Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

https://fortune.com/2022/01/21/what-is-stealth-omicron-new-covid-variant-substrain-denmark/amp/

I’ve been watching this for a couple of days thanks to some doctor friends and one of my favorite doctors on Tiktok covered it today(tifftastic75).  It is—very concerning as far as transmissibility.  I know everyone talks about decreased hospitalizations and that’s great, but something mild that’s more transmissible than Omicron is serious stuff.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

19 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

https://fortune.com/2022/01/21/what-is-stealth-omicron-new-covid-variant-substrain-denmark/amp/

I’ve been watching this for a couple of days thanks to some doctor friends and one of my favorite doctors on Tiktok covered it today(tifftastic75).  It is—very concerning as far as transmissibility.  I know everyone talks about decreased hospitalizations and that’s great, but something mild that’s more transmissible than Omicron is serious stuff.

Right because even if it does not overwhelm the health care system, it will keep ravishing the work force. School won't be open because everyone will be constantly sick. Shipping is halted because constant sickness in large numbers, food, medical supplies, how does it get delivered? And of course all viruses come with the possibility of what are considered "rare complications." But they aren't going to seem rare when tens of millions of people in a single nation are sick at once. Things just grind to a total stop until it rages through in a way that is worse than what we have now. What we have now is bad enough. So yes, I am seriously keeping my stink eye on this stupid substrain.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KSera said:

That’s a great idea. It struck me a few weeks ago that it’s too bad my youngest has weaned—would have been a stop gap until vaccines are out. 

I have BF our oldest 4 until 2 (or a little past that). Our yougest will be 2 this fall. My plan at this point is to continue as long as he wants past that, even though mentally I'd prefer to stop then. I figure that even if he can be vaxxed by then, getting more antibodies through breastmilk can't be a bad thing. And, especially as we'd be heading into cold/flu/more winter sickness season around here, he might be the kid I nurse the longest.

Our county is completely overwhelmed. The health department has dropped to weekly updates. They are unable to contact all positive cases by phone, so are mailing results. I used to be sad when we had 2 dozen-ish cases a day. The newest weekly update has us averaging over 60 cases a day. (Which may not sound like many to some people, but for our rural county it's a lot.) 

• Like 2

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-22/omicron-covid-causing-fatigue-in-mild-cases/100767496

This is more of an anecdotal story/article but this made me think of you @Mrs Tiggywinkle. If at all possible you really need to rest up for a bit.

• Experts say you're more likely to get persistent COVID symptoms if you've had a severe bout of the illness
  • However, US researchers are finding patients with mild COVID-19 are developing long COVID
  • The experts suggest "pushing through" COVID, even if it's mild, could result in long COVID   
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, barnwife said:

I have BF our oldest 4 until 2 (or a little past that). Our yougest will be 2 this fall. My plan at this point is to continue as long as he wants past that, even though mentally I'd prefer to stop then. I figure that even if he can be vaxxed by then, getting more antibodies through breastmilk can't be a bad thing. And, especially as we'd be heading into cold/flu/more winter sickness season around here, he might be the kid I nurse the longest.

Yeah, my youngest was 3.5 and we were six months into covid, but the vaccine wasn't available yet and it wasn't on my radar to even think of passing covid vaccine antibodies through my milk. I'd been working toward weaning for many months and I'm not sure I could have gone longer because youngest always had the most irritating latch 😳. If I had a two year old though? Easy decision to keep going for now. At the time, I think I expected it wouldn't be this long between the adult vaccine being available and the youngest kids being able to get one. The news hasn't been encouraging on that front lately.

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The experts suggest "pushing through" COVID, even if it's mild, could result in long COVID   

I'd kind of been wondering if that's was the case.

And if it is, the current advice for everyone to suck it up and get back to work on day 5 could really come back to bite us all in the butt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

And if it is, the current advice for everyone to suck it up and get back to work on day 5 could really come back to bite us all in the butt.

