Menu

Shooting at a Texas elementary school

Terabith

I have one very extreme example how hard it is for people to admit that they supported the wrong thing.

So after Germany got defeated they showed the German soldiers videos about concentration camps as well as let them talk to people that were in there. A lot of the soldiers and Germans in general denied the Holocaust until their last breath. No matter what proof they were given they could not bear the truth. They could not admit what horrible thing they supported and lied to themselves that the others lied.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

Where does the NRA get their money?   I’m seeing charts showing how much money they’ve donated to senators and it’s $40 million.  That’s not just coming from $200 lifetime memberships and some magazines.  Where’s the rest coming from?  I’ve never considered it before.   

I don’t think that’s too political.  

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2021/11/nra-took-millions-from-its-charities-and-funded-political-groups/

They have $ raised for its operating budget and $$$ raised from political action committees, which much of is considered dark money, which means citizens are not allowed to know who the givers are 

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Honestly people are brainwashed. By NRA and the far right or something. My state has passed most of the laws proposed here.  In our area all the messaging is hurry up and buy before those crazy liberal laws go into effect.  They think the solution to school shootings is to give teachers guns.  It's ridiculous.  They are also "pro-life"😒 and anti-mask.  Many talk constantly about moving to Idaho.  I say please do 

And they wonder why teachers are leaving in droves. 

• Like 3

I mean, the move to Idaho thing is pretty scary. Things are pretty out there by any standard in Idaho right now.

Beto interrupted the press conference. I like that guy so much more when he has no political prospects. Do they know how absurd they sound when they criticize people for "politicizing" gun violence? And then turning around and blaming "entertainment" and "mental health" which is what my conservative relatives were posting was to blame today and touting the second amendment. Like, it's all political. You've also politicized it.

• Like 18

17 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I mean, the move to Idaho thing is pretty scary. Things are pretty out there by any standard in Idaho right now.

Beto interrupted the press conference. I like that guy so much more when he has no political prospects. Do they know how absurd they sound when they criticize people for "politicizing" gun violence? And then turning around and blaming "entertainment" and "mental health" which is what my conservative relatives were posting was to blame today and touting the second amendment. Like, it's all political. You've also politicized it.

If there’s such a known problem with mental health in the “population increase” in “that part of Texas,” why allow an 18yo to buy an AR15 with zero background check? Abbott said it wasn’t clear yet but the shooter “may have a juvenile record.” Makes absolutely no sense. None at all. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

If there’s such a known problem with mental health in the “population increase” in “that part of Texas,” why allow an 18yo to buy an AR15 with zero background check? 

Why is a person, whom the law considers too immature to be permitted to buy a beer, allowed to own any firearm?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Why is a person, whom the law considers too immature to be permitted to buy a beer, allowed to own any firearm?

I agree. And I don’t believe anyone outside of active military and perhaps a wildlife conservation officer culling wild boar herds should have an AR15, AK47 or the like. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, regentrude said:

My only response is that this nation is run by imbeciles.

We ban books because it might injure a child's feel feels cuz "CRT" but not guns because killing them is a.okay. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

My only response is that this nation is run by imbeciles.

We ban books because it might injure a child's feel feels cuz "CRT" but not guns because killing them is a.okay. 

We make teachers remove books about anti-racist babies and trans youth, yet expect them to weaponize their classroom. We've decided to force a woman to give birth yet won't fight for their healthcare. We write laws about trans youth using school restrooms and laws about teaching our country's history of racism, yet we refuse to allow bills to be debated and voted on about gun legislation. We can't get through a pandemic without debating the worth of the elderly and our youngsters vs the price of freedom. People have commented on how dystopian YA books have become. But if you think about it, we are living that right now.

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

If there’s such a known problem with mental health in the “population increase” in “that part of Texas,” why allow an 18yo to buy an AR15 with zero background check? Abbott said it wasn’t clear yet but the shooter “may have a juvenile record.” Makes absolutely no sense. None at all. 

