Menu

Halloween 2022

mommyoffive

My kids are too old for dress up 😞  Well, I suppose they could because they enjoy it, if they had a party to go to, but they don't this year.

DD is coming home for the weekend from college.  She is calling it Halloweekend.  She is sad she won't be here on the actual day to help with treats, but she has classes and work.  We are going to watch some shows together and have some fun snacks.

We went to get pumpkins a couple weekends ago, so the kids at home will carve them.  Middle won't be here this year though, so I am sad about that.

We are setting up our trick-or-treat zipline again this year for handing out treats.  We run it from out second story bedroom to the sidewalk.  It is a lot of fun, though some work to set up.  Last year we handed out around 75 bags of treats.  The main streets in our neighborhood give out in the 100s if treats.  I wish I had some good pictures of the zipline.  I think DH has some, so I might add them if I can get them from him.

• Like 7

Two youngest are dressing up.

DS10 will be a chicken.

DD6 will be wearing a cat costume my grandmother sewed for me when I was her age. We found it at my parents' home when they moved last month.

I will be handing out tootsie roll pops and finger traps. Last year, I realized my kids had not clue what a finger trap was, so I put it on my calendar for this September to buy 100 to give out at Halloween. I will be interested to find out what the kids in the neighborhood think!

• Like 7

We just carve pumpkins to decorate and go trick or treating.  

My 11 year old son is going to be Wario.  My 9 year old son is going to be a lobster.  My 7 year daughter is going to be an angel.  My 4 year old daughter is going to be a witch.  

I've seen some hilarious pet costumes, but none of mine ever care for things like that, so I'm saving my money.  

• Like 4

We love Halloween.  I am doing a different Halloween hairstyle on YDD every day this week. 

On Halloween we will all dress up.  We bring the firepit out to the driveway We use the colored fire. Put on a movie outside probably Nightmare before Christmas. The big kids will take the little around a couple of blocks and than head out for more trick or treating while we hang out candy and adult treats.

16 yr old is Ms. Frizzle

14yr old will be in one of her  fur suits that she creates probably a dog.

3yr old will be a princess.

20221026_101331.jpg

• Like 9

We have started decorating for my grandsons' party. I have been making all of them to save money, using my daughter's kid craft supplies. i have a lot of spooky fun healthy snacks to make plus cut out cookies, but I won't make those until the day before. We will have games, pumpkin decorating, and a kid themed Halloween movie to watch. Here is one of the things I have made.

received_476340750950709.jpeg

• Like 7

I had dd last weekend so I took her to a trunk or treat event. She wore a Wanda (The Scarlett Witch) costume. I posted a pic on the Oct craft thread. This coming weekend I don't have the kids, but I am involved with the Halloween classroom party on Monday, Oct. 31. I do not know yet if I will wear a tshirt or my Halloween dress, but no costume planned. I have some Nightmare Before Christmas shirts and a Nightmare Before Christmas print dress. I doubt the dress currently fits me, though. 
I'm babysitting Oct. 29 so if the family wants me to take the kids out I will. 

May be an image of 1 person and child

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Loowit said:

My kids are too old for dress up 😞  Well, I suppose they could because they enjoy it, if they had a party to go to, but they don't this year.

DD is coming home for the weekend from college.  She is calling it Halloweekend.  She is sad she won't be here on the actual day to help with treats, but she has classes and work.  We are going to watch some shows together and have some fun snacks.

We went to get pumpkins a couple weekends ago, so the kids at home will carve them.  Middle won't be here this year though, so I am sad about that.

We are setting up our trick-or-treat zipline again this year for handing out treats.  We run it from out second story bedroom to the sidewalk.  It is a lot of fun, though some work to set up.  Last year we handed out around 75 bags of treats.  The main streets in our neighborhood give out in the 100s if treats.  I wish I had some good pictures of the zipline.  I think DH has some, so I might add them if I can get them from him.

So you send bags down the zip line? That is so cool 

1 hour ago, Loowit said:

I would love to see the zipline! That sounds so cool!