Yes, ITA. The current guidance for five days of isolation and then back on the saddle is ridiculous. At the least they should have gone a couple days longer for the minimum, and there should be an explicit recognition that symptoms and fatigue may really continue for longer. They should have given a range for possible isolation days and there should be a negative-test requirement for leaving isolation, not some idiotic arbitrary one-size-fits-all number of days.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

It was definitely the case with my sister. 

I found out this morning that my mom tested positive today, my sister and bil were positive earlier this week, and my nephew and his fiance have had covid this week. Next Friday my nephew and fiance are supposed to get married. My mom's husband started developing symptoms today, but probably won't test. He met with 11 other men yesterday for a Bible study, but won't tell them his wife tested positive. He says he wore a mask the entire time, so they were protected. The mask was likely a fabric one my sister made.

My mom called tonight and asked how to get the supplements I suggested (thank you, Hive!). She ran them past her Dr, who agreed with everything I said and added quercetin (which I'd forgotten because I was making suggestions off the top of my head at work) and NAD + for post covid recovery. They're all ordered and will be arriving in the next week and a half. Some of them may arrive too late to benefit her. She doesn't qualify for mab. When I suggested Mom should rest and not push herself, she told me that my cousin's husband had had covid and ended up in the hospital because he laid down too rest too much, so she's concerned about resting and getting a hospital stay. That makes no sense to me, but whatever. Mom is more likely to listen to them than to me. I was very surprised she followed up with her Dr about my suggestions and then called to ask how to get them.

I'm so thankful my dd didn't visit with them last weekend! She was supposed to, but my mom didn't want her driving in snow. 

I'm supposed to be flying Wednesdayout for the wedding on Friday. Everyone should be post covid, but I'm still nervous about it, so I'm considering shortening the visit and just flying out to visit my dd. Or if I attend the wedding, I would probably mask the entire time, including pictures. That would be awkward and, honestly, looked down on, because that side of the family doesn't believe in masks. I don't know if they still believe covid isn't big deal. At this point, if it didn't disappoint my dd, I might not fly out at all. Thoughts?

Edited by Tree Frog
I changed my username. If anyone wants to know who I was, please pm me. I'm glad to share. :)
  • Sad 5

Covid finally hit our family over the past few weeks.  First was my 18yods.  We're assuming exposure happened during a basketball game.  He was the only one on our team that got it (at least that was symptomatic).  He is fully vaxed, not boostered.  He had a fever for one day, sore throat for two, and laid around for the third day which is when I finally tested him with a rapid test.

My dh tested positive at about the same time.  He was fully vaxed and boostered (late November).  It hit him harder, but not awful, he was off work for about three days but then went back to working online from home this week.  He's being careful to not get too tired.  Still gets headaches but he gets headaches frequently anyway.

My 20yods had exposure at work - he is training to be a semi-driver and his trainer tested positive.  He may have had it . . .some coughing, no fever and I had no tests left so he didn't test.  He has allergies so there was no sign of excess coughing or sneezing beyond the norm so he didn't think anything about it so its a chicken/egg situation.  Did his trainer expose him and he passed it onto us or did he expose the trainer?  Who knows . . . 

No one else seems to have gotten it but my younger two had slight cough but nothing else.  I had a cough since I was sick back in December, who knows?  

Editing to add:  We have found that the five days guidelines seems to work in my 18yods' situation.  He played with his team starting on day six (after much discussion among the powers-that-be at the school) and I was holding my breath that it didn't spread through the team.   It's been over a week now and no spread among the coaches or teammates.

Edited by Tenaj
  • Like 6

15 days ago since dh first had symptoms- he started with a headaches, then body aches, fatigue, some congestion. He felt fairly icky for about 7 days and was still recovering strength/energy for a few more. 

