

2 (6 oz.) cans frozen orange juice, thawed

2 (6 oz.) cans frozen lemonade, thawed

6 c. water

1 (46 oz.) can pineapple juice

1 c. sugar, or less

2 (12 oz.) bottles / cans ginger ale

Mix concentrates. Add water and pineapple juice. Stir in sugar. May freeze and serve partially thawed. Add ginger ale after thawed. Makes 4 quarts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

A favorite recipe from my childhood church:

Sunshine Punch

2 (6 oz.) cans frozen orange juice, thawed

2 (6 oz.) cans frozen lemonade, thawed

6 c. water

1 (46 oz.) can pineapple juice

1 c. sugar, or less

2 (12 oz.) bottles / cans ginger ale

Mix concentrates. Add water and pineapple juice. Stir in sugar. May freeze and serve partially thawed. Add ginger ale after thawed. Makes 4 quarts.

You might even be able to find and orange pineapple blend as a base—that sounds yum.

• Like 3

Okay, I figured I'd take this topic to the experts.  I posted about it on my facebook, because I have a lot of friends who are clergy.  But I also posted it to a United Methodist clergy board, because I think UM church ladies are probably the REAL experts.  

So far I'm hearing that lime sherbet, sprite, and pineapple juice is the best.  However, there's a contingent of people who like pineapple sherbet, sprite, and orange juice concentrate blended with bananas.  

Obviously, both recipes should be frozen to almost slushy texture.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Okay, I figured I'd take this topic to the experts.  I posted about it on my facebook, because I have a lot of friends who are clergy.  But I also posted it to a United Methodist clergy board, because I think UM church ladies are probably the REAL experts.  

So far I'm hearing that lime sherbet, sprite, and pineapple juice is the best.  However, there's a contingent of people who like pineapple sherbet, sprite, and orange juice concentrate blended with bananas.  

Obviously, both recipes should be frozen to almost slushy texture.  

Bananas?? I've had a lot of different kinds of punch but I've never been encountered bananas! I thought I could not be surprised by any food combination but there ya go, I am stunned. 

• Like 2

Just now, marbel said:

Bananas?? I've had a lot of different kinds of punch but I've never been encountered bananas! I thought I could not be surprised by any food combination but there ya go, I am stunned. 

That one is from an Illinois Methodist pastor.  

I've often been surprised by Illinois food.  

Like pork steaks.  Never heard of them until I met him.  

• Like 1

Just now, Terabith said:

Like pork steaks.  Never heard of them until I met him.  

Hey, if you break out the Methodist Cookbook ie. "Potluck Manual", you are going to see some stuff. Some really well, just stuff. Methodists created the whole " hated for casserole, never met a cream soup we didn't like" genre of cooking. Former Methodist here. We wear that badge with way to much pride! 😂

• Haha 2

I wonder, @Jean in Newcastleif you want to look up big batch mocktails or nonalcoholic cocktails. I guess they are not punch - no sherbet - but it sounds like you are looking for a festive, nonalcoholic drink? Probably not as sweet as punch - maybe more seltzer/club soda than sweet soda? 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, marbel said:

I wonder, @Jean in Newcastleif you want to look up big batch mocktails or nonalcoholic cocktails. I guess they are not punch - no sherbet - but it sounds like you are looking for a festive, nonalcoholic drink? Probably not as sweet as punch - maybe more seltzer/club soda than sweet soda? 

I honestly don’t know what I am looking for. I’m speaking at a multi church women’s event and picked what I hoped would be the easiest thing to bring on the sign up list. Now I sort of wish that I had chosen something else!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wait - you're speaking at this event and you have to contribute to the refreshments?! Wow when I was doing that sort of thing (not speaking but organizing speakers) I would never expect any of the speakers to have to deal with food/drinks. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, marbel said:

Wait - you're speaking at this event and you have to contribute to the refreshments?! Wow when I was doing that sort of thing (not speaking but organizing speakers) I would never expect any of the speakers to have to deal with food/drinks. 

Well no one said that I had to but it’s a relatively small group that’s organizing it so I signed up too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm now thinking we need to start having punch regularly. Maybe instead of poetry tea time we have poetry punch!

