Science

History

Art/Art Appreciation

Music/Music Appreciation

Poetry

Read-Alouds

Foreign Language

Memorization

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork?

What do you leave out?

How do you schedule it?

Thank you

With my advanced 7yo:

• English -- we do grammar for about 1 month a year; no formal literature studies, though we have done a poetry unit centered on sound and rhythm
  • Writing/Handwriting -- no formal writing, handwriting integrated with copywork
  • Spelling -- yes
  • Reading/Phonics -- no
  • Math -- yes
  • Science -- yes
  • History -- yes
  • Art/Art Appreciation -- yes
  • Music/Music Appreciation -- I teach her piano, appreciation is not studied formally
  • Poetry -- yes, as read alouds (see English for rest)
  • Read-Alouds -- yes
  • Foreign Language -- yes, Latin and Spanish
  • Memorization -- some (this is effortless for her, so I'm not sure it counts)
  • Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? -- copywork and dictation; narrations are done orally

What do you leave out? -- At the moment we are leaving out grammar, poetry study, formal geography (we did three levels of Evan-Moore Daily Geography previously and do cover some geography as part of history), philosophy, formal music appreciation (informally, this is ongoing), explicit literature studies (I'll be delaying this for at least a couple more years), and I'm sure there are others.

How do you schedule it? -- We do most of the core subjects every day, but for relatively short periods. Typically each day runs two and one half to three hours (not including numerous breaks) and includes about an hour of read aloud for history (most often an historical novel). Those subjects that don't get finished are looped to the next day. Some subjects get rotated and treated as units. These include: grammar, poetry, geography, philosophy, logic puzzles, art appreciation, and applied science.

I try to streamline as much as possible, but I know others do a much better job at that than I. I also rotate some subjects, mainly literature study, spelling, art, music history, and science. We work on them for a while, then take a break an do something else.

Here's what my elder two dc, in 7th and 6th grades, have been working on this fall/winter:

Spelling

Grammar

Writing (only copywork, dictation, and narrations)

Literature

Math

History (includes reading historical fiction and non-fiction books)

Poetry memorization

Foreign Language (French and Latin)

Logic

Read alouds (at bedtime)

Starting in January we are going to do this:

Grammar

Writing (will start a writing curriculum, and probably continue dictations)

Math

History (will include copywork)

Poetry memorization

Foreign Language (French and Latin)

Logic

Science (this will include narrations)

Literature/read alouds (I'm going to try using a PP lit guide orally with a read aloud, so it won't be part of our daily schedule, but part of our bedtime routine)

Once we finish the science unit, we will probably do art and art appreciation or music history, and we will add spelling back in at some point this year. My elder two are in band, so that takes care of music instruction, plus they use Music Ace software recreationally. Oh, and for art appreciation, we have a page-a-day calendar on our kitchent table; each page has a reproduction of a piece fromt the National Gallery of Art. I would like to add Bible study back in there somewhere, but haven't really decided how I want to do it.

Scheduling...I use a "loop" schedule. We do reading, music practice, math drill, and poetry memorization every day. The other subjects are on a list and we cycle through the list stopping at a point each day when I feel like we've had enough. The next day we pick up wherever we stopped. We haven't gotten through quite as much material as I had hoped, but we are close to where I wanted to be at this point, so I plan to stick with this type of schedule for now.

My 3rd and 1st graders are doing:

Handwriting (will switch to writing once they finish their books)

Spelling

Phonics (3rd grader is just about finished, he will just read books instead)

Math

Geography

Science (will start this in January with older siblings)

Poetry memorization (we do this as a family)

French

They pretty much do everything every day. Lessons with these two are short and sweet, and they are typically done pretty quickly.

History

English (writing, vocab, grammar, literature)

Math

Science

Latin

Greek

Spanish

Geography

Art

Those are his homeschool subjects. He also sings with a rigorous teaching choir, takes organ lessons and has four dance classes a week.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I'll tell you that we're woefully behind in Latin, and have decided to attempt only half as much this year as I initially planned. And, due to dance committments and an unplanned-for road trip, he's a least a little behind in a few other subjects, too.

But we'll start working on catching up in everything (except for the aforementioned Latin) after the holidays.

Phonics or Spelling--use Spell to Write and Read phonograms or Rod and Staff Reading

Reading comprehension--use Rod and Staff Reading or McCall-Harby/McCall-Crabb's Test Lessons in Reading

Language arts (includes English, Latin, grammar and vocabulary)--use Lively Latin or Rod and Staff English

Penmanship leading to Composition--we use copywork and narration. I have a whole post about what I do here at my blog: http://closeacademy.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-i-educate-part-two-language-arts.html

Math--we use Singapore

Science, history, art & music appreciation, social topics, geography, etc.--we use lapbooks and unit studies where my child can pick a topic and fully explore it for 2 weeks.

Read Alouds--done at bedtime

How do I schedule it?

I do short intense lessons. A typical day would look like this:

January 5

1st Grade

Rod and Staff Reading reader p. 1-15

phonics workbook p. 6 a_e, ai and ay words

reading workbook p. 6

worksheet 1

Rod and Staff math lesson 29

Addition story from Serendipity blog

Lapbook on Meercats (2 booklets)

3rd Grade

Math Singapore Extra Practice 3 p. 1-2

Story of the World p. 35-38 King James

Lively Latin p. 1-2 nouns

My Pals are Here Science 4b text p. 0-3

activity guide p. 2-3 Respiratory system

Lapbook (topic undecided)

It works well for us, the lapbooks mix things up so we don't feel the need to upgrade curriculum all the time and stick with what works for us.:001_smile:

My first grader is doing:

Math: yes, Saxon 2

Spelling: independently with Spelling Workout A/B

Reading: some scheduled independent reads and she reads on her own all the time

Read Alouds: yes, ,storybooks with both kids and some chapter books along with our history living books we all read together

Phonics: only the review she gets with the spelling workout

Writing: yes, WWE and some dictation I throw in

Handwriting: Abeka Cursive First Grade

Grammar: yes, FLL along with WWE

History: yes, American History this year

Science: yes, but we tend to rotate history and science throughout the year, Nature study as often as we can but not every week

Poetry: mostly through memory work

Memory Work: yes with poems and some other things

Art: yes, right now we are learning briefly about artists and complete a project that relates to their work

Music: only starting to listen to music

Bible: learning Catechism, church Awana,

Co-op: she gets an hour of science, history, art, and music each week

I think that's it. Next year I want to add Mindbenders and in third I want to add Latin. Also I rotate our science and history meaning that each month there is a focus on one of these instead of the other.