A few days after he started with the headache I had some fatigue, not a lot but I was a little laggy. I had a tiny bit of congestion- felt like slight allergies. During that time dd2 (12 yrs. finished vaccination in Nov) said she had some fatigue and stomach hurt a bit. I couldn't tell any difference in her energy levels so it was slight- stomach could be explained by diet changes.

8 days after started with his symptoms I had a really rough day with fatigue and feeling icky. After that I had fatigue but it gradually lessened until a week later and now I feel pretty well normal. 10 days after dh started I had more noticeable congestion but it was still slight. I took mucinex 3 nights but only at night. I had a slight intermittent cough for maybe 24 hrs. I tested twice but never got a positive. I'm now out of tests and can't get in anywhere to test. 

Dd1 (14 yrs old- finished 2 doses in June- need to get a booster but need to plan around breaks) started feeling bad 10 days after dh's symptoms started. Slight fever for less than 24 hrs. Lots of body aches, fatigue, and a decent amount of congestion. 6 days later she has some lingering fatigue and congestion but is getting better. She got a positive 4 days after symptoms.

No one else has had symptoms. I'm thinking my booster did a pretty good job. 

Dd1 and Ds had to wear a mask 10 days after dh's positive and go in for temp/symptom checks daily with the nurse. (masks are optional at their school). Now that dd got her positive she is supposed to go back 5 days after the start of symptoms (not test) as long as she is improving. They were out Mon-Thurs this week so she wouldn't have to go anyway. Technically yesterday she could have went- as it had been long enough and she was improving but I moved the date forward b/c she still had enough fatigue I thought it would be too much for her to do a full day. I think she'll be ok to go by Monday. OH, and the school totally took my word about the home test. They had me call the health dept so they could get it excused by them but I can't get tested through them b/c there are absolutely no openings.

Dh had to stay home 5 days and then mask 5 days at work. Now, that he's had it he can't get contact traced for 3 months.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

29 minutes ago, Soror said:

15 days ago since dh first had symptoms- he started with a headaches, then body aches, fatigue, some congestion. He felt fairly icky for about 7 days and was still recovering strength/energy for a few more. 

A few days after he started with the headache I had some fatigue, not a lot but I was a little laggy. I had a tiny bit of congestion- felt like slight allergies. During that time dd2 (12 yrs. finished vaccination in Nov) said she had some fatigue and stomach hurt a bit. I couldn't tell any difference in her energy levels so it was slight- stomach could be explained by diet changes.

8 days after started with his symptoms I had a really rough day with fatigue and feeling icky. After that I had fatigue but it gradually lessened until a week later and now I feel pretty well normal. 10 days after dh started I had more noticeable congestion but it was still slight. I took mucinex 3 nights but only at night. I had a slight intermittent cough for maybe 24 hrs. I tested twice but never got a positive. I'm now out of tests and can't get in anywhere to test. 

Dd1 (14 yrs old- finished 2 doses in June- need to get a booster but need to plan around breaks) started feeling bad 10 days after dh's symptoms started. Slight fever for less than 24 hrs. Lots of body aches, fatigue, and a decent amount of congestion. 6 days later she has some lingering fatigue and congestion but is getting better. She got a positive 4 days after symptoms.

No one else has had symptoms. I'm thinking my booster did a pretty good job. 

Dd1 and Ds had to wear a mask 10 days after dh's positive and go in for temp/symptom checks daily with the nurse. (masks are optional at their school). Now that dd got her positive she is supposed to go back 5 days after the start of symptoms (not test) as long as she is improving. They were out Mon-Thurs this week so she wouldn't have to go anyway. Technically yesterday she could have went- as it had been long enough and she was improving but I moved the date forward b/c she still had enough fatigue I thought it would be too much for her to do a full day. I think she'll be ok to go by Monday. OH, and the school totally took my word about the home test. They had me call the health dept so they could get it excused by them but I can't get tested through them b/c there are absolutely no openings.

Dh had to stay home 5 days and then mask 5 days at work. Now, that he's had it he can't get contact traced for 3 months.

Glad you all are on the  mend and had a mild time of it.  