From what I understand, he purchased both rifles from a federal firearms dealer. Therefore he would’ve gone through a background check. 

• Thanks 1

re NRA funding sources

2 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

Where does the NRA get their money?   I’m seeing charts showing how much money they’ve donated to senators and it’s $40 million.  That’s not just coming from $200 lifetime memberships and some magazines.  Where’s the rest coming from?  I’ve never considered it before.  

I don’t think that’s too political.  

Political non-profits and bundled PACs (the NRA umbrella has one of each) are not currently required to disclose their funding sources, so there is no way to answer this very good, democracy-shaping, question.

Back in 2018 NRA acknowledged to a Congressional committee that its non-profit arm accepted donations from foreign donors, but maintainted that it did not use any such funding on election-related spending.  (Against which there are FEC rules, though FEC does not have any mechanism to enforce them.)

Subsequently NRA has been charged with improperly moving funds from its charitable side over to its lobbying arm (again, there are both disclosure and tax-related rules for non-profits that preclude this)

1 hour ago, Idalou said:

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2021/11/nra-took-millions-from-its-charities-and-funded-political-groups/

They have $ raised for its operating budget and $$$ raised from political action committees, which much of is considered dark money, which means citizens are not allowed to know who the givers are 

They've also had a hot mess of related financial mismanagement leading up to that sleight of hand.

April 2021- former NRA chairman NRA chief Wayne LaPierre lurched the organization toward bankruptcy; acknowledging to board and other officials that he did not disclose using NRA funding for luxury yacht trips and other personal spending.

May 2021 - a federal judge *dismissed* NRA's effort to declare bankruptcy, deeming it a ploy to avoid penalties to lawsuit brought by the state of NY.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Beto is running for Governor and he just got some money from me because he engaged in Holy Chutzpah today.

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

re NRA funding sources

Political non-profits and bundled PACs (the NRA umbrella has one of each) are not currently required to disclose their funding sources, so there is no way to answer this very good, democracy-shaping, question.

Back in 2018 NRA acknowledged to a Congressional committee that its non-profit arm accepted donations from foreign donors, but maintainted that it did not use any such funding on election-related spending.  (Against which there are FEC rules, though FEC does not have any mechanism to enforce them.)

Subsequently NRA has been charged with improperly moving funds from its charitable side over to its lobbying arm (again, there are both disclosure and tax-related rules for non-profits that preclude this)

They've also had a hot mess of related financial mismanagement leading up to that sleight of hand.

April 2021- former NRA chairman NRA chief Wayne LaPierre lurched the organization toward bankruptcy; acknowledging to board and other officials that he did not disclose using NRA funding for luxury yacht trips and other personal spending.

May 2021 - a federal judge *dismissed* NRA's effort to declare bankruptcy, deeming it a ploy to avoid penalties to lawsuit brought by the state of NY.

Interesting.  Thank you.  That all just makes it worse in my mind, but it's good to know anyway.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

From what I understand, he purchased both rifles from a federal firearms dealer. Therefore he would’ve gone through a background check. 

I’d like more info about that, the articles  I read just said “local gun store.” (Not expecting you to provide it, but I’ll keep my eyes open for it.)

30 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

An hour??! He was in the classroom for an hour??! What the heck!!

😢Those poor, terrorized babies. My heart is broken. 

Just now, Grace Hopper said:

I’d like more info about that, the articles  I read just said “local gun store.” (Not expecting you to provide it, but I’ll keep my eyes open for it.)

😢Those poor, terrorized babies. My heart is broken. 

I don’t know about Texas, and it could be wildly different, but all gun stores in NY are registered federal fire arms dealers.  I have a friend who owns one and the federal licensing was an intense process.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Is your teen too puny to hold an AR 15? Does your toddler want to shoot like Daddy? Is your preteen in need of a weapon? Here ya' go. The JR 15, from Wee1

https://www.businessinsider.com/gunmaker-under-fire-launching-ar-15-for-kids-reports-say-2022-2

This is like some sick SNL sketch. 