English, Writing/Handwriting, Narration, Dictation and Copywork. Yes, combined within Primary Language Lessons, we'll use Writing Tales next.

Spelling (copywork and dictation) - Yes, Simply Spelling

Reading/Phonics Yes but about to finish

Math Yes

Science Yes

History, Art Appreciation, Music Appreciation, Read-Alouds combined Yes

Poetry Memorization Yes

Foreign Language- Yes, Latin

we also have:

Informal Logic- 1x a week

Art instruction- 1x a week

Piano lesson - 1x a week, practice everyday

Nature Study- 1x a week at least

What do you leave out?

Formal Grammar instruction, dropped French recently.

How do you schedule it?

I use products that allow me to streamline as much as possible. Scheduling depends on each curricula, how many times a week I think we should do it, what pace my child is able to learn at, etc. It's an individual thing.

We do ...

Phonics/Handwriting/Spelling (all from ETC)

Reading

Math

Science

History

Poetry

Read-Alouds

Memorization

Narration

Copywork

How do you schedule it?
Our schedule is as follows:

30-45 mins read aloud (oral narration)

Poetry reading/memorization

History/History narration (written narration)

ETC (covers phonics/handwriting/spelling)

Copywork (for first grader) (ETA: Starting in January, 1st grader will be doing WWE here)

Reading

Science (M/F) (written narration)

Math (Lessons on T/Th, math games M/W/F)

We start at 8:30 and are done between 11:15 and noon. We take a 15-minute break at 10:30. I do the written narrations.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

English

Writing/Handwriting

Spelling

Reading/Phonics

Poetry

Read-Alouds

Memorization

I group all this under either Lit/Comp or Language Arts -- so something from this list is done every day, but not everything every day. If he's in the middle of a book, we won't be doing poetry, and if he's working hard at spelling we might be easing up on grammar. We're pretty well past the phonics stage, except insofar as spelling is phonetic. Our copywork/dictation and memorization tends to go along with poetry study, and our narration is tied to history and science.

Math - yes, daily

Science - yes, almost daily

History - yes, almost daily

Foreign Language - Spanish and Latin and occasional Russian, each almost daily (except Russian is spotty)

Art/Art Appreciation

Music/Music Appreciation

These are the two that I tend to outsource... and art/art appreciation is done as individual classes that don't last all year. Maybe 8 or 16 weeks in a year total. Music definitely though -- he plays flute in a wind ensemble and has private lessons with a heavy music-theory bent. We did a lot of art and art appreciation last year, between taking three art technique classes and participating in a monthly museum class for discussing art. This year we've done less, but I have all kinds of good intentions to pick it up more in the spring. If we don't, though, we're still riding on the excess of last year! ;)

Do you do...

English: 5th Grader gets a formal grammar program, 3rd grader gets informal, daily

Writing: Writing Tales 1 &2 daily

Spelling: Copywork weekly

Reading: Science, History, and Literature twice a week

Math: Primary mathematics daily

Science: They are studying the human body, but using different curricula (2 days a week)

History: Story of the World Volume 1(2 days a week)

Art/Art Appreciation: Amblesideonline , once a week

Music/Music Appreciation: They both take Suzuki violin and tradition piano lessons (practice is daily, but the lessons are only one a week) They learn composers in their lesson.

Poetry: Amblesideonline, I have been delinquent this past semester. They only did one poem so far

Read-Alouds: One Year Bible, daily

Foreign Language: Latin and Spanish, Charlotte Mason style (I am teaching them on my own) (3days a week for Latin and 1 week for Spanish)

Memorization: AWANA verses (daily memorization, but once a week classes)

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? stuff they do in Writing Tales, etc.

What do you leave out? Dictation : due to negligence

How do you schedule it?

English/Copywork/Writing Combined younger 3 with Rod and Staff. Oldest uses Stewarts and Wordsmith

Spelling/Copywork/Dictation Spelling Wisdom

Reading/Readalouds/Narration My Father's World Book Basket lists and oldest has history related literature

Math Math U See (my oldest uses the high school levels and my 3 younger sons are combined since they are just a year apart.)

Science/Nature Study high school science and 3 youngest combined with My Father's World

History High School history and 3 youngest combined with My Father's World

Art/Art Appreciation My Father's World and oldest uses 300 Art Lessons/Short Lessons in Art History

Music/Music Appreciation My Father's World and music lessons for all

Poetry/Memorization Harp and Laurel Wreath for all

Foreign Language Spanish for high school and Latina Christiana for younger 3 dc

Bible/Memorization My Father's World for younger dc and oldest uses Explorers Bible Study

Logic Mind Benders, Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox

What do you leave out? Lately, we have left Logic out. :D

How do you schedule it? Nature Study, Music Lessons, Latin, and Logic are 1x/week. Science is 2-3x/week for the younger ones. My dc also fit in some free reading or independent reading in between subjects usually while I'm working with another child.

This is what we do daily for both:

Bible

English

Spelling

Math

Reading

We alternate days on History and Science

DS, 11, also has:

Typing

IEW

English From the Roots Up once a week

DD, 7, also has:

Handwriting

Speech therapy once a week

We typically cover art and music in the summer. This past summer we had art history and studied the origins of church hymns.

We did a co-op once a week this semester where they had some fun classes (cooking, president study, karate, etc). I'm about 90% sure will will continue it after Christmas with a few new classes.