Didn't some of you or all of your family have Covid before?  Did that play into who had it this time at all?  

Did you isolate people at all in your house, or just live normally?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Glad you all are on the  mend and had a mild time of it.  

Didn't some of you or all of your family have Covid before?  Did that play into who had it this time at all?  

Did you isolate people at all in your house, or just live normally?

D's got Covid fall of 2020. That's it. We strictly isolated him. I don't think that played into him not getting it. I think it was more because he is around everyone the least (room in the basement and he tends to chill on his own more- DD still occasionally sleeps upstairs with the girls and hangs out in the living room). He has a job (which is now testing everyone regularly in addition to adding back the requirement to mask). Dh was exposed several times but never got it. We both gave blood regularly to get antibodies checked in case we missed a case and never had any until vaccination. ( they dont test for antibodies anymore) 

By the time he tested pos he had been around us for 2 days so we didn't bother to quarantine. We didn't know until afterwards everyone that was out due to covid at his work. I was also less concerned since I had just been boostered and the kids are all low risk, and this variant has been milder. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

13 yo vaxxed dd tested positive on a rapid test at home. She could have gotten it at dance or at a big youth group activity we had. We had been been basically back in a pretty regular routine once vaxxed and did not pull back even when omicron surged even though we knew it was risky. So when she had some congestion we tested her and we weren’t surprised she was positive. She is on day #5 right now and never had a fever or anything worse than some nasal congestion. Definitely would have just said she had a little cold. We’ll keep her home for a few more days to be sure. 

Dh and I have made no effort to isolate from her. We are vaxxed and boosted and figured it was too late by the time she was positive and it isn’t really practical.  I do have a cough but had a pcr test yesterday and it just came back negative. Dh hasn’t had any symptoms.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Dh and I have made no effort to isolate from her. We are vaxxed and boosted and figured it was too late by the time she was positive and it isn’t really practical.  I do have a cough but had a pcr test yesterday and it just came back negative. Dh hasn’t had any symptoms.

Glad it’s been mild for your dd and you and your dh have been doing okay. With a cough, I would assume I had it if I were you. It seems weird so many PCRs are coming back negative the first time and only positive later with omicron, but for some reason it seems like it often takes longer to test positive with it . 

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

Glad it’s been mild for your dd and you and your dh have been doing okay. With a cough, I would assume I had it if I were you. It seems weird so many PCRs are coming back negative the first time and only positive later with omicron, but for some reason it seems like it often takes longer to test positive with it . 

Yeah I’ve definitely just been assuming I have it. I don’t need to go anywhere so I can just stay home as though I was positive. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Thanks for mentioning it. The only place that I've seen it discussed is a site that I can't find much information about. While they seem to be really evidence-based, I don't like to pass on sites that aren't as transparent about who they are. 

16 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

My mom's husband started developing symptoms today, but probably won't test. He met with 11 other men yesterday for a Bible study, but won't tell them his wife tested positive. He says he wore a mask the entire time, so they were protected. The mask was likely a fabric one my sister made.

Ugh. At least the anti-maskers are honest (for now). While they were going to the store "vaccinated" this spring, the lack of mask requirements have allowed them to be honest again. This kind of behavior just makes me despair of ever finding a church again. If you need leverage to get him to do the right thing, feel free to tell him your online friend said so!  

I can understand maybe not saying something if you're REQUIRED to work while someone at home is positive because it could cause panic, and it's probably common knowledge that it's the work policy, but a Bible study is not a requirement, and it's reasonable to assume people will quarantine! I really hope we stay healthy because DH will be required to work if one of us tests positive when he doesn't. I think patients deserve to know that, but I would worry about his safety if he told them, and it's common knowledge that this is being pushed by TPTB. Also, he's in the ER, and the ER is brimming with Covid. 

