Menu

How are gas prices impacting your life?

mommyoffive

21 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I am sooooo sorry, Kelly! That sucks. I wish we did more to subsidize income and costs for disabled people in this country. 

Lol, I’d just be thrilled if homeschooling moms are made eligible for disability if they had the work credits. This “x amount within the past five years” stuff  is ridiculous. If I earned it, I earned it. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

• Like 6

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

Also, we have an electric automower/lawnbot for our lawn.  It recharges itself every 2 hours. No gas, no fumes, almost no noise, no mowing on our part.

We switched to all electric, too. Not a robo type though. Ours are EGO brand. Our mower and blower. Runs off rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Less noise. No smell. No cords. I use a small Sun Joe for my hard to mow little patch of garden area in the back yard. Works great, but the cord is a pain. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

We have oil tanks in our basements. We order oil delivery, and that's what heats our homes (it's basically diesel fuel). In other words, people have to choose between going hungry or going cold. 

We filled our oil tank yesterday. Almost $1000. We last filled up about 5-6 weeks ago and it was about $450. We thought that was bad. I’m glad it’s March. Maybe we’ll get a little longer out of this tank. We live rurally and going anywhere is a drive. It’s too expensive to live in a city that’s walkable or has public transportation. We already live on a pretty tight budget in a HCOL state. The last car we bought was a used car for $1000. There is simply no way our budget will allow us to buy a newer hybrid or electric car. DH hasn’t had a raise of any kind in 3 years. We’re hoping for 1.5% this year which won’t even begin to cover COL increases. DH does have the option of working overtime but his job is rough on his mental or physical health so there will be major trade offs there. Attempts at transferring to a new job have so far not been successful. This could be a rough year.

I’m looking line by line of our budget looking for places to make cuts. They will be small things as we already cook from scratch, don’t eat out, buy almost everything used, and have only one activity we pay for. I fully understand, and agree with, sanctions and boycotts on Russian goods. I just hope our government remembers that not all of us have the resources to weather those sanctions easily and looks into options for easing the burden on it’s citizens. It will be difficult for us and even worse for others we know. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

47 minutes ago, popmom said:

We switched to all electric, too. Not a robo type though. Ours are EGO brand. Our mower and blower. Runs off rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Less noise. No smell. No cords. I use a small Sun Joe for my hard to mow little patch of garden area in the back yard. Works great, but the cord is a pain. 

The rest of our tools are electric and rechargeable battery powered too: weed wacker, blower, chainsaw and limb saw.  Rechargeable batteries have come a long way in recent years. We have a large battery and a small one that work with all the tools.  I'm very small (5 '1 ") and have spine issues, so I use the small. lighter battery whereas my husband uses the heavier, big one.  We don't usually run out of juice on a job, but when we do, I recharge and finish later but my husband swaps out the larger one for the smaller one and has always been able to finish the task.

I fully support more people going electric, but want to remind people that many electric grids are at or near capacity, so we need to vote in politicians willing to maintain and expand them with tax dollars.  It's a worthwhile investment.

OP, I'll stop derailing this thread.  I see there's another thread for further discussion of energy independence:

Edited by HS Mom in NC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

We switched to electric years ago too.  Maybe 7 or 8 years ago.  We don't have a snowblower, kids do that job.  We have an electric non robo mower.  We did have the kind that plugged in while you mowed and it was a pain with cord.  Totally doable, much like vacuuming the house.  Dh ran over a few cords.  But we got an electric one that does not have to be plugged in to mow.  The battery is just charged and then put in the mower.  Totally works for us.  I had been thinking about the robo ones.  Seems like a great way to get out of that chore all summer.

