Menu

What to wear to job interview?

saraha

I have an interview for a seasonal weekend job at an Underground Railroad house turned museum as a tour guide/gift shop attendant. They have a costume they wear while working. What would you wear to the interview?

Edited by saraha

• saraha changed the title to What to wear to job interview?

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ 

I wonder how that happened? Freudian slip? I went over the post like 10 times but couldn’t figure it out. Never thought to check the title!

I dont want to throw the interview, although that would be funny, coming up ideas to throw an interview!

Edited by saraha
  • Haha 8

I’m nervous, I haven’t had a job in 23 years except the two years I worked  4 hours a week doing the books for our church’s daycare, which wasn’t  really a job as I didn’t go into an office and worked on my own time. I’m glad it’s just seasonal and that dd18 will be able to drop me off so she can do the driving for eberyone

• Like 4

I'm with others, now that the sweats idea is off the table (gotta admit I'm a little disappointed about it tho, lol). I'd dress on the casual side of business casual, slacks/skirt with a blouse or nice t and cardigan. Sensible shoes.

Alternatively you could go in full costume; it might not be totally appropriate but they'd remember you! 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, saraha said:

which wasn’t  really a job as I didn’t go into an office and worked on my own time

Neither of these things make it less of a job! 

Plenty of people work from home and set their own schedules. 

Practice talking about this job before the interview (yes, out loud) to make sure you don't use dismissive or apologetic language. 

I did the books for a daycare for two years. Full stop. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

When interviewing I ordered an inexpensive basic black suit (pants and blazer) which could be worn with heels or loafers. I adjusted the shoes and top as appropriate - sometimes a graphic or striped collarless t-shirt, sometimes a collared blouse. 

In your case for a history museum job I’d wear slacks and a nice collarless shirt with a jacket and loafers. Personally I feel like a jacket of some sort, even casual, adds a layer of professionalism. 

• Like 1

I got the job!!!! My new boss is very particular about dress. I will have to work up to wearing the period costume 😆. So I am to wear a polo they give me and slacks or khakis. If it’s hot I can wear capris. But my shoes have to be professional looking, but comfortable for walking ( included in the tour is a trip down the steps the slaves used to the river) and no sandals. I can figure out shoes for the slacks, but what kind of shoes for the capris? Or if I get a khaki skirt? It gets hot here in the summer and I am not a hot weather girl, so need shoe options to wear for those times.

Amy suggestions?

• Like 30

Any suggestions if I find a khaki skirt? Ugh, and I’m going to have to learn an updo that is not a ponytail, my hair is down to my waist! Is a French braid professional on a 46 yo? That’s what I wear all summer

Edited by saraha

18 minutes ago, saraha said:

Any suggestions if I find a khaki skirt? Ugh, and I’m going to have to learn an updo that is not a ponytail, my hair is down to my waist! Is a French braid professional on a 46 yo? That’s what I wear all summer

Did he say no pony tail?

She was all, I can’t remember exactly how she said it, I have high expectations for staff appearances. It is hot doing yours in the summer so an appropriate updo would be suitable. I interpreted it as no pony tails on 46 year old women 🤷🏼‍♀️She had a lot to say about appearances 

• Confused 1

Congratulations!!!

https://www.amazon.com/CLARKS-Womens-Ashland-Slip-Loafer/dp/B0121QYMR2/ref=sr_1_11?crid=W2U6RWKOOGVF&keywords=clarks&qid=1682906643&sprefix=clarks%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-11

For shoes with capris, I think you could go with something like the above link.

I would not interpret "updo" as a ponytail or braid. I think you should practice a simple bun. Or perhaps twist your hair up and clip with a big claw clip that matches the color of your hair (those are back in style), if you can do so neatly.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Congratulations!!!

https://www.amazon.com/CLARKS-Womens-Ashland-Slip-Loafer/dp/B0121QYMR2/ref=sr_1_11?crid=W2U6RWKOOGVF&keywords=clarks&qid=1682906643&sprefix=clarks%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-11

For shoes with capris, I think you could go with something like the above link.