Betcha don't make it through one event without someone hyped up on sugary punch (and red dye? green dye?) deciding to try their pugilistic skills 😂

• Haha 1

I made some mock mai tai's a couple of weeks ago.  (I think...it was something I found on pinterest).  Anway - it was a blend of pineapple/orange juice and Sprite.  The recipe also called for grenadine but I thought it was better without.  It won't be super pretty, kind of a bland yellow color which may be a bit of a turn off.  But I thought it tasted good and was refreshing.    You could probably do two bottles of Sprint to one carton of juice.  Any combo will taste nice.  I think in my are most people do red Hawaiian punch and Sprite.  Sherbet punches are not very popular here.  

Punch can be a as simple as a fizzy sweet something (Sprite, 7 up, ginger ale) plus some other sweet fruity thing (prepared Kool-Aid, Hawaiin Punch).

• Like 1

Sherbet? As in the powder that fizzes in your mouth? Sherbet in punch is new to me.

And none of you include tinned fruit? Our punch would always have fruit floating in it.

Our recipe would be something like this:

Lemonade (eg Sprite)

Gingerale

Pineapple juice

Tinned mixed fruit

Maybe a splash of orange cordial

Mint leaves

Always orange-ish coloured. I've never seen red or green.

I'm really interested in the sherbet thing. I just can't imagine it in a liquid, unless what I call sherbet is something different.

• Like 1

Okay, in a minority opinion, the Episcopalians say that their nonalcoholic punch is:  1 6 oz can of orange juice concentrate, (thawed), 1 6 oz can of frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed), 1 liter of apple juice, 2 liters of ginger ale, and an ice ring.  

I still argue that this can't be punch because no sherbet, but what do I know?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Sherbet? As in the powder that fizzes in your mouth? Sherbet in punch is new to me.

I'm really interested in the sherbet thing. I just can't imagine it in a liquid, unless what I call sherbet is something different.

I have no idea what powder you are talking about, lol! Sherbert here is like ice cream, but with a fruit flavor. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

And none of you include tinned fruit? Our punch would always have fruit floating in it.

Our recipe would be something like this:

Lemonade (eg Sprite)

Gingerale

Pineapple juice

Tinned mixed fruit

Maybe a splash of orange cordial

Mint leaves

Always orange-ish coloured. I've never seen red or green.

I looked up Australian sherbet. In the US it's a candy that I know as Pixie Sticks. Just a long paper tube full of powdery sugary sweetness. At least that's what I saw in the one result from my google search.

In the US sherbet is like ice cream, as Katie said, but a fruit flavor. Mmm one of my favorite frozen treats is a mix of vanilla ice cream and orange sherbet. (A creamsicle in ice cream form.) 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

I’m not sure it can be punch without sherbet.  

It can't. 

5 hours ago, ikslo said:

I’m partial to rum punch. 

I see green sherbet and think, ah, okay, it’s a kid’s party. Got it. 

Sherbet and rum go together just fine, particularly orange sherbet and pineapple rum. 

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

water is not punch 🙂

I don't mind a water refresher, but I'm going to side-eye you if you're supposed to bring punch and you bring water with mint leaves. 

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

Illinois thinks salad is green Jello with chunks in it, so I'm not taking any culinary advice from them. 

sprite, orange sherbert, and lemonade concentrate are what I think I'm used to. Does that sound right?

It would usually be pineapple juice vs orange juice around here, but that sounds good too. 

Oh, or rainbow sherbert, HIC fruit punch, and sprite. 

No Hi C punch for an adult event; it's not nearly as cute when everyone's tongue gets stained bright red. It's also a biotch to get out of clothes if you spill. 

47 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I don't know what this nonsense is about green or red punch. It's clearly either orange or pink. 

But always, always with sherbet.

20 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

What the what? Pop Rocks fizz in your mouth. Sherbet is a frozen dessert with fruit flavors like pineapple, orange, raspberry. Kind of ice cream-ish but with fruit juice added. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, marbel said:

Mmm one of my favorite frozen treats is a mix of vanilla ice cream and orange sherbet. (A creamsicle in ice cream form.) 

Ooh, that sounds good. And you could make it into alcoholic punch by adding Mike's White Hard Freeze (really good creamsicle flavor). 

• Like 1