• Like 1

Besides a bit of a jolt when I see the number at the pump, my life hasn't really changed.  Dh works from home and I only work 2 days a week.  My job is the only regular thing that's "far" from home and it's only 12 miles.  Everything we need is in walking distance.  Most of what we want is within 4 miles of the house.  Our family car is a wheelchair accessible minivan.  The mileage isn't amazing, but it's not horrible.  I usually fill up once a month or less.  Right now I have half a tank so I'll probably wait a few weeks to see if the prices drop a bit.  After that I guess I'll bring a book and sit in the costco line.  I have half a tank so I may ride it out another week or so and see what happens.

Shut the front door! Because of this thread, I just searched and a gas station near my work has gas for $4.07 (regular).  It's $4.19 at Costco.  It seems this whole county is cheaper than mine. 

On 3/9/2022 at 9:47 AM, popmom said:

We also switched our mower and blower to electric when they both bit the dust last year. We have a pretty small yard, so didn’t really consider the automatic mowers. I really wish more companies would switch, at least for the blowers, because the sound of the regular ones is so loud and annoying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Price has jumped close to 30 cents per litre from 3 days ago. 
 Unleaded $2, 85 $2.20, 98 $2.30 diesel $2.30

Cheaper than Adelaide town area still… $2.19, $2.34, $2.45

same every fuel station I passed. I’m not sure if it’s a state difference or rural versus city thing 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Price has jumped close to 30 cents per litre from 3 days ago. 
 Unleaded $2, 85 $2.20, 98 $2.30 diesel $2.30

AUD 2 per litre for unleaded would convert approximately to USD 5.52 per gallon. That’s higher than $5.29 where we usually go to.

• Like 2

$4.09 Costco, $4.15 at 3 others close to me, and $4.29 at 2 others near me.  All on the way to my boys’ swim practice.  I’m trying to slow down my speed (I’m a lead foot 😎) to conserve gas.  I also wait in my car at my boys’ classes.  Will be able to keep the car off while I wait since it is getting warmer.  

• Like 1

It's severely affecting us.  In March we have three trips planned in the RV  -- one trip to see a child over spring break (this trip is now done), one with another child for his spring break (leaving tomorrow and this one is close by so we probably have enough fuel in the tank), and one trip at the end of March which is just my husband and me.  I was thinking of canceling that last one, but at this point we'd probably lose more in cancellations than the additional price of gas, so we're going.  I'm not planning a summer trip, though, and probably not a fall trip either. So very disappointing.  With both of our kids finally at an age to leave alone, this was going to be our break-out year for longer trips in the RV.  

My younger son commutes to a community college in the next county over, and now it's costing him around $8 each time he goes, although luckily he only goes three days a week, and the rest are online classes. He had been planning to buy a car to take to college next fall, but he has now decided it's not worth it at this time -- used cars are up, in addition to the cost of fuel.  I hope we can get him in a dorm or in an apartment close to campus.  Dorms are hard to get for junior transfers at many of the NC colleges due to dorm shortages and freshman getting preference.

Finally, the gas prices are even affecting where I shop.  I can go to the Food Lion that's close by for about $1-$2 in gas, or the Walmart across town for about $4.  If I want to go to any of the other places I like, like Harris Teeter or Aldi, it will cost me $8 in gas, so I just don't go to those places unless we're in the area for something else.  

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Serenade said:

It's severely affecting us.  In March we have three trips planned in the RV  -- one trip to see a child over spring break (this trip is now done), one with another child for his spring break (leaving tomorrow and this one is close by so we probably have enough fuel in the tank), and one trip at the end of March which is just my husband and me.  I was thinking of canceling that last one, but at this point we'd probably lose more in cancellations than the additional price of gas, so we're going.  I'm not planning a summer trip, though, and probably not a fall trip either. So very disappointing.  With both of our kids finally at an age to leave alone, this was going to be our break-out year for longer trips in the RV.  

My younger son commutes to a community college in the next county over, and now it's costing him around $8 each time he goes, although luckily he only goes three days a week, and the rest are online classes. He had been planning to buy a car to take to college next fall, but he has now decided it's not worth it at this time -- used cars are up, in addition to the cost of fuel.  I hope we can get him in a dorm or in an apartment close to campus.  Dorms are hard to get for junior transfers at many of the NC colleges due to dorm shortages and freshman getting preference.

