Menu

What are you doing for the Great American Eclipse?

Terabith

My son wants to travel to an area of totality several states away where his brother lives. He wants us to spend a few days there. We’d have to be careful to stay on the fringes and not get into a congested area. 

I am not sure how I feel about it. I guess I would go if both boys want us to. It’d be just like we were visiting but with the added bonus of driving an hour or two north to be in totality. Could be fun. 

I know we need to plan, but our lives never work out very well for planning.

For the last one, I happened to be in the US at the right time and it was just a few hours drive through some pretty isolated areas to get there.  We should be in the US for the next one, but the Eastern US is so much more crowded, plus we're six hours away from the nearest point of totality. We need to plan something.

14 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

My son wants to travel to an area of totality several states away where his brother lives. He wants us to spend a few days there. We’d have to be careful to stay on the fringes and not get into a congested area. 

I am not sure how I feel about it. I guess I would go if both boys want us to. It’d be just like we were visiting but with the added bonus of driving an hour or two north to be in totality. Could be fun. 

I went in 2017 to a place with totality, and it was perhaps the most transcendent thing I have ever seen, and that probably includes the birth of my kids.  I highly, HIGHLY recommend going and seeing it.  The difference between 99% and 100% can't be overstated.  You WANT to see totality.  

9 minutes ago, Amira said:

I know we need to plan, but our lives never work out very well for planning.

For the last one, I happened to be in the US at the right time and it was just a few hours drive through some pretty isolated areas to get there.  We should be in the US for the next one, but the Eastern US is so much more crowded, plus we're six hours away from the nearest point of totality. We need to plan something.

You definitely need to plan.  Rooms are going for $700 plus a night.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Go!

If you have never experiened totality before, you absolutely need the experience. It is the most awe-inspiring natural manifestation I have ever seen and heard (seriously, all of the crickets simultaneously starting to chirp as darkness fell in the middle of the day was one of the most amazing parts).

I'm planning to take me family half way across the country to see this next one.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I went in 2017 to a place with totality, and it was perhaps the most transcendent thing I have ever seen, and that probably includes the birth of my kids.  I highly, HIGHLY recommend going and seeing it.  The difference between 99% and 100% can't be overstated.  You WANT to see totality.  

You definitely need to plan.  Rooms are going for $700 plus a night.

Actually, what we need to do is move.  😄

The last one was so completely perfect and I don't want logistics to ruin this one.  It's actually been bothering me for several years now that this one is going to be a lot more complicated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

Thanks, Terabith. I’ll keep that in mind. If we have to drive that far, better to make sure we get to see the 100 percent area, I suppose. You have me just a bit more excited about it. I just tend to want to stay home, lol. 

We drove ten hours for the last one and will do the same this time.  I'd been super excited about seeing one since I was 8.  My family was pretty much only humoring me, but even my stick in the mud middle schooler at the time was like, "Okay, yeah, that was worth all of this."  

Everyone is pretty excited about this one.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, maize said:

If you have never experiened totality before, you absolutely need the experience. It is the most awe-inspiring natural manifestation I have ever seen and heard 

Agreed!  We are 3 hrs away from the path of totality so can presumably do it in a day, but I am concerned about getting stuck in traffic.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terabith said:

We drove ten hours for the last one and will do the same this time.  I'd been super excited about seeing one since I was 8.  My family was pretty much only humoring me, but even my stick in the mud middle schooler at the time was like, "Okay, yeah, that was worth all of this."  

Everyone is pretty excited about this one.  

I was just coming back to ask if you were going and how long your drive is. Ours is 13, and we just drive straight through except for bathroom breaks. We’ll get there a day or two before and it will be a two hour drive north to see it. My youngest son is really excited. 

I think older ds will know where to go to avoid the worst of the congested areas. Hopefully.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I was just coming back to ask if you were going and how long your drive is. Ours is 13, and we just drive straight through except for bathroom breaks. We’ll get there a day or two before and it will be a two hour drive north to see it. My youngest son is really excited. 

I think older ds will know where to go to avoid the worst of the congested areas. Hopefully.

I would allot WAY more than two hours for that drive.  Like, I'd give it ten hours or so.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Oh, boy. We have a lot to figure out, then. Gonna have to talk to ds about it. 

I mean, location matters.  If it's truly out in the absolute boonies, I'd give it maybe five hours.  But it's going to be nuts.  

• Like 1

Terabith, I just checked and it looks like ds lives just a few miles south of totality. Literally. I’m not sure why he wants to drive north. Gonna have to ask about that.

Edit: Yes, we could drive 45 minutes west and be in the totality zone. Just need to make sure we get into the 100 percent zone. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

Terabith, I just checked and it looks like ds lives just a few miles south of totality. Literally. I’m not sure why he wants to drive north. Gonna have to ask about that. 