We have always been huge Halloween people, but the last few years we have not hosted our usual Halloween gatherings or handed out treats. We’ve had a family party in the basement with all the decorations, fun finger foods and games with prizes that we normally do for a huge crowd. We then play board games or an escape room in a box and watch appropriately spooky movies. I also added a goblin egg hunt. The kids don’t ToT, but they do get their customary bag of goodies from the Switch Witch (this is a food allergy family thing, since our kids can’t eat anything they ToT anyway). A candy zipline might be a great way to add some fun!

• Like 4

I’m making two sets of costumes for my teens. One for actual Halloween and one for the party we’re hosting the Saturday  before. 🫣

Actual Halloween costumes are a group theme with some friends (Hollow Knight video game). This has been an adventure in paper maché and foam clay.  Seer:

5F184BF1-4D09-48FF-80EC-A91F92DBC193.jpeg.93aacd2d076dc1e8f24434d0f124dfd5.jpeg

Hornet:

BD4DE68F-6CE3-4724-B813-C07F5D48CEAB.jpeg.c182f7a66bc49d1e90326f8a9c560918.jpeg
(This mask a still needs black eye covers and a light sanding. And some magical way to attach it to kid’s head, lol.) Horns are longer than appear in pic.

Party Halloween costumes are Greg (Over the Garden Wall) and Bee (from Bee and Puppcat). Here’s Greg and the teapot I made:

5C5D1CF1-49D9-47A3-BDFA-0AC86F66D913.jpeg.7476c37290b1018b8faa0615d26a8851.jpeg

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 11

Here are a couple pictures from the last two years we have done it.  We got these bags from Amazon to put treats in and I ordered some small black bags with sparkly teal pumpkins off Etsy for non-candy treats for kids with food allergies.  I hook them on to the fishing line with paperclips when the kids come to send them down.  We run purple lights parallel to the fishing line so the kids can see the treats coming down, and we put up a "fence" along the sidewalk with orange lights and fake crime scene tape to keep kids from coming to the door.

DSC00640 b.jpg

DSC01174 b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

DS is making plans with a friend to go ToTing for the first time without adults.  Both kids are pretty quick to adhere to rules and will be taking a sibling with them, so mostly it's just a matter of deciding our neighborhood or theirs.

I am not dressing up.  DS is.  He is going as a clown.

I am making ds's school lunch that day.  He is getting:

Mrs. Lovett's meat pie

Pretzel fingers (I have a bake tray for these) served with a syringe of green cheese dip

Moldy cauldron potatoes (mashed potatoes dyed grey with cheese, bacon, and chives, served in a silicone cauldron)

Eyeballs and teeth (gummies)

It's not the healthiest lunch, but I think he'll get a kick out of it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

If the weather is good, our neighborhood usually has quite the walking party going on..... The kids can trick-or-treat, but the adults can too, for booze or food treats.  People have little contained bonfires in Solo stoves, and people will grill. It's kind of like one of those Hallmark movie moments and I love it.

The current forecast is for rain, though, Youngest has decided she no longer wants to trick-or-treat, and my teens' friends mostly have covid at this point.....so we're doing a party just for us in our home....a good meal, maybe some hot tubbing, some Wii, some hot cocoa eye balls from Costco....but no costumes, no trick or treating, no decorations, no pumpkins.

• Like 5

No kids left at home to dress up. And I suspect my cats would rebel and hurt either themselves or me if I tried to put them in costumes.

My husband and I went to the annual Halloween to-do thrown by one of his RPG buddies last weekend. The theme this year was "Mythology: Real and Invented." We dressed as Edith Hamilton and Joseph Campbell attending an academic conference. It was so nerdy and subtle that we knew no one else would get it, but it amused us. (The costumes didn't show well in photos, but I'll share a couple of pics of the accessories we made. We each wore tweedy blazers -- his with faux leather elbow patches -- with the college t-shirts, and each of us carried a copy of "our" book.)

We did put up the literary graveyard in front of the house as usual. I don't think I took any pictures this year, though.

My husband and I both signed up to contribute pumpkins to the annual Pumpkin Glow event at the nature preserve. Pumpkins need to be dropped off tomorrow or Friday, so we need to get them carved. I have a plan and the necessary pumpkins; I just need the time and energy to follow through.