Also, both kids are in Scouts so I definately could count that toward education!

Edited by charlotteb

Here's my overall plan. I try to teach one thing and then another, so for example, spelling doesn't start untl phonics is finished.

Math

Phonics --> Spelling --> Vocabulary

Reading --> Literature

Grammar (3rd grade to 9th-10th grade)

Penmanship/Dictation (to 5th grade)

Copywork --> Writing (writing starts in 3rd grade)

Poetry Memorization --> Speech

Analogies/Logic (starting in 6th grade)

Science (starting in 6th grade)

History/Geography/Economics/Government

Bible Memory and Catechism --> Bible Study --> Worldview

Latin/Greek (more Latin, some Greek)

Art/Music appreciation (one or the other)

Health (7th grade, 9th grade)

We use private instruction for art and music lessons, as well as phys ed. Those are done every year.

We also do Classical Conversations for extra memory work.

My child is in 3rd grade and doing Ambleside

We work by what type of work it is:

Morning Work (w/sister)

Music Appreciation (listen to classical, hymn or folk song) while everyone gets ready

Memory Work (usually scripture for Awanas) while I get breakfast to table

Devotions

Poetry

Art Appreciation (picture is saved as computer background)

Morning work is most likely to be skipped because my dd goes to public school and we can get rushed and one morning a week she goes in very early for Odyssey of the Mind. I then try to read poem to him during read aloud time and we listen to music at dinner time.

Pencil Work

Math -two activities: one must be a singapore exercise and the other: another exercise, Challenge Word problem, speed drill, Countdown to Logic, Mental Math or Math game (logic done once a week regardless)

*if we have a lot going on I drop the second math requirement for the day.

Copywork -if in a rush we grab cursive book to do on the road or skip

Composition- We do Wordsmith Apprentice and I break up some of the longer assignments because he is writing phobic. We also skip to do: book reports, research papers, thank you cards, pen pal letters.

Lapbooks: He does one item for lapbook that goes with history almost daily (occasionally we skip)

He does one item for nature study lapbook twice weekly and for geography twice weekly (alternate days).

Read Alouds (narration afterwards)

Literature: Daily - we do Pilgrim's Progress once a week and then we do the other book the rest of the day. We do one book a quarter so the readings are not very long.

Nature Studies-Read twice week from Nature Study book (and then we look at youtube video of that animal during snack or lunch)

Geography-Twice week from Geography book (different day than nature studies)

History-Read aloud from biography or spine

Miscellaneous

Reading (DITHOR-usually done orally due to his writing phobia)

Science (BFSU -main lesson on weekends with sister and he and I do extra stuff from library books, an online game, tv show, field trip, etc in week and also do lego league stuff)

Music -guitar practice

Science is most likely to be skipped but we do it at least once a week (twice if you count lego league). Sometimes if the experiment is really cool, we save for evenings when DD is home. We do a nature walk/study with her weekly also.

Computer

Spanish (Rosetta Stone) or Vocabulary (Word Roots)

Math (Skillbuilders)

Language Arts (Book Adventure Quiz or Skillbuilders)

Typing

CarSchooling (Varies with day and mood)

Picturebook reading -any book that goes with science or history, etc. (I use this most when we have to go somewhere and wait like chiropracter, dentist, etc).

Educational Songs- Geography states songs, science songs, Math fact songs etc. (varies with mood)

Spelling -I call words from SRW and does them spelling bee style (words missed get discussed and then brought up again next week, if still mised they get used in copywork)

When sister is car we have audio book going for extra literature. This is done almost daily on way home from picking her up from school.

Evening Read Alouds

Literature -usually related to history but also classics

Bio (I'm reading Castle Diary so reading is very short lol)

Myth or Legend or other anthology reading (twice a week instead of one the other two)

Outside Classes (once a week usually)

Bible-Awanas and Sunday School

PE-Gymnastics, football or baseball team

Music-Guitar Lessons

Science-Lego Leauge

Weekend with Sister

Math game

BFSU Science

Computer Activities: Math Detective and some sort of critical thinking game like Chess, Crazy Machines

Handicraft

We are not as consistent as I would like to be with Science but we get a good bit done. We are working on consistency with guitar practice as we've only had it for a month and haven't developed daily practice habit yet!

I haven't done much as far as real art lessons other than handicrafts (mostly origami and balloon animals but some Christmas presents for family too). We did the Draw Write Now lessons for animals we covered in nature studies but that's it. He is not the artistic kind of kid.

We have only done a couple of dictations this year. We will do more next year in 4th grade.

Our basic day is about three hours: morning time, pencil work, read alouds, miscellaneous, and computer activities. We go to four hours some days because of dawdling.

Edited by AuntPol

Just this week I am planning to try something different. Previously I have planned the work I wanted to get done in each subject. But I am experimenting with simply setting a certain amount of time aside for each subject, with the goal of getting as much done as we can, and then being done with it. The way I was planning (over-planning!) I always felt like we were behind. I hate that feeling. So I have really simplified and streamlined, and this is what we're trying:

MATH - one hour

(We use RightStart and a workbook I picked up at a local bookstore for extra practice.)

LATIN - half an hour

(Latin Prep I)

WRITING - half an hour

(This will continue to include spelling practice, in her particular case, for as long as necessary, as well as typing practice. And the rest of the time for brief narrations or creative writing. This isn't much time devoted to writing, I realize, but this is my daughter's weakest area, and I don't want to overtax her by expecting too much. I'm using a gentle approach here to avoid frustration and causing her to grow to hate the subject.)

READING - two hours

(This is me reading aloud to her, and her reading aloud to me, and her reading some silently. It will include not just literature, but also history and science.)

You'll see I don't have music or art planned as formal subjects. These are the "icing" that we do as time allows and interest dictates. I don't plan them out. Give me a few weeks and I can let you know how well this "brilliant" plan works. :D This was inspired in part by the approach of the Robinson Curriculum, but I have adjusted the amounts of time spent on each subject as I feel best suits my dd's needs. Also, I disagree with him profoundly that Latin isn't important enough to include in the schedule, so that's why it's there. Oh, and for the record, my dd is in 3rd grade.