Probably because if he is a few miles south of totality, if he gets to the edge, it will only experience totality for a very short period.  Going north puts you into the zone where you experience it for longer.  He's not nuts to do so.  Whether or not it's worth it, is hard to say.  But I'd probably drive some.  

• Thanks 1

We booked our hotel room just a few days ago. DH has family in a state that will get totality, so that's where we're heading and we'll see some of those family members while we're there. 

Last time we traveled to see it - it was just a little bit past where my parents live, so we stayed with them and then drove over to a tiny town in South Carolina. It was such an awesome experience. We decided that day that we would make plans to see the 2024 one as well. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Probably because if he is a few miles south of totality, if he gets to the edge, it will only experience totality for a very short period.  Going north puts you into the zone where you experience it for longer.  He's not nuts to do so.  Whether or not it's worth it, is hard to say.  But I'd probably drive some.  

He wants to drive to Hot Springs. We can literally drive to just east of Texarkana and be good. He may think Hot Springs is a cool place to be during the eclipse, and it may be, but the whole world will probably be there, too. There has to be a more quiet place! He knows all the little backroads and such. But if he really wants to do it, I will go……😁

• Like 1

Hearing about hotels and traffic make me VERY glad taht between the aunt and uncle and DH's cousins that live across the street from them we won't need to worry about booking a room or driving, once we get there! Will just have to be sure we get there a day ahead of time I guess? How far in advance is traffic insane? We'd be going to Sandusky, Ohio. 

I remember the last one.  we were affected, but not totality.  I *knew* what was happening, but as the sun grew dim and my eyesight was affected, it made me think there was something wrong with me.  I can more understand why back when most people didn't know what was happening, they went crazy.

• Like 1

We have high hopes that Arkansas will have clear skies. We reserved a vacation home out in the country in the path of totality and will be there with our 12" telescope and sun filters. We are hosting astronomy camp for our eldest grandson who will be 8 years old then. There are beds for nine people, so six more can come from within our family, but none of our other kids and their spouses/s.o.'s know if they can get time off yet. We have the house for four days, and will make a jaunt down to Hot Springs National Park before eclipse day.

ETA: We made our reservation four years ago through vrbo, asked the home owners to allow us to book that far in advance. That was excellent planning on our part. Now that everyone is making reservations and the count down has begun, the rates have absolutely skyrocketed. 

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 4

We used to live in San Antonio, so I’m always looking for an excuse to go visit friends. I made reservations at a Drury. I was shocked at how many hotels were already full. 

We will drive over well ahead and watch the weather. Ideally, would like to be around Concan or Uvalde or just somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I have enough friends that will know places around Hill Country, too. 

I expect Waco will be a nightmare. 

VRBOs and Airbnbs around Concan have crazy, exorbitant rates for that week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Not traveling for that one. We saw the last one from our front yard. 

I drove to Dayton. Those folks were mean! They did NOT want us there! lol I didn’t spend a DIME in that town because everybody was so mean!

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 3

During the last one we lived about 45 minutes from totality and left early enough that we had no problem staking out a good parking spot. This time my brother's house is directly in the path of totality and we should be able to watch from his backyard.

I agree that it was the most surreal experience I have ever had. We felt high the rest if the day. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who has never experienced it, especially since it will not happen again or quite a long time.

• Like 3

Also, here is a tip. If you can possibly be out in the country, that is best. Cities in the totality may still have a lot of light pollution because of devices and cars with light censors that aren't turned off causing lights to be on, and of course hospitals and what not must keep their lights up so you will experience night time, but not the depth of darkness you would get in a rural setting without light pollution. A night sky park in the path of totality is awesome for the experience, but they will fill up hours, many hours in advance.

• Like 5

Another tip: If you are planning to drive out somewhere—regardless of whether it has facilities—buy and take a Thetford Porti Potty. And a pop up privacy tent. Worth every penny!

We were at a city park in TN for the last one, and as I said it was very unwelcoming. I think they deliberately let the grass grow high and they didn’t bring in any portable restrooms. There was a hour long wait at times for the one restroom. And no tp.

I took my two youngest and was so glad we had that potty.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

Just checked the website above, we are as in the middle of the path of totality as you can get lol. And we live out in the country with little light pollution. Ds is asking already if he can stay home from school that day to see it. Lol. He doesn't remember the partial eclipse of 2017. He was 4yo for that one. He was only really interested in the cool sun glasses for that one lol.

• Like 1

I've gotta figure that out with my dad. Last one in the US we traveled to Tennessee and camped close to totality. Then drove a bit to a library in a small town that was having a big eclipse viewing party. It was great.