I hope everyone in your family weathers this well!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Ugh. At least the anti-maskers are honest (for now). While they were going to the store "vaccinated" this spring, the lack of mask requirements have allowed them to be honest again. This kind of behavior just makes me despair of ever finding a church again. If you need leverage to get him to do the right thing, feel free to tell him your online friend said so!  

I can understand maybe not saying something if you're REQUIRED to work while someone at home is positive because it could cause panic, and it's probably common knowledge that it's the work policy, but a Bible study is not a requirement, and it's reasonable to assume people will quarantine! I really hope we stay healthy because DH will be required to work if one of us tests positive when he doesn't. I think patients deserve to know that, but I would worry about his safety if he told them, and it's common knowledge that this is being pushed by TPTB. Also, he's in the ER, and the ER is brimming with Covid. 

I hope everyone in your family weathers this well!

I'm hoping the retirement community they live in will say something. When they were exposed inadvertently at Christmas by us, Mom didn't want to mask to go to the dining room to pick up their meal because "other people will know" and she didn't want to notify the community. This time, they've notified the community, so she's quarantined. I don't know if he's qualified. They have a note on their cottage door telling other residents one of them tested positive.

I hope you're all able to stay healthy, especially your dh! 

• Like 3

It's not peer reviewed yet, but here is some encouragement for those of you with children too young to be vaccinated.

eta the standard caveat regarding hospital overwhelm: However, "because of Omicron's increased transmissibility, the overall number of emergency department visits, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, and mechanical ventilator use in children may still be greater" with Omicron than with Delta

Edited by popmom

2 hours ago, popmom said:

Not necessarily encouraging if your young children aren't white:

The investigators have also observed that infection rates were disproportionately higher in Black and Hispanic children for both Omicron and Delta for this age group, and the gap widened for infections with Omicron, said study leader Rong Xu of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Not yet published data shows that "children under 5 had the highest infection rate with Omicron" compared to older children and adults in all age groups, she said.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, KSera said:

Not necessarily encouraging if your young children aren't white:

What do you all have against encouraging news? lol Yes, I did read that. Did it say anywhere that minority children are more at risk of hospitalizations or serious illness? As a percentage of cases? What do you think I need to know that I don’t know? 

Have you looked into rates of death and hospitalizations among minority children in the US? I haven’t. Further along the article cites studies of those who have certain genetics that protects them from severe disease. Among those are people of African descent. This/my statement in no way excuses inequity in access to healthcare. I’m just adding data for those interested.

Edited by popmom

15 minutes ago, popmom said:

What do you all have against encouraging news? lol Yes, I did read that. Did it say anywhere that minority children are more at risk of hospitalizations or serious illness? As a percentage of cases? What do you think I need to know that I don’t know? 

I love encouraging news, there’s just not enough info here for me to know if I should feel encouraged or more worried.  It didn’t give enough info to know if that increased risk for minority children makes it more or less dangerous for them than previous variants. 

18 minutes ago, KSera said:

I love encouraging news, there’s just not enough info here for me to know if I should feel encouraged or more worried.  It didn’t give enough info to know if that increased risk for minority children makes it more or less dangerous for them than previous variants. 

Ok Thx

Edited by popmom

I will add my testing experience. I started having symptoms last Tuesday afternoon 1/18. I drove to a drive through mass testing site on Wednesday afternoon about 24 hours after symptom onset. It was a saliva PCR test. I got my results 48 hours later—negative. Today I finally received a box of rapid tests I ordered weeks ago, so I decided to test today. (I still have hoarseness and cough). I got a faint positive. I’m 5 days into this. Lesson for me is —don’t waste your time or money until you’ve been symptomatic a few days. 

This is exacerbating my asthma—not in my lungs—not needing rescue inhaler. I’ve had NO wheezing which is great. But my airways are very reactive and inflamed—my cough is getting worse. I am using Pulmicort, but I expect I’ll end up needing a Medrol Dose Pack. 

We’ve had COVID in this house off and on since 2 days before Christmas—each time an adult child brought it home while visiting. 