Do y’all remember a few years back when that young girl at a firing range was given the opportunity to try one of these assault weapons? She couldn’t handle the kickback, spun around with the weapon firing and shot the adult instructor (firing range attendant?) in the head. It was all over national news sites. That’s what these gun manufacturers want more of? Totally abhorrent. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don’t know about Texas, and it could be wildly different, but all gun stores in NY are registered federal fire arms dealers.  I have a friend who owns one and the federal licensing was an intense process.

I guess we will find out if the shop owner followed protocol properly. But I suppose if he used his grandmother’s address nothing would have turned up with police calls to the home where his troubled mother lived. 

36 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I hadn’t seen that. That’s devastating. I was just reading earlier that 7 students had been released from the hospital and it hit me hard how traumatizing for those children who were in the room while so many of their classmates were killed. It’s unfathomable what they face to move forward from this. 

50 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Is your teen too puny to hold an AR 15? Does your toddler want to shoot like Daddy? Is your preteen in need of a weapon? Here ya' go. The JR 15, from Wee1

https://www.businessinsider.com/gunmaker-under-fire-launching-ar-15-for-kids-reports-say-2022-2

That is so disgusting. I was just reading this Atlantic story that was published after Parkland with a radiologist detailing the fatal difference between AR-15 wounds and hand gun wounds. 

What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns

With an AR-15, the shooter does not have to be particularly accurate. The victim does not have to be unlucky. If a victim takes a direct hit to the liver from an AR-15, the damage is far graver than that of a simple handgun-shot injury. Handgun injuries to the liver are generally survivable unless the bullet hits the main blood supply to the liver. An AR-15 bullet wound to the middle of the liver would cause so much bleeding that the patient would likely never make it to the trauma center to receive our care.”

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

How terrible! I read that he ran from his car that he crashed, with LE in pursuit, entered a classroom, shot others and was taken out by a border patrol agent. I am even more saddened than I was yesterday that he was in there for an hour?? 

• Like 1

Well this is depressing.

Support for stricter gun laws is dropping.

In 2021, Gallup found that 52 percent of Americans said laws covering the sale of firearms should be made “more strict,” compared with 57 percent in 2020 and a high of 78 percent when Gallup first asked the question in 1990.

Support for gun control usually rises after an event like this one, but then drops back down a few months later.

Support for background checks and expanding them remains high though:

81 percent of Americans supported making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks, including 70 percent of Republicans and 92 percent of Democrats. 

In other words, it's exactly as our Australian boardies are saying. The more Americans experience mass shootings, the less we want to do anything about it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I guess we will find out if the shop owner followed protocol properly. But I suppose if he used his grandmother’s address nothing would have turned up with police calls to the home where his troubled mother lived. 

None of that shows up on a background check for gun purchase.  Or if it does it doesn’t stop the sale. 

only these things stop the sale: 

• Convicted felons
  • People under federal domestic restraining orders
  • People convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence crimes against victims they have been married to, lived with, or had a child with
  • People committed to a mental-health facility, or a court ruled were mentally unfit
  • Fugitives
  • People convicted of drug crimes or determined to by a court to be addicted to an illegal controlled substance

https://usafacts.org/articles/firearm-background-checks-explained/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ND-JusticeDefense&gclid=CjwKCAjwp7eUBhBeEiwAZbHwkbGMZNkyVU2MEgJRPOk8ZBPP3PxUCTZXye8TrDVEzrRZDoeZzCSg0BoCIUkQAvD_BwE

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

None of that shows up on a background check.  Only convictions is my understanding. 

Here's an article with some information on how the background checks work. It's mainly felony convictions that show up, and a few other things. 

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/gun-background-check-nics-guide/

Also, regarding the gun store...this is just my assumption, but I believe the ATF has been involved in this investigation, so if something untoward happened with the sale of the rifles, I'm thinking it would have been reported. Of course, things could always change. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Well this is depressing.

Support for stricter gun laws is dropping.