Not sure where we'll go this time around

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

Agreed!  We are 3 hrs away from the path of totality so can presumably do it in a day, but I am concerned about getting stuck in traffic.

That's about how far from totality we were for the last one.

The traffic driving up in the morning wasn't too bad, but the traffic coming back was absolutely horrific--what should have taken three hours took ten.

My suggestion would be to find a closer place to stay the night after the eclipse, or at least plan on staying in the vicinity for several hours and maybe driving home in the evening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Just checked the website above, we are as in the middle of the path of totality as you can get lol. And we live out in the country with little light pollution. Ds is asking already if he can stay home from school that day to see it. Lol. He doesn't remember the partial eclipse of 2017. He was 4yo for that one. He was only really interested in the cool sun glasses for that one lol.

Definitely let him stay home from school. Ideally the school would be taking everyone out to see it, but they'd need eclipse glasses for everyone and their might be liability concerns if a kid takes theirs off.

Speaking of eclipse glasses,  everyone planning to observe should get yours early. They sold out last time!

• Like 2

Also 100% recommend arranging to experience 100% totality.  It's worth making into a family event.

In 2017 we drove over 15 hours and stayed in a hotel.  On eclipse day, we set up a tent in the parking lot--the sun was very hot there in August.  The atmosphere was festive with several large groups spreading meals in their open auto hatches and setting up chairs around.

We had booked an airbnb for the occasion, but sometime before the event the host canceled.  We were able to get a hotel at that time, and I don't remember the cost being remarkable.

Even though we live within 3 driving hours of totality for 2024, we have booked an airbnb so that we can enjoy the day.  We have also booked a hotel room as a backup, and the cost is remarkable.  It could be, though, that the hotels there are always very expensive and not adjusted for this event.

My children are all grown now, but they are excited at the prospect of returning, some from a great distance, and gathering for another eclipse.

• Like 4

I’m on the southern edge of totality, in a 100% zone.  I’m not sure it’s worth driving north ish or not.  

Either family will come to me or I’ll go to them.  I’ll probably go up their house the day before and come back the day after to avoid the traffic.  I’l definitely have my kids and husband take time off work to do that.  

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

He wants to drive to Hot Springs. We can literally drive to just east of Texarkana and be good. He may think Hot Springs is a cool place to be during the eclipse, and it may be, but the whole world will probably be there, too. There has to be a more quiet place! He knows all the little backroads and such. But if he really wants to do it, I will go……😁

Oh yeah, you couldn't pay me to drive to Hot Springs just before the eclipse.  Texarkana all the way!

We're going to Carbondale, which is where we went for 2017.  Only place that hits both eclipses!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I’m on the southern edge of totality, in a 100% zone.  I’m not sure it’s worth driving north ish or not.  

Either family will come to me or I’ll go to them.  I’ll probably go up their house the day before and come back the day after to avoid the traffic.  I’l definitely have my kids and husband take time off work to do that.  

I think if I lived in a 100% zone, I would not drive because of traffic.  

We're driving to Carbondale on Saturday, hanging with friends on Sunday and watching the eclipse on Monday, and then driving part way Monday night and the rest of the way home Tuesday morning.  I just don't think I can safely drive home the whole way starting after the eclipse and dealing with traffic.  Definitely not leaving immediately.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maize said:

Speaking of eclipse glasses,  everyone planning to observe should get yours early. They sold out last time!

This! And also be very careful. Last time there scam artists on Amazon selling non certified glasses, and some people fried their retinas. Get NASA approved ones. Here is the list of approved companies from the last eclipse. I have not yet seen an updated list.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-approved-eclipse-glasses-brands-2017-8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This! And also be very careful. Last time there scam artists on Amazon selling non certified glasses, and some people fried their retinas. Get NASA approved ones. Here is the list of approved companies from the last eclipse. I have not yet seen an updated list.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-approved-eclipse-glasses-brands-2017-8

That's horrible!! 

1 hour ago, maize said:

Definitely let him stay home from school. Ideally the school would be taking everyone out to see it, but they'd need eclipse glasses for everyone and their might be liability concerns if a kid takes theirs off.

I remember going outside to watch an eclipse when I was in 9th grade but that was in the 90s.

He goes to a small, but well funded public school that does all kinds of neat things. Plus he's in the alternative education classroom and his teacher is wonderful and really takes advantage of things in the real world for the kids to learn about. He will be in the same classroom next year so I told him I'd talk to his teacher when it's closer to time and see what their plans are for the eclipse. If they don't plan to make a school activity out of it in the outdoor classroom (which I imagine they will, they did in 2017 for the eclipse), I told him he could stay home to watch it that day. 🙂 

• Like 2