Menu

Extra cottage cheese

Dianthus

Just now, fairfarmhand said:

Anything that you’d use buttermilk to make. I dump it in cornbread batter. 

Maybe puree first? It seems so lumpy for muffins.

My bread recipe with cottage cheese is a stuffed bread with beef and cabbage inside and a lot of work, so I don't feel like knocking that out today, even though I have cabbage.

12 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Assuming you bake the muffins, the cottage cheese will get melty.

I found some cottage cheese muffin recipes. I'm going to try one, and maybe a cookie recipe. I already baked our usual bread this morning so don't really need more bread, though one loaf of cottage cheese dill bread might be nice with the salmon chowder I planned tonight. Yes, I think I'll do one loaf of dill bread, muffins and if anything left I'll try cookies.

1 hour ago, Spirea said:

Talk at my house:

"Mom is trying to make cottage cheese muffins."

"NO! That will be the death of me!" says my muffin man.

I’ve been serving a “Hulk” smoothie for YEARS to my kids. One of them finally wised up and asked recently “Why *is* this smoothie green anyway?”  😂

• Haha 1

In the oven:

https://www.loveandzest.com/blueberry-cheesecake-muffins-with-oatmeal-streusel-cottage-cheese-gluten-free/

But with regular flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 soda and turbinado sugar instead of streusel. And frozen blueberries. 

On the 2nd rise:

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/dilly-casserole-bread/09f13299-9889-4990-855f-41d7dd3d6847

But with 1 TBS toasted minced onion, added 1 TBS dill weed too, and I used the microwave to just heat up cottage cheese. No dirty pot.

Next thing planned:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/212789/best-ever-rugelach/

1 minute ago, mmasc said:

I’ve been serving a “Hulk” smoothie for YEARS to my kids. One of them finally wised up and asked recently “Why *is* this smoothie green anyway?”  😂

I asked dd why she doesn't trust my cooking (I am a good cook and baker). She says she trusts me but doesn't trust cottage cheese.

I had no idea she no longer liked it.

• Haha 1

Another 70s recipe:

Iceberg lettuce leaf in the bottom of a little individual salad/cereal bowl (bowl shaped, clean leaf.). 

Then a dollop of cottage cheese.

Then a few canned peach slices, with a little of the juice from the can spooned over them afterwards.

I stopped there, but my dad would add that reddish orangish salad dressing—Thousand Island I think?  I hate that stuff.

Anyway, this was not bad, kind of a refreshing side dish.

Personally, I like to spread cottage cheese thickly on heavy, dark bread—rye is good, and if you can find pumpernickel it is ideal.  Then sprinkle with kosher salt, and chopped fresh chives or scallion tops.  Yum!

8 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Another 70s recipe:

Iceberg lettuce leaf in the bottom of a little individual salad/cereal bowl (bowl shaped, clean leaf.). 

Then a dollop of cottage cheese.

Then a few canned peach slices, with a little of the juice from the can spooned over them afterwards.

I stopped there, but my dad would add that reddish orangish salad dressing—Thousand Island I think?  I hate that stuff.

Anyway, this was not bad, kind of a refreshing side dish.

Personally, I like to spread cottage cheese thickly on heavy, dark bread—rye is good, and if you can find pumpernickel it is ideal.  Then sprinkle with kosher salt, and chopped fresh chives or scallion tops.  Yum!

That would be French dressing. 

I make lemon-cottage cheese pancakes. Add water instead of milk, lemon zest, lemon juice. It tastes great! I basically use a lemon-ricotta pancake recipe and substitute cottage cheese for ricotta if that is what I have on hand. I can not tell the difference.

chef John’s recipe is what I use. I don’t eat eggs, so I use an egg replacer:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/257657/lemon-ricotta-pancakes/

• Like 2