I posted before that I thought I already had it right after Christmas, but I realize now that was PEM due to the holiday. 

ETA: I’m feeling much better overall. I’m getting some stuff done around the house, etc, but definitely still taking it easy. For me this has been much like a cold. In fact I’ve had colds that did cause me to wheeze on top of the coughing. Also, my nephew with worse asthma than me just had it. He’s 18. It didn’t worsen his asthma. He is recovering well. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 4
  • Sad 4

On 1/21/2022 at 4:57 PM, Matryoshka said:

In my case I rested and isolated for 13 days but the day I came out we had the postponed family only wedding for my daughter.   Then it was Thanksgiving, my daughter's temple sealing (LDS faith)which required a trip out of state, and then Christmas with our large family.  By January I was bed ridden and I have often thought I needed more rest and recovery after but I didn't really get that chance.  I knew I wasn't back to normal and was very winded and fatigued etc but I am used to a month recovery for bronchitis and figured it was almost over.  But yeah by January I couldn't even sit at the table for meals.   

• Sad 13

Update on former boss and his wife. They are six days past positive test. They started out saying "just like a little cold" but aren't saying that anymore. She thinks that by the time she is two weeks out, she will be on the mend. He is still coughing hard, though he hasn't needed treatment, layringitis, raw throat despite zinc lozenges and hot toddies, and really bad fatigue. She thinks it will be another two or three weeks before he can return to work. She is also REALLY angry with his doctor for saying this is a mild case. In her mind a mild case of covid should be a mild cold. 😤😡 We are nearly two years into this, and the medical community has been clear that mild is a range, and it doesn't mean "no big deal". Sure, my 21 year old had the " hardly noticed I had it" experience, but a crap ton of mild cases make a bad case of influenza seem like a day at the park when it comes to the fatigue and recovery aspect.

She emailed me to say they would come out of isolation on Thursday, but I told her they really need to have negative tests despite what the CDC claims, and that not resting enough could cause problems down the road. She is reluctant to continue isolation because that challenges her previously held notion that covid is absolutely no big deal and wildly over exaggerated. Sigh. They could end up ruining their health! And his type 2 went winky and hasn't gotten back down. Seems to me they need to concentrate on resting AND getting his blood sugar under control. He still has vacation time coming. He hasn't taken a vacation day in two years, and he is allowed to bank them! 

• Sad 1

My nieces and sister seem to be doing better and I think mine is just about over, assuming I had covid-- I assume so since Mom tested positive too. She is also doing better. About 2-3 weeks of mostly snotty, some achy, cough. Very easy to assume allergies and or a cold especially since it is the season for it. Think we got it at the airport waiting for their flight refund to be arranged, since we were all in the same area.

• Like 1

State of Affairs: Jan 24 - Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)

There’s a lot we don’t know about this variant, but we have a few clues so far:

• Transmissibility: The consistency of BA.2 growth across several counties means that it’s more transmissible than BA.1. It’s likely nothing like the huge transmissibility jump we saw from Delta to Omicron, though (500% growth advantage). This means that Omicron waves will likely be drawn out (like we are seeing in Denmark or France). In places like the United States, we may see two peaks for the same wave. This won’t be a massive wave on top of another massive wave, though. It’s still Omicron.

• Severity: Early data from Denmark shows there’s no disease severity difference between BA.1 and BA.2.

• Immunity: There is likely to be minimal differences in vaccine effectiveness in BA.2 compared to BA.1. In other words, our boosters will still work very well. It is also very likely that there will be cross-reactivity: BA.1 infection will protect against BA.2 infection.

We know this virus will mutate. And BA.2 is an example that it’s doing what we expect. We should keep an eye on this, but I’m not too concerned right now. I’m more concerned about another variant popping out of nowhere like Omicron did.