1. Bible
  2. Language Arts -- Includes Literature, Penmanship, Grammar, Spelling, Vocabulary and Composition.
  3. Science
  4. History
  5. Math
  6. Art/Art Appreciation
  7. Music/Music Appreciation
  8. Health
  9. P.E.
  10. Latin
  11. Virginia History (Grade 4 only)

During the "Traditional" School Year, we do: Bible, Language Arts, Science (2-days), History (3 days), Math, Art (3 days), Music (5 days), and Latin.

From May-August we will do Math, Composition/Penmanship, Arts & Crafts, Music, Health, Latin and Virginia History.

Next year, my oldest will also add Spanish to his list -- but he's losing VA History :D

My first grader does school work Mon-Thurs. On Friday we usually have a field trip, nature study or craft day. Though I am considering doing her core subjects on Fridays as I realize we're a bit behind due to me being in school full time and borrowing some of her school time for my school time.

English

Writing/Handwriting

Spelling

Reading/Phonics

Memorization

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork

Poetry

This is all covered by doing Explode the Code, Writing With Ease, and First Language Lessons. I really like the fit of these programs together. They cover a lot of areas in our curriculum. I have Laurel Wreath on order to beef up our poetry some more. She loves memorizing and reading poetry.

Math
We use Right Start level B. She does a lesson daily Mon-Thurs and plays a math game at least twice a week.

History
We are using History Odyssey Ancients level 1 with Story of the World and UILEofH as our spines. We do history on Mon and Weds.

Science
We mostly do unit type studies that I come up with. We do a nature walk/study at least once a week. Her dad does astronomy with her at least one evening a week. They take our laptop outside and use a program to find and identify constellations. We have a lot of science related read alouds as well. Science is done on Tues and Thurs.

Art/Art Appreciation

Music/Music Appreciation

We take a lot of trips to the art museum and to different plays/concerts/shows. However, I would consider this a weak area and as she gets older I plan to do something a little more formal.

Foreign Language
None for now. Latin will be introduced next year. Edited by sweetfeet

English Not yet as ds is in K. I won't until he's in 2nd Year.

Writing/Handwriting Daily

Spelling Through phonics, so not yet.

Reading/Phonics Daily. Read aloud for five min minimum and do Phonics for another 15 min.

Math MCP one page daily, 15 min., next year alternate MCP and Miquon.

Science Once a week for 30 min., nature walk once a week.

History None yet.

Art/Art Appreciation Art once a week.

Music/Music Appreciation Piano once a week.

Poetry Daily, with memorization.

Read-Alouds Daily, 15-20 min.

Foreign Language Spanish once a week.

Memorization See Poetry.

Narration Not yet, staring in First.

Copywork See penmanship. Next year more formally.

Geography Once a week.

Do you do...

I have two 5th and one 3rd grader. Comments fit all three if not specified.

English for me this is the umbrella name for all the little stuff below, so I'm not sure I'd call it a different subject

Writing - Weekly writing class, with waaay too much homework, reports for science. Youngest also does WWE2.

Handwriting - Penmanship about 2x per week

Spelling -2-4x per week

Vocabulary - Word Roots 1p. per week.

Grammar - Easy Grammar 1-3x week with older kids, Punctuation Puzzlers 2 p. week for older kids, Editor in Chief 1p. week all kids. Also get a ton of grammar with the two foreign languages.

Reading - Don't have a separate reading curriculum, they just read a ton. For the younger child, I do cover some phonetics in spelling and dictation.

Monthly book club for each age - older kids discussion with Socratic questioning, younger does Literature Circles.

Math - Main curriculum 3-4x per week, About 3-4 pp of supplemental math per week as well.

Science - Biweekly hands-on coop with reading/writing homework. In past years have also done a ton of museum trips and outside classes; less of that this year. Science Detective 1 lesson/week for older kids.

History - Evening read-alouds and assigned reading. Field trips whenever we can.

Geography - Map Skills book 1x week.

Logic - various Critical Thinking/Mindware books

Art/Art Appreciation - In the past, art classes and museum trips. This year I bought Artistic Pursuits, but it's not getting done.

Music/Music Appreciation - They all play an instrument and practice daily. They also sing in both a chorus and youth choir at church, and we attend various musical productions throughout the year. We also always get CDs of music from whatever historical time period we're studying.

Poetry - Monthly poetry memorization group, and poetry teas when we get to it.

Read-Alouds - Mostly history, sometimes science or math related, at bedtime. Try to remember to get in some fairy tales for the youngest as well (when the older two were younger, tons of fairy tales). Also, we've been listening to lots of audio books in the car.

Foreign Language - German and Spanish class 1x week each, with homework and reading over week for each.

Memorization - not a separate subject. Lots of music memorization (Suzuki), and that monthly poetry memorization (sadly, usually crammed).

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? - Youngest is doing WWE2, which covers all of this. The older two, not as much, although one is doing Spelling Wisdom which is dictation, and the penmanship program has some copywork.

What do you leave out? Right now it's art that's suffering the most. I may well end up signing them up for a class in the second half of the year.

How do you schedule it? Instrument practice daily, first thing in morning. Then, 4 mornings a week, math, grammar, spelling, penmanship in morning. Classes are many afternoons and Friday and Saturday mornings. Homework from them is done in afternoons or evenings, or in morning if it still needs to get done! Also independent work is done in afternoons.

bible

grammar

spelling

phonics

copywork

penmanship

vocabulary

memorization

reading

writing

math

science

history

spanish

latin

spanish

french

art

music

logic

health

and for fun when we have time we are working through history of the horse by request of my dd.