Finally, the gas prices are even affecting where I shop.  I can go to the Food Lion that's close by for about $1-$2 in gas, or the Walmart across town for about $4.  If I want to go to any of the other places I like, like Harris Teeter or Aldi, it will cost me $8 in gas, so I just don't go to those places unless we're in the area for something else.  

Used car prices are insane! Everything local is in the $20,000 range and has 150,000 miles on it. That is nuts.

Ds's car was totaled - deer hit - and can't be repaired (he couldn't swerve because of oncoming traffic, took the deer head on, and was on a little patch of black ice when it happened so he ended up in the ditch also hitting a small tree on the side. Twisted frame on am old 2003 Buick so ya, not much money from insurance.) We can't find anything he can afford. So right now, I share a vehicle with him. He goes to grad school in the fall, and really should have a car, but probably won't if prices do not subside.

13 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Used car prices are insane! Everything local is in the $20,000 range and has 150,000 miles on it. That is nuts.

Ds's car was totaled - deer hit - and can't be repaired (he couldn't swerve because of oncoming traffic, took the deer head on, and was on a little patch of black ice when it happened so he ended up in the ditch also hitting a small tree on the side. Twisted frame on am old 2003 Buick so ya, not much money from insurance.) We can't find anything he can afford. So right now, I share a vehicle with him. He goes to grad school in the fall, and really should have a car, but probably won't if prices do not subside.

This is another reason I’m trying to limit trips and encourage dd to limit trips.  I’m very much not open to facing repairs or replacement from accidents. My last repairs took *weeks*, months really, to be completed.  I’m having a hard time getting in for just an oil change right now.

And we have lots of deer.

21 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Holy cow.  I would love to get that for dh's car we are hopefully trading in today. It has less miles than that.

8 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I’m trying to slow down my speed (I’m a lead foot 😎) to conserve gas.  I also wait in my car at my boys’ classes.  Will be able to keep the car off while I wait since it is getting warmer.  

I want to know how to drive slower on the highway without getting boxed in by a half dozen (or more) trucks at a time. I drive slightly faster than I'd really like to because it's safer than getting stuck between all those trucks so that I can't see and respond to hazards (and often can't see my exit). Even with 3-4 lanes in one direction, it's really hard to not get stuck. 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:29 PM, Lucy the Valiant said:

Where I live, the cost of oil also affects home heating cost.

Our new home is heated by oil; we have oil tanks in the basement.  It was almost $1000 last month to heat our 1500 square foot home.  We also now live out in the country and everyplace is a good 15 mile drive, even if it’s just for a gallon of milk. 
Obviously no one can predict the future, but it kills me that we moved from a house that was heated by forced air and electricity(we’re renting it out and utilities are included, and they spent around $75 last month to heat the entire 2600 square foot home) in a village where we could walk everywhere we went except work.   We had wanted to move for a long time, but right now it’s just a huge drain on the budget that we wouldn’t have had if we’d stayed.

• Sad 6

As of now, nothing has changed, but depending on how long it goes on I’m thinking that I might have to cut my twice a week gym trips to once a week. I always need to get groceries once a week, though in a pinch even that could be reduced. I bought a kettle bell and an exercise mat at goodwill today with gas prices and driving reduction partly in mind. I could build up more of a home gym bit by bit if needs be.

22 minutes ago, Emba said:

As of now, nothing has changed, but depending on how long it goes on I’m thinking that I might have to cut my twice a week gym trips to once a week. I always need to get groceries once a week, though in a pinch even that could be reduced. I bought a kettle bell and an exercise mat at goodwill today with gas prices and driving reduction partly in mind. I could build up more of a home gym bit by bit if needs be.

I've gotten loads of exercise equipment from auctions and Craigslist