This weekend, we plan to attend the Pumpkin Glow event and then go wander the historic downtown area, where they put up a lot of lights and decorations and do seasonal projections on Town Hall. On Halloween night, we'll be here to welcome trick-or-treaters and hand out goodies. Last year, we sat outside in the driveway, which was nice. It saved up having to hop up every time the doorbell rang and allowed us to enjoy everyone's costumes and to chat with the neighbors. So, the plan is to do that again. 

IMG_20221022_232309825_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20221022_233225649 (1).jpg

• Like 6

hmm, we are finishing up costumes tomorrow.  DD12is a character from demon slayer.   ds13 and ds9 are characters from DragonballZ. ds5 is a gorilla tag gorilla with a party hat.  dd7 is Eleven. dd2 keeps saying she wants to be a pumpkin, we'll see how that goes.  All homemade costumes. If I remember I'll post pictures. 

In the meantime, here's an old costume, which is my favorite costume I've ever made. 2 points if you know who he is 🙂

FB_IMG_1604195585019.jpg

• Like 6

You all have amazing skills (hair, costumes, ziplines, decorations...) Love it.

DD wants to dress up. She can always TOT with younger cousins, which is nice. She'll be rewearing her first cosplay costume, Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn. 

I always want to dress up but am too cheap to buy something for myself to wear once and am not crafty enough to make something. Maybe I just need some cat ears or something. 🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MercyA said:

I always want to dress up but am too cheap to buy something for myself to wear once and am not crafty enough to make something. Maybe I just need some cat ears or something. 🙂 

There are a lot of very simple costumes that are multipurpose.  I was going through pictures of ds this week: a white tank top and jeans was most of one costume.  A yellow raincoat and red balloon another.   These are things he wore for much of the rest of the year, too.  Oldest ds did a black shirt, black tie, black pants one year and then threw on a cheap white mask under a black hat.  The effect was...startling. 

@hjffkj  I have to know - what was your ds dressed up as??  I have several partial guesses and none quite right!

• Like 2

DS had been building himself a Minecraft costume out of cardboard to wear to school on Halloween. However, he sprained his ankle on Tuesday, so wearing the bottom half is definitely out.  He'll have to wait and see if wearing the top half is feasible with the crutch, if he is still using the crutch next week.  

DD will likely just wear sparkly cat ears and hand out candy like she did last year.

We will carve our pumpkins on Saturday. 

• Like 2

DS10 is going to be a dragon - we got mask/wings/tail on ebay and have some dragon scale fabric to pin on his sweatshirt or coat (depending on how cold it is). 

DS13 is an owl Pokemon called Decidueye.  He did the costume almost entirely himself (I did a bit of the cutting) and it is amazing. He wore it for a youth group party last night, but I haven't taken pictures yet. 

DS15 is going to go trick or treating with his school debate team after practice (I find this to be adorable that a bunch of smart, nerdy teens are going to do this together). He's going to be the "cabbage merchant" from Avatar the last Airbender. I need to help him finish his costume....it's pretty easy but he's super busy and hasn't had time to work on it. 

• Like 3

I have a new “Trick or Teach “ t shirt to wear to school. My team mates are being Expo markers but I hate wearing a costume all day.

The little kids are wearing fabric painted tees- Pete the Cat and an MnM. Pete has now been used like 4 years in a row for different kids, lol.
Young adult kiddo works in an autism program and will be a modified Cinderella (can’t wear a puffy dress in her job so using a tutu and leggings). 

We will TorT this year- first time since covid started.

Our neighborhood is a total dud for Halloween.  There’s just not many kids.  We will be going to our church’s trunk or treat instead.  It’s a lot of fun and my 6yo will come home with a full plastic pumpkin.  She’s dressing up as a dog.  Ds is 15yo, so he may skip dressing up and just hang out with his friends who will be there.  19yo dd is in college and they do a ToT in the different dorms on campus.  She’s dressing as a Hogwart’s student yet again because it’s what she has and she wants to be part of the fun.