We don't obviously do everything every day and some thing only take 5 minutes to complete but there is all is. Also not included on that list is the extra currics they take out of the home, and the extra therapy type th9ings I do with them (speech, adhd empower book etc)

English - we do some form everyday either grammar/copywork/dictation/writing

Handwriting - two pages in pentime each day

Spelling - two programs - spelling power and Calvert Mastery CD/Everyday spelling

Reading/Phonics - He reads on his own - chapter books of his choice. Occasionally we also do book studies in LLATL (4 each year)

Math - daily

Science - 4 days a week (NOEO)

History - 3 days a week

Art/Art Appreciation - co-op class, drawing with DWN one day a week.

Music/Music Appreciation - co-op class

Read-Alouds - we do his History as a read aloud since the writing style can be confusing for him.

Geography - 2 times a week

Bible lessons - daily

What do you leave out? We are not doing Foreign Language this year. And *gasp*...we have no plans to ever do Latin.

I use Hillside's PLL and ILL so that includes poetry, memorization (which I'll admit to not pushing very hard on at all), dictation, narration, writing, copy work, and grammar.

I do phonics and spelling together in their spellers and Explode the Code.

Reading is a given around here, but I only read-aloud to the younger ones. Once they are really good readers on their own, they don't like me reading to them and prefer to read to the younger siblings themselves even.

math

history/science via reading/writing

faith formation/religious instruction

That's it for the kids under 5th grade.

Once they hit 5th grade, I add a seperate history and science program, and by then they no longer have much need for a seperate spelling/phonics.

ETA: If I could afford it, I'd add in a foreign language. That's my only regret.

Do you do...

English - will be using Mad Libs for a casual few months of grammar

Writing/Handwriting - still trying to find the right curriculum for writing

Spelling - Apples and Pears

Reading/Phonics - assigned literature

Math - MCP Mathematics, will switch to Teaching Textbooks when they come out with the Mac versions for elementary

Science - Focus on Science from Steck-Vaughn

History - US history textbook from Steck-Vaughn

Art/Art Appreciation - Usborne art book

Music/Music Appreciation - don't do

Poetry - don't do

Read-Alouds - I choose what I think DS will enjoy. Currently reading through all the Harry Potter books, we are on number four.

Foreign Language - not yet

Memorization - don't do

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? not formally

We do science 2x per week.

Geography 2x per week.

All the rest 4x per week.

Michelle T

I have a 1st and 3rd grader:

English - GWG

Writing/Handwriting - WWE, history narrations and science lab write-up for the 3rd grader.

Spelling - AAS

Reading/Phonics - They've finished phonics. The 3rd grader does readings based on history, plus other classic lit and saint novels. The 1st grader does readings based on science (animals) or history.

Math - Saxon

Science - 1st grader: animal and human body studies w/ lapbooks; 3rd grader: chemistry

History: SOTW

Art/Art Appreciation - Drawing w/ Children. Art appr. is something we've left out, but that I'm hoping to add in after Christmas.

Music/Music Appreciation - they are both learning the piano. For music appr. we listen to classical music during the day, especially lunch.

Poetry - they almost always have a poem that they're working on memorizing. We start the day with this for about 10 minutes.

Read-Alouds - on and off. I've read the original Pinochio and Charlotte's Web to them before bedtime so far this school year.

Foreign Language - Latin for the 3rd grader. Italian for both, but very light. My husband is from italy with all of his family still there, so the kids do need to learn it.

Memorization - sometimes added into history and science study. nothing very formal.

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork - WWE as stated above for writing and AAS has dictation

This is what my 8yo and 6yo do...

English: Growing with Grammar 3 times per week

Writing/Handwriting: WWE 4 times per week, and we are starting New American Cursive in January (I'm not sure how often we'll do that yet)

Spelling: None formally yet, 8yo will start Spelling Power sometime after the new year

Reading/Phonics: OPGTR for 6yo, CLE Happy Hearts book for 8yo along with dictionary, done 3-4 days per week; Both do ETC, which 8yo will finish this school year, done 4 days per week

Math: Horizons math, done 4-5 days per week

Science: This one we have let go...will do more Atoms and Molecules experiments starting in January, and do the Complete book of animals also. We are also reading The Burgess Animal Book for Children.

History: We just started with SOTW 1 and will schedule it in 2-3 days per week starting in January

Art/Art Appreciation: they get this at our co-op on Tuesdays

Music/Music Appreciation: they get this at our co-op on Tuesdays (I teach music classes there for ages 4-9)

Poetry: just got a copy of The Harp and Laurel Wreath, planning to start memorizing from it in January

Read-Alouds: I tend to slack more than I like on this...trying to always have something going. Going to work on this. Plus reading the Burgess book and history read alouds.

Foreign Language: Latin using Song School Latin, one chapter per week.

Memorization: not much right now.

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? This is covered in WWE for right now, and we will do some Narration with SOTW.

What do you leave out? currently leaving out science and memorization. We just bought a house and moved so this fall school has not been very structured. We are fixing that problem and will start back in with everything in January.

How do you schedule it? We have co-op 1 day per week and do 4 days per week at home. I break everything into how many days it should be done (usually 3 or 4 days) and we do the next thing. I make a list out over the weekend before to see what we should be done and mark whether we get to it all or not. And then I have to give myself permission to adjust as necessary! I think scheduling it all in and getting it all done is the hardest part for me, with a new house and a newly turned 2 year old underfoot, but we are doing ok!

English - We use Intermediate Language Lessons 3x a week.

Writing/Handwriting - We use HWOT K5 thru 4th grade.

Spelling - We have not used a formal spelling curriculum. DS is a proficient and voracious reader and his spelling is quite good.

Reading/Phonics - We cover literature selections thru TOG. I do introduce phonics starting around age 3 and move into regular instruction in K5.

Math - We use Saxon 4x a week. For K5 we do daily "work" with manipulatives and play math games.

Science - We use the Apologia Exploring Creation series 3x a week.

History - History is the center of our curriculum. We use TOG and cover History, Literature, Geography, Fine Arts, Bible, and Church History.