I would not interpret "updo" as a ponytail or braid. I think you should practice a simple bun. Or perhaps twist your hair up and clip with a big claw clip that matches the color of your hair (those are back in style), if you can do so neatly.

Would you wear those with socks?

3 hours ago, saraha said:

Is a French braid professional on a 46 yo? That’s what I wear all summer

I think if you do the French braid and then put the braid up into a bun - that would look nice and not be too different from what you already do, and generally braided buns hold really well.

• Like 3

Also, French twists look very neat and professional.  This is a good method for doing a French twist on long hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYc7QuM9Mgk . I tried it on my past-hip-length hair, and it worked well. The way it has you tuck in the remaining hair at the bottom of the twist instead of the more fiddly and fragile top part (or up and down the whole thing) really does the trick better than anything I've tried. And it's quite stable, too, even without using all the pins the lady in the video used.  It took me a few tries to figure out the right amount of hair for the main twist, but I had a solid twist in 5 mins.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, saraha said:

Would you wear those with socks?

Not in the summer. You could wear them into the fall and spring with socks, but I would be particular about what socks, since the cutouts on the shoes will allow the socks to be visible.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, forty-two said:

I think if you do the French braid and then put the braid up into a bun - that would look nice and not be too different from what you already do, and generally braided buns hold really well.

Along these lines, in high school for band, we had to have long hair pinned up.  I used to French braid my own long hair, and also my friends' hair, then tuck the end of the braid up and under and pin it with bobby pins. That way there is no braid hanging down. If you google "French braid tucked under," you can see what I mean.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

Maybe there’s a style from the historical period you’re docenting that you could either emulate or put a modern twist on?

Otherwise I agree with the French twist, or a classic low bun if you’ll be wearing a sun hat.  

image.jpeg.eb5145bea85dc19073ec96dec46d02a4.jpeg

which one should I pick? 😆

Edited by saraha
  • Haha 13

On 4/30/2023 at 7:03 PM, saraha said:

She was all, I can’t remember exactly how she said it, I have high expectations for staff appearances. It is hot doing yours in the summer so an appropriate updo would be suitable. I interpreted it as no pony tails on 46 year old women 🤷🏼‍♀️She had a lot to say about appearances 

I would guess that a neat ponytail is fine but a messy bun on top of your head is unprofessional. I’ll bet a neat bun is ok. My go-to at home is a quick twist and a claw clip and that’s probably NOT what she wants. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saraha said:

image.jpeg.eb5145bea85dc19073ec96dec46d02a4.jpeg

which one should I pick? 😆

Oh my goodness! I wasn’t envisioning victory rolls! I imagined more of something out of Gone With the Wind. 

Ya, you should maybe stick with that low bun or coiled braid. However, I wouldn’t rule out ponytail. If you can wear a high sleek ponytail without inducing a migraine, it’s a popular red carpet choice for celebrities these days so I wouldn’t call it unprofessional. 

Eta in addition to those longer hairpins, you can use a hairnet over the bun. These days you can get them in fine mesh to match your hair color. 

eta2 there’s not enough hair spray in the world!!! Those women must have slept sitting up in chairs! If you really end up loving the job and needing period attire, well, if it were me I’d be wig shopping!

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

I think a french braid would be appropriate and neat, but you can start with it tucked up.    How did you wear your hair for the interview (sorry if I missed you mentioning it)?   I would take her comment to mean something more "up" than whatever you had at the time.  

For walkable shoes with a skirt, I would look for a comfortable, well cushioned ballet flat or a flat pump.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 5:14 PM, saraha said:

I got the job!!!! My new boss is very particular about dress. I will have to work up to wearing the period costume 😆. So I am to wear a polo they give me and slacks or khakis. If it’s hot I can wear capris. But my shoes have to be professional looking, but comfortable for walking ( included in the tour is a trip down the steps the slaves used to the river) and no sandals. I can figure out shoes for the slacks, but what kind of shoes for the capris? Or if I get a khaki skirt? It gets hot here in the summer and I am not a hot weather girl, so need shoe options to wear for those times.

Amy suggestions?

I would wear jungle mocs even with capris. I wear my old pair to summer camp each summer -- in Texas and do not feel they are too hot.

• Like 1