United States

Cases in the United States have largely plateaued at 690,448 cases per day (208 cases per 100,000), with a modest 2% increase over the past 2 weeks. The Northeast has clearly peaked, with cases plummeting in New Jersey (–64% 14-day case change), Washington DC (–61%), New York (–58%), and Maryland (–54%). This is offset by growth in Oklahoma (+196%), Idaho (+174%), Alaska (+164%), and Wyoming (+141%).

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 8

I just love it when a filthy rich dude with exactly ZERO expertise in medicine, virology, epidemiology, or public health spouts off his opinion because 'I am white nd rich so of course I am an expert in everything and the whole world should listen to me". 🙄😠

Meanwhile in Denmark, sub variant omicron.......

• Haha 2

So sad. The young associate pastor around the corner just informed me that their five year old has been hospitalized. The whole family tested positive for covid this week. The little boy went down hill fast, and their doctor - overwhelmed with patients - couldn't seem him nor could anyone's else. Urgent care waved them away due to overrun, the stitch and ditch said they couldn't even begin to treat him. They devolve into the city, and the third hospital ER they came to said they had no bed and no doc available, but they would put him on a gurney in the hall with oxygen, and one of the parents would could stay to keep the mask on him and tend him, but the other would have to leave. They said that someone who is helping call around to find open beds in the state or even out of state would try to get a bed, and he would be taken by ambulance if he remained fairly stable or by chopper IF they could get one.

His wife stayed, and he came home to be with their other child. A grandparent reluctantly came to stay with their 2 year old. But while she was heart broken over her grandchild, she was also pretty freaked out as a 72 year old to be taking care of a still positive and symptomatic covid toddler. She only had a cloth mask! 😱 If they had called me before they left for the hospital, I would have donned my KN95, scrubs, lab coat, and gloves, and taken care of that child myself, then showered, bleached the clothes, and wore a mask around here for several days to protect dh. I could sleep separate as well though we would still have to share a bathroom.

It is an effing nightmare out there! I am staring darts of pure disdain and rage at all of the let it rip people!

He was crying on the phone, and it just broke my heart. I cannot imagine how terrified they must be, and given how overrun Michigan is, if is entirely possible that child could be sent out of state alone! I.can.not.imagine.

Despite the advances of modern medicine, we are experiencing the collective trauma of The Black Plague! How our nation comes back from this, I do not know.

• Sad 23

Wow @Faith-manor that is just horrible.

I am not excusing people's behavior AT ALL but I honestly think a lot of the people I know personally have never heard stories like this.  Or if they have they say, well, that is Michigan, and we're okay here in Ohio. There is so much (wilful?) ignorance of the situation, coupled with really bad messaging (I still know people who think being home with COVID for a couple of weeks is  "bad case" and they must have got the "bad version." I just shake my head and say nothing.)   But to see that sort of head in the sand from my friends who are believers, that is the most painful for me.  Praying for your pastor's family and their precious child.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I am not excusing people's behavior AT ALL but I honestly think a lot of the people I know personally have never heard stories like this.  Or if they have they say, well, that is Michigan, and we're okay here in Ohio. There is so much (wilful?) ignorance of the situation, coupled with really bad messaging (I still know people who think being home with COVID for a couple of weeks is  "bad case" and they must have got the "bad version." I just shake my head and say nothing.)   But to see that sort of head in the sand from my friends who are believers, that is the most painful for me.  Praying for your pastor's family and their precious child.

It is a shocking level of willful refusal to face facts. I cannot wrap my head around it. I just don't know what it takes to get through to people. I feel very done trying too.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

So sad. The young associate pastor around the corner just informed me that their five year old has been hospitalized. The whole family tested positive for covid this week. The little boy went down hill fast, and their doctor - overwhelmed with patients - couldn't seem him nor could anyone's else. Urgent care waved them away due to overrun, the stitch and ditch said they couldn't even begin to treat him. They devolve into the city, and the third hospital ER they came to said they had no bed and no doc available, but they would put him on a gurney in the hall with oxygen, and one of the parents would could stay to keep the mask on him and tend him, but the other would have to leave. They said that someone who is helping call around to find open beds in the state or even out of state would try to get a bed, and he would be taken by ambulance if he remained fairly stable or by chopper IF they could get one.