Art/Art Appreciation - We cover this regularly thru TOG.

Music/Music Appreciation - Our oldest ds10 recently joined our co-op band. I cover music theory with him at home and he recieves formal instruction 1x a week at the co-op.

Poetry - We use poetry for copywork, dictation, and memorization.

Read-Alouds - We do them, especially in the younger grades before the child is reading well on their own. Truthfully I don't love to do it. I make good use of books on tape.

Foreign Language - We dabble in Spanish thru our co-op but have not undertaken more rigorous studies at home. We do plan to cover a foreign language in high school.

Memorization - See above, Poetry.

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? See above, Poetry.

We do the following with my ds6:

English- LLFTVY

Writing/Handwriting-Copywork, right now using Draw Write Now for our unit study on Indians

Spelling-AAS

Reading/Phonics-Combo of Abeka, PP, and McGuffey readers plus ETC

Math-Rightstart

Science-2 days/ week

History-2 days/week

Music/Music Appreciation

Poetry from Ambleside Online

Read-Alouds

Memorization (1 poem, 2 hymns, and 1 patriotic song per term, plus lots of bible verses through Awana)

Narration, Dictation, and Copywork (this is included in the English/grammar program we use)

Include but very sporadically:

Art/Art Appreciation

We do not do:

Foreign Language. Next year my ds will be in 2nd and we 'hope' to start Song School Latin. But I have a feeling this will be one area that I will struggle not only to teach but also to make time for. But I think it's important. :001_huh:

It seems like alot when you write it down but it doesn't take long.

English,Writing/Handwriting, Spelling, Reading/Phonics- This takes about an hour

Math takes 30 min

Science or history- depends on what we're doing 15min to an hour(rarely) This also includes readalouds

Other Readalouds including poetry-varies from 0 min to 2 or 3 hours if you include bedtime, although I try to always read some each day.

Bible/Awana/Memory/Music work about 15min

Art-If it's art appreciation, we do it at Ambleside online and it's only 5-10min. If it's an art project, this varies.

Do you do...

English

Writing/Handwriting

Spelling

Reading/Phonics

Poetry

Read-Alouds

All of these are included in our Language arts program (LLATL). I do use HWT for basic handwriting, then just give them pointers during copywork/dictation after that. Not a lot of reading is assigned in LLATL, but my dc are always reading anyway. And I read aloud as requested (and the youngers do request).

Math--Daily

Science--Once per week with dh.

History/World Geography (this year)--Twice per week with one of those days doing a project of some sort (art, cooking, oral/written reports...)

Art/Art Appreciation--a little included in Geography

Music/Music Appreciation--4 of my 6dc are in a homeschool choir that meets once a week. They sing a variety of styles of music. My 13yo dd also loves music and is exposing us all whether we want it or not (I appreciate it--her 17yo, 15yo, and 11yo brothers don't much)

Memorization--scriptures sometimes for church, and sometimes something as part of boy/girl scouts. I don't look for things for them to memorize.

Foreign Language--Hasn't happened for us this year, but 3 dc took a homeschool sign language class last year.

English Comp.

Spelling & Voc.

Literature

History

Science

Math

Piano Lessons (Only older student) *

Art Lessons locally *

EFTRU (review now)

Spanish

Winter Astronomy Night Sky Unit Study

Fall, spring and summer session swim & gym classes *

* Outsourced classes that I do not teach

English (grammar? not yet)

Writing/Handwriting (yes)

Spelling (yes)

Reading/Phonics (reading, yes; phonics, no)

Math (yes)

Science (yes)

History (yes)

Art/Art Appreciation (yes)

Music/Music Appreciation (not especially)

Poetry (no)

Read-Alouds (yes)

Foreign Language (Latin)

Memorization (yes)

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? (yes, no, yes)

We're still working on our schedule... In no particular order, here's what we do:

Writing/Handwriting/copywork - something every day

We do a page of handwriting/copywork a day

Spelling - every day

I just pull words from whatever we're working on for the week

Reading/Phonics - Andrew is an excellent reader, so we don't do Phonics,

but he does read one chapter a day and write a narration page from a

book my grandmother gave him.

Math - a page or two a day

Science - one subject a week, a page or two a day

History - something every day

read a section, do the corresponding map/coloring page, 4-sentence

narration per section(I write, Andrew copies), art projects too

Art - something with whatever we're doing in history

Read-Alouds - books that go with history or science

Latin - little bit every day. So far, the lessons seem to take about a week

Memorization - that's in his copywork

Do you do...

English FLL only takes a few minutes

Writing/Handwriting I combine this with spelling

Spelling I use the program in my sig combined with handwriting

Reading/Phonics I only do spelling and incidental reading as it applies to other subjects

Math We use MUS and Addition Made Easy (which is much faster than the same lesson in MUS)

Science This is combined with our Geography. We do one week of animals, on the continent

History Then we study the peoples and cultures in the various countries

Art/Art Appreciation Art as it applies to subjects

Music/Music Appreciation We did Music in K... MFW has an easy program I was very happy with it.

Poetry FLL has this.

Read-Alouds I do these as they apply to Geography

Foreign Language We get to sign language about once a week, we will get sign language or Spanish scheduled daily starting in 3rd grade.

Memorization Poetry in FLL

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? This is combined with FLL and Spelling.

What do you leave out?

How do you schedule it?

Thank you

So to answer your question (of course we are only starting first grade, so the time will get longer, but I still intend to combine where I can...

On Mon, Wed, Fri we do:

1. Sign Language (25 minute show and integrated throughout the day)

2. Geography Read Aloud (about 10 minutes)

3. FLL (5-10 minutes)

4. Spelling (15-20 minutes)

5. Math (20-30 minutes)

We integrate oral review of these throughout the day, especially when Dad comes home and we tell him what we learned.