Support for gun control usually rises after an event like this one, but then drops back down a few months later.

Support for background checks and expanding them remains high though:

In other words, it's exactly as our Australian boardies are saying. The more Americans experience mass shootings, the less we want to do anything about it.

I think we just look on in sorrow and no longer in anger. If the problem was easily solvable for the US, it would be solved, I am sure. 

Not having a civilian gun culture here has been more helpful than the laws, I think. Our gun laws have weakened over time, but gun crime is still relatively low. 

I'm actually concerned that will change; we've been very complacent since the post Port Arthur massacre.

Yes, it only took the suffering of two child victims for government to act, but there were reasons we could act.

You guys have a set of highly systemic problems blocking change or progress, but I don't think as a people you are any more unaffected by the deaths of children than anywhere else. 

• Like 3

This was written in 2017 and updated for issue today. Nothing's changed, scratch that, gun restrictions are even weaker in some parts of the country. The data don't lie. All the more galling when politicians hold up urban crime rates (where straw purchases and 'stolen' guns from neighboring lax states...looking at you Indiana) as justification for their, per capita, location on measures of violence and health.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/06/opinion/how-to-reduce-shootings.html

Did you know Chicago is having some success with social and emotional learning programs in schools as deescalation techniques? Social and emotional learning is banned as a subject for Florida's new textbook adoptions as part of its anti-CRT push. It's a race to the bottom for the southwest and southeast.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Did you know that most of the guns used in crimes in Chicago don't come from Illinois (which has stronger laws)? They come from gun dealers in the neighbor state of Indiana or that between 2015 and 2017 there was a concerning pattern of "downgrades" in the penalties issued to the offending businesses, so much so that the city of Chicago is suing the worst of the worst?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/4/15/23025545/atf-gun-dealers-chucks-gun-shop-blythes-sport-westforth-alcohol-tobacco-firearms-david-chipman

If guns used in crimes in Houston or Los Angeles or New York were traced, what would we find?

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Wait, just a thought.  Do most people think visits from police to an address show up on things like background checks to buy a gun?  Or arrests?

If most people don't know what shows up on the background check, that feels like a huge disconnect.  

I looked at the list you posted and think about two things which must hang in balance. We need better preventative measures, yet must respect “innocent until proven guilty.” Reasonable, meet-in-the-middle policies need to be hammered out. 

And my gut and heart and brain hurt because I know that our current legislature(s) are of no mind to sit down and put their brightest thoughts together. So so discouraging. 

• Like 3

The subhuman pond scum known as Alex Jones, who apparently hasn't learned anything from losing the Sandy Hook lawsuits, agreed with a caller who suggested that the Texas shooting could be a false flag operation. Jones said that the timing (before the NRA convention) is "very suspicious" and that "everybody should be able to question this because there's been so many false flags, so many provocateured operations." 

https://www.mediamatters.org/alex-jones/alex-jones-agrees-caller-who-suggests-texas-shooting-was-false-flag-its-very-suspicious

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 8

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The subhuman pond scum known as Alex Jones, who apparently hasn't learned anything from losing the Sandy Hook lawsuits, agreed with a caller who suggested that the Texas shooting could be a false flag operation. Jones said that the timing (before the NRA convention) is "very suspicious" and that "everybody should be able to question this because there's been so many false flags, so many provocateured operations." 

https://www.mediamatters.org/alex-jones/alex-jones-agrees-caller-who-suggests-texas-shooting-was-false-flag-its-very-suspicious

Where’s the 😡 reaction icon?  I honestly don’t know how he lives with himself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I looked at the list you posted and think about two things which must hang in balance. We need better preventative measures, yet must respect “innocent until proven guilty.” Reasonable, meet-in-the-middle policies need to be hammered out. 

And my gut and heart and brain hurt because I know that our current legislature(s) are of no mind to sit down and put their brightest thoughts together. So so discouraging. 