His wife stayed, and he came home to be with their other child. A grandparent reluctantly came to stay with their 2 year old. But while she was heart broken over her grandchild, she was also pretty freaked out as a 72 year old to be taking care of a still positive and symptomatic covid toddler. She only had a cloth mask! 😱 If they had called me before they left for the hospital, I would have donned my KN95, scrubs, lab coat, and gloves, and taken care of that child myself, then showered, bleached the clothes, and wore a mask around here for several days to protect dh. I could sleep separate as well though we would still have to share a bathroom.

It is an effing nightmare out there! I am staring darts of pure disdain and rage at all of the let it rip people!

He was crying on the phone, and it just broke my heart. I cannot imagine how terrified they must be, and given how overrun Michigan is, if is entirely possible that child could be sent out of state alone! I.can.not.imagine.

Despite the advances of modern medicine, we are experiencing the collective trauma of The Black Plague! How our nation comes back from this, I do not know.

a sad face is not enough, I feel so bad for them and so mad at how we got here.

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I think people here would just say those are sensationalized stories.

I do wonder if Ohio's approach of dividing the state into different zones in order to coordinate hospitalizations and such has helped. Even though he was stripped of his abilities to set public policy, DeWine worked with the various medical communities to distribute supplies and keep communication flowing between various entities. 

I know hospitals that normally compete are putting out joint notices about the rates of hospitalization of vaccinated vs. not and things like that. They are doing quite a few joint statements (Kettering and Premier). 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I know hospitals that normally compete are putting out joint notices about the rates of hospitalization of vaccinated vs. not and things like that. They are doing quite a few joint statements (Kettering and Premier). 

I know this might be a distraction to the thread, but I found this paragraph fascinating, and it made me curious. Could you maybe briefly explain what you mean by hospitals that "compete"? What are they competing for / about? Do they have excess capacity that they are eager to fill? In what ways is the competition made evident such that people know about it?

I'm here in a country with nonprofit medicine, but I'm aware of the American system. I just kind of thought that for-profit medicine was profitable because people need healthcare. In my imagination a hospital would be profitable because it was well-run and efficient, and that they were all basically likely to do reasonably well. An angle of competition hadn't occurred to me. So I'm curious how that works.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I'm so sorry.  😞  I feel so sad when I read how alone COVID patients are.  It feels so cold and dark.  This is my worst fear, is not being able to be with my child because he/she is a Covid patient. I am not sure what all the rules are, but it is horrible enough for the adults. I cannot imagine the children. 

• Like 1

Just now, bolt. said:

I know this might be a distraction to the thread, but I found this paragraph fascinating, and it made me curious. Could you maybe briefly explain what you mean by hospitals that "compete"? What are they competing for / about? Do they have excess capacity that they are eager to fill? In what ways is the competition made evident such that people know about it?

I'm here in a country with nonprofit medicine, but I'm aware of the American system. I just kind of thought that for-profit medicine was profitable because people need healthcare. In my imagination a hospital would be profitable because it was well-run and efficient, and that they were all basically likely to do reasonably well. An angle of competition hadn't occurred to me. So I'm curious how that works.

Locally, it means one of the two hospitals bought property across the street from the other and is doing that up and down the whole highway. Instead of building an actual hospital, they are building stand-alone ERs where you might have to be transferred if you need admitted or need some kinds of testing, but customers don't necessarily know this. The original hospital has been in a semi-underserved community for 100 years, and the other facility definitely took a lot of ER business away. 

Meanwhile, the hospital that did this was intentionally misleading to the community about what they were going to do with the property.

So there's that, lol! 

There are still plenty of nearby underserved communities that could use the medical care if they had wanted to build elsewhere.

• Like 1