On Tuesday and Thursday we do:

1. One Geography reading

2. One Geography project

3. One notebooking page with integrated dictation, narration, copywork or spelling

4. One Geography Read Aloud

5. Brief oral review of Math

6. Handwriting with copywork and spelling combined if needed (it may just be part of the notebooking page)

If we buckled down and really worked without interruptions, we would cover all of the subjects you listed except music and art appreciation in an hour and a half tops. As it is it takes us many interruptions and we are done at around 2:30.

:)

English...I am assuming you mean grammar, which we do daily.

Writing/Handwriting...Writing, at this stage, is copywork and narration. We do a penmanship book at the beginning of the year, but then work on penmanship in other work. Also daily here.

Spelling...Daily, but 3 missed words is our limit. I do the writing, because he can't focus on both the act of writing AND the spelling...he will take over when writing is second-nature for him.

Reading/Phonics...We're done with phonics. We have literature day once a week, when we read a classic. Right now, it's The Wind in the Willows, 1-2 chapters/week.

Math...Daily.

Science...We do science once a week here, but I always check out extra books from the science section of the library so he will have plenty to read in his spare time...he loves science!

History...Again, once a week. We use History Odyssey, but we DON'T do the projects.

Art/Art Appreciation...Once a week, using Artistic Pursuits.

Music/Music Appreciation...Piano practice is daily...We move on in our lesson book when I feel he is ready; usually one "lesson" a week, but sometimes every 2 weeks. We don't do formal music appreciation, but we do put music on in the background.

Poetry/Memorization...My son loves to memorize poetry, and I can't wait to get IEW's poetry program. He will have a BLAST. We are not doing this right now, though.

Read-Alouds...We do read-alouds mostly in the context of other subjects, unless he has a special request.

Foreign Language...Spanish and Latin, both daily, but Latin at the beginning of the day and Spanish towards the end.

Not on your list:

Geography and Religion. We do each of these once a week, as well.

It seems like a lot, but we generally start at 10 am and finish at 2 pm, taking about an hour out for breaks (total).

English- GWG, FLL 1/2

Writing/Handwriting- Writing Strands, WWE 1, Getty-Dubay Italic

Spelling- Dr. Fry's Spelling

Reading- On level books

Math- Singapore 5B, 3A

Science- Apologia Botany

History- SOTW Ancients

Art- God and the History of Art

Music- Composer study

Poetry- Classic

Read-Alouds- Currently Sign of the Beaver

Foreign Language- Spanish

Grammar- GWG3, 3 times per week

Writing- CW Aesop A (4x/wk), history narration (2x/wk), science write-up (2x/wk)

Spelling- AAS level 2 (4x/wk)

Handwriting- HWOT Cursive (4x/wk)

Reading- various for literature, history, science (1 to 2 hours daily)

Math- RightStart D (4x/wk), Primary Challenge Math (1x/wk)

History- SOTW 3 (3x/wk)

Science- Super Science Concoctions (2x/wk)

Geography- Map Skills workbook (2x/wk)

Latin- Minimus Secundus (4x/wk)

Spanish- various (2x/wk)

Critical Thinking- Primarily Logic (2x/wk)

Art- Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 2 (1x/wk)

Music- Composer study (1x/wk), listening to composer's music (daily)

Pretty much all of that.

English-SL/FLL (for younger 3); JAG (for oldest)

Writing/Handwriting-HWT

Spelling-SWR

Reading/Phonics-SWR/SL

Math-Right Start and Singapore, but we are a science family and the kids so far want to go into science fields.

Science- Apologia (all listen); RS4K and other stuff is for my oldest who does them independently.

History-TOG, which we do in small pieces taking longer than 36 weeks.

Art/Art Appreciation-TOG for the latter; art they do on their own I don't do formal instruction, just have books on the topic available.

Music/Music Appreciation-TOG for the latter; the former I will probably start with some self instruction books for personal enjoyment.

Poetry-when found in TOG

Read-Alouds-We try to do them daily, but lately we have only gotten to them once or twice a week.

Foreign Language-Oldest is doing LL independently

Memorization-All do Bible memorization only oldest does science and history terms, 2nd dd with start it next year (4th)

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork-yes to all. Middle two are doing FLL/WWE and oldest does CW.

Generally we do a little bit of everything daily.

Heather

I do most of this over the course of 12 years. When you break it down by that amount of time, it's not as overwhelming :001_smile:

We do memorization each year, including poety. We do a seperate course in the Grammar of Poetry in early high school (logos- could be done at end of eled).

Phonics is intense for 1-2 years at ages 5-6, then dropped when reading mastery is reached.

Read alouds done throughout.

Writing/Handwriting done through 3rd grade, then copywork.

Spelling from 3rd grade through mastery (or when they really get into emailing friends. I found this smoothes whatever rough patches are left-spellcheck rocks-they learn through using it).

Math- yearly. I wish we had a math tutor for upper high school.

Science- we do tons of science in eled through reading and living on our property. We do Apologia in jr and sr high school. We could work harder at this and accomplish more.

IEW writing begins in 4th grade and continues through 12th. IEW rocks.

History yearly using a zillion and one resources. We are history geeks here and own lots and use it all.

Art/ Art appreciation. I have a minor in art. All of my kids learn to draw, sculpt, collage and understand crafts (knitting, spining, woodwork, etc.)We could really improve on art appreciation.

Music/music appreciation. We listen to a wide variety of music. We will begin studying music appreciation with Logos' study guide this year. My older girls took piano for years. I can't afford music lessons for my littles at this time though I wish we could afford piano and violin.

Foreign language- Latin. I don't do a good enough job keeping on top of it.

My oldest in fluent in ASL, Romanian and Hungarian. My 2nd dd is fluent in ASL. This is an area I am going to really get on top of this year.

We don't do a lot of narration or dictation.

I leave out things according to grade and ability level. I dont' bother with phonics after age 6 becasue it is no longer necessary. I don't teach writing skills before 3rd grade becasue the kids are still learning the mechanics of writing. My kids have 4-6 classes per year, plus memory work. We do Bible and memory together. Sometimes my older kids help my littles. We do school in the summer. We take breaks throughout the year. It flows.