It does seem reasonable that there would be some provisions, like not buying a gun right after being arrested for murder or something.  But that's not the case at the moment.  But I guess people think it is?  If a lot of people think the background check is more thorough than its no wonder they think we don't need more.  It's hard to discuss let alone compromise when we aren't using terms the same way. 

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I didn't realize he was still on the air with all the Sandy Hook stuff.   

7 hours ago, Elona said:

What countries have your friends gone to? I see the writing on the wall in this country and I would really like to leave. With corporations and lobbyists running the country, greed will only take us into a hellscape that is quite terrifying. Presently, I am in no position to leave - our parents are in their early 70's and financially it just isn't feasible, but I want to plan. I don't want to be a part of this corrupt society anymore.

I have started investigating. Portugal looks to be fairly easy. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I think this is an insult to pond scum. Just sayin'!

• Like 5

re Alex Jones barking that 19 dead elementary school kids, not yet buried, some of them not yet identified, could be a false flag, just asking the question, many people are saying, seems kinda suss right before the NRA convention...

21 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

... I wish I believed in hell, so as to have the solace that that man would someday see justice.

The time Alex Jones' own lawyer said he was a "performance artist" who didn't believe his own on-air claims

The investigative reporting that revealed that Alex Jones' business model is hawking snake oil (er, vitamins) -- not selling ads -- which later became the basis of

The ultimately successful Sandy Hook lawsuit, which put those two pieces together to argue that Alex Jones knew full well THOSE dead kids were not, as he'd repeatedly claimed as he exhorted his supporters to go harass the grieving families, "crisis actors" ... but he'd intentionally hawked the defamatory lie so as to hawk his snake oil

His furious efforts since to claim he cannot, or anyway doesn't want, to appear for the court-ordered hearings in advance of a trial to determine the settlement amount.

In the midst of all that, he was able to find the time to lead a herd of merry men to breach a second Capitol door on Jan 6.  For good measure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ceilingfan said:

An AR-15 is nothing like an AK-47, for what it's worth. They just both start with the letter A and are guns. An AR-15 is more like a .22 than it is like an automatic rifle (AK-47).

This kind of claim is why gun rights people think the left are too ignorant to be making gun laws 

Why aren’t there more responsible gun owners with knowledge involved in making gun laws? 

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Why aren’t there more responsible gun owners with knowledge involved in making gun laws? 

Because the NRA and other gun lobbyists own the politicians who pass the laws. These lobbyists do not want ANY further regulation because it affects their profits. The gun lobby has so much money in the campaign budgets of candidates whom they want to get into office, that other more sensible, knowledgeable gun advocates cannot get into office. Money has corrupted our democracy and frankly, it is no longer functioning as it was intended. Look into the Citizens United supreme court case if you want to understand how this level of corruption has been given the green light in this country. This is why I do not have much hope for change.

Edited by Elona
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ceilingfan said:

An AR-15 is nothing like an AK-47, for what it's worth. They just both start with the letter A and are guns. An AR-15 is more like a .22 than it is like an automatic rifle (AK-47).

This kind of claim is why gun rights people think the left are too ignorant to be making gun laws 

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-r-0057.htm

Both AR15s and AK47s models can be considered assault weapons. Both can kill people in a way they bleed out fast. Both have been used in mass shootings. What more do we need to know? 

Excuse my bit of facetiousness. And thanks for calling me stupid, appreciate that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-r-0057.htm

Both AR15s and AK47s models can be considered assault weapons. Both can kill people in a way they bleed out fast. Both have been used in mass shootings. What more do we need to know? 

Excuse my bit of facetiousness. And thanks for calling me stupid, appreciate that. 

Both were designed for military use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

The same people saying that people that aren't experts in guns are too ignorant to make law about guns are just fine making laws about women's bodies when they are ignorant about reproduction.  

Not just that, but have you seen senators talk to Zuckerburg or any other tech giants in hearings?  They are regulating tech when they are still confused on how email works and think algorithms are about heart functions. 

Why are guns the only things we must have perfect knowledge of before being allowed an opinion? 

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 16