That's going to vary a lot by grade level, for me. Here's what I'm doing with a fifth grade boy this year:

Do you do...

English - grammar, yes, using Abeka - about 2 pages per day, plus tests at the end of chapters - about 30 minutes per day scheduled

Writing/Handwriting - yes, I started off the year using Getty-Dubay for handwriting about four days per week and interspersing some other writing work that I wanted to cover. Once the handwriting book was completed, I moved more into the other writing, including doing outlining and summarizing. He's just started in WordSmith Apprentice. I still intersperse extra Getty Dubay worksheets I've printed offline occasionally to help keep him in practice. About 30 minutes per day scheduled.

Spelling - yes, using Spelling Workout at one page per day of worksheet, then study and test on Fridays. We also work on any trouble words periodically. About 30 minutes per day scheduled.

Reading/Phonics - only did phonics in first grade until he got strong in reading. He reads about 30-45 minutes each day at a minimum. He often reads more than this. He also reads for his own enjoyment things not tied to school at all.

Math - yes, I use Singapore as well as MUS for drill. I schedule 30 minutes per day for this.

Science - yes, I use WTM recs of How Nature Works/How the Body Works and other extra works plus activities and experiments, field trips, etc. Two days per week @ 2 hours per day.

History - yes, using Kingfisher, SOTW, and other world history encyclopedias or compendiums, plus living books. Two days per week @ 2 hours per day.

Art/Art Appreciation - as I can schedule it into our history or lit reading time. He's also done some outside art classes and we regularly see plays, concerts, etc. He'll be taking an outside drama class after the new year. He takes piano lessons and his instructor does a composer study at least once a year with them, so we've been listening to several works by Mozart this fall.

Music/Music Appreciation - see above

Poetry - last year, we read and memorized poems for several weeks, did copywork using the poetry and did some work in writing our own poems. He entered a poetry contest at our local library. This year, we've used some online worksheets to again practice some different forms of poetry, metaphor, simile, etc. This was part of his writing time. We read poetry throughout the year as part of our lit/history reading time, as incorporated in some of the works we're reading. There is some poetry occasionally incorporated into his grammar program. I do not have him specifically memorizing a poem every week at this point.

Read-Alouds - I try to read from our literature selections at least 30 minutes a day, but often he finishes his written work much sooner than the time I've allotted for it, so we use that extra time for more reading. We also often listen to books on tape while traveling in the car, even after school hours.

Foreign Language - I am alternating Latin and Spanish so that 5 classes of each is covered every two weeks. I allow 30 minutes per class session. One week, there will be 90 minutes total Latin study and 60 minutes total Spanish. The next week, that will reverse. He also has a once weekly outside Spanish class with a native speaker.

Memorization - I have some specific classification information that he will be memorizing for the year related to our studies. He is memorizing Latin and Spanish vocabulary.

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? - I'm only doing dictation of Bible verses as part of our Bible study time this year. He is writing reports, generally, rather than doing oral narrations this year. He nearly always wants to read his reports to myself, my husband, or both if we're both around. He is doing some copywork using Getty Dubay italics to keep in practice on his handwriting.

And I'm doing a couple of things you don't mention.

Schedule:

8-8:30 Bible

8:30-9 Math

9-9:30 Spelling/Word Study

9:30-10 Grammar

10-10:30 Handwriting/Writing

10:30-11 Literature

11-11:30 Geography

11:30-12 alternating Spanish and Latin

12-1 Lunch

1-1:30 Reading time

1:30-3:30 alternating History and Science

On Fridays, we finish up our Bible work for the week. He generally only has a page of MUS math to do, unless I've scheduled an odd page to help finish up something else. He does his spelling test, but generally does not have anything else much to do in language arts, unless I've scheduled an odd page of grammar to help finish up a chapter or a grammar test. This is generally when he will write his reports, make corrections to things written earlier, etc. And it's also often a catch up day for reading time missed during the week due to field trips or other things out of the house.

He does a gym and swim class at our local YMCA on Fridays from 2-4 as part of his PE time.

Could you share what Catechism you use and what Greek? Also, do you have any music for your Catechism??

Thanks!

Carrie:-)

We do the Westminster Shorter. Dh uses this CD set, but the rest of us pretty much just use our little orange books. :)

I am using Elementary Greek, very, very slowly (I don't know Greek, so it is harder to get into it.)

For my 4th grader, we do everything you mentioned above. I don't do everything every day and some of the things are short lessons.

For my 2nd grader, we do everything except spelling, grammar, dictation and foreign language.

For my K'er, we only do math and handwriting (she isn't ready for phonics yet.)

My kids have 4-6 classes per year, plus memory work. We do Bible and memory together. Sometimes my older kids help my littles. We do school in the summer. We take breaks throughout the year. It flows.

What 4-6 classes do your 8 and 14 year olds have now?

I think I am overwhelming my kids and myself with so many classes. The Robinson Curriculum style really appeals to me, but I just can't do it.

Here's what we attempt to do w/ 6 yo ds:

English --

Writing/Handwriting -- HWOT

Spelling -- no, considering Sequential Spelling

Reading - yes, lots of reading. Nothing formal.

Phonics -- Phonics Pathways. And just decided to return to Explode the Code

Math -- Singapore Math

Science -- Lots of library books. Just bout REAL Science

History -- SOTW1 w/ CDs and Activity Guide

Art/Art Appreciation -- at co-op

Music/Music Appreciation -- just finished Christmas Choir. No other plans

Poetry -- just purchased Poetry CD. We'll just listen to these and let them soak in.

Read-Alouds -- yes

Foreign Language -- no

Memorization -- no

Plus Narration, Dictation, and Copywork? -narrations for history and science - we put these into a notebook or lapbook

I'm constantly thinking we need to do more. But then realize how young he is. So, basically we starting w/ the 3Rs and do as much as we can in 2-3 hours. If it doesn't all get done I know there is another day and he'll